Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shared Hosting Offers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Shared Hosting Offers

jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
edited February 2016 in General

Hey everyone!

Today I'd like to just toss out a discussion. I'd like to hear what you think about allowing shared hosting offers on LET again. There's been no decision made, not even a discussion between myself and the team. Just purely interested in feedback on the proposed idea with no actual proposal from me for the rules that might be around it.

Comments

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

The more offers, the better :) - the more traffic for LEB/LET - the better :)

• There are enough people looking for it recently, and if all the unlimited is kept out, it would be great to see them again.

• IThinkUFailedIThinkUFailed Member
    edited February 2016

Personally I think shared hosting offers were great. It gave more diversity than just VPS/Dedicated. I think if you were to add shared hosting offers again it would help a lot of newbies. I personally feel hosting comes in all shapes and sizes down to the smallest shared plan all the way up to your super high performance cloud servers.

There is no one size fits all when it comes to hosting in my opinion. While for the most part a VPS is all anyone will need for their smaller website some people aren't interested in that sort of system administration required to keep it all secure and running properly and would rather opt for a shared hosting platform where it's very straight forward and somebody more experienced manages it.

EDIT: forgot to finish part of my post

• I'm all for it, even though I personally filtered it out and/or never paid any attention to it for the most part.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

k0nsl said: I'm all for it, even though I personally filtered it out and/or never paid any attention to it for the most part.

A separate offers category for shared might be a good idea.

• BradyHBradyH Member, Host Rep

I think it would be a great to have it.

• It would be great. It would help a lot of users in this network. Especially those new to the 'hosting world'.

• It would be good but new category and only offers from providers who have been here at least 1 year are so will filter out the bad ones and longer than than usual time frame for the posting of offers 30 or 45 days

Thanked by 1vpsGOD
  • @simonindia said:
    It would be good but new category and only offers from providers who have been here at least 1 year are so will filter out the bad ones and longer than than usual time frame for the posting of offers 30 or 45 days

Yeah I'd agree. I think 30 or 28 days would be a good base for this going by the current 14 days per offer rule.

• It will be great with a separate category :)

• Am for the Shared/Reseller category like it was before. This helps many of us. The best thing you could do to avoid summer hosts is: Only providers that are around for 1 year can posts offers or users that are registered min. 6 or 12 months on let. Just in Idea :)

• I believe it might be nice. There are a few topics where people ask for shared/reseller web hosting suggestions.

• I agree the idea

+1

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

We had that once, why did they get revoked?

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

I would say yes, without the "unlimited" offers

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • I think this is a great idea, it brings more diversity to low end talk and as always the more the merrier!

• @Neoon said:
    We had that once, why did they get revoked?

Too many bad offers. That was before the providers group was in place though.

May be worth a shot doing it again.

• Once per month in separate category, posting only allowed for those providers who already have a running VPS business.

• Yes bring them back

• What I think should be made:

1. User should have at least 1 year here on LET;
    2. Should have at least 20 posts (be an active member of the community);
    3. Should be a provider;
    4. No unlimited offers;
    5. Hosts should provide something different on the offers (raygun, LE support, etc);
    6. Only one offer for every month;

So, +1 for shared hosting offers.

Thanked by 1Mridul
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Awmusic12635 said:
    I would say yes, without the "unlimited" offers

What about unlimited is fine but they have to state the terms? For example: Can say unlimited storage but must say it like this:

• Unlimited storage (within 100,000 inodes, files used for web hosting only)
  • @jarland said:

Agreed. My current provider offer Unlimited Hosting but for Web Hosting use only. Unlimited is fine in my opinion.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2016

jarland said: What about unlimited is fine but they have to state the terms? For example: Can say unlimited storage but must say it like this:

What percentage of customers do you think actually reads the terms? or in your example, know what an inode is.

In the end, I feel it is just hiding the true limits.

@Awmusic12635 said:
    What percentage of customers do you think actually reads the terms? or in your example, know what an inode is.

Here? I'd say a reasonable amount, if it's stated up front and not hidden away on a policy page.

• jarland said: Unlimited storage (within 100,000 inodes, files used for web hosting only)

So it would not be unlimited.

@Topic: Allow it in a sperate category, then we can just hide that category and must never hear of it again.

edited February 2016

gsrdgrdghd said: So it would not be unlimited.

Not limited by MB can mean unlimited MB, but can still be limited in other ways. Unlimited, not infinite. Infinite would be a lie.

Anyway, just feeling out people's thoughts still. Obviously not going to stand against the requests of the majority again ;)

• @jarland said:

I used to be against unlimited but given even some of my all-time favorite providers have switched to just offering a single 'unlimited' package for shared hosting, I have to say that as long as the real limit is clear it should be OK.

We allow "unlimited" bandwidth and "unlimited" IPv6 and nobody seems too fussed about that.

Thanked by 1jar
  • Personally I won't touch shared hosting. Just don't mixed with vps offers category.

A filter to opt out shared offers / others would be nice.

Thanked by 1coreflux
  • bersy said: only allowed for those providers who already have a running VPS business.

Why be discriminatory? I have many clients who could post shared offers who have been my clients for many years but have no interest to provide VPS.

Some other ideas I've seen discussed, is a separate category, which I like, and even a longer between post time, as long as we can still post VPS/dedi offers every 14 days. Every 14 days is not a killer for me, I generally only post every month or so anyway, but would hate to not be able to when I wanted.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

gsrdgrdghd said: So it would not be unlimited.

Really that whole argument is so tired.

Yes, unlimited in web hosting doesn't really mean unlimited. But for practical purposes, it does. Deal with it.

Thanked by 2GM2015 mpkossen