Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oh no! BuyVM down?! - Page 11
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oh no! BuyVM down?!

Comments

• @rsk said: .. any updates?

I'd imagine he's running around left right and center fixing the bulk of the problems.

@Aldryic would be better to comment, left Fran out of this reply eveb, he's probably very busy.

• Looks like LV is having some more issues.

• Mine just came back up, let's hope it stays that way for now <_<'

• @Wintereise said: Nothing wrong at all with offering refugee coupons, it's business folks. One person's downfall is another's gain.

However, organizing the DDoS is another story entirely.

Either way its a little harsh on any Company to be taking advantage of this, As it happens to every company at some point.

• Nope, completely normal business. You don't get business with always being 'nice.'

That said, I think 19 is locking up or something - not sure. The IRC is down too, no way to get any updates.

• Hmm... I'm wondering if there is a person here who announced publicly that he is happy about the events that happened, has previously stated his dislike for BuyVM, in enough of an asshole to be capable of DDoSsing competitors, has enough ressources to organize a big DDoS and who has connections at ColoCrossing that might result in some accident taking down BuyVM's network?

• I'm keen to see the 2013 Q1 top provider list

• NY been down for 6 hours. :/

• This make me seriously considering Contingency plan. My email server is at BuyVM NY

• Looks like NY is back up. Now lets put wagers on how long it takes before the next big event arises that disrupts service.

• All is working fine here again, all my processes are still up as well so that's good.

• @spycrab101 said: All is working fine here again, all my processes are still up as well so that's good.

Except for IPv6.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Wintereise said: Nope, completely normal business. You don't get business with always being 'nice.'

True, but the morality of ppl running the show matters.
    I do not put = between 2 providers regarding only the service. If someone will pull a stunt like that taking advantage of Murphy or simple bad luck of others, how are they expected to perform ?
    They will simply do some math: how will I do more money, push a big sale, pull the plug and run, or continue the operation ?
    Cut-throat, OK, but taking advantage of a one-off mishap of someone is showing a very shady side of personality, business can be done in a cut-throat competition environment and still follow some minimal principles.
    Who doesnt, might be successful for a while, might buy some politicians/police later, but, in the long run, in a normal society, will not manage to survive.
    They will try to pull stunts on everyone, not only customers/competition, they will stop of nothing, I wouldnt want to be in the yard of such a provider, perhaps I am alone in this, but I hope not.

• @Maounique said: taking advantage of a one-off mishap of someone is showing a very shady side of personality, business can be done in a cut-throat competition environment and still follow some minimal principles.

This.

@Kris said: the domain move day from GoDaddy

Completely different. The first major Move Your Domain Day was after their support for SOPA.

• I do not put = between 2 providers regarding only the service. If someone will pull a stunt like that taking advantage of Murphy or simple bad luck of others, how are they expected to perform ?

Picking up an opportunity has zero to nothing to do with any performance whatsoever.

Anyway, this convo is going in the direction it really doesn't need to be at the moment - so let's call truce on this one.

It just came back up again - completely rebooted and seems to be performing fine. I'm going to observe it through the night to see if it craps itself again. <.<'

• @Maounique said: perhaps I am alone in this, but I hope not.

I agree with you, As it wouldn't seem right, and it would look even worse to the public offering customers discount codes, etc because another provider is having issues, If people cant get legit customers then its showing they need to steal them.

• @gsrdgrdghd,

Fully agree with the someone here / competitor that jumped the traffic cone about the downtime earlier. They are bitter again that they weren't on top of the provider list, while BuyVM was.

That said, I'd (BuyVM) be shopping for another location for Buffalo to migrate away from. Buffalo needs DDoS protection anyways. Uniformity of offers from BuyVM. Not 2Mbps limits in San Jose and no DDoS in Buffalo.

Can't have providers and partners you suspect of collaboration and negative undermining of the industry.

