Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

serverdragon no privacy beware
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

serverdragon no privacy beware

spycrab101spycrab101 Member
edited December 2012 in General

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/60865381/I_DO_NOT_CONSENT.png

The only acceptable reason for serverdragon to contact me or anyone about illegal data is if they have a duty to act. eg a DMCA request otherwise this should have never took place.

Serverdragon don't seem to understand what they are doing is illegal. I thought I would like other customers know that they are using bots to monitor your personal files.

The company has refunded me $1 (I am due about £9.28 GBP) and has ignored my requests for clarification on this matter. They have since deleted my account and I can no longer respond to them.

Stay away from these scammers.

Comments

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited December 2012

Hrmmmmmmmmm Not sure Scammers is quite the word I would use, a provider doesn't need an outside order to conduct their own internal investigation on possible TOS/AUP violations. They are after all held responsible by some of your actions as such they have a duty to protect themselves where warranted.

Also it's not illegal if you agreed to the terms of service when you signed up for the service and entered into contract with them.

• Joy.

• What had you done which was against their AUP/TOS?

• DamianDamian Member
    edited December 2012

I love these!

@spycrab101 said: The only acceptable reason for serverdragon to contact me or anyone about illegal data is if they have a duty to act.

Ostensibly, ServerDragon has a performance-level that they need to meet to ensure that their service meets some level of fitness. Being shutdown/raided due to illegal data(as you stated!), would hinder meeting that goal.

@spycrab101 said: Serverdragon don't seem to understand what they are doing is illegal.

Can you prove this? Keep in mind that ServerDragon is a United States company, so EU law is not applicable here. There has yet to be "US data protection law".

Additionally, ServerDragon is in business to sell things. Arbitrarily terming clients because of illegal content won't bode well for their service, so I really doubt that they would term you for the hell of it.

• spycrab101spycrab101 Member
    edited December 2012

They are after all held responsible by some of your actions as such they have a duty to protect themselves where warranted.

I fully understand that however they had no reason to act since they did not have a DMCA request.

I was using my server for private use and I don't like anyone snooping in on my personal files to find out what i am up to. I was not aware of this snooping bot I am almost sure such action is illegal under us data protection law.

I was sold a virtual private server after all?

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep
  • @spycrab101 said: I am almost sure such action is illegal under us data protection law.

Ha.

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited December 2012

@spycrab101 said: I was sold a virtual private server after all?

Private is in regards to isolation/assignment of resources such as memory, cpu, disk, etc. Not in terms of privacy/free-reign-to-break-local-laws.

PS: Where is this US Data Protection law?

• @spycrab101 said: I am almost sure such action is illegal under us data protection law.

Probably, if there was such a thing...

• @spycrab101 said: Serverdragon don't seem to understand what they are doing is illegal.

You agreed to it in the ToS and all butthurt, you decide to make it a PR issue.

Quit downloading torrents, noob. You are the reason why providers outright prohibit it.

I have notified grief counsellors and they are coming immediately to this discussion

• MartinDMartinD Member
    edited December 2012

@spycrab101 said: I fully understand that however they had no reason to act since they did not have a DMCA request.

By that logic, all providers should allow any kind of abuse unless they receive a DMCA... which has no business anywhere else apart from in the US.

Not sure, but I'm pretty positive there's a flaw in your logic somewhere.

Really, knowing your provider is using such monitors/scripts/whatever should be a good thing. You then know you're not going to be left on a node with a disruptive neighbour. Seems in this case you were that disruptive neighbour.

• @MartinD said: By that logic, all providers should allow any kind of abuse unless they receive a DMCA... which has no business anywhere else apart from in the US.
    Not sure, but I'm pretty positive there's a flaw in your logic somewhere.

Also by that logic, that's saying you can download whatever you want, even if the provider knows about it they can't do anything unless an outside source caught them... yea that logic :D

Anyways, a provider/etc doesn't exactly require access to the node/drive to see a torrent seeder running, if they see that kind of traffic then obviously they're going to investigate. They're not scammers for investigating abuse against their own TOS to which you AGREED to when you signed up for the service.

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited December 2012

you broke the TOS and they use a bot without feelings, gtfo

(talking in language that this kid can understand)

• @spycrab101 can you please tell us your name, address and possibly email so we (all the providers) can avoid you as much as possible?

• @rds100 can you email me your personal files since I need to check to make sure you aren't making threats behind my back.

• @KuJoe is with ServerDragon right?

