Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dacentec $20 server : back with 100mbps unmetered option - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dacentec $20 server : back with 100mbps unmetered option

Comments

• Let's see what my wife says if I explain to her that portflooding is part of my love.

Thanked by 2Nekki netomx
  • Amitz said: Let's see what my wife says if I explain to her that portflooding is part of my love.

You should treat your wife properly, if you must portflood, use a cheap container.

• @singsing said:
    Doesn't sound robust. What if they post it as $19.99?

On past experience that is unlikely. But you could set a watch for that too. Or if you watch service support regexp matching or similar a single watch instance could look for anything in a price range you choose.

• dacentecdacentec Member, Host Rep

We have never done the nines thing, I hope we never do.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

Still waiting to grab a 20 dollar server... @dacentec will ddos protection in the future be an added cost? Sorry if its a stupid question but to me, you guys seem perfect on price and hardware with the exception of not having ddos protection available and something I would surely be interested in.

• @risharde said:
    Still waiting to grab a 20 dollar server... dacentec will ddos protection in the future be an added cost? Sorry if its a stupid question but to me, you guys seem perfect on price and hardware with the exception of not having ddos protection available and something I would surely be interested in.

No fear, I believe they will be offering this soon, along with the moon on a stick.

Thanks @Nekki can't wait to have one of these dedis in the fleet... wish @dacentec could give us an idea if this would be something coming soon or within a year or two

Finally got one of the last $20 dollars for the day today, wish I could have gotten the 1381 but I got the 1352... It'll work considering its hard to predict when the next 1381 will become available again

• sinsin Member
    edited October 2015

@risharde said:
    Finally got one of the last $20 dollars for the day today, wish I could have gotten the 1381 but I got the 1352... It'll work considering its hard to predict when the next 1381 will become available again

They actually put out new ones like once or twice a week and the price always goes back and forth...it basically comes down to if you need one right away or if you can hold out for a few days until they put up new stock. I frequently check out their site and they do a good job with availability - I plan on picking up a new $20 this coming month :). I'm sure you will enjoy your 1352.

Thanked by 1risharde

Thanks for the heads up @sin , I'm still awaiting for the provision SLA says 24 hours but hoping I can get it tonight to prep! Looking forward to this!

Thanked by 1sin
  • Hey,

Does anyone know how long it takes for Dacentec to provision new HDDs in servers? I put in an order on sunday morning (australian time, probably saturday night in the US), but still haven't received any notification that it's been added. I put in a ticket on the 28th that's been sitting there with no response as well. I know the order's been paid for as my dacentec account balance already had enough money to cover the cost.

Any info would be appreciated.

• Aww.. missed the $20 servers again. I had enough, just wrote a script to scan the dedi page for $20.00 every half an hour and instantly notify me thru email. Let's see if I could get 1 come next availability.

• sinsin Member

@warywolf said:
    Hey,

Does anyone know how long it takes for Dacentec to provision new HDDs in servers? I put in an order on sunday morning (australian time, probably saturday night in the US), but still haven't received any notification that it's been added. I put in a ticket on the 28th that's been sitting there with no response as well. I know the order's been paid for as my dacentec account balance already had enough money to cover the cost.

Any info would be appreciated.

That's odd, I had a harddrive replaced within 15 minutes when I requested a new one

• @sin said:
    That's odd, I had a harddrive replaced within 15 minutes when I requested a new one

This is for an additional hard drive (SSD, to be specific), not a replacement, so maybe it's different. Still, thanks for the response.

I have generally been happy with dacentec, having kept two RTO servers for one year each, and i'm on my third now. Prices have come down considerably, too. Just not sure what to do right now, since I haven't heard anything at all regarding this.

• @risharde said:
    I'm still awaiting for the provision SLA says 24 hours but hoping I can get it tonight to prep! Looking forward to this!

