Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free European Xen VPS - Back in Stock! - Page 9
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Free European Xen VPS - Back in Stock!

Comments

• @randvegeta said:
    cap your server to 1Mbit indefinitely

Just for that month or forever?

There is stock now. 10 left at the time of this post. ETA before stock runs out, <30mins.

Sadly not allowed to get another one xd

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

colingpt said: Just for that month or forever?

We dont have anything automatic in place. We track by IP from our NetFlow collector. We can see how much traffic everyone is using, both current and over a 1 month period. Our accounting is done in calendar month's though, not based on your signup/renewal dates.

90% + of our free users do not use anything close to 100GB. The few that regularly use 100GB, we tend to leave alone. So we have some clients who use 50GB /month on average and 1 month they happen to use 150GB. We wont suspend or cap that client for 1 month's over usage. But if that client continues to do so, we may cap them at 1M, and normally its indefinite because it adds administrative costs if we need to uncap later.

And if someone really takes the piss and goes through their allowance in 1 day, then we terminate. What use is a VPS for 1 day /month? We consider that abuse and so justifies termination.

Thanked by 1colingpt

colingpt said: Sadly not allowed to get another one xd

Indeed :-). 1 per person, or hardly anyone would get one :D.

• I bet you guys enjoy pushing the red "Terminate" button in font awesome styling.

randvegeta said: And if someone really takes the piss and goes through their allowance in 1 day, then we terminate. What use is a VPS for 1 day /month? We consider that abuse and so justifies termination.

• @randvegeta said:
    And if someone really takes the piss and goes through their allowance in 1 day, then we terminate. What use is a VPS for 1 day /month? We consider that abuse and so justifies termination.

Fair enough, thank you!

GM2015 said: I bet you guys enjoy pushing the red "Terminate" button in font awesome styling.

You bet. Nothing like having power to take away something from someone. Oooh the rush.

• colingptcolingpt Member
    edited January 2016

@randvegeta said:
    You bet. Nothing like having power to take away something from someone. Oooh the rush.

As long as its yours and free for others to use...

• Wow, I just snagged one!

MissFortune said: Wow, I just snagged one!

Congrats. We are out of stock again! So lucky you!

Thanked by 1MissFortune

And another 20 have been released. Didn't even need to deploy a new node this time. Some 3 day old signups haven't touched the VPS so they have been forfeit. If anyone here has signed up for a free VPS but did not provision within 3 days, your VPS may now be canceled. Those people may apply again, stock permitting.

• Grabbed one. Thanks

• pylodepylode Member
    edited January 2016

trying to install Debian Jessie (32bit) and it seems to freeze on:

Retrieved file /dists/jessie-updates/main/i18n/Translation-en.bz2

smooch1502 said: trying to install Debian Jessie (32bit) and it seems to freeze on:

You should use 64bit if possible. But this issue has been raised before, just go into the console and follow the instructions. Normally you just need to press enter.

• Wow, gone already? That was fast! I waited too long.

dailymc said: Wow, gone already? That was fast! I waited too long.

Yes they disappear quickly. And 20% of those who get it dont do anything for 3 days, just let their VPS sit there unprovisioned. Such a waste, hence we cancel them :).

• randvegeta said: said: Wow, gone already? That was fast! I waited too long.

Yes they disappear quickly. And 20% of those who get it dont do anything

how do you know that they are being utilized? cpu,ram usage?

• @randvegeta said:
    Yes they disappear quickly. And 20% of those who get it dont do anything for 3 days, just let their VPS sit there unprovisioned. Such a waste, hence we cancel them :).

Do you open those as they get canceled or am I waiting for another day? :)

smooch1502 said: how do you know that they are being utilized? cpu,ram usage?

If its 'off' it's not in use.

dailymc said: Do you open those as they get canceled or am I waiting for another day? :)

No we just increase the number we release the next day or just release them later on the same day.

• @randvegeta said:

Is observium allowed?

• @randvegeta said:
    You should use 64bit if possible. But this issue has been raised before, just go into the console and follow the instructions. Normally you just need to press enter.

people stop at /Translation-en.bz2 because 103.xxx.xx.10 is not responding. So they have to skip in vnc. I notice when a lot of people provision above ip is going down, after majority done their provision, it go up and re-provision will be fine without stop or manually adjust.

also,curious why use unbound as default? normally setting 8888 or 8844 is ok, isn't it?

Today's batch released. Stock for 20.

No more stock will be released until Wednesday when we get our new nodes setup. Or there may be limited release from freed up space on existing nodes only.

colingpt said: people stop at /Translation-en.bz2 because 103.xxx.xx.10 is not responding. So they have to skip in vnc. I notice when a lot of people provision above ip is going down, after majority done their provision, it go up and re-provision will be fine without stop or manually adjust.

When a lot of users sign up at once, the provisioning system gets busy and can hang. You are quite correct. It seems the system has limited capacity to provision multiple machines simultaneously. Our 20 VMs per day limit tends to sell out within 30 - 90 minutes, which means we end up with a lot of provisions happening at the same time.

Debian/Ubuntu sometimes hangs due to the requirement of user input during the install (press enter or any key type of thing). This can be resolved in the console.

Some OS are untested and may not work. Some OS require 1GB+ RAM and WILL NOT work. The common ones like 64Bit CentOS 5&6, Debian Jessie and Ubuntu 14 all work fine on 512MB RAM. CentOS tends to not have any problems during the install whereas Debian often requires the enter key pressed (once) during install.

colingpt said: also,curious why use unbound as default? normally setting 8888 or 8844 is ok, isn't it?

A bug in the system. Not sure what is the cause or how to fix it. Yet.

edited January 2016

@randvegeta said:

A bug in the system. Not sure what is the cause or how to fix it. Yet.

Bug about your template? Hopefully you can solve it, or maybe share more detail here to get some idea?

I haven't tried to uninstall unbound and change nameserver mannully. Doed it work after installing?

you can easily change name-servers after.

• Anna_ParkerAnna_Parker Member
    edited January 2016

@randvegeta What happened? All VPS are down, your site also. Should I play The Doors? ;-)

EDIT: OK, that was a passing inconvenience.

EDIT: Not really: 41% packet loss

• bersybersy Member
    edited January 2016

Mine one works fine as far as I can see, and http://vpsbit.com/ is reachable.

• mine is down as well..cant open the site either.

• No issue with the website from here

edited January 2016

looks like mine was rebooted, uptime is
    20:12:24 up 2 days, 1:29, 1 user, load average: 0.02, 0.02, 0.05

but weird thing is that my nixstat didn't report anything and domain uptime is also 100% now..

• bersybersy Member
    edited January 2016

There's something wrong http://i.ping.pe/q/j/img_qjJ0eEWN.png My box is still up, uptime is 50 days or so.

Thanked by 1byves09