Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

serverdragon no privacy beware - Page 10
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

serverdragon no privacy beware

Comments

• @cosmicgate said: personally i would feel my privacy has been invaded if a provider goes through my files but in this case, since mr spy clearly violated TOS by having a copy of "Dexter" on his vps, the provider has the right to terminate his service, but still, not to the extend of going through a person's files.

I would assume that KJ found out about the "dexter" file through lsof but if he did vzctl enter opensesami shit, i would have done the same thing like mr spy.

Perhaps what the provider can do is suspend the vps immediately, notify the owner that they believe they might have breached TOS, and seek permission to scan those files. Going through one's vps is like I SUSPECT YOU HAVE committed a crime, i am here to search for evidence and i am here without a search warrant.

Anyways, good job for KJ for actively kicking out the bad guys in his business.

I believe @KuJoe said that no one entered the VPS, a bot was scanning and found sabnzbd. Notified staff, VPS was shutdown and mr spy was contacted. KuJoe was giving him the chance to clear things up and move on and that the VPS could have been started at any time.

• @spycrab101 said: Still doesn't excuse him for providing me with $1 refund as a joke.

If you lived in Zimbabwe, you could convert that $1 into about a billion Mugabe bucks and while at the village market you could "make it rain" on random people walking by

• WunderbarWunderbar Member
    edited December 2012

@KuJoe said: we don't allow cooking meth in our building

// offtopic

This got me wondering. Breaking Bad is currently airing on a public broadcasting channel in my country so there are no commercial breaks. I paid my taxes/tv licensing to be able to watch it. I'm watching an episode on tv but I forgot to record it and I'd like to re-watch it. Should it really be illegal to download that episode from usenet knowing I paid for it already? (torrents upload too, which makes it illegal anyhow)

• @Wunderbar said: Should it really be illegal to download that episode from usenet knowing I paid for it already? (torrents upload too, which makes it illegal anyhow)

Have the Supreme Court in the US make a ruling rather than the lawyer-copyright holder-network-torrent downloaders mess we have now.

• So what was he running, or got caught for?

• @Mun:

@KuJoe said: We did not violate any laws, US or other to my knowledge. No human accessed his VPS or files until an automated system (that does not keep logs, reports, or even keep track of VPS IDs or IPs, it simply scans the running processed on the node, it never goes inside any VPSs or even scans files) alerted us. I checked a log file from an lsof -p output at no time knowing who the user or the IP of the VPS (I did know the VPS ID but that tells me nothing since I don't have time to memorize all of them). After finding the illegal content the VPS was powered off (not suspended and not from inside the VPS) and only then was the user identified so we could contact them to remove the content that violated our TOS. We attempted to explain our stance on illegal activity and how we cannot afford the risk to knowingly allow our services to be used for anything illegal. We offered the client multiple chances to continue using his VPS for anything that did not violate our TOS but he was unable to accept these chances. I invested at least an hour into trying to explain the situation to him but all for nothing (as this thread can show).

Aka: The automated system found some illegal content. They asked him to take it off (without looking at it and just shutting down the VPS), he doesn't do it, this goes in a cycle a few more times, then they kicked him out (and he got a 1 dollar refund).

• What happened to the picture competition @KuJoe?

• So my guess is torrent.... :| it would have been cheaper to buy it.

• or as @mojeda stated sabnzbd.

• mojedamojeda Member
    edited December 2012

@Mun said: So my guess is torrent.... :| it would have been cheaper to buy it.

Not unless he was going to get more, other than just Dexter.

• ehh, TOS violation and possible legal action worth it?

• @Mun said: ehh, TOS violation and possible legal action worth it?

I think it is apparent he didn't care about any of them.

• lol, yep

• @mojeda said: I think it is apparent he didn't care about any of them.

Sadly the attitude of most VPS customers "I'll do something illegal I wouldn't normally do in my own name but since Joe's name is on the servers, the IPs and the company I'll let him take the blame!"

• can't vps companies point the finger at the customer via TOS, and other such things in the agreement?

• @Mun said: can't vps companies point the finger at the customer via TOS, and other such things in the agreement?

They can and they do. Its just that KuJoe is taking the time to take care of it BEFORE it becomes that.

Because once authorities and legal action gets involved, downtime could happen and then he'd lose his clients and then an entire snowball effect happens.

