Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dacentec $20 server : back with 100mbps unmetered option - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dacentec $20 server : back with 100mbps unmetered option

Comments

• Yes, their support is quick indeed. Fired a ticket about whois information removal and KVM issue, both are done and I have reinstalled OS from ISO.

• Sent a ticket and they removed my info as well..so a big thanks to Dacentec!

• Hurry up guys! New hot servers if you need any ;)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • hawchawc Moderator, LIR

Question for @Dacentec
    bgp.he.net claims that you have peerings with AS5089 yet traceroutes between the 2 show a combo of Telia and CW. Does this mean Centrilogic/Dacentec are starting to peer in the EU now?

• Darn I want one... keep missing it... :'(

• EphemeralEclipse said: Darn I want one... keep missing it... :'(

Who doesn't, with such great pings to Mountain View. Mountain View, NC, that is. OVH BHS is at least closer to New York.

But still, hats off to Dacentec for providing some of the cheapest dedicated servers in the U.S., wherever they may be located.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited September 2015

There Support seems to be Holidays, i upgraded to 100Mbit unmetered over 12 Hours ago, still can use Gbit. Eh.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @Infinity580 said:
    There Support seems to be Holidays, i upgraded to 100Mbit unmetered over 12 Hours ago, still can use Gbit. Eh.

I think that the 100Mbps unmetered is not capped to 100Mbps and you still have access to a full GigE. @Dacentec ?

• Settled for the $25 :P

• DylanDylan Member
    edited September 2015

@singsing said:
    Who doesn't, with such great pings to Mountain View. Mountain View, NC, that is. OVH BHS is at least closer to New York.

It's funny you say that because one of Google's largest datacenters is also in Lenoir... just a couple miles down the road from Dacentec.

• Dylan said: It's funny you say that because one of Google's largest datacenters is also in Lenoir... just a couple miles down the road from Dacentec.

Maybe they will persuade their users to move there!

Realistically, Google has lots of engineering budget to mask latencies that the rest of us probably don't.

• zevuszevus Member
    edited September 2015

Supermicro 6-bay Opteron 1381 8GB 2X2TB SATA Rent Only 8GB 2x2TB SW $20.00 USD / Monthly

Just got one, but it's still on list.

Supermicro 6-bay Opteron 1381 8GB 2X1TB SATA Rent Only 8GB 2x1TB SW $20.00 USD / Monthly

is there also, presumably will last longer than the first one.

ed: also got some 2xL5520, 2x2TB, 16GB RAM for $40 'RTO', i think that's the first i've seen for under $50. use it to replace my hetzner and cannibalize the HDDs and RAM after a year i guess

• I've dropped a quick review of one of the Opterons at http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/64403/dacentec-20-dedicated-server-a-first-impressions-review if you want to see my opinions so far. I've had the server about a week, I've performed some tests of network latency & bandwidth and transferred copies of some KVM virtual machine images over to play test. tl;dr: up to this point everything seems excellent.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited September 2015

@singsing said:
    Realistically, Google has lots of engineering budget to mask latencies that the rest of us probably don't.
    Maybe they will persuade their users to move there!

You're being silly. The difference in latency from almost anywhere in the northeast US to Dacentec in Lenoir and, to use the most prominent example, AWS in northern Virginia is about 10ms. That's not a meaningful difference for the overwhelming majority of use cases.

• singsingsingsing Member
    edited September 2015

Dylan said: The difference in latency from almost anywhere in the northeast US to Dacentec in Lenoir and, to use the most prominent example, AWS in northern Virginia is about 10ms. That's not a meaningful difference for the overwhelming majority of use cases.

If you only care about NE US, OVH BHS is cheaper (Kimsufi) and greener (Quebec runs on 96% hydropower). Whereas NC still burns a lot of coal and most of the shift has been to natural gas rather than clean energy. OVH BHS is probably as close or closer than Dacentec (not that I've run ping tests myself).

By light speed, there really isn't anything worth reaching that you can reach significantly faster from Dacentec than OVH BHS. Maybe Texas and Florida if those are target markets for you.

• @singsing said:

Don't try to move the goalposts. You're just making yourself look squirrelly.

• Dylan said: Don't try to move the goalposts. You're just making yourself look squirrelly.

Stop evading the issues, you're just making yourself look weasely.

Anyways we need to stop arguing before we both look retarded, so I admit Dacentec wins on performance, price, support and clean energy hands down.

• @telephone said:
    $20 range:

• Server #1 - Supermicro 6-bay Opteron 1381 8GB 2X1TB SATA Rent Only

• Server #2 - Supermicro 6-bay Opteron 1356 8GB 2X2TB SATA Rent Only

Passmark: Opteron 1356 vs Opteron 1381

Hello ms.telephone~
    I think 1381 is better

• @loveminds said:

Sure, but the other has double the disks depending on youir usage.

• edited September 2015

@loveminds said:
    I think 1381 is better

Yes, but depending on what you are using the machine for there isn't a massive amount in it: http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/957/AMD_Third_Generation_Opteron_1356_vs_AMD_Third_Generation_Opteron_1381.html - the 1381 is usually clocked about 8% faster and has about three times L3 cache. Being based on a 0.045 micron design rather than 0.065 probably means it consumes less power both directly and through the need for cooling, but that isn't something you'll notice as they aren't charging for our power consumption.

For a storage oriented server the choice between 1356 and 1381 isn't going to make much difference (probably none at all) but for other tasks the little extra clock speed and chunkier L3 cache might be more significant. If you wait a little and are lucky, boxes with a 1381 and 2x2TB turn up at the $20 point (that is what I've currently got).

Thanked by 1netomx
  • MeAtExampleDotCom said: If you wait a little and are lucky, boxes with a 1381 and 2x2TB turn up at the $20 point (that is what I've currently got).

If you're lucky. But, the rest of the time, it's "made you look, now spend at least $35" (75% more).

• loveminds said: Hello ms.telephone~ I think 1381 is better

The 1356 is the one they release with 100mbit unmetered bandwidth for $20 though.

• I though you could add the 100mbit option for $5/month on any of their servers though?

• @singsing said:
    If you're lucky. But, the rest of the time, it's "made you look, now spend at least $35".

If you desperately want one check more often - they do seem to pop up regularly enough.

Or set a web watcher to drop you an SMS when the page changes to anything containing the text $20?

• MeAtExampleDotCom said: Or set a web watcher to drop you an SMS when the page changes to anything containing the text $20?

Doesn't sound robust. What if they post it as $19.99?

• Then you are fucked. Period.

• dacentecdacentec Member, Host Rep

We usually post on facebook before anywhere else.

• dacentec said: We usually post on facebook before anywhere else.

Does that get you DDoS'ed too?

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • dacentecdacentec Member, Host Rep

Nekki said: Does that get you DDoS'ed too?

No, I think it's just the days where we hit LET. DDoS = Love, i.e. "Better upgrade the RAM in that portal server, we are getting some love from LET today"

• @dacentec said:

Nice way to show your lovvveeee...