Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

serverdragon no privacy beware - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

serverdragon no privacy beware

Comments

• @spycrab101 said: I wasn't banned but the server was shutdown unexpectedly shut down without any reason until I got an email about illegal content being found.

I assumed that sabnzbd was the trigger since the bot mentioned it in the "illegal content" found.

I'm sure there was more to it than just sabnzbd.

• What else did the bot mention? (What were you downloading, and what amount in what time?)

• @kbeezie

How can a bot tell if you have illegal content or not? I assume the bot triggered an snzbd install then the staff went though all my personal files without me knowing to find something.

• lol zen

• I'll tell you something, I used to repair laptop's and other items and if I told a customer I had used a bot to scan their personal files without their consent I'm sure they would just as pleased as I am.

• Could you just paste that email? Somehow it feels like relevant information is missing.

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited December 2012

@spycrab101 said: How can a bot tell if you have illegal content or not? I assume the bot triggered an snzbd install then the staff went though all my personal files without me knowing to find something.

Depends on your content, some people are stupid enough to have "MicrosoftOffice2007.rar" sitting somewhere on their server. Or some movie names etc etc.

I mean if I wanted to see if there was a zip file bigger than 10MB on someone's node I could just do:

find /vz/private/### -name "*.zip" -size +10M

Where ### is the container ID, and if the files were named suspiciously like application, movie, tv shows etc name, then it'd be pretty obvious to take actions.

Not not even be a bot, could just be a script on a cron job to look for the obvious. Fact of the matter is, you agreed to their terms, you were found in violation, move along.

• I don't see how this matters, the customers are paying for the resources. Monitoring the usage of said resources seems wrong in a way.

Often if I see a high bandwidth VPS, the hostname explains it all "vpn", "tor" (Port restrictions, and legal warnings are always present on the tor nodes).

@24khost said: bandwidth really quickly we start to investigate.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

He was not terminated for running sabnzbd or downloading illegal content. He was terminated for being confrontational when we notified him of the illegal content. I tried to be nice about it but that was illegal apparently.

• @spycrab101 said: I'll tell you something, I used to repair laptop's and other items and if I told a customer I had used a bot to scan their personal files without their consent I'm sure they would just as pleased as I am.

Woah guys! We have a badass here! He repairs laptops!

• @kbeezie

Do you find it acceptable to spy on your customers like that? For no reason at all. I would understand if you had a legal duty but you don't.

• @KuJoe said: He was not terminated for running sabnzbd or downloading illegal content. He was terminated for being confrontational when we notified him of the illegal content. I tried to be nice about it but that was illegal apparently.

I'm assuming if he had removed said content and complied, he would have went along his merry way, yes?

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited December 2012

@spycrab101 said: Do you find it acceptable to spy on your customers like that? For no reason at all. I would understand if you had a legal duty but you don't.

"for no reason at all"... that's funny. I think every provider has a legal duty to make sure content being hosted on their servers do not violate their own terms with the datacenter let alone local laws...

You call it spying, I call it proactive monitoring. bots/scripts look for specific "red flags", they don't exactly just browse around.

PS: I don't deal with OpenVz anymore, but I've caught a couple of clients distributing pirated materials before on OpenVz quite easily and it was within the terms of the agreement, "Privacy" only really applies if I'm relaying customer information to 3rd parties, but some information needs to be known in order to keep the whole ship afloat.

• @spycrab101 Get over it. If you chose to download illegal files and got caught, just say my bad. Don't do it again on the server and place a cancelation request and go elsewhere. But if you get combative to the staff, your pretty much done. No staff is going to deal with somebody being ignorant very long.

• @KuJoe

I am sorry if I appeared confrontational towards you. This was not my intention and I just wanted the service cancelled after I had found out your company was spying on me.

Also again I would still like a response on the paypal matter? Can I contact you elsewhere to get this matter resolved? I would rather not deal with it here.

• @kbeezie

They removed it for me.

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited December 2012

@spycrab101 said: I am sorry if I appeared confrontational towards you. This was not my intention and I just wanted the service cancelled after I had found out your company was spying on me.

Personally I find this funny, you're breaking the law, yet you get pissy about them catching you do it? What ServerDragon did was legal, what you did was not.

And you call them scammers?

• i use Usenet for backup. its all encrypted and has lots of different titles. Usenet is great for this as its distributed nature means backups are on many servers. im happy enough with the encryption on the files and the scarcity of them.

so yes there are legal binaries on Usenet

• @kbeezie

They've closed my account so I can't ask them why they have only refunded me $1. Seems scamish to me.

• You broke the TOS, there is no chance in getting your money back - you're lucky you got $1.00; PayPal would side with ServerDragon too I believe as you agreed to the terms when you signed up.

• @spycrab101 you want a refund on service where you violated the aup/tos? GTFO . Are you kidding me?

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited December 2012

@spycrab101 said: They've closed my account so I can't ask them why they have only refunded me $1. Seems scamish to me.

Maybe they only refunded you for the time you haven't used yet. If for example the service was $30 for 30 days, and you got terminated on day 29, get a $1 refund for time not used.

I'm surprised you got a refund at all for violating the TOS.

• @exussum said: i use Usenet for backup. its all encrypted and has lots of different titles. Usenet is great for this as its distributed nature means backups are on many servers. im happy enough with the encryption on the files and the scarcity of them.

so yes there are legal binaries on Usenet

You probably don't use SABnzbd to interact with your backups, either.

• yes i do. sabnzbd is awesome. the uploading side isn't done by sab but 100% of the downloads are

• @kbeezie

No idea that's why I have asked them 3 times in the thread and twice on the ticket system before I was kicked off.

• @Damian the poor excuse that guy gave are not normal uses.

Dead heads use it to trade live recordings
    and
    others use it to trade old time radio shows.

Those are the only 2 uses I know.

• @spycrab101 said: No idea that's why I have asked them 3 times in the thread and twice on the ticket system before I was kicked off.

At this point I think it's not worth their time to 'argue' with you, I don't think the whole, accusing them of illegally violating a non-existant data law kind of turned off the possibility for further communications. :D

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

We did not login to your VPS. Our automated system alerted us to sabnzbd, which is allowed. We did an lsof on the process and it showed your log file which contained video files for the TV show Dexter. We turned off your VPS and opened a ticket.

• @Zen

I emailed them before I made this thread and got no response. I have gave SD a lot of time to get this sorted.

• I use usenet to download tv-shows and movies. So what. As long as I don't cause service disruptions or other bad things i expect people to mind their own fucking business.

Of course this kind of attitude towards support, and then creating a shit-storm when you have no legal grounds to stand on, I wouldn't be giving any refunds either.