Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shared Hosting Offers - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Shared Hosting Offers

Comments

• @linuxthefish said:
    Yeah 20,000 clients on a cPanel server and the massive chain of support from only 10 clients sound really nice!

That's a math of someone who never was involved in this business model.
    If someone have 20.000 clients, do you think that will still host on a master or alpha from misterhost.net? I don't think so. But if he want it, that's not a problem. There are big drives those days so can cover everything.

Regarding your Reseller offer, could try it in the future thank you.

Thanked by 1BeardyUnixGuy
  • MisterHost_NET said: That's a math of someone who never was involved in this business model.

Yeah I've never done alpha or anything like that before, just making a guess. No hard feelings!

• As far as I remember, code-wise, anything above normal reseller requires the WHM plugin to do some awfully unsupported back-breaking hacks ;-)

However, I included master+alpha since I didn't have any reason to exclude these and I'd still be open to these due to the way I structure my projects.

Either way, someone needs to do an "alpha song" to the tune of the "badger song"
    [

• BeardyUnixGuy said: anything above normal reseller requires the WHM plugin to do some awfully unsupported back-breaking hacks ;)

You are right, using Zamfoo and co can be really danger those days. But, we are developing our own plugin that will be soon in the market called whmamp.com. It answers every open question that other plugins cant ex, auto block masters and alphas on over-usage, integrated inodes (iwhmamp) etc etc. :)

• One year is to long to wait.. Maximum should be month. And it's great idea tho...

• @Advertzone said:
    One year is to long to wait.. Maximum should be month. And it's great idea tho...

That's only because you signed up a day ago and want to spam your reseller hosting ;)

• @jarland said:
    Anyway, just feeling out people's thoughts still. Obviously not going to stand against the requests of the majority again ;)

Thats a real can of worms, Unlimited is always used to lure people into believe their plan is unlimited, a one plans fits all your dreams for the next big social network.

Just look at the other popular forums and see the complaints there.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited February 2016

I just don't get it. Why do you people want all of LET to be a cess pit?

I see long time members supporting this, which is also confusing to me.

This site is about VPS, not the 900 services you can host on a VPS.

If you feel this place should be advertising shared hosting then you are being greedy and disrespecting what this place was supposed to be about. It is supposed to be about VPS and what can be done with a VPS, not a place to spam you super duper uber cheap unlimited super alpha master reseller garbage, that's what places like WHT are for. They are a 'hosting forum' not a 'VPS' forum like this is 'supposed' to be.

As I said before in the previous thread, which conveniently disappeared along with all the feelings conveyed in it, we will end up with the lowest form of customer here asking 900 questions about how to use their cPanel hosting with a bunch of scam threads when the customer doesn't know how to use the service. You are inviting a whole different type of customer here, ones who likely won't even have any idea of how to use a VPS. With the language barrier as well, I just see a bunch of hacked up poor English threads on every aspect of why they can't get logged in, can't change DNS, etc. You think we are a LowEndHelpDesk now, it will only get to be even worse, except now we become cPanel support and support for every little provider who ends up providing a crap service.

TL;DR:

I mean, we aren't even about what you can do with a small VPS server anymore, we already dropped our standards this far to any piece of crap under $7, why not just go the whole way down and make this place a full on crapfest? It would be great for the advertising revenue and I am sure ColoCrossing isn't against making more money. So have at it, lets just throw it the rest of the way in the toilet for some more money and website traffic.

Sorry, but it's a sad day when a forum about VPS has to start being about shared hosting just to bring in customers/readers, it is like no one here places a value on what this place once was.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• TheLinuxBug said: Sorry, but it's a sad day when a forum about VPS has to start being about shared hosting just to bring in customers/readers, it is like no one here places a value on what this place once was.

I fear that ship has long sailed (unfortunately I didn't really get to see what the ship looked like.) We already have dedi offers (a shift away from the small VPS focus, which likewise bring different questions), domain auctions (which arguably has nothing to do with VPS along with people looking for/selling Google Apps domains), the occasional VPN and mail hosting offers, so shared hosting offers could just as well be on the list. People already discuss and exchange support on various things not necessarily VPS-related like router setup, laptop recommendations, etc. though most of those threads go to Offtopic.

It seems the problem described already existed before the proposal to add shared hosting offers (with shared hosting offers being the latest reminder) and resolution depends on whether this is a matter of principle, an usability issue or some other cause.

