Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyVM Vegas: What's the Deal? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyVM Vegas: What's the Deal?

Comments

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@pubcrawler said: I am curious (as a customer) why BuyVM's time to get back online is significantly more than it should be when outage occurs?

About 9 minutes ago server from other provider at same facility sprang back to life. Still waiting for KVM at BuyVM to reply/reappear.

We all need to demand the network tinkering be scheduled and ideally at low use hours. Applies to all providers.

They need to wait for their routers to get back online and also getting 100 VM's online is not the same as getting 1 empty server online. Not sure how their monitoring works, though. I could be wrong.

• @pubcrawler said: About 9 minutes ago server from other provider at same facility sprang back to life. Still waiting for KVM at BuyVM to reply/reappear.

Well there seems to be a big difference between the BuyVM servers too. Some were down for ~10 minutes, for others it's 30 minutes

• True @Maounique. Would expect an upstream to go offline, but not both. Even router should be redundant against hardware failure. Bad routing it would seem.

Situation cleaned up way fast for anything else to have gone wrong. Should be interesting.

• Could be power... Which would mean these downtimes at BuyVM. Didn't see power issue with other provider though. That provider did get booted offline just the same.

• pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
    edited February 2013

Offline detected from my new ping monitoring (Thanks @fliphost):
    Feb 14 2013 04:28:21 PM EST

Back up at:
    Date/Time: Feb 14 2013 04:31:13 PM EST

Was down for 3 minute(s)

That was monitoring a node from @24khost

• heading for a full hour downtime, nothing unusual for buyvm.

• 3 nodes still down, including one I'm on :(

• Back up at BuyVM.

up 4 min.

Power outage it would seem.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@pubcrawler

Woot glad to see its working well.

• Was 20 minutes more for BuyVM offline.

Original downtime was 4:28 PM. 4:52PM back online for me = 24 minutes downtime.

• @kXander: Come down... BuyVM are good people with a shitload of bad luck at the moment. If you are not happy (which is understandable), then leave. But they are way better than your actual impression is.

• NightNight Member
    edited February 2013

My KVM is back up but my ovz is still down

• pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
    edited February 2013

4:28 - 4:57 = 29 minutes @Night

Did someone notice this before 4:28?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Amitz said: But they are way better than your actual impression is.

They are old and established provider, one of the first in the LEB concept.
    A lot of bad luck recently. Used to have hundreds of days of uptime.

• @pubcrawler said: 4:28 - 4:57 = 29 minutes

The node I was actively using at the time went down well a couple of minutes before buyvmstatus showed it as being down. It could conceivably have been more than 29 minutes for him.

• SoylentSoylent Member
    edited February 2013

@pubcrawler said: Did someone notice this before 4:28?

My server went down at 4:11pm, by the timestamp in my client.

Edit: Node 17.

• @pubcrawler Openstatus emailed me at 4:15 EST

• @Maounique: That's what I am saying. Have I been ambiguous?

• @pubcrawler said: Did someone notice this before 4:28?

[21:16] Roph> and there goes buyVM LV again :/ offline
    [21:17] * lbft_ has quit (Ping timeout: 380 seconds)
    [21:17] Roph> they really need to quit hosting their IRC on their own network..

• This is terrible. I think it's time to reconsider Fiberhub after all their issues they're having. Thought EGI was a problem, but this is worse.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Amitz said: @Maounique: That's what I am saying. Have I been ambiguous?

No, I was supporting your statement and added a bit extra.
    I personally hate Aldryic but have no issues with BuyVM, if anything, nobody can say I am biased in their favour.

• @Soylent @Night got my time range from monitoring elsewhere outside BuyVM. Their status pages show 22 minutes or so. I counted 22 minutes.

Of course we all have these number comparisons and probably some unsynched clock times...

• My OVZ VPS was down about 35 minutes.

Notification Type: PROBLEM
    Host: bvm
    State: DOWN
    Address: 205.185.121.xx
    Info: CRITICAL - Host Unreachable (205.185.121.xx)

Date/Time: Thu Feb 14 13:13:35 PST 2013

---

Notification Type: RECOVERY
    Host: bvm
    State: UP
    Address: 205.185.121.xx
    Info: PING OK - Packet loss = 0%, RTA = 160.48 ms

Date/Time: Thu Feb 14 13:49:04 PST 2013

• I'm unsure of how to respond to that constructively. My client showed 4:11pm. All I know is that it sucks either way. Do you get a cookie if the outage is under 30 minutes or something?

• @pubcrawler Any number differences should be minutes, due to intervals of status checking. Not sure who does your monitoring, but it's ~20 minutes off.

• I had a box colocated with FiberHub. Yeah... Get used to his sort of thing, sadly. I really wanted them to be good, since I live in Vegas, but now my server's over at Joe's Datacenter. There's all sorts of fun stuff aside from the actual infrastructure, but that sure didn't help matters any when it came time for me to pull out.

• @Maounique said: No, I was supporting your statement and added a bit extra.

I personally hate Aldryic but have no issues with BuyVM, if anything, nobody can say I am biased in their favour.

Ah! I misunderstood you then. ;-)

• I may have self inflated my monitoring time to detect up to 3 minutes more by retest before failure set at 2. 25 minutes downtime I'll say then, instead of 22.

• @Night, good point to look into. Time sync. Ticketing that now.

• PingdomAlert UP:
    BuyVM (buyvm.*******) is UP again at 15-02-2013 03:37:58AM, after 57m of downtime.

:-)