And I'm sure no-one wants that to happen.

• @HalfEatenPie said: @Mun said: can't vps companies point the finger at the customer via TOS, and other such things in the agreement?

They can and they do. Its just that KuJoe is taking the time to take care of it BEFORE it becomes that.

Because once authorities and legal action gets involved, downtime could happen and then he'd lose his clients and then an entire snowball effect happens.

And I'm sure no-one wants that to happen.

Yeah, it sounded like bamm was saying that they can't point the finger at the consumer.

• @Mun said: Yeah, it sounded like bamm was saying that they can't point the finger at the consumer.

Well its because (and lets face it), they'd rather stop the problem at the top. To them, the "top" is the provider, even if its the user who messes it up. If they do take preemptive measures, this risk is minimized.

As much as people love privacy here, I do believe certain individuals (like the individual who originally started this thread) don't understand that providers want you to have a great time with them. If you bring something into the system that could cause either yourself or your customers problems (e.g. illegal content that could result in seizure of your server, or DDoS, or something else) major issues and disruptions in your service, as well as bring you headaches (for 4 dollars a month?), its not worth it. You're minimizing the risk and the problems.

Yes there are many hosts out there to the point that people see the hosts as a major surplus in comparison to customers (aka supply is high, demand is low). But I see it differently. The demand for high quality service will always be high (either in terms of brand name or just service/quality of hardware/quality of network/etc.), and in order to become a high quality service, you also have to look for the right quality of clients (just like how hosts here don't advertise on HackForums).

Basically the main information the original poster has told us is that he is a horrible quality client.

The issue he complained about? Well he just showed us that KuJoe and his staff actively maintain a high quality of service for the right quality of clients.

• Another way to look at it... It's bad for business if it gets to the point that the feds have to step in time and time again to tell you about your abuse activities.

• Even in the actual LEB offer and discussion is clearly noted that there are rules to be followed. ("Torrents ... not allowed." and "no torrent, no game servers, no resources abusing") and guess what, spycrab101 commented on that thread, so its quite surprising he's now acting like that. One of the reason i did chose to use KuJoe's service is because of that TOS. And the fact he really enforces it. Not everyone likes to be hosted on a node infested with spammers torrenters and other resource abusers and trouble magnets.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I still cant belive the front of some people, its like trying to sue someone for hurting your foot while you kick them in the nuts?

Why would you poke someone and publicly try to slander them and then be a PITA with a paypal dispute with someone who has your personal details, evidence and the email address of the MPAA?

I honestly find this thread to be just.... welll .... NUTS, @OP one to learn for the future... No means No.

• PaulPaul Member
    edited December 2012

Clients are bound by the TOS, as are the providers bound by the state law. In this case, ServerDragon has the right to ban/drop the client for the sake of the entire server. Illegal activities, regardless if they were done inside a VPS, that may have the potential of directly or indirectly affecting other people's data within the server, should be dealt with immediately, and at all cost.

It's just like smoking inside an establishment with a "No-Smoking" rule. You can't blame the security for kicking you out, even if what you are doing may seem "private" to you.

Spycrab might be using a virtual 'private' server, but "admittedly" running a program deemed as illegal by the TOS, and activities similarly illegal on a system hosted via a public IP that is streaming pirated data to your server, and with the express knowledge and intent of the client/customer of doing so, really makes the ban easier to call.

• What if you have the rights to have a backup copy of the media in question? Not sure how that sits in all jurisdictions, but in the UK I believe you're legally entitled to hold backups of items you own.

• @Nekki said: What if you have the rights to have a backup copy of the media in question? Not sure how that sits in all jurisdictions, but in the UK I believe you're legally entitled to hold backups of items you own.

Pretty sure when that was put into effect (just like the US) a "backup" copy tends to be a single physical backup copy such as a CD or DVD disk, not a possibly-publically-accessible virtual private server on equipment you do not own.

Also a "backup" copy would normally be created from your original source, not usenet/torrent trackers/etc.

• @kbeezie said: Pretty sure when that was put into effect (just like the US) a "backup" copy tends to be a single physical backup copy such as a CD or DVD disk, not a possibly-publically-accessible virtual private server on equipment you do not own.

I've not seen anything like that quoted anywhere, but I will investigate.

