Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

serverdragon no privacy beware - Page 8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

serverdragon no privacy beware

Comments

• @kbeezie

What are your reasons?

• Assume there is no privacy, and be happy if there is.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@kbeezie said: And then by downloading it from there to his home computer, he distributed it :D

I wish we lived in a world where "Look, I always buy the season after it's over to give you your money anyway" was a valid defense.

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited December 2012

@averell said: Nevertheless people have an expectation of privacy. I shouldn't have to ask if someone will snoop, it should be made abundantly clear.

Making a mountain out of a mound. Pro-active monitoring and looking for red flags isn't the same thing as snooping/spying/etc.

PS: A VPS is more like a Hotel Room, Dedicated server is more like an apartment.

• @spycrab101 why would we want a customer who creates a thread when they are in the wrong?

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited December 2012

@spycrab101 said: @kbeezie
    What are your reasons?

My Reason for ?

Not wanting you as a customer? Gee where should I start.

1) You expect to be able to use the services for copyrighted content.
    2) Thinks a provider is in the wrong for not letting you
    3) Ask about truecrypt, most likely because you still intend to use a VPS for that purpose
    4) doing so flags the IP of the VPS for such activity
    5) when you get caught you open up a thread calling the provider scammers.

Not worth the trouble.

• @spycrab101 said: Would truecrypt work on a VPS? I've googled it and there doesn't seem to be much information on it.

facedesks
    SO LET'S BREAK THE TOS BY HIDING ANYTHING THAT BREAKS THE TOS. Genius.

• @kbeezie said: Making a mountain out of a mound. Pro-active monitoring and looking for red flags isn't the same thing as snooping/spying/etc.

It's not a mountain to me, but significant nevertheless. You can either actively seek out people who use e.g. sickbeard on a VPS or you can let them be until they get your attention. I would have thought this would be the norm.

• 1) I expect a private virtual server, private.
    2) I think the provider is wrong for snooping on me, I agree with the concept of DMCA and would only take files down on such a notice.
    3) Because you can't spy on me
    4) I don't understand
    5) Not why I opened the thread

edited December 2012

@averell said: I would have thought this would be the norm.

As would I, but the lack of complaints other than this one means Server Dragon is probably fine, and at least they have the freedom they've taken granted by their agreement.

That's a key here. You should have read, it wouldn't have been left to question.

• This whole thing is one big joke. I want to do what I want on my VPS and I'll stamp my feet, spit the dummy and cry to the folks on LET if I don't get my way.

Ever thought of being a politician?

• Don't quite understand the thought process of using a service for illegal activity then complaining when you get shut off for it. Nip over to OVH, get a £10 mKS and be done with it already.

• @jarland

I think I should ask. as I say this is the first time I have experienced this kind of bot monitoring (collecting? who knows) system before and after being a long term OVH customer it threw me back a bit.

• @spycrab101 said: I think I should ask. as I say this is the first time I have experienced this kind of bot monitoring (collecting? who knows) system before and after being a long term OVH customer it threw me back a bit.

The TOS clearly states your files would be checked. Reading should come before asking.

I applaud SecureDragon for explicitly stating this in their TOS.

• GeekViewGeekView Member
    edited December 2012

1) Build your own private server.
    2) Your thinking is wrong! If you had not violated TOS/AUP bot would not burst you.
    3) Provider have right ( Read TOS/AUP)
    4) You must have been watching too much Fantasy/Sci-fi movies. So it is very difficult for you to understand reality.
    5) Entertainment.

• @spycrab101 said: 2) I think the provider is wrong for snooping on me, I agree with the concept of DMCA and would only take files down on such a notice.

3) Because you can't spy on me

1) Virtual Private Server - The "private" refers only to that other users on the system cannot see your data and all software and files are inside a container that acts like a dedicated server.
    2) No you didn't.
    3) They already did.
    4) Ignorance is not an excuse.
    5) You're not happy? Leave.

You will not find a good provider that doesn't to some degree monitor its clients and what they do on the server. You also cannot argue that your right to privacy was violated, as no US law states that Americans have them.

Now, if you would like to continue posting your bullshit in the forums, by all means, continue. Nobody here gives a damn and clearly every response to this thread has been calling you a dufus.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Thanks for the Paypal dispute, enjoy the FraudRecord report (which you agreed to). ;)

@KuJoe #winning

• DeanDean Member
    edited December 2012

he actually did it? there's no way he'll win.

report him to the mpaa lol

Just keep in mind everybody, it's only illegal if you get caught. LoL.

• I don't think I'll win anyway since its virtual goods but I just wanted to know why I was refunded $1 (seems like it was sent as a joke instead of scamming like I thought)

• You break the rule still you want royal treatment? huh. You will not win, forget it. Your sign up IP deserves to be in Maxmind database so that no other Leb providers bot get a chance to deal with you.

As a thank you for all of the support we've received while I was unable to defend the accusations against us this morning, I've setup the promotion code "dontspy" for 10 orders for those who want 20% off their annual payment.

• Can the thread be closed please. I don't wish to talk about the paypal dispute here.

• @KuJoe said: As a thank you for all of the support we've received while I was unable to defend the accusations against us this morning, I've setup the promotion code "dontspy" for 10 orders for those who want 20% off their annual payment.

w00t :D

@spycrab101 said: Can the thread be closed please. I don't wish to talk about the paypal dispute here.

Hey... you dug your own hole...

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@DamienSB said: Virtual Private Server - The "private" refers only to that other users on the system cannot see your data and all software and files are inside a container that acts like a dedicated server.

I think this needs to be stressed here. Perhaps other have the misconception that a VPS is your own little world to do whatever you want with, completely undetectable by any authorities.

edited December 2012

A VPS is like an apartment. We're the landlords and we don't allow cooking meth in our building.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@KuJoe said: I've setup the promotion code "dontspy" for 10 orders for those who want 20% off their annual payment.

I hate you :(

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited December 2012

@KuJoe said: A VPS is like an apartment. We're the landlords and we don't allow cooking meth in our building.

{sarcasm} ... but how do you know they're cooking meth unless you installed some cameras without their consent...

• marcmmarcm Member
    edited December 2012

@KuJoe - We have been down this road in the past with a couple of customers during our last big sale. They thought that just because they got low cost KVM servers that they should just trash them by using them to download illegal content, illegal music and so on. We shut them down on the spot. They filed PayPal disputes (there were only 4 of them), so I called PayPal and explained to them what was happening. PayPal forfeit their disputes on the spot. As it turns out, PayPal doesn't like piracy and the people who practice it either.

@spycrab101 - SecureDragon is a good hosting company and @KuJoe is a great person to deal with and has a solid reputation here on and on WHT. It is also a provider's duty to police his own servers for illegal content and it doesn't break any U.S. laws.

Now, since you have obviously engaged in piracy and copyright infringement and are now trying to paint SecureDragon as a bad hosting provider I believe that it is only fair that you also post your full name and location so that your claims can have some credibility. So, if you want this community to take you seriously then post a copy of your invoice along with your name, location, and the name of the copyrighted material that you were pirating. Otherwise apologize and move on. Damaging the good reputation of a solid provider isn't really fair as long as you are hiding behind anonymity.