Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shared Hosting Offers - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Shared Hosting Offers

Comments

• miTgiB said: Why be discriminatory? I have many clients who could post shared offers who have been my clients for many years but have no interest to provide VPS.

Cause we are at LowEndBox.

Thanked by 1TheLinuxBug
  • linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited February 2016

Would be nice to see it back, but I think unlimited storage should not be allowed - or if it is allowed there should be a rule about including the limits to your unlimited in the actual offer and not hidden in size 8 font in the TOS much like the current rule for unlimited bandwidth offers.

Imagine if people started posting "unlimited disk" VPS offers, that would be crazy!

• Maybe able to add it in provider area posts with their VPS/ded offers?

• n1kkon1kko Member
    edited February 2016

I'd love to see some shared/reseller. Not everyone wants VPS or dedi all the time.

• I'd love to see this kind of offers around here.
    BUT I think there should be a rule about the 'unlimited' stuff, for example companies should give in detail (or at least some info.) what their 'unlimited' stands for.

• ExonHostExonHost Member, Host Rep

Would be nice with separate category.

• Windows hosting is what i need =D

• +1. Okay! But minimum 1 year old providers. My suggestion

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I'd say a member from minimum 6 months. An active member too, with let's say..50 non-spam posts? Of course, has to be approved for providers group as well. Unlimited can be allowed, when terms are stated in the thread - no point in seeing 999GB of disk space offers. No unlimited rule will always be bypassed. Maybe allow 14 days offers, in case there is a significant change in the offering? Say, a 20% discount or 20% expired discount.

• My 2 cents:

• start conservative, (6 month-1yr on let and business?) To test the waters and get feedback from community and established providers.

• for the love of god don't put shared and vps in the same sub forum. I would love even more if you could break the offers forum in shared, container (ovz) and full virtualization. (I think these 3 animals have their uses, but don't belong in the same cage)

• LeeLee Veteran

Control is always going to be the issue. When we had shared offers last time I remember it was a nightmare to moderate the shite coming through.

Resellers are ten a penny as the saying goes. So unless you set some sensible conditions on who can offer then it will just suck up all your time.

Thanked by 2jar bersy
  • I think it's a good idea to add them again. Set rules such as minimum 6 months as a provider etc.

• alfredalfred Member, Host Rep

I think it'd be okay, but it would be great to see VPS-like attributes disclosed, such as:

• CPU limits & model
    • Disk limits & type (SSD/HDD)
    • RAM limits
    • Bandwidth limits and upstreams
    I think it'd be okay, but it would be great to see VPS-like attributes disclosed, such as:

• CPU limits & model
    • Disk limits & type (SSD/HDD)
    • RAM limits
    • Bandwidth limits and upstreams
    Webserver (Apache, Nginx...)
    SSL/SNI Support

• I'd be happy to see shared hosting offers - I'm occasionally in the market for shared/reseller hosting as things stand and I can't stomach the bottom feeders on WHT.

The only proviso I'd put on it is no resellers. I don't see the point in buying from a middleman reselling some other hosting company's product.

• Good idea. Though the criteria needs to be strict. Something like 1 year at least on LET /In business, good number of posts, full plan details in the offer (shouldn't need to ask/search for resource limits and all) etc.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

I'm all for requiring the hosts to be in business for some period of time. When a fly by night pop-up gets listed then goes out of business 3 months later it doesn't help anyone.

• @jbiloh said:
    I'm all for requiring the hosts to be in business for some period of time. When a fly by night pop-up gets listed then goes out of business 3 months later it doesn't help anyone.

Only the fly by night hosts wallet.

• @jbiloh said:

I think the same could be said for VPS and dedicated server providers. This forum has seen it's fair share of these flyby providers also.

Thanked by 1IThinkUFailed
  • @VPSensational said:
    The only proviso I'd put on it is no resellers. I don't see the point in buying from a middleman reselling some other hosting company's product.

Where does the line end though? Does one become not eligible if they're reselling dedicated servers? If they're reselling DC space? Reselling network? You can try saying "Reseller cPanel accounts shouldn't be allowed because there's no point", but if a knowledgeable person is reselling a dependable shared hosting service, doing it at a cheap rate, and offering dependable and personal support, I can see that working too. I understand what you're trying to say, but in practice it's not that simple.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

I vouch for it to be allowed, but please, do not allow "unlimited" offers, keep it reasonable.

• @IThinkUFailed said:
    Only the fly by night hosts wallet.

And colocrossing. As long as they were reselling colocrossing

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

I would vote "YES" but it should be seriously moderated. Something like that if the Provider posts an offer, it would show Pending & one of the Mods will approve it (At a specific time of a Day he would approve this). By this way, we can get Reliable Providers but the workload will increase on Mods unfortunately.

• Great idea! I would love to see shared hosing offers again.

Without "UNLIMITED" disk space offers will be the best.

In fact, having dedicated disk space is benefit for both customers and providers.

Personally, I would prefer to have dedicated disk space than unlimited disk space so that I can manage my files within quota.

When I need more disk space, then I will contact provider for upgrade disk space or package. That will be benefit for provider. This is what I thought. :)

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2016

Hello

+1 of course but i also agree with some comments :

1/ Offers category should be splitted into two categories.

2/ In my opinion unlimited is not a good argument, customers should seek for quality service and quality support but well if it is allowed it should not appear in the title.

3/ one offer by month.

If that happens it might be a good thing because it may also bring more discussions centered on web hostings subjects.

edit : put "one" instead of 1 which looks like a "l"

• I believe the ideas is great - I do foresee a lot of offers that may not be the greatest for the community as @mpkossen mentioned with what happened previously.

• Agreed. This is a great idea.

Make a new announcement in 3 days.

Write that shared/reseller offers are again available after a 60 day "preparing" period.

Use font-size 0 on "after a 60 day "preparing" period" or some other appropriate CSS that makes it hidden.

Ban any hosts over the next two months who can't read the small print.

• I'm in for it, in a separate category

• Here's my vote for allowing shared hosting while banning all 'unlimited' disk space offers.

• It would be interesting as long as you eventually split the categories to make it more clear.