@kbeezie said:Also a "backup" copy would normally be created from your original source, not usenet/torrent trackers/etc.

Clearly, but potentially I could still have a bunch of large files titled 'Dexter.S0xE0x', which I presume could be picked up by a bot and looked into.

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited December 2012

@Nekki said: Clearly, but potentially I could still have a bunch of large files titled 'Dexter.S0xE0x', which I presume could be picked up by a bot and looked into.

True if one were to rip their box collection into a format the Plex Media server supports, but why store them on a VPS from your home location? (edit: as opposed to an actual 'backup' service not normally used for hosting).

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2012

@jarland said: Actually all I saw was praise toward the provider, hate toward the client, thus why I chose to make the alternative case rather than watch this become encouragement to other young providers.

Personally I am not looking at any private data, period. I look for processes out of control and either reboot the container if it is urgent or notify the user to take the necessary steps to solve it if it is possible to keep it on in spite of the abuse (usually it is possible since servers have mostly very low load)
    If the reboot does not solve the issue and the other customers suffer (last night shut down a container with 700 load), I have to turn it off.
    At times there are processes from known rootkits in which case the customer gets a notice and we monitor for blacklisting and big loads to shut it down, but we do not look into the data even in that case. It would be irrelevant anyway, you may not know if the customer or the rootkit put them there. If there is no reply to the notice for a long time or there is high load/blacklisting, the VPS is suspended.
    However, in cases of spam complaints and blacklisting, there is the end, the spammer will not even be able to retrieve the harvested data.
    We do monitor for exit nodes forbidden in ToS and nodes on biz plans, as well as other processes from various forbidden apps, but that is mostly done automatic by scripts which terminate them. We dont even know until the user raises the question why his forbidden app is lasting less than a minute.
    I think this is a sane way to do things. However, providers still have to go to police to explain the braindead cops that the fact a fake watches shop is hosted on their IP space does not mean they are selling them. No bot could have possibly detected that, all the DMCA they get about those have been taken care of, yet, the cops still call...

So, a few conclusions:
    1. You cannot defend from DMCA without snooping around at least once a day through all the content.
    2. DMCAs purpose was to give providers safe harbour from the law if they do take down the infringing content upon request so they do not have to spy and use resources for spying, since it is not their business and not legal in most democratic countries.
    3. The braindead cops will still raid you if they wish to, no matter if you comply with the law or not, the shoot first, ask questions later will always apply if we allow it. Especially if the result is providers doing the work of the entertainment and luxury industry.
    4. No amount of snooping around will ever be able to stop piracy and counterfeiting. If the cops want they will still be able to raid everyone, there is no punishment if they find nothing and chances are even the most afraid host that spies 24/7, if has a big enough userbase, will still have some illegal content somewhere. If only a hacked VPS with a phishing site, that will still be a reason for the search after it was found.

TL;DR no amount of spying will keep any provider safe, tho it may lower the risks a bit. Question is, is it worth ?

• @kbeezie said: True if one were to rip their box collection into a format the Plex Media server supports, but why store them on a VPS from your home location? (edit: as opposed to an actual 'backup' service not normally used for hosting).

As I already said, I have some rare and close to irreplaceable items, so I'd like to maintain an offsite backup of these particular items. I used Dexter just as an example, clearly that's not the sort of thing I'm referring to.

• @Nekki said: As I already said, I have some rare and close to irreplaceable items, so I'd like to maintain an offsite backup of these particular items. I used Dexter just as an example, clearly that's not the sort of thing I'm referring to.

Though something quite rare probably won't show up in a bot search etc. Also it wasn't the words "dexter" that flagged it, but the kind of app he was running and when checking to see what it was pulling they saw dexter.

And you would place these rare and irreplaceable items on a VPS intended for hosting?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2012

For those which have secret backups or files, I suggest encryption.
    This will solve both yours and provider's problem, they wont feel the urge to snoop around and you will be at peace.
    An ultracheap OVZ can host a truecrypt filesystem but it is very complicated, just get a KVM, a dollar more a month is worth your peace of mind.
    Some providers might even frown upon truecrypt since only criminals have something to hide, but if you run it in your KVM, they will need good skills to find it and, usually knowledgeable ppl understand the need of privacy and dont get swayed by the propaganda, especially since they know they can always say they had no idea what is there.