Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Highest Available Storage and RAM and the Cheapest Price! - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Highest Available Storage and RAM and the Cheapest Price!

Comments

• Issam2204 said: For $20 you can get 4 TB dedicated server at Dacentec.

But Dacentec are always down, aren't they? At least that's what it looks like.

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • @Nekki said:

As far as I know they had a bad day with the network going up and down. Apart from that, it is pretty good. Best peering to EU I've had.

• You do love a storage box, don't you. Do you keep moving all that anime from place to place?

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • @Nekki said:
    You do love a storage box, don't you. Do you keep moving all that anime from place to place?

You got me!

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@Issam2204 said:

Maybe, but then you have to take RAID losses into account and also disk IOps

• well, the price is really really cheap from the above answers. Sounds crazy ! It costs me 20$ a month for a VPS with 1G RAM/40G SSD/1T bandwidth. Am I paying too much?

• dopuloss said: well, the price is really really cheap from the above answers. Sounds crazy ! It costs me 20$ a month for a VPS with 1G RAM/40G SSD/1T bandwidth. Am I paying too much?

That depends on the provider, you may be getting a lot of additional good stuff for the money that you won't get from a $7 plan.

• @dopuloss said:
    well, the price is really really cheap from the above answers. Sounds crazy ! It costs me 20$ a month for a VPS with 1G RAM/40G SSD/1T bandwidth. Am I paying too much?

It depends. A $7 VPS or $20ish dedicated may be better for you, but there could be reasons why the $20 for your current arrangement is worth paying:

• Particularly good support? (though my experience of Dacentec in the short time I've been has given me a very good first impression)
    • Perhaps their nodes are far less oversold so you get significantly better (or at least more predictable) performance?
    • Better peering to places you care about for yourself or your users? (some cheap providers in the US seem to have very limited peering arrangements to Europe)

and so on.

If you have some spare cash maybe you could rent one of the other options for a month and compare the two?

Thanked by 2Junkless Hbr
  • iammiamm Member
    edited October 2015

@MarkTurner said:
    How about some performance testing of storage services using something like fio:

write: io=53607MB, bw=914,875KB/s, iops=228718, runt= 60001msec

Which service/plan is this from? I am assuming it is from Delimiter

10 GB result (not the 100GB you did):

Time4VPS:

write: io=95508KB, bw=1591.5KB/s, iops=397, runt= 60012msec

VPS Dime Storage VPS:

write: io=2,349.1MB, bw=40,104KB/s, iops=10025, runt= 60002msec

Digital Ocean:

write: io=792,972KB, bw=13,212KB/s, iops=3303, runt= 60017msec

RamNode SSD cached:

write: io=5112.7MB, bw=87,254KB/s, iops=21813, runt= 60001msec

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • iamm said: Which service/plan is this from? I am assuming it is from Delimiter

You'll probably need to make the size large enough to ensure that the server's cache isn't used. 10GB may not be enough to ensure its 100% from disk.

• HbrHbr Member

The only options are still Time4VPS and ZXHost.

No one could offer what Time4VPS does, for the same pricing level.

I've got other 2 non public offers as well. One of it is a nice offer!

Anyone else?

• What virtualisation is Time4VPS and ZXHost offering?

• HbrHbr Member
    edited October 2015

@MarkTurner ... OpenVZ, and they have ensured there is no problem to fully fill the disk space.

Time4VPS seems to offer a better internet connection as well RAID6. I wish Time4VPS could offer more RAM options, charging an extra fee, but they are not flexible on this regard.

• I prefer a dedicated server in your case, it's better than vps's, No one can give you a vps with 1tb storage but if you can pay more then you will get it

• Hbr said: I wish Time4VPS could offer more RAM options, charging an extra fee, but they are not flexible on this regard.

Probably because it'd fuck with their node setups. Respect to them for not breaking from their plans in search of the cheapskate dollar.

