Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oh no! BuyVM down?! - Page 14
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oh no! BuyVM down?!

Comments

• Chrisy-poo, if you feel like taking a dump, please . . . do it in a toilet. Shit elsewhere and you usually look like a buffoon.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

@Francisco said: Sure, if we got egi's full blend. Fact of the matter, though, is that EGI was forcing our routes to only go over HE.

This all could have been avoided if you moved to ColoCrossing right? Just take BW from them.

@Francisco said: It has 2 10gig ports on it

Got any pictures of the brocade? Id like to see it

• RophRoph Member
    edited January 2013

Unfortunately I find LV slower even than SJ, which was already bad. I could expect 1-3mbit/s from SJ, I'm getting 0.5-0.8mbit/s from LV.

Not really an issue since I use it for ZNC, and though throughput is poor the ping is great, but a little disappointing for 2013.

[edit] sorry, LV not LA :)

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

I can't seem to find the imgur gallery I put together but he's a picture of most of it:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/165029_496662910385206_1613977535_n.jpg

We ordered a few extra 24 port blades for future growth :)

If we were doing layer3 with it we wouldn't want to use this unit since layer3 switches in software. But, since we're using it strictly in layer2 mode, it completely destroys things.

@CVPS_Chris said: This all could have been avoided if you moved to ColoCrossing right? Just take BW from them.

And then i'm paying EGI $4000/m for 2 racks. Then another $2000/m to Jon. Why should EGI get $4000/m from me for providing a crappy service? Coresite racks are not worth that price considering they made me move half my nodes to new power strips twice because they were replacing things.

Francisco

@Roph said: Unfortunately I find LA slower even than SJ, which was already bad. I could expect 1-3mbit/s from SJ, I'm getting 0.5-0.8mbit/s from LA.

Not really an issue since I use it for ZNC, and though throughput is poor the ping is great, but a little disappointing for 2013.

Let me get some things tied up with the 10gig port and we'll see where we go. We were expecting to see a large surge in traffic once moved in, but figured we wouldn't need the 10 gig port till after these storage nodes.

Oh well, no biggy :)

Francisco

• edited January 2013

@Microlinux said: Chrisy-poo, if you feel like taking a dump, please . . . do it in a toilet. Shit elsewhere and you usually look like a buffoon.

+1

Also, that Brocade looks amazing

• @Francisco said: And then i'm paying EGI $4000/m for 2 racks. Then another $2000/m to Jon.

I thought he meant moving to Colocrossing altogether? Don't they have a presence at Coresite San Jose?

@concerto49 said: I thought he meant moving to Colocrossing altogether? Don't they have a presence at Coresite San Jose?

They did...inside EGI's suite.

They use EGI for the couple racks they have there (far as Jon said it's literally a couple racks just for the sake of a POP there). Bandwidth they have a 10 gig or something from nLayer and then some fallback transit with EGI.

Francisco

• @concerto49 said: I thought he meant moving to Colocrossing altogether? Don't they have a presence at Coresite San Jose?

They do indeed:

http://www.colocrossing.com/downloads/ColoCrossing-SJ1-Datacenter-Specs.pdf

• @Francisco I need to get around to adding a dual 10Gb to ours

@KnightSwarm_Phillip said: @Francisco I need to get around to adding a dual 10Gb to ours

It's a nice unit :) Thanks for letting me know. I'm happy we brought it from SJ though, instead of chancing the big clusterfuck you had getting yours shipped.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: It's a nice unit :) Thanks for letting me know. I'm happy we brought it from SJ though, instead of chancing the big clusterfuck you had getting yours shipped.

Francisco

UPS can die in a fire. We never got our insurance money, either.

• Why in the world would @Francsico move to Colocrossing? He already got suckered into their nest in Buffalo.

I'll never understand why @CVPS_Chris continues to bang on the Colocrossing sales drum if he's not a partner/interest in that business.

Plus going CC solves nothing with the San Jose location. Just adds costs and in case of outage could take both BuyVM locations out.

Surprised everyone is being so civil about the Chris comments.

• I thought the Force 10 was not superior enough for you. :D

Nice to see a 3com switch. :)

@KnightSwarm_Phillip said: @Francisco I need to get around to adding a dual 10Gb to ours

• @KnightSwarm_Phillip said: @Francisco I need to get around to adding a dual 10Gb to ours

Tripp Lite racks are pretty awesome too

• @Jacob said: I thought the Force 10 was not superior enough for you. :D

Nice to see a 3com switch. :)

The Force10 didn't survive shipping, took the pic before I knew that.