While I very much enjoy the LEB theme (as in "things you can do with 128 MB RAM"), the forum is basically a company asset and most companies grow and diversify their services to sustain them. Stick with one core focus (have loyal following but risk losing relevance due to technological improvements), or expand to include more markets (improve chances of being sustainable but risk losing depth on a particular subject)? Does the forum change because the audience wants to see dedicated and shared hosting offers, or does it attract an audience with those interests because it has changed?

If this is about usability, then the next-level question would be how to organise discussions - including offers and support questions related to different types of hosting services like shared hosting - in a way that people can choose which categories they want to see and not feel overshadowed by other discussions they're not interested in.

My 3 cents (the exchange rate is not so good these days :()

• In response to the topic, a shared hosting category could be a plus if done well. It was mostly fine during the previous run when offers were posted at a fair pace, one every few days and not a daily flood. Not a fan of "unlimited" resources offers (some don't provide acceptable usage figures in the TOS, often ends with provider enforcing arbitrary limits afterwards) but that was quickly removed for later offers.

Sometimes I might look for hosting for friends, it's simpler to find a special from an active LET provider with a positive forum reputation, rather than wading through cluttered listings on other large forums or poorly-written reviews with little detail.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

TheLinuxBug said: If you feel this place should be advertising shared hosting then you are being greedy and disrespecting what this place was supposed to be about.

I'm not sure what my greed motivation would be - is there a ColoCrossing profit sharing check I will be getting?

As for disrespecting...this is LET, not the Tomb of the Patriarchs. You do not post on hallowed ground, nor is this place meant to be a vessel to hold the hopes and dreams of all mankind. It's LET for pity's sake.

• takerhosttakerhost Member
    edited February 2016

It would be a good idea so you can see all kinds of offers

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

TheLinuxBug said: Sorry, but it's a sad day when a forum about VPS has to start being about shared hosting just to bring in customers/readers, it is like no one here places a value on what this place once was.

We do, it's just that most of us stopped the good fight a long time ago since there's no point. @mpkossen has taken up the mantle but at some point he'll realize it's a waste of energy when the heads of the site are simply trying to move inventory, nothing more.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Lee
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited February 2016

Not forgetting shared has already been tried, it was not a success. But I am not bothered either way, it will be good or another lesson learnt again.

• How about if there were actual VPS offers with REAL dedicated resources in the 0-$7 range?
    So far I've only seen @dediserve pull that off with their rare 50% promos.

If vps-es were always a hassle-free purchase, there wouldn't be this demand for low-end dedis.

Back on-topic, it would be kind to the regulars, if the Shared offers went into a separate subforum, that doesn't get merged into the main landing page timeline.

It can always be merged back in, later, if it doesn't turn into a complete clusterfu*/webhost support comedytime.

No point in reducing the signal-to-noise ratio any more than absolutely necessary.

I'm looking forward to more subforums for niche services if the trend follows.

Thanked by 3Lee jar dediserve
  • JonchunJonchun Member
    edited February 2016

@vimalware said:
    How about if there were actual VPS offers with REAL dedicated resources in the 0-$7 range?
    So far I've only seen dediserve pull that off with their rare 50% promos.

If vps-es were always a hassle-free purchase, there wouldn't be this demand for low-end dedis.

I'm not sure how you expect REAL dedicated resources at that price range. Dediserve does NOT reserve a full vCPU per client. They allow you to use it 24/7 sure, but it is not DEDICATED to you.

You can see their hypervisor specs are going to be similar to as follows from their hybrid plans:
    https://manage.dediserve.com/cart/hybrid/

CPU: Up to Dual Intel Xeon E5-2660v2 2.20Ghz Ten Core Processors
    RAM: 96-256GB 12800R ECC RAM
    Storage Array: D2220SB Storage Array, 12 Bays, RAID 1,5,6,10,50 supported
    Storage Type: 800GB Datacenter HP 6GB/s SSD

Lets say they truly dedicated a "core" to you (which they don't. It's a thread...). There's a total of 40 threads in that machine.

Assuming every single plan sold is the maximum price of $7/mo on LET, that's a maximum revenue of $280/month per hypervisor. There's no way you can reasonably make a ROI with revenue that low on hardware like that.

OnApp on the Professional plan costs $10/physical core so that's roughly $200/mo on OnApp alone...

[going off $1500/mo price]

I'm not saying overselling is bad, but I am saying that it's definitely misleading to say that they're selling "REAL dedicated" resources.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2016

@TheLinuxBug said:
    I just don't get it. Why do you people want all of LET to be a cess pit?

