Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dacentec $20 server : back with 100mbps unmetered option - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dacentec $20 server : back with 100mbps unmetered option

Comments

• to everyone who bought a server: how did you manage to setup an OS on those boxes? Did you use the provisioning system and which OS did you install? How long did that take?

• @wych said:
    I had a samba feed running from Dacentec inside a VPN and it streamed 1080p to the UK.

F*** plex, after the hack no way am I signing up to run something off my box.

You can get round that with a little ingenuity.

• dacentecdacentec Member, Host Rep

chrisp said: to everyone who bought a server: how did you manage to setup an OS on those boxes? Did you use the provisioning system and which OS did you install? How long did that take?

Check out some of our user contributed HOWTOs
    http://wiki.dacentec.com/index.php?title=HOWTOS

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@chrisp said:
    to everyone who bought a server: how did you manage to setup an OS on those boxes? Did you use the provisioning system and which OS did you install? How long did that take?

Autoprovision on the client area

• I had a USB Installer and lantronix to get my machines running.

• @Nekki said:
    You can get round that with a little ingenuity.

More than likely, just put me off, although since I got virgin I usually just have a copy of the media locally.

• chrisp said: to everyone who bought a server: how did you manage to setup an OS on those boxes? Did you use the provisioning system and which OS did you install? How long did that take?

They have an autoprovision tool in their control panel, you just select which OS you want to install and then fill out the password and stuff like that, there's also selections that offer RAID 1 and so forth. If you encounter any issues with it just contact support, they are very helpful and were quick to help me out whenever I would do a reinstall of Debian Jessie and it would get stuck.

Dacentec is just straight up awesome especially their support team, would recommend them to anyone.

Thanked by 1vpsGOD

We added an image server for people who like to install by KVM but can't seem to get the images to work from their desktops.

http://wiki.dacentec.com/index.php?title=IP_KVM

Thanked by 2Sady Issam2204
  • @dacentec said:
    We added an image server for people who like to install by KVM but can't seem to get the images to work from their desktops.

Thumbs Up SIR,
    I think every single dedicated provider should do this too.

• Was going to try Dacentec for few of my testing VPS's. But seems like IP blocks are out.

• Got "Supermicro X3440 8GB 2x2TB SATA Rent Only" last night for 25.00. I figured that was a heck of a deal.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • zevuszevus Member
    edited September 2015

just a heads up, but

DELL 2XL5520 36GB 2TB SATA RTO $60

Rent To Own Option
    Rent Only

... if it's going to cost x more for RTO, it should probably say 'Optional RTO' or something similar in title, instead of just RTO

• catalystiumcatalystium Member
    edited September 2015

@Holoshed said:
    Got "Supermicro X3440 8GB 2x2TB SATA Rent Only" last night for 25.00. I figured that was a heck of a deal.

Damn been looking for another one of those, must have missed it on the site

• What is Dacentec ASN?

Thanked by 1hellfire1980
  • @dacentec said:

<3 no more transatlantic uploads!

@sdglhm said:
    Was going to try Dacentec for few of my testing VPS's. But seems like IP blocks are out.

They are obtaining larger ranges.

• @hary said:
    What is Dacentec ASN?

AS31863: http://bgp.he.net/AS31863

• Holoshed said: Got "Supermicro X3440 8GB 2x2TB SATA Rent Only" last night for 25.00. I figured that was a heck of a deal.

I really like mine, and I really like that Dacentec has been a no drama provider.
    Server stays up, HDDs were/almost new, network has been good, and you can do all the normal things without a ticket directly through their panel.
    Two thumbs up for Dacentec :)

Thanked by 1vpsGOD
  • They are back in stock again. Even the X3440

• @dacentec said:

AWESOMENESS!

• @wych said:
    I had a samba feed running from Dacentec inside a VPN and it streamed 1080p to the UK.

F*** plex, after the hack no way am I signing up to run something off my box.

This is exactly why I never used Plex.

Thanked by 1wych
  • Just got a 1381 w/ 2x1TB for $20...now a week later and it's 2x2TB instead. Wish I had known that was coming!

• They are back again :)

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited September 2015

What a pity that they have no Debian templates for new servers. I hate fiddling with IP KVM.
    @dacentec: Any plan to add more templates?

The provisioning system has Debian, but we only offer a few OS options at checkout for support purposes. A lot of folks order a server with Ubuntu, and reprovision with Debian after they get the server.

Installing manually with a KVM is now also easier than ever: http://wiki.dacentec.com/index.php?title=IP_KVM

Thanked by 2netomx Amitz
  • hawchawc Moderator, LIR
    edited September 2015

@Dacentec I ordered tonight. What are delivery ETA's? Also, say I was to change to the unmetered 100mbps option, are you allowed to burst or is it hard capped?

Thanks

Harry

**Update: I speak too soon. As soon as I hit send I get an email from Dacentec saying the server has been delivered. All I need now is the KVMoIP info then I can get in and install Debian and be working with it. GG Dacentec, another happy and repeat customer. ***

• sinsin Member
    edited September 2015

Amitz said: What a pity that they have no Debian templates for new servers.

I just choose a random OS when ordering and then provision Debian Jessie when I get the server info although (not sure if it still does this or not) the Debian Jessie provision needs manual intervention as it will get stuck but if you open a ticket to support they have it fixed within a minute or so.

@sin @Amtiz Just deployed Debian by using their installer. Little tip: Order it with a KVMoIP and you can still use the installer. I sat there and watched my Debian install. You can then assist and nurse it if it needs that.

Thanked by 1sin
  • edited September 2015

The $20 2x2TB one popped up shortly ago and I grabbed it. Setup might be delayed as I asked for an extra drive and manual install, but between installing the basics and moving real tasks to it I'm happy to run some benchmarks on it if people want.

(see my post in this thread for a bit more discussion)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Got mine in about 4 hours since order was complete. Installed Jessie using their installer. It got stuck at "installing boot loader", but I ordered with KVM. So while it was installing and I was having my morning coffee, I assisted the install when it stuck and it completed successfully. So far looks very good and fast. According to SMART hard drives are new. First has 7 Power_On_Hours, second drive has almost 2 months.

Yep, my installer has hung too. Thrown a ticket in for it. If needs be I can do a manual install when I get back this afternoon.