Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

serverdragon no privacy beware - Page 11
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

serverdragon no privacy beware

Comments

• @kbeezie said: Though something quite rare probably won't show up in a bot search etc. Also it wasn't the words "dexter" that flagged it, but the kind of app he was running and when checking to see what it was pulling they saw dexter.

And you would place these rare and irreplaceable items on a VPS intended for hosting?

They might do, I have no idea what providers are actually scanning for/how they're scanning, hence the question in the first place.

And no, I'd be putting these on a backup plan, not one intended for hosting, I did say that initially. This would be in addition to having the physical media and an on-site copy.

• @AnthonySmith said: its like trying to sue someone for hurting your foot while you kick them in the nuts?

Until recently, now that many states in the US have passed Castle Doctrine law, a burglar could invade your home, get hurt while doing it, and sue you for injury, and win. Now they enter, get shot, die, you walk free.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2012

@miTgiB said: and sue you for injury

That happened, US is the country of all possibilities.
    Here there was a big uproar when someone shot a burglar which tried to get in the house and killed him, but the law didnt convict the killer even so.
    http://www.curierulnational.ro/Eveniment/2006-02-03/Verdict+in+cazul+Iovan:+legitima+aparare
    It took a year and a month tho...

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@Nekki just because it's legal for does not mean it is allowed on our servers or by our TOS. At the end of the day we have to deal with lawyers, not our clients. A VPS is not the place for anything that could be considered a grey area because a provider should always err on the side of caution (usually not in favor of the single client).

edited December 2012

@KuJoe said: should always err on the side of caution

It depends how far the provider considers caution is a blanket that covers anything.
    The end does not justify the means and doing the dirty work for the entertainment and luxury goods industry out of fear should not go to the extremes.
    At the end of the day, LE will always be in need to set some examples, raid DCs and the like, even if everyone is doing their best to self-censor, there will always be pretexts and threats with ruining the businesses.
    At one point in time, extra "copyright managers" and lawyers will be needed to revise customer data and analyze the files for steganography, revise backups, ask for decryption and stuff like this, but it may not be enough even so.
    In the end, only the big hosting companies will afford that and the customers will flock there because they dont want to take the risk to lose data because of raids and stuff. A few bad customers will always want privacy, if they can be put off by ToS and strict interpretation of the laws, then great, everyone will benefit. Then prayers will help the provider defend against clever criminals and LE raiding the wrong rack then planting evidence to cover that up.

• @KuJoe how do you monitor? Via a cron script as mentioned earlier? Can you provide some technical details, I have a few OpenVZ nodes i might need to monitor...

• @KuJoe said: just because it's legal for does not mean it is allowed on our servers or by our TOS. At the end of the day we have to deal with lawyers, not our clients. A VPS is not the place for anything that could be considered a grey area because a provider should always err on the side of caution (usually not in favor of the single client).

That's fair enough, and a completely understandable position to take from a business point of view.

• @KuJoe said: A VPS is like an apartment. We're the landlords and we don't allow cooking meth in our building.

@KuJoe said: @kbeezie said: ... but how do you know they're cooking meth unless you installed some cameras without their consent...

Yea people in the neighborhood can smell it maybe?

• @cosmicgate said: Perhaps what the provider can do is suspend the vps immediately, notify the owner that they believe they might have breached TOS, and seek permission to scan those files. Going through one's vps is like I SUSPECT YOU HAVE committed a crime, i am here to search for evidence and i am here without a search warrant.

The search warrant was the TOS that was agreed to that said the provider can look at the files if they want.

• Can we change the thread title to "No piracy beware!"

@Corey said: The search warrant was the TOS that was agreed to that said the provider can look at the files if they want.

I am not sure this is a good argument. You may have a law in town x where you bought a cheap house that local sheriff can raid you at any time to search for illegal downloads if you have a computer and internet because he knows a computer connected to the internet can do that.
    That will not hold in any sane court even if you were supposed to know about the law when you moved in that town so you agreed to be searched when the sheriff pleases.
    If you do not have enough money to begin an action to quash the unconstitutional law, tough luck, you will have to give up your house if you want better laws. However, unless you contest the search in which case you are a bad guy which must be evicted, you are allowed to stay.

• I ♥ @KuJoe and his TOS

edited December 2012

@Raymii it's a very basic "ps aux | grep" script run via a cron job that e-mail the results.

• @Maounique said: I am not sure this is a good argument. You may have a law in town x where you bought a cheap house that local sheriff can raid you at any time to search for illegal downloads if you have a computer and internet because he knows a computer connected to the internet can do that.