Even with the extra drive in the order, mine was online ready for me to setup well with the 24 hours. No more then 12 IIRC.

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

I scored one of the $20 2X2TB servers and am currently provisioning it. Does anyone else know if it takes a bit longer than usual for these machines to install an OS? Been about 20 minutes now. @dacentec?

• @agoldenberg said:
    I scored one of the $20 2X2TB servers and am currently provisioning it. Does anyone else know if it takes a bit longer than usual for these machines to install an OS? Been about 20 minutes now

If you selected software raid it may've gotten stuck during the automated install and you'll need to request a KVM to fix it. Otherwise it can easily take 30+ mins to install if there are lots of reboots involved in the setup.

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

Got debian installed. Looking at the drives, one is 3 years old and the other is 4. Old drives.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@al3xt said:
    Aww.. missed the $20 servers again. I had enough, just wrote a script to scan the dedi page for $20.00 every half an hour and instantly notify me thru email. Let's see if I could get 1 come next availability.

It should be a minute, not 30

• sinsin Member

@mikeyur said:
    If you selected software raid it may've gotten stuck during the automated install and you'll need to request a KVM to fix it. Otherwise it can easily take 30+ mins to install if there are lots of reboots involved in the setup.

You can just open a ticket and let them know that the install is stuck, they'll fix it for you quickly and without needing a KVM. I did it all the time when my Debian Jessie RAID 1 installs would get stuck.

Just checked my drives... they seem to be nearly 5 years old... really fearful of them failing... do any of you have experience on whether these enterprise drives fail around this time period?

Oh man! You are really lucky! I wanted one of those because those drives seem newer! Congrats on your buy!

@agoldenberg said:
    I scored one of the $20 2X2TB servers and am currently provisioning it. Does anyone else know if it takes a bit longer than usual for these machines to install an OS? Been about 20 minutes now. dacentec?

It took about 15 minutes to do centos 6 on my one.. I had KVM access so I monitored it from there or else I would probably be feeling the same way you are. Did you get through?

@agoldenberg said:
    I scored one of the $20 2X2TB servers and am currently provisioning it. Does anyone else know if it takes a bit longer than usual for these machines to install an OS? Been about 20 minutes now. dacentec?

• @netomx said:
    It should be a minute, not 30

It's bastards like you who keep DDoSing their site!

Thanked by 2netomx FlamesRunner
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@telephone said:
    It's bastards like you who keep DDoSing their site!

Nah

• risharde said: Just checked my drives... they seem to be nearly 5 years old... really fearful of them failing... do any of you have experience on whether these enterprise drives fail around this time period?

I had one go down (I was in a software RAID 1, so no issues), support very promptly replaced it with a new drive. I wouldn't worry unless your in a RAID 0 or something.

• a minute? heh, i wouldn't want them to block my IP. 30 minutes is just fine :)

Thanks for the heads up about this, would you mind telling me where you looked to determine that the drive had failed? Would come in handy for me to check routinely. Thanks

@Silvenga said:
    I had one go down (I was in a software RAID 1, so no issues), support very promptly replaced it with a new drive. I wouldn't worry unless your in a RAID 0 or something.

• risharde said: Thanks for the heads up about this, would you mind telling me where you looked to determine that the drive had failed? Would come in handy for me to check routinely. Thanks

I use smartd to monitor disk health (automatic checking + email alerts). Most of the time you can see when a drive is about to fail from the SMART status. There's a lot of tutorials that can explain the configuration better than me.

Unfortunately this drive was special - it die spectacularly (it wasn't responding to any kernel commands). Basically, mdadm, my software RAID daemon, emailed me that one of the drives failed and the array was degraded.

Thanks @Silvenga appreciate the info, I will set it up as well

@Silvenga said:
    Unfortunately this drive was special - it die spectacularly (it wasn't responding to any kernel commands). Basically, mdadm, my software RAID daemon, emailed me that one of the drives failed and the array was degraded.