Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyVM Vegas: What's the Deal? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyVM Vegas: What's the Deal?

Comments

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

Yup FH is great. I wish @pubcrawler was as nice to me as he is to other providers. Seems the bar for ChicagoVPS is set much higher in his head. I guess that's a good thing though.

• Come on @CVPS_Chris, looked at CC routing lately? You creamed over the weekend issues and remixing the upstream providers. Told people paying coin in Buffalo that they were nuts or stupid or something equally disturbing...

Folks signed on to 6-12 or even 24 month plans at CC and now they get "Gogent" + Telia + ???.

Plus didn't Buffalo drop the power this weekend? Yeah it did. Same sort of problem. The electrician did something. I had a node down in Buffalo on Sunday and a node down in Vegas today. Score card say: Fiberhub -1 Colocrossing -1.

Kick Fiberhub all you want. I don't get a check from them. Me I think you all need to find some competent electricians already.

Last time I checked Fiberhub owns their own facility and aren't a colo style/cage customer. Compete with them when you have a facility.

• With MySQL master-master, haproxy, and rsync why wouldn't everyone have multi-dc redundancy built in? (especially at Leb prices)

It was for less than 3 seconds, and no downtime except rebooting machine.

I would rather be in a better facility than to own it and run half assed. Cogent was a test. Level3 is still used. Fact is you are much harder on me than anyone else, why?

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2013

Here we go with @CVPS_Chris and @pubcrawler again. As I said before, walk away.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@CVPS_Chris said: It was for less than 3 seconds, and no downtime except rebooting machine.

That's downtime no? Since your box may or may not need to FSCK?

Ours was ~1 minute but the routing was giving me some grief due to some config changes I made.

Anthony had all nodes spinning back up within 5 minutes of the router being up.

Francisco

• Well my slong is bigger than both of theirs lol

@CVPS_Chris said: Cogent was a test.

It's not a test, Jon has confirmed to me that he will be keeping it in the blend with Telia. L3 is there but at 5% as he also stated.

Who knows their network better? Jon or you? If you, why? You keep drawing these lovely lines linking you with CC directly then complain when people point it out.

Francisco

Fran you already know that's not true as XO should be added to replace cogent. When that should happen, I don't know.

Stop lying and speak the truth ;-) I also had no FSCK on the downtime and was up within 3 minutes.

K, here's the truth:

Hi Fran,

Thanks for the comment on the logo -- the new website will be released soon as well. Buffalo will be prominently featured on that new design along with our other 2 primary pops (Chicago and Dallas).

Level3 is still active on the network, though it is de-preferred both inbound and outbound. This is a cost based decision, plus, to be perfectly honest, we prefer the routes we're seeing over Telia and Cogent in many cases. At this time Level3 is taking about 5% in each direction.

Cogent is in the network at this time, equal preference outbound and slight de-preferred inbound to deal with the Comcast saturation issues between the 2 networks.

Telia is a full equal in both directions.

XO will be coming online in the next 2 weeks, the contract is already signed.

Also, since I know you have a good reputation at LET and may be curious; a small segment of cabinets at the Buffalo site experienced a 2-3 second power outage today during routine UPS maintenance on one of our 6 units. The unit that caused the problem was set to bypass mode while we replaced some fans and electric control modules -- all of the work went smoothly and was conducted by vendor support. The critical load failure on that single UPS system occurred when we switched back from bypass to inline. Engineers from the vendor support team are investigating the root of the issue and at this time everythign is functioning normally. In the future we will be sending maintenance notices to all potentially effected customer groups, even if the work is not anticipated to cause any problem.

Just wanted to give you an update on things. Thanks again for the post.

Jon Biloh
    VP Operations, ColoCrossing.com
    Office: +1 (800) 518-9716 ext 101
    Mobile: +1 (716) 949-3858
    Fax: +1 (716) 335-9628

Ticket ID CC-23372.