I say offer all the refugee coupons you want. All you are going to do is drop your pants and take a loss to get a customer for a year and a cranky customer who refused to prepare accordingly when given ample notice of the migration time and plan.

Anyone pointing anything to BuyVM through the end of this week is doing so at their own risk. This is typical of migrations. If you can't afford / plan a second location then you are going to spend your life as a refugee.

@pubcrawler very well said. Lets add a bit to what I said earlier, who gets onboard with such coupons as well as the ones making such offers deserve each other.
    If I were BuyVM I would make an offer to refund everyone wishing to move. Less headache and more stock for the others.

• "a cranky customer who refused to prepare accordingly when given ample notice of the migration time and plan."

If you're running a business and financially depend on your websites being available 24/7, the best, and only, way to "prepare accordingly" when a service provider announces there will be 24 hours of downtime is to find a new service provider. If you're using the VPS as a VPN to watch YouTube, or using it for a hobby blog about your cat, then you can afford a 24 hour downtime.

• @DomainBop said: If you're running a business and financially depend on your websites being available 24/7, the best, and only, way to "prepare accordingly" when a service provider announces there will be 24 hours of downtime is to have offsite fail-over/redundancy in place.

There, FTFY

@MiguelQ said: There, FTFY

Actually, whoever runs a business from a LEB MUST prepare for something like this.
    If you cant invest 100 $ to make sure your site making you thousands a day doesnt go down, then you got what you deserve.
    As I maintained all the time, LEBs are for hobbists, gameservers, IRC, developpment, etc, for production there is redundancy/load balancing/anycast and geographic diversity.
    You can make a HA scheme across providers and stuff, even at leb prices, if you didnt, well, who's at fault here ?

• So the NY outage was an error, nothing nefarious after all, just Murphy :)

• Around this time there was also an attempted attack against the NY location

(yes, we know who you were, and there are more productive ways of expressing
    your jealousy) that caused an unintended outage for our east-coast deployment.
    This lasted pretty much the entire weekend, causing repeated network blips
    between both deployments.

Inquiring minds would like to know who the smoking finger banger is pointed towards on that @Francisco. I'll avoid them like the plague and coffin nails for their business here and elsewhere in the wake of that.

• I don't get why people keep complaining that this and that is off, I'm pretty sure they know what's going on so stop giving them extra stress.

• @pubcrawler said: Inquiring minds would like to know who the smoking finger banger is pointed towards on that @Francisco.

This please.

Thanks for posting the link -- it's a great concise rundown.

• Forget coupons. The only thing I got out of this was the need to build more redundant power/network servers for VPS hosting, so there won't be threads like this. Sure it'd cost more, but might get more sleep.

These disasters aren't fun.

• Still reading BuyVM's recap of the move...

Tuesday, 22 January

Another hectic morning. A misconfiguration by our New York datacenter
    resulted in the entire location being knocked offline for several hours
    until we were finally able to get ahold of them and get the situation
    resolved.

Key part there:
    "until we were finally able to get ahold of them"

Was Colocrossing not answering the support lines and tickets or what? Sounds like an inference there.

• @concerto49 said: The only thing I got out of this was the need to build more redundant power/network servers for VPS hosting, so there won't be threads like this. Sure it'd cost more, but might get more sleep.

Sure it would cost more, I don't think anything I've seen @Francisco and @Aldryic talk about could have gone better without added expense and guess who gets to pay that, the client of course, so it is what it is, we are LEB providers afterall, and to expect enterprise level redundancies for the prices is insanity at it's finest ;)

• Fully agree @miTgiB.

• @miTgiB said: the client of course, so it is what it is, we are LEB providers afterall, and to expect enterprise level redundancies for the prices is insanity at it's finest ;)

It depends on far you go and how much you want to make. Profit margins are different for everyone. It's also a balance too. It potentially reduces support costs and overhead of answering tickets and dealing with downtime. Pros and cons.