Don't think that your opinion is being ignored at all. I've been right there fighting for LET to remain on topic for a long time. Lately I've been asking myself this question instead:

Do I want to light a bigger fire or do I want to watch the candle burn itself out and just call it a day?

LE* landed in a critical time for the industry where hosting was expensive and low end VPS was the way to do it yourself for less. Those times have passed. The market will not return to what it was.

I think that we honor the greatness of LE* by not letting that flame die. Even if that means we don't fan the flame with the same things that we did 4+ years ago. We owe it to the memory of this place to adapt, to grow, and to be great.

In short... Make LET great again :)

Thanked by 2vimalware shovenose
  • @Jonchun said:
    I'm not saying overselling is bad, but I am saying that it's definitely misleading to say that they're selling "REAL dedicated" resources.

Thanks for the analysis. We of course run things as efficiently as possible, and the vast majority of our clients are not LET specials :) We do however provide you with 100% of the cores you buy, and don't penalise or limit full usage.

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • Is there a way to keep Shared/Reseller offers from appearing on the main index? If we want to view these offers we have to visit the sub-forum to see them?

• dediserve said: 100% of the cores you buy, and don't penalise or limit full usage

This statement lines up with the "no CPU limits or throttles" on your 'Cloud' offering page which, altogether, has sparked my curiosity.

So then, would it be fine for a client to hammer their assigned (v)CPUs at 100% usage for 24/7 continuously?

Also, what if the tool doing the (v)CPU hammering was actually some arbitrary-coin CPU miner? Would that still be acceptable?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

BeardyUnixGuy said: Also, what if the tool doing the (v)CPU hammering was actually some arbitrary-coin CPU miner? Would that still be acceptable?

Well, they use XEN/KVM so they can't peak into the VPS short of snapshotting the disk and poking around their files. They're not Nuggets, though, so i'd hope they wouldn't do that.

They likely just use one of the schedulers that slowly slows down the super heavy users over time to keep things completely fair to everyone. I think there was a 'time slice' one for XEN that did just that.

Francisco

• @BeardyUnixGuy said: what if the tool doing the (v)CPU hammering was actually some arbitrary-coin CPU miner? Would that still be acceptable?

@dediserve also waiting for this answer. Not because I use VPSs for mining but to make sure there are absolutely no reasons why we cannot use 100% CPU 24/7.

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • jarland said: Make LET great again :)

You sound like Donald Trump and for that alone I'm taking you less seriously ;-)

Thanked by 2vimalware iKeyZ
  • @BeardyUnixGuy said:
    Also, what if the tool doing the (v)CPU hammering was actually some arbitrary-coin CPU miner? Would that still be acceptable?

We actually host multiple bitcoin hosters :)

@Traffic said:
    dediserve also waiting for this answer. Not because I use VPSs for mining but to make sure there are absolutely no reasons why we cannot use 100% CPU 24/7.

As you know, 'most, regular' users, need a fraction of their allotted CPU power, By having a very large server footprint, and very very powerful servers, we can ensure that we don't have to limit customers usage.

mpkossen said: You sound like Donald Trump and for that alone I'm taking you less seriously ;-)

Hahaha, intentional. I saw @CVPS_Chris new avatar the other day and loved it ;)

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

MAKE LET GREAT AGAIN!

Thanked by 2vimalware jar
  • @CVPS_Chris said:
    MAKE LET GREAT AGAIN!

How are you going to help us achieve that goal?

• @mpkossen said:
    How are you going to help us achieve that goal?

Build a wall and Jarland will pay it :)

• DylanDylan Member
    edited February 2016

jarland said: Do I want to light a bigger fire or do I want to watch the candle burn itself out and just call it a day?

Real question: is LET burning out? Is that what the analytics are saying? From my perspective it seems like the place is still pretty active. It even seems like a lot of people are coming back from vpsBoard.

edited February 2016

Dylan said: Real question: is LET burning out? Is that what the analytics are saying? From my perspective it seems like the place is still pretty active. It even seems like a lot of people are coming back from vpsBoard.

It's steady but there's no real growth. What a lot of people don't realize is just how important Vanilla's design is to making this place seem active. If we used more traditional forum software, everyone would think this place was on it's death bed. In a given day there are anywhere from 10-25 active users... for the whole day.

From my view, there's not a significant buffer between what it is today and it's death. We're a few active members away from being irrelevant. This place is better than that... it just needs some life breathed into it. We'll grow, we absolutely will, but it won't happen on it's own without changes.