Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyVM Vegas: What's the Deal? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyVM Vegas: What's the Deal?

Comments

• @qps said: yesterday evening there was some kind of major fiber outage that caused a blip in traffic.

I can confirm. It happened a few hours before the actual power outage.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Ishaq said: I can confirm. It happened a few hours before the actual power outage.

For us that was a buffer issue on the router.

The plus side is that since the issue popped up I was able to find out some of configuration variables that were really under valued.

I've noticed a fairly big boost in my own download speeds and we're waiting on feedback from others.

Speeds from LAS -> NY has improved greatly too.

Francisco

• Looks like LV is down again. Watch the red grow: http://buyvmstatus.com/

• Yeah, I was just starting another thread, but this one works fine. You can watch the nodes go down one after the other.

• My KVM just went down. =(

• Sigh, thinking of moving away from BuyVM after this :( really disruptive for ZNC.

• SoylentSoylent Member
    edited February 2013

I'm getting intensely irritated with all of this. I'm a loyal customer, but god damn. Might be time to go with Buffalo or try out Ramnode or Prometeus.

• Also @francisco, please move your IRC off your own network after this?

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited February 2013

I gotta admit, it's kinda funny watching the nodes go down one by one. Looks like we've reached full penetration now

• @Rolph, Fran is indeed moving the IRC and other pieces to another network for sanity. Unsure of the ETA, but I know it can't be soon enough for many of us.

Looks like facility wide Fiberhub outage. Weird traceroutes now too.

• Fiberhub it self is down along with all the dedis at versa web so not at all BuyVMs fault.

• This downtime is getting ludicrous

• Just great, another downtime from buyvm. Just joined and it's a nightmare so probably time to find another company that really cares

• Getting this end point on routes:

(from Missouri)
    2: 10gigabitethernet1-1.core1.mci3.he.net 10.368ms asymm 3
    3: 10gigabitethernet5-1.core1.den1.he.net 12.246ms asymm 4
    4: no reply

(from Buffalo)
    3: buf-b1-link.telia.net 0.889ms asymm 5
    4: te0-0-0-6.mpd21.yyz02.atlas.cogentco.com 13.082ms asymm 9
    5: nyk-b6-link.telia.net 10.127ms asymm 6
    6: xe-1-2-0.las10.ip4.tinet.net 80.896ms asymm 9
    7: xe-1-2-0.las10.ip4.tinet.net 101.546ms asymm 9
    8: 199.127.56.196 82.108ms asymm 11
    9: 199.127.56.196 89.463ms asymm 11

Noticed a server in Fiberhub just sprang back to life...

• No server downtime though. Wasn't power to servers... Hmmm

• In 3-5 days i had atleast 2 big downtimes and numerous network issues. How come these guys got good reviews when everyone seems to be complaining now?

• Did we just have an HE outage?

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

This must be the 4th downtime after they moved there.

I guess Murphy is on a spree now, feel bad for Fran.

• apollo15apollo15 Member
    edited February 2013

Another power outage?

Sadly, BuyVM gets effected by FH issues too much :(

• pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
    edited February 2013

Boy, this is going to be an interesting outage. Was facility offline for sure, not just BuyVM.
    Looks like HE outage though and Cogent... Hmmm someone muck up the routing over there?

Looking at traceroutes:

4: 10gigabitethernet1-2.core1.slc1.he.net 24.518ms asymm 5

That seems to be one place that had a problem. Was gone, offline.

And... coming from Buffalo, the route to Cogent looks like it was down also...

WTF?

• @gsrdhrdghd The word "funny" shouldn't really enter this thread.

BuyVM will be back to doing what they have been doing right for the past couple of years, it's not a fault of buyvm anyways, downtime at FH has just come at a bad time.

I don't like commenting on threads like this... because karma is a bitch.

• On valentine's day, I miss the love I used to have for my BuyVM VPS when it was in SJ :-)

• @Jacob said: I don't like commenting on threads like this... because karma is a bitch.

I'll do it for you... This sucks!!!

• There should be vendor categories on LET so I can get all my buyvm discussions in one place.

• @Jacob said: @gsrdhrdghd The word "funny" shouldn't really enter this thread.

Don't get me wrong, it's certainly not funny for the people on the nodes or for BuyVM. I just meant that it's fascinating watching the servers go down completly ordered (and now also coming back up ordered)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@pubcrawler said: Looks like HE outage though.

If that is true, there is some serious bad karma going on.
    I mean, downtime with move, immediately power failure, some more power failures, now HE outage too ? In less than a month, must be some EGI voodoo.
    Francisco broke the internet...
    I wouldnt want to be him now, I hope he goes through with his sanity full.

• I am curious (as a customer) why BuyVM's time to get back online is significantly more than it should be when outage occurs?

About 9 minutes ago server from other provider at same facility sprang back to life. Still waiting for KVM at BuyVM to reply/reappear.

We all need to demand the network tinkering be scheduled and ideally at low use hours. Applies to all providers.

• @Maounique, I was wrong. HE and Cogent were both down to Fiberhub. Someone with more routing knowledge of BGP can dig around in the routes and advertised route history and see if anything there is smoking gun.

Was a short downtime, suspect routing.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2013

@pubcrawler said: We all need to demand the network tinkering be scheduled

If this was an upstream unplanned outage, I dont see how buyvm could notify anyone beforehand ?
    I would have taken the "opportunity" to do some upgrades/tweaking if I still had access to the infrastructure, better a larger downtime than a few smaller, even if one unplanned and the rest planned.