Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

serverdragon no privacy beware - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

serverdragon no privacy beware

Comments

• We don't scan just look for tell tale signs.

• @averell said: Obviously everybody does some degree of monitoring. But I seriously doubt the majority of providers scan for sabnzbd. In fact i think it's a bit on the too-safe side, and it's too bad there is no good way to tell (for both providers and customers).

You could always ask...

• @24khost said: We don't scan just look for tell tale signs.

Scanning tends to waste too much resources anyways.

• @24khost

You just said earlier you look for files over 10MB and check to see what they are.

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited December 2012

@spycrab101 said: You just said earlier you look for files over 10MB and check to see what they are.

No I only gave you an example on how to do it, if a provider wanted to look for a zip file over 10MB, no one in this thread said they do. As an example of how easy it would be to do on OpenVz.

• No relook, I don't scan. I look for tell tale signs. Things like massive bandwidth usage and odd network activity. Space usage up and down constantly. Things that seem out of the ordinary.

• @kbeezie said: You could always ask...

No, you cannot really. Of course every single provider forbids any and all in any conceivable way illegal or shady programs or resource usage. The actual enforcing is what matters, and there is quite a degree of freedom between getting suspended after receiving a DMCA notice for torrenting or for running sabnzbd.

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited December 2012

@averell said: No, you cannot really. Of course every single provider forbids any and all in any conceivable way illegal or shady programs or resource usage. The actual enforcing is what matters, and there is quite a degree of freedom between getting suspended after receiving a DMCA notice for torrenting or for running sabnzbd.

Of course you can ask "hey... are you monitoring me? and if so how?" :P It never hurts to ask...

• @24khost

I used 10GB bandwidth over the course of a week? Downloaded sabnzbd last night and tested it with a dexter download, VPS was flagged for abuse as soon as the file unpacked.

You make out like I've been using 1000GB's when I've not. I know VPS is a shared system however I thought I wasn't going out of line by doing the odd download now and then. (It never even got to that stage as I was cut off nearly as soon as I unpacked that file)

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@spycrab101 said: I used 10GB bandwidth over the course of a week? Downloaded sabnzbd last night and tested it with a dexter download, VPS was flagged for abuse as soon as the file unpacked.

Wow, I'm liking mre SD for this

• as far as im aware downloading isn't illegal in many places. its the uploading which is. torrent both happens which is why users get hit. I've not heard of anyone getting dmca for downloading from Usenet. i could be wrong though

• @spycrab101 said: I used 10GB bandwidth over the course of a week? Downloaded sabnzbd last night and tested it with a dexter download, VPS was flagged for abuse as soon as the file unpacked.

You make out like I've been using 1000GB's when I've not. I know VPS is a shared system however I thought I wasn't going out of line by doing the odd download now and then. (It never even got to that stage as I was cut off nearly as soon as I unpacked that file)

And you know what the best part is... You would still be running a VPS with them even after that if you were not so combative with support.

• @kbeezie said: Of course you can ask "hey... are you monitoring me? and if so how?" :P It never hurts to ask...

I would have hoped as long as there's no loud screaming, the super wouldn't start snooping.
    Really a list of what the policies of all providers was in that regard would be great, but I don't think an extra thread would get much attention. After all nobody wants to lose customers, or attract the wrong kind. Anyway, I'm getting a good sense of providers posting in here, so that's a start.

• @spycrab101 my practices are different from @KuJoe but we do it differently. If we catch you though your done.

• @averell said: I would have hoped as long as there's no loud screaming, the super wouldn't start snooping.

Really a list of what the policies of all providers was in that regard would be great, but I don't think an extra thread would get much attention. After all nobody wants to lose customers, or attract the wrong kind. Anyway, I'm getting a good sense of providers posting in here, so that's a start.

-_- are we really going to compare a VPS to the likes of a physical personal apartment?

• @24khost said: @spycrab101 my practices are different from @KuJoe but we do it differently. If we catch you though your done.

The mis-use of your/you're in this entire thread is staggering.

• I thought rented space was quite similar. Feel free to give a better analogy.

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited December 2012

@averell said: I thought rented space was quite similar. Feel free to give a better analogy.

More like a storefront I guess? But can't really compare a place of residence with a service though, different considerations and what not. Not the same thing.

Closest comparison I can think of are those telecomute cubical type of things.

• Sorry I was just typing. Don't always worry about correct grammer.

• averellaverell Member
    edited December 2012

No storefront. There is no public front. Unless you're saying you'll check the back rooms if you rent store-space. -As far as the crack-dealing goes, you would have to tell by the fast car I'm driving, because I didn't tell you.-
    Guess i was caught by your edit, I don't know what cubes you mean :)

• @averell said: No storefront. There is no public front. Unless you're saying you'll check the back rooms if you rent store-space. As far as the crack-dealing goes, you would have to tell by the fast car I'm driving, because I didn't tell you.

Simply put, I don't think it's even an accurate comparison, a VPS has more traffic in and out than a brothel.

• @kbeezie said: Simply put, I don't think it's even an accurate comparison, a VPS has more traffic in and out than a brothel.

It has as much traffic as a grocery store, yet you check the trash-cans for needles, and thus find out it's a brothel/crack-house and evict. Of course, that is the right course of action, yet how you find out is still questionable.

• @exussum said: as far as im aware downloading isn't illegal in many places. its the uploading which is. torrent both happens which is why users get hit. I've not heard of anyone getting dmca for downloading from Usenet. i could be wrong though

Not the point... @spycrab101 broke SD's ToS which clearly states:

All Services:

1) You may not run any process that Secure Dragon deems excessive and impacts the other users on your server.
    2) You may not run any unattended process that requires server resources for long durations.

If you exceed or abuse the resources provided for your service the following action may be taken:

2) Suspension of service (in severe cases termination).
    4) Turning off service and notification.

PROHIBITED USAGE

1. Transmission, distribution, or storage of any material in violation of any applicable law or regulation is prohibited.

In this case he installed sabnzbd which SD doesn't necessarily want running as it can be used to download illegal (copyrighted) material, which in this case @spycrab101 admitted to downloading an episode of Dexter:

@spycrab101 said: Downloaded sabnzbd last night and tested it with a dexter download

Dexter is copyrighted under US Law, and by downloading it he obtained it illegally.

http://serverdragon.com/tos.php

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited December 2012

@averell said: It has as much traffic as a grocery store, yet you check the trash-cans for needles, and thus find out it's a brothel/crack-house and evict. Of course, that is the right course of action, yet how you find out is still questionable.

apples and oranges, they cannot be compared. Most of the terms you'd see for a VPS would be absolutely insane for housing. Analogies are just distractions.

• Would truecrypt work on a VPS? I've googled it and there doesn't seem to be much information on it.

• @mojeda said: Dexter is copyrighted under US Law, and by downloading it he obtained it illegally.

And then by downloading it from there to his home computer, he distributed it :D

• @spycrab101 don't think that will matter.

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited December 2012

@spycrab101 said: Would truecrypt work on a VPS? I've googled it and there doesn't seem to be much information on it.

It would, but linux/bsd would normally be compiled from source and you would have to have the fuse kernel module on the host active, it's all command line.

Btw what's your name? I want to avoid you if you sign up.

PS: On OpenVz it wouldn't matter, because as long as it's mounted it's readable.

• @kbeezie said: apples and oranges, they cannot be compared. Most of the terms you'd see for a VPS would be absolutely insane for housing. Analogies are just distractions.

Nevertheless people have an expectation of privacy. I shouldn't have to ask if someone will snoop, it should be made abundantly clear.

• me to what is your name please?