The 3coms are dinky little things, only for the IPMI network ;)

@pubcrawler said: Surprised everyone is being so civil about the Chris comments.

now calm down skeeter they aint hurtin' nobody

Francisco

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

@Francisco said: And then i'm paying EGI $4000/m for 2 racks. Then another $2000/m to Jon. Why should EGI get $4000/m from me for providing a crappy service?

The point was to cancel everything with EGI and take 2 cabs from ColoCrossing. I don't care what you do either way, just seemed like a very bad decision and was trying to help you not make the mistake.

As for the SuperX its far below par as to be considered a good switch and pretty worthless: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=foundry+superx&_sacat=0&_from=R40

I'm done here, points were made, help was offered. Good luck

• @CVPS_Chris said: The point was to cancel everything with EGI and take 2 cabs from ColoCrossing. I don't care what you do either way, just seemed like a very bad decision and was trying to help you not make the mistake.

Going for a datacenter that still doesn't have IPv6 in 2013 would be a very bad decision.

@CVPS_Chris said: As for the SuperX its far below par as to be considered a good switch and pretty worthless: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=foundry+superx&_sacat=0&_from=R40

I know multiple large datacenters, far bigger than you or CC, that use nothing but superX units for all customer facing ports and have exactly 0 issues with them.

For Layer3 usage? You're 100% right. L3 is not done in hardware on them. But, we have a layer2 firmware on here and do all L3 traffic handling on our router.

I appreciate all the help you and everyone else has offered. I've used many pointers brought up as well :)

Francisco

@Woet said: Going for a datacenter that still doesn't have IPv6 in 2013 would be a very bad decision.

Be nice. FH doesn't have V6 right now either and I gave Rob a really odd look when he told me that.

I brought up an HE BGP tunnel for our V6 and it's running great. I took a /48 from my /32 allocation just for LAS so whenever Rob does get V6 rolled out for BGP clients, I can cut over w/o any burps.

Francisco

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited January 2013

@CVPS_Chris said: I'm done here, points were made, help was offered. Good luck

Tip 'o the cap to you sir, I haven't laughed this hard all day. Feeble attempts, but vaguely entertaining.

@Microlinux said: @CVPS_Chris said: I'm done here, points were made, help was offered. Good luck

Tip 'o the cap to you sir, I haven't laughed this hard all day. Feeble attempts, but vaguely entertaining.

Let him be, I don't think he was doing it with the intention of trolling, just he couldn't wrap his head around what we were attempting to do.

Francisco

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

mmm Brocade

I like my MLX othe than the one time it rebooted. Still not sure how what I was doing caused a reboot, but I will never do that again T_T

edited January 2013

@Nick_A said: mmm Brocade

I like my MLX othe than the one time it rebooted. Still not sure how what I was doing caused a reboot, but I will never do that again T_T

We looked at an MLX but I was hating the prices on 24 port blades.

Francisco

• @Roph said: Unfortunately I find LV slower even than SJ, which was already bad. I could expect 1-3mbit/s from SJ, I'm getting 0.5-0.8mbit/s from LV.

Weird, this is what I am getting when grabbing a file from my vps (Node 59)

root@xxxx:~# wget http://xxxx.ch/400mb.test
    --2013-01-24 16:53:43-- http://xxxx.ch/400mb.test
    Resolving xxxx.ch... x.141.x.x
    Connecting to xxxx.ch|x.141.x.x|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 419430400 (400M) [text/plain]
    Saving to: "400mb.test"

100%[==================================================================================================================>] 419,430,400 26.2M/s in 19s

2013-01-24 16:54:03 (21.0 MB/s) - "400mb.test" saved [419430400/419430400]

root@xxxx:~#

@raidz said: Weird, this is what I am getting when grabbing a file from my vps (Node 59)

You aren't the only one :) I had a few more people doing large file transfers over their filtered ip's and ended up trigger some of the monitors.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: You aren't the only one :) I had a few more people doing large file transfers over their filtered ip's and ended up trigger some of the monitors.

Diggin it! Looks like you fixed that issue btw.

I can attest to EGI forcing you over HE. I have a ..few.. servers with them and routes were completely different when going over our servers versus my buyvm vps's. You were HE and the server(s) with them would take a lot nLayer. I never see much gblx with them though.

@raidz said: I can attest to EGI forcing you over HE. I have a ..few.. servers with them and routes were completely different when going over our servers versus my buyvm vps's. You were HE and the server(s) with them would take a lot nLayer. I never see much gblx with them though.

Yep.

The same DST ip from 2 different locations within EGI went the same way.

Funny part is, I have boxes in other racks in 1090 and they all pass through the same central 1090 switch. This means they're doing the route adjustments at the edge and it isn't some screw up with gateway IP's.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: V6 has been brought online in both LAS & NY.

I just about had a heart attack thinking ColoCrossing might have Native v6....