Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Scalaway C2 Intel Avoton based dedicated server - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New Scalaway C2 Intel Avoton based dedicated server

Comments

• info_hash said: So they totally stopped the arm ones?

No. You have 3 choices of install, c1, c2 (with three configs) and vps

Thanked by 1info_hash
  • SvenSven Member
    edited March 2016

@ebony said:

The webinterface is working for me. Ill give it a try

• jvnadr said: No. You have 3 choices of install, c1, c2 (with three configs) and vps

Nice. With so many options available from different solid providers, having idle vpses "just in case" or "because it was a really good deal" makes less and less sense (if it did make any ;) )...

Thanked by 1asf
  • TarZZ92 said: someone run a benchmark on the C2S pls. download from https://www.primatelabs.com/geekbench/download/

Won't run: http://pastebin.com/6axZZDim

Thanked by 1_Nic
  • Install 32bit libs, a 64bit kernel can run 32bit binaries just fine.

• tsantentsanten Member
    edited March 2016

It should be an Passmark of 1000 points and an 170MB/s hard disk speed.
    Practically doubling the c1 server.

• lbftlbft Member

UnixBench on the 2GB VPS: https://paste.ee/p/MmKRJ

• i dont have an invite =(

• SpacedustSpacedust Member
    edited March 2016

Wait a second:

SATA Version is: SATA 3.1, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 3.0 Gb/s)

Why SATA3 drive on SATA3 controller is connected at SATA2 ?

This would limit the drive to 250 MB/s read and writes (on SATA 540/280 MB/s).

Can you post motherboard model from dmidecode ?

• toumi111toumi111 Member
    edited March 2016

@Spacedust said:
    Wait a second:

SATA Version is: SATA 3.1, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 3.0 Gb/s)

Why SATA3 drive on SATA3 controller is connected at SATA2 ?

This would limit the drive to 250 MB/s read and writes (on SATA 540/280 MB/s).

Can you post motherboard model from dmidecode ?

# dmidecode 2.12
    SMBIOS 2.8 present.

Handle 0x0002, DMI type 2, 15 bytes
    Base Board Information
            Manufacturer: Online Labs
            Product Name: SR
            Version: 42
            Serial Number: 42
            Asset Tag: 42
            Features:
                    Board is a hosting board
                    Board is replaceable
            Location In Chassis: 
            Chassis Handle: 0x0003
            Type: Motherboard
            Contained Object Handles: 0

• SaragoldfarbSaragoldfarb Member
    edited March 2016
    • double post removed
  • SaragoldfarbSaragoldfarb Member
    edited March 2016

Their flexible IPs is a nice touch. Have been waiting for ovh to make that work on their vps servers. Will definitely consider this for a small project.

• xyzxyz Member
    edited March 2016

Anyone know what virtualization type is used for the VPS? I presume that all of the 2GB RAM is available? Does it also use a custom kernel?
    Blog post says it has LSSD, but pricing page just says SSD. If former, I presume that you can't make it larger by adding more volumes (unless you can RAID0 them).
    Can the 150GB limit be exceeded by striping multiple volumes together?

Whilst CPU is more powerful than the 3 EUR ARM, it's likely shared. I assume that you can use it 100% as long as there's no complaints. (it's possibly a C2L just split 16 ways, so that each VPS really gets 0.5 dedicated core and 50Mbps of bandwidth guarantee if overselling was not used)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2016

@xyz it's KVM and cores are dedicated. If you're that in-depth curious about this product, why don't you just join the Online.net IRC, and you would've read the above info from the official source yourself.

• dedicated cores sounds nice...

• xyzxyz Member

rm_ said: @xyz it's KVM and cores are dedicated. If you're that in-depth curious about this product, why don't you just join the Online.net IRC, and you would've read the above info from the official source yourself.

Thanks for the info! That's interesting, so if 2 dedicated cores, they can only fit 4 per server, with 8GB RAM. The VPS is 2 EUR without disk, so a raw revenue of 8 EUR for the whole server. Odd pricing, since the 4 core 8GB RAM server (ultimately weaker) is 11 EUR without disk...

BTW I don't, and can't, use IRC.

• ValdVald Member

Our new nodes are now moving toward the testing phase! New C1s will soon join the platform :)

by the way I can't believe how many people are bashing them or they are always unsatisfied when in fact there is hardly anything better (product/value) on the market.