That will not hold in any sane court even if you were supposed to know about the law when you moved in that town so you agreed to be searched when the sheriff pleases.
    If you do not have enough money to begin an action to quash the unconstitutional law, tough luck, you will have to give up your house if you want better laws. However, unless you contest the search in which case you are a bad guy which must be evicted, you are allowed to stay.

You had a choice to buy the cheap house, and a choice to buy KuJoe's product. You were presented with the terms, and if you did not agree you can take your business elsewhere.

• @KuJoe said: @Raymii it's a very basic "ps aux | grep" script run via a cron job that e-mail the results.

Review the mails every day, thats basicly how my day starts ass well. Logwatch, cron and what not :P

@Jack said: @KuJoe you should share it :) well with the 'search' that you look for removed but the general script would be nice :)

He already did. You wouldn't want to specify filters in the script because you might miss something...

edited December 2012

@Corey said: You were presented with the terms, and if you did not agree you can take your business elsewhere.

I doubt you read what you quoted, there will come a time you will have to, since all contracts will have those clauses and who doesnt, will be raided. You win.

• @Raymii said: He already did. You wouldn't want to specify filters in the script because you might miss something...

In a nutshell you can't really make a script that'll catch everything, at best without wasting much resources you can make a script that simply notifies you of certain red flags, then investigate from there.

• @KuJoe

Are you going to publish what applications are not allowed to be installed on your vps? same goes to any other vps providers who do the same thing. This would clear things up for me and anybody else who plans to use a VPS. As I would not have used your service if I knew about this beforehand and I'm sure there would be people who would prefer use a VPS without those applications anyway. (As I've read on this thread and others)

edited December 2012

@kbeezie said: In a nutshell you can't really make a script that'll catch everything,

Even if you would, renaming stuff will still work, unless signatures are added and those change each version.
    I think you need to contact an antivirus vendor to make a product that will ban all the undesired programs which can be used for illegal purposes or that take up resources to run.
    Oh, wait...

• @Maounique said: I doubt you read what you quoted, there will come a time you will have to, since all contracts will have those clauses and who doesnt, will be raided. You win.

NO I read it, under your theory every provider would end up having the same policies.

Every country would end up having the same policies.

Every state would end up having the same policies......

That isn't going to happen.

edited December 2012

@Corey said: That isn't going to happen.

Thank god, no matter what the most of them push for, no matter the intimidations and raids, some will still respect privacy.
    In theory, those that do not respect it will have lower costs due to fewer raids and lawsuits, but you will see that reviewing content according to the demands of the government will cost more and more each upgrade of the demand.
    I bet the providers which dont spy will have a lower cost overall.
    I hope you dont live in the dream world in which laws stop filesharing and the "losses" of a few entertainment companies, therefore the laws will be "upgraded" ad infinitum until the lobbysts run out of money or ppl force the government to respect the constitution.

@spycrab101 it's outlined in our TOS what is not allowed. We don't list specific applications because that is legal suicide (not listing an app that we never heard of would make people think it was allowed).

• All I can think of this thread is, you agreed with the TOS, you broke them and now this:

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@KuJoe said: not listing an app that we never heard of would make people think it was allowed

A, B, C, D, or any other program that we deem abusive ;)

• For me, the @KuJoe file monitoring is a great value-added service, the kind of service I would have expected (for a fee) from a managed provider. This kind of monitoring would have avoided a issue I had on a web site I once hosted on a costly non-LEB VPS. Someone compromised the server, copied DDOS scripts and, after 15 days, started to DDOS another service. The provider blocked the IP soon after, but the last 14 daily backups were spoiled by the intruder and I had to restore the VPS from a long-term backup, wasting time and efforts. A constant file check done by the VPS provider would have catched the intrusion immediately. Another hidden gem on LET, discovered by chance reading this thread.

• I find this funny, You say you didn't give your consent but you accepted the TOS/AUP etc on signup, That was your consent to this, I have had customers who agree with our Tos then break the tos then ask for a refund when there suspended, this break 2 TOS violations, The reason people/Companies have a TOS/AUP/Privacy policy is to protect them selfs, The hardware, Network, and there customers, At the end of the day this isn't illegal as you consented on agreeing with there TOS etc.

• Were these 7 page really necessary for this thread?

• @NinjaHawk_Roel said: Were these 7 page really necessary for this thread?

Were these now 2-3 comments (getting close to a half page) of saying 'is this a necessary length for this thread' necessary?

• @Corey said: Were these now 2-3 comments (getting close to a half page) of saying 'is this a necessary length for this thread' necessary?

Good. No, Great question.