Thanked by 3vimalware deadbeef iamm
  • HbrHbr Member
    edited October 2015

@CoMBoZo said:
    I prefer a dedicated server in your case, it's better than vps's, No one can give you a vps with 1tb storage but if you can pay more then you will get it.

I'm currently trying this at Time4VPS as well:

Dedicated CPU: 1.90 GHz

RAM: 1024 MB + 512 MB SWAP (used 595 MB)

Storage: 1024 GB RAID (used 0.9 GB)

RAID Speed: 80 MB/s, 400 IOPS

Inode Limit: 20480000 (20000 per GB of storage) (used 39263)

Port Speed: 400 Mbps

Bandwidth: 4 TB (transferred 0.0 TB this month = 0.1 GB in + 0.0 GB out)

1.99 €/mo

• @MarkTurner said:
    What virtualisation is Time4VPS and ZXHost offering?

KVM or OpenVZ

Choice of both in latest offer post.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • HbrHbr Member

@AshleyUk said:
    Choice of both in latest offer post.

The issue is that you would terminate an account if outgoing bandwidth is used?

If someone have files they want to give public access, they probably would have their account terminated for using that "unmetered" resources. This is not cool. To me, unmetered is unmetered no matter what goes on since it is legit.

• @Hbr said:
    To me, unmetered is unmetered no matter what goes on since it is legit.

Well, become a provider and set your own terms. Otherwise, a provider is perfectly within his rights to determine what the allowed usage of the rented resources will be.

• MarkTurner said: You'll probably need to make the size large enough to ensure that the server's cache isn't used. 10GB may not be enough to ensure its 100% from disk.

here we go :
    Time4VPS, 100 GB

WRITE: io=99568KB, aggrb=1659KB/s, minb=1659KB/s, maxb=1659KB/s, mint=60005msec, maxt=60005msec

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • HbrHbr Member
    edited October 2015

@deadbeef said:
    Well, become a provider and set your own terms. Otherwise, a provider is perfectly within his rights to determine what the allowed usage of the rented resources will be.

I didn't tell anyone to change anything. To me they do whaterver they want, then it is up to me to decide paying for something or not. That is just something someone should be aware prior to purchasing that plan, if that's actually the case.

• HbrHbr Member
    edited October 2015

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:
    Hbr So, What you have taken already please share. We want to know :-)

The only offer that meets what I'm looking for is Time4VPS. No one else until now.

I have other 2 non public offers that I may try as well. :)

However, I'd like to hear from other providers.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@Hbr said:
    However, I'd like to hear from other providers.

Why not Getting 2 of EthernetServers $20 400GB & ask them to merge it together ?? :D

• HbrHbr Member

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL ... They don't seem to do it.

• @Hbr said:If someone have files they want to give public access, they probably would have their account terminated for using that "unmetered" resources. This is not cool. To me, unmetered is unmetered no matter what goes on since it is legit.

Unmetered generally means "We don't set a hard or specific limit, just don't be a dick".

What you're describing is "unlimited".

• HbrHbr Member

@Roph ... It makes sense. However, people would risk having the account terminated the same way.

• Got a storage VPS from time4vps. Looking great so far. The OpenVZ OS templates were a bit weird... got a Debian Jessie template, but had all kinds of things preinstalled like Apache. Had some cleaning up to do. (Nice to see that they run a OpenVZ kernel new enough to support guests with systemd).

• zeitgeist said: The OpenVZ OS templates were a bit weird... got a Debian Jessie template, but had all kinds of things preinstalled like Apache

Doesn't sound that weird, unless you choose a Debian minimal template you usually get Apache, Bind, Samba and a bunch of other stuff you usually won't use.

• AshleyUkAshleyUk Member
    edited October 2015

@Hbr said:

Nope, would only be terminated if it broke our T&C, which includes banned services such as a public facing file service & mirror e.t.c

However if it was being used for example a OwnCloud behind a login window, then this would be fine, we will only terminate/suspend if the service is used against our T&C in a bandwidth aggressive way.

Thanked by 1Hbr
  • look my Signature