All i can say is that these guys are pioneering the shit out of the web hosting industry and I am thankful to them for making it so affordable.

Thanked by 3asf 5n1p jvnadr
  • rds100 said:
    They already had Avoton offers - https://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-xc

I actually have this, I may dump it for scaleway version instead as I could scale the disk and the IPs are cheaper than main online brand lol.

• @Setsura said:
    I actually have this, I may dump it for scaleway version instead as I could scale the disk and the IPs are cheaper than main online brand lol.

And you not have to afraid about hardware fail , disk fail or anything shit.

+1

• No paypal payment :(

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • iwaswrongonceiwaswrongonce Member
    edited March 2016

@xyz said:
    Thanks for the info! That's interesting, so if 2 dedicated cores, they can only fit 4 per server, with 8GB RAM. The VPS is 2 EUR without disk, so a raw revenue of 8 EUR for the whole server. Odd pricing, since the 4 core 8GB RAM server (ultimately weaker) is 11 EUR without disk...

Do you just round everything down? It's not odd pricing since the VPS is 3 eur (well 2.99) not 2 which means that at 4 VPS per 8gb instance, they are pulling in 11.96 eur vs the standard price of 11.99 (again, not 11).

If anyone thinks these are anything but PR getting, loss leading, experimental products...you're out of your mind. They aren't making money selling low end boxes for a few bucks. They're making money selling the high end shit.

• chrisfechrisfe Member
    edited March 2016

@iwaswrongonce said:
    If anyone thinks these are anything but PR getting, loss leading, experimental products...you're out of your mind. They aren't making money selling low end boxes for a few bucks. They're making money selling the high end shit.

@iwaswrongonce: Did you try to use their services ?

• xyzxyz Member
    edited March 2016

iwaswrongonce said: Do you just round everything down? It's not odd pricing since the VPS is 3 eur (well 2.99) not 2 which means that at 4 VPS per 8gb instance, they are pulling in 11.96 eur vs the standard price of 11.99 (again, not 11).

VPS is 3 EUR = 1 EUR (server) + 1 EUR (50GB storage) + 1 EUR (public IPv4). It's how they priced their ARM servers (IIRC you could get a server without a public IP), so I assume it's the same for all the others that include 50GB network storage.

Even if that wasn't the case, 4x VPS (12 EUR) gives 8 cores, 8GB RAM, 800Mbps bandwidth, 200GB storage, 4 IPv4 whilst the 12 EUR server gives 4 cores, 8GB RAM, 300Mbps bandwidth, 50GB storage, 1 IPv4 - significantly less.
    It doesn't make sense unless they're overselling, or they use a really weird pricing model.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

xyz said: IIRC you could get a server without a public IP

What's interesting here is if we'll be able to save money on not getting the IPv4 when IPv6 gets deployed ("in a few days").

• iwaswrongonce said: They aren't making money selling low end boxes for a few bucks. They're making money selling the high end shit.

Lot of little money selling low end shit = a lot of big money.

They are making money with both. The low end shit as you call it is fully automated they need a tech to take care of hardware issues but can handle a LOT of customers with no manual action... Once it's setup, it's easy money coming to the boss pockets...

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • No PayPal or centos but apart from that seems like a few good deals

• SpacedustSpacedust Member
    edited March 2016

No CentOS = no buy

The XC SSD must be upgraded to 250 GB SSD disk then it would be perfect.

• nfnnfn Veteran

Just to clarify, the lssd volumes are mounted when the server start and dismounted when the server is turned off? The data remains stored in the volume and there are not local ssd disks, correct?

Are theses lssd disks a san or some think similar?

Thanks

• nfn said: there are not local ssd disks, correct?

As I understand it, LSSD stands for Local SSD and that's why if you cancel a server with them the data on it is deleted.

Spacedust said: The XC SSD must be upgraded to 250 GB SSD disk then it would be perfect.

I agree on that, the ability to upgrade storage would be really cool. But probably they did a study so that their new line don't take too many customers from their online.net dedi line. (The trouble ovh had when they did introduce the great-but-not-long-lasting (because of too much "turnover" 2 or 3eur KS1...)

Thanked by 1nfn
  • yuekeyueke Member

anybody who can give me a Scalaway invite code?thanks