Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dacentec $20 server : back with 100mbps unmetered option - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dacentec $20 server : back with 100mbps unmetered option

Comments

• Did you get a public IPv4 address? I seem to have only been assigned a private range (192.168.x.y/30). I've raised a support ticket to query the matter, but I might have missed them for the day if I'm remembering the EST timezone conversion right.

• Actually, I'll run a standard provision and see what that sets up...

• @Dacentec : any more servers with unmetered included?

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

Got my install working and fab. Thanks @Dacentec

• @MeAtExampleDotCom are you sure you are in 192.168.? I got mine 192.254., which could look like private at first sight. But thanks to you I found out, that whois gives out all information about me, name, address... (shocked)

• Cancel that, I was misreading the email and it is 192.198...

Now I've managed to get the machine into a state where it won't even power cycle (the Jessie install hung at detecting network interfaces) so I need to wait for support tomorrow morning anyway.

@tomzu: did you perform a manual install? Did it pick the right network interface by default (mine appeared to have four interfaces of which eth2 was picked by default).

• Do they really put customer information on the IP address?

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • @JoeMerit yes they really do. I was thinking provider usually puts that info when you have a bigger ip range, not /30...

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • Oh, its off my list then. Cya later Dacentec /unsubscribed from thread.

Thanked by 34n0nx rm_ Pwner
  • @JoeMerit said:
    Do they really put customer information on the IP address?

WTF..They do it. I just checked mine. There is my name, last name, my address.

Does this happen also with $1 VPS? If people use it as a VPN server, well be careful.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • @Issam2204 said:
    Does this happen also with $1 VPS? If people use it as a VPN server, well be careful.

At least not with mine. ($1 VPS)
    Just checked it. Would be a real showstopper if they did.

Thanked by 24n0nx Issam2204
  • @MeAtExampleDotCom Well I had problems with Power cycle too, The script on the website does not power cycle when using Chrome browser, atleast for me. The button gets disabled after clicking it and nothing happens. I used developer console to remove that code and then click worked. In Firefox it appears to work without modifying.

I was trying to install couple of times using isos but didnt succeed. When I mount an iso in kvm, the kvm window does not respond to keyboard anymore, funny s*it :)

So I used provision and then it stucks at installing boot loader. After choosing hdd for loader everything goes well. As for network interfaces, it's eth0.

• Issam2204 said: WTF..They do it. I just checked mine. There is my name, last name, my address.

XD! So glad I didn't get one of the $20 servers now..

• Issam2204Issam2204 Member
    edited September 2015

@4n0nx said:

XD! So glad I didn't get one of the $20 servers now..

Fortunately, I'm in my 6th day. They have a 7 days no questions asked refund policy.

So sad about it. It is one of those 100 Mbps unmetered 4TB.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • That really depends on what you were planning to do with it. As I only do legit stuff, It's fine with me I guess, well not that I'm really happy about it...

Thanked by 1netomx
  • tomzu said: That really depends on what you were planning to do with it. As I only do legit stuff, It's fine with me I guess, well not that I'm really happy about it...

no need for everyone to know that it's me who runs a dragon dildo shop

• @Issam2204 said:
    WTF..They do it. I just checked mine. There is my name, last name, my address.

On another company that did the same, I just entered my "business info" (inaccurately) on the panel and asked to use that for the ip info. Problem solved.

Thanked by 2Issam2204 4n0nx
  • @deadbeef said:
    On another company that did the same, I just entered my "business info" (inaccurately) on the panel and asked to use that for the ip info. Problem solved.

Yeah, but will they believe that I "inaccurately" wrote John the first time instead of Michael? XD

• @Issam2204 said:

That panel had an extra space for business info (apart from your personal).

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • @deadbeef said:

Unfortunately that is not the case :(

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • @Issam2204 said:

Perhaps they have no problem changing it for you to something private since they have your real info anyway - no cost in asking :)

Thanked by 2Issam2204 4n0nx
  • @deadbeef said:
    Perhaps they have no problem changing it for you to something private since they have your real info anyway - no cost in asking :)

Thank you for the help deadbeef :) I already sent me a ticket to clear the situation :D

Thanked by 2deadbeef 4n0nx
  • @Issam2204 Let us know when you've got an answer, please :)

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • @tomzu said:
    Issam2204 Let us know when you've got an answer, please :)

Sure!

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • You can go to http://arin.net and create a POC ID and then an ORG ID and then give the company the information to SWIP it to. I do this often when companies need to SWIP ip addresses. Some fail to do it, Dacentec just does what it is supposed to do. I don't care if anyone wants to look me up HAWKS4-ARIN

• SWIP

Isn't that a good way to justify IP usage? I bet is also reduces abuse a little.

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited September 2015

If you ask them in a ticket they will change the IP whois info to their own, they swip by default but are willing to change it to their own if you ask. I had this done on a /29 a while back.

Thanked by 2Amitz deadbeef
  • @tomzu: yep, the power problem was due to Chrome not liking that part of the control panel. I've having hassle getting an ISO to mount now (though that worked earlier). I'm obviously having one of my "thick" days. The response from support has been good thus far though, so definite points in their favour there.

• The problem with the KVM is all sorted and I now have the base OS setup to my liking ready for some testing before the machine takes on its new rolls. I must say that the support people have been very quick to respond: far better than I would expect at this price.

• Awesome support of Dacentec.
    Just write a support ticket to remove your information from the whois record.

6 minutes later ticket answered.

We have removed your information

Simple and fast :)

Thanked by 2tomzu Amitz