Francisco

• twaintwain Member
    edited February 2013

hehe BuyVM moved? I forgot I have 2 DNS servers (ISPConfig slaves) running on BuyVM's and they are working fine... have no idea if they were down or for how long.. I just didn't notice or care, but they are working fine! :) Guess I could login and do an uptime and last...

• @Francisco so many excuses here and there, what would it be next week?
    Already set up for excuses expecting more downtimes?
    Just became a king of excuses...

• Power outage is power outage. 3 seconds of power is still power down. Blame it on the blue collar working man.

Then again, I know some CC customers were being sold A+B power, well told to have it as an addon, even though not even available as a standard addon for a rental server.

True CC had less downtime than Fiberhub.

As far as the Cogent issues, others can speak to what they are seeing. Cogent is still in the mix though. L3 is down to what 15% of transit. XO coming in soon (yippie). Hey it wasn't me mocking other provider with Gogent parody in ads, that was all Jon or whoever posts the offers on WHT. Now CC is pumping Cogent. Funny. Surely Buffalo customers know whatever changes with network are happening.

Now in all fairness to Fiberhub, what is half assed there @CVPS_Chris? Do tell in the confessional.

@LAKid said: @Francisco so many excuses here and there, what would it be next week?

You're welcome to call up FH and ask them for the RFO :)

Francisco

• @Francisco last time I checked EXCUSEVM.COM is available, why don't you register?

• @LAKid said: @Francisco last time I checked EXCUSEVM.COM is available, why don't you register?

Good one!

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Fiberhub still seems good, and for the record, the week or so I had a BuyVM server in that location it was excellent.

@shovenose said: Fiberhub still seems good, and for the record, the week or so I had a BuyVM server in that location it was excellent.

Human error happens alas. I'll be seeing about getting us dual feeds onto a different panel when I'm down there at the end of the month. Almost all of our boxes have hotswap power supplies as an option so I can add those if the cost isn't silly.

Francisco

• @Francisco Are you still happy with FH?

• @Jack said: it was the DC's fault.

THE ONE TIME it's legitimately the DC's fault..

• LOL @LAKid is @CVPS_Chris's backup, he will say anything so that chris looks good. Also LAKid last time I checked you were having massive issues in LA, CVPS? Where those DC, CVPS, or ExcuseVPS.com's fault.

@jcaleb said: @Francisco Are you still happy with FH?

Yep.

Their techs do good work, the network runs well.

Things happen. In Coresite while we didn't have outages, we still had to do 2 massive planned power maints because they broke their generators.

I'm pissed, don't get me wrong, i'm extremely pissed off, but I've had long chats with all of the people involved over there and these things are their biggest fear.

Francisco

• LV OVZ ipv6 doesn't seem to be working.

@richard said: LV OVZ ipv6 doesn't seem to be working.

Oops, lets fix that right quick!

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2013

@MonsteR said: Fiberhub seem to be looking more and more unreliable how long have you been with them and what kind of experience have you had with them? Just wondering if this is a ongoing issues.

We've had three power outages in the past month or so.

Additionally, yesterday evening there was some kind of major fiber outage that caused a blip in traffic. I don't know if it was specific to Fiberhub or not, but Fiberhub said it was a Zayo issue.

We've been there since November and those are the only issues (that come to mind).

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2013

@Francisco said: You're welcome to call up FH and ask them for the RFO :)

We still never got an RFO from the last two outages, even though I requested one. All I know is what I read here from @Francisco.

One of them was due to a bad shutoff breaker in their...3rd? breaker panel.

They had someone come in and simply remove the cut off since it wasn't needed and was a point of failure as they found out first hand.

This one was UPS related.

Just talk to Rob, he'll fill you in.

Francisco

• Ah, this is too bad. Hope the trend doesn't continue, but having my doubts as discussed previously. All the best to BuyVM.

• ipv6 still isn't working

@richard said: ipv6 still isn't working

I've asked Anthony to reload sysctl on all the nodes. It seems some of them didn't load ipv6 forwarding.

Francisco