Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyVM Vegas: What's the Deal? - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyVM Vegas: What's the Deal?

Comments

• Both down. KVM and OpenVZ.

• @akb said: PingdomAlert UP:

BuyVM (buyvm.*******) is UP again at 15-02-2013 03:37:58AM, after 57m of downtime.

:-)

Your clock is horribly miscalibrated. It was actually 23.5 minutes of downtime.

• @Soylent said: Your clock is horribly miscalibrated. It was actually 23.5 minutes of downtime.

Plus spin up times, plus quotas to re-calculate on OVZ

• pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
    edited February 2013

Spin up times and disk sanity stuff is a murderer of downtime.

Good thread. Made me realize to check NTP syncing on everything and put more assets under monitoring.

Fran has to be having an adult sized fit over this. Shame.

• @Soylent said: Your clock is horribly miscalibrated. It was actually 23.5 minutes of downtime.

I am not clocking anything. Just pasted from pingdom which checks my vps every minute.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Not all nodes were up same time, fact is 2 show still as down, so, unless you know you were both on same node you do not know how much downtime some other guy had.
    Even if on same node, not all containers start the same moment, there might be minutes of delay.

Clock miscalibration shouldn't matter too much if time it went down and time it came back up was logged by the same clock. You're just looking at the difference between the 2 times.

• My node is reported as up, can't get my OVZ to boot though...

• SoylentSoylent Member
    edited February 2013

The internet sarcasm detector is broken today. I'm taking the piss out of @pubcrawler. My informal count of downtime was 54 minutes. I'm using an extremely sophisticated measuring technique that goes like this:

Be using the server when it goes down.
    Note when it actually stopped working by my client timestamp.
    Be reconnecting obsessively because I need to get shit done.
    Note when it actually starts responding again, by my client timestamp.

So, not accounting for any quantum drift or subwarp radiation fields or anything, my very own clock reported 54 minutes of downtime. Downtime in this context meaning, "I could not use the damned server."

• Still down over an hour here :(

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2013

@Soylent said: So, not accounting for any quantum drift or subwarp radiation fields or anything, my very own clock reported 54 minutes of downtime. Downtime in this context meaning, "I could not use the damned server."

OK, now the detector identified that as definitely positive.

• Only seeing this offline now: ovz-lv-27 1h 16m

It's all good @Soylent. Fair enough :)

• JacobJacob Member
    edited February 2013

Say it as it is @Maounique. :P "I hate aldryic", hate is a strong meaning so I wouldn't hate someone just dislike their attitude.

• YAY :-)

Went down at: Feb 14 2013 09:11:16 PM GMT Was down for 90 minute(s)

• Down over 2 hours now :(

• Like I said, buyvm should pruchase excusevm.com now.
    I wonder what their excuse will be....waiting...

• @LAKid said: Like I said, buyvm should pruchase excusevm.com now.

I wonder what their excuse will be....waiting...

Why do you find it so difficult to accept that the issues may just be down to the DC?

• @Roph said: Down over 2 hours now :(

Nope, is up

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited February 2013

@Nekki
    For LAKid, many things are hard to accept.

• @Roph, any idea of what server you are on? Looks like everything is back up...

• edited February 2013

That "OH SHIT" moment when the power goes out and it gets quiet in the DC haha

• Meanwhile at WHT:

Hello,

We at Fiberhub are diligently working to rectify the the power issues experienced in our facility the past 2 days, and are doing everything possible to ensure that there are no further power disruptions. In the 3+ years our facility has been in operation, power uptime across our facility is over 99.99% - we take uptime very seriously.

We take full responsibility for this issue - this problem should not reflect negatively on Frantech, as they are not at fault in any way here.

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

@Roph That's a lot of downtime :(

• pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
    edited February 2013

I'd certainly be replacing the electrician if not the company he/she works for at this point.

This stuff happens, but might be prudent to make it happen after hours and do so in a work window that is scheduled.

• @Amitz said: Meanwhile at WHT:

@amitz @pubcrawler Not to kick too hard when down...
    http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/194448#Comment_194448

but the question becomes when will it end. After another 3 outages? 10? The unfortunate thing is moving somewhere else may be inevitable, all of FH good intentions aside.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited February 2013

@unused
    I am not trying to be BuyVM's advocate at all. Of course this sucks big time for any customer doing serious stuff with their VMs! I am just lucky because my BuyVM VPS is only for backups and testing.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

This sucks for BuyVM and FiberHub. I can't imagine any other LEB providers will be jumping to colo with FH in the near future. Network drops because of misconfigurations or attacks are one thing, but power loss is a whole 'nother beast.