• @spycrab101: I have no sympathy for you.

• @spycrab101 = Epic Fail!

First they didn't have to refund you anything. Were you using a lot of your bandwidth awfully quick? Were you seeding? My guess is your were seeding something fairly popular and it triggered some kind of alert. You got caught breaking the rules. Your lucky they gave you a dollar. I would have given you $0.50 and told you to call somebody who cares.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited December 2012

Look at what I found:

in http://serverdragon.com/tos.php

You DID read this, RIGHT?

So you signed up, then knowingly violated the terms set forth? Then are attempting to cry "privacy!" when you were found out?

This process is spelled out in plain text. If you didn't want this to happen, why did you sign up? I don't think there was any collusion involved to force you to sign up for this service, so it was 100% free will on your part.

If English isn't your native language, please put " All files uploaded to our servers are subject to examination by our staff to ensure the safety and security of our staff, clients, and property." into http://translate.google.com/

• @spycrab101 i have a VPS with ServerDragon and i have no problem with them automatically scanning my filesystem for known malware, etc.

• imagineimagine Member
    edited December 2012

There is no Data Protection Act in the USA, and proactive file monitoring is perfectly legal.

Also, they did make it very clear to you that your data would be liable to be monitored, explicitly in their privacy policy (http://serverdragon.com/tos.php):

PRIVACY POLICY

Your personal information will always remain private. We will never sell or share your personal information with any other person or company for our benefit. We will however always assist with government, law enforcement, and other legal requests. We will utilize 3rd parties for payment processing, fraud checking and reporting, and other screening methods to verify information and for security. All files uploaded to our servers are subject to examination by our staff to ensure the safety and security of our staff, clients, and property.

By ordering our services or products you agree to receive e-mails from us including, but not limited to, newsletters, announcements, specials, contests, and other information. You may opt-out at any time and an unsubscribe link will be provided in all promotional e-mails.

You are unable to opt-out of announcements relating to our service or account related e-mails.

We comply with the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003.

If you broke the didn't fully read and understand the Terms of Service before you agreed to them - then you really have no right or reason to shout about a breach of your privacy.

If you want protection for your data under local law, then don't host in the USA.

Overall, SecureDragon had every right to check your files proactively to ensure the continuity of their services. If you're in breach of their Terms of Service through something you were holding on their servers - you are totally liable for termination if that's what they impose.

All I can say is understand their Terms before you sign up, and if what you're doing is illegal / prohibited by the provider, any decent provider will spot you (or receive a complaint) and you will get burned. Coming and shouting it at a forum just makes you look like a fool for failing to understand and comply with local regulations and the company's terms.

Obviously, if I'm missing something here, do feel free to correct me, but it seems pretty obvious to me that SecureDragon were very much up front about their practices.

• @HalfEatenPie Do you have sympathy for anyone?
    @spycrab101 @rds100 didn't speak behind your back was telling you right to your face.

@spycrab101 your an idiot.

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited December 2012

@24khost said: @spycrab101 your an idiot.

s/your/you're/
    (not saying you're wrong... just saying the insult sounds better when used correctly).

• If you want protection for your data under local law, then don't host in the USA.

Where then? I have been an OVH customer for a while and I've not had any snooping issues like this. I was wondering how common this is?

• @spycrab101 said: I was not aware of this snooping bot I am almost sure such action is illegal under us data protection law.

Clearly didn't read TOS when TOS is crystal clear
    Close the thread

Some of you VPS users who are supporting @spycrab101 would change your tune when you deal with so much torrent related crap. I'm considering outright prohibiting it to not even deal with it. The loss of $5-10/mo on these warez/torrent customers who can barely pay their bills on time will not make me lose sleep at night because there's a better customer who can have that IP assigned to them rather than dealing with DMCA, DDoS and other torrent/warez/scumbag problems

• spycrab101spycrab101 Member
    edited December 2012

Btw, I was not suspended for torrenting. The bot detected I had installed sabnzbd. (I assume that's how the VPS got flagged so I am lead to believe)

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@bamn said: Close the thread

I fail to see how that will improve the situation for any of the parties involved.

• @24khost said: @HalfEatenPie Do you have sympathy for anyone?

Here's the following list of people I don't have sympathy for:

• Idiots
    • Scammers
    • Pretentious Individuals
    • Jerks
    • Idiots (did I already said that?)

If you do something stupid, I'll probably end up labeling you as an idiot in my head.

• You would have been banned anyways when you fired up sabnzbd to leech from UseNet