Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unofficial LET introduction thread! - Page 31
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Unofficial LET introduction thread!

Comments

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

lacaca said: Hailing from the land of fried chicken, USA

Hi TAZ! It's good to meet you. Don't mention fried chicken to me! I miss it so much (I'm an American living in Germany), and I can only get KFC over here. 😢 I came very close to ordering a cast iron skillet to make some the other day because my mom mentioned on the phone that she was making a batch and then I couldn't stop thinking of it. --Katie

Thanked by 2eol MikePT
  • Hetzner_OL said: I can only get KFC over here.

Sorry that is not fried chicken that's fried bork. Makes me want to puke thinking about it.

• eoleol Member

DIY?

AuroraZ said: Sorry that is not fried chicken that's fried bork. Makes me want to puke thinking about it.

Exactly my sentiments. That's why I was thinking of going DIY and getting a cast iron skillet. My Southern grandmother is probably rolling in her grave that I don't have one already. That, and cast irons are better for making cornbread, too, which I've also done a few times myself since moving here. --Katie

Thanked by 1eol
  • @Hetzner_OL said:

AuroraZ said: Sorry that is not fried chicken that's fried bork. Makes me want to puke thinking about it.

Exactly my sentiments. That's why I was thinking of going DIY and getting a cast iron skillet. My Southern grandmother is probably rolling in her grave that I don't have one already. That, and cast irons are better for making cornbread, too, which I've also done a few times myself since moving here. --Katie

I hear you my wife is from Tennessee and some of this crap they try to pass off as food makes her want to vomit as bad as me. I bet your Grandma is spitting nails you even mentioned KFC and fried chicken in the same sentence.

I have to make cornbread from scratch, because they put sugar in mixes here and it makes it taste like puke.

mfs said: Found your official channel, too bad it's German-only

Since I'm not active on the IRC channel, I showed your comment to someoneat Hetzner who is. He assures me that the channel very clearly states "Dies is KEIN offizieller Supportchannel von www.hetzner.de. -- Supportanfragen bitte auf jedem Fall per Telefon (0911-2342260) oder Mail ([email protected]) and die eigentliche Firma senden!" = "This is not an official support channel for www.hetzner.de. -- For support requests, please contact the company directly via telephone (+49 911 2342260) or email ([email protected])." [We've since changed from from .de to .com. And I edited the telephone number in my translation to make it easier for international customers to dial.]

He says that the conversations in IRC are pretty mixed in English and German. However, as I said before, I don't currently monitor it on behalf of the company. --Katie

Thanked by 1mfs

AuroraZ said: because they put sugar in mixes here

Where are you, @AuroraZ?

I prefer making cornbread from scratch, too, even when I'm in the US. I like to save the bacon drippings from breakfast and make the cornbread in the same pan later that day. (Also without sugar.) However, when I eat it, I sometimes spread honey-butter on it. The "recipe" changes depending on whatever fixings/leftovers are in the fridge, for example a few pieces of sausage left over from breakfast, an onion, etc. This might be sacrilege to some people, but I hate throwing out food.

You all have got me really hungry for lunch now. ;) --Katie

Thanked by 3eol uptime Janevski
  • Hetzner_OL said: That's great to hear! To be quite honest, I had never heard of IRC before I read that particular XKCD comic. (I honestly am a bit ashamed to admit how much I have learned from XKCD.) I'm glad you found us!

@Hetzner_OL said:

@snorlax said:
    @Hetzner_OL Hello! IRC of LET is as cold as it can be. I mean at first I heard u from #archlinux IRC Channel, they said your reputation is really good while the price is awesome compared to my previously used Linode. You are popular in the channel as well as LET. So I think you are my go-to for my mail server.

That's great to hear! To be quite honest, I had never heard of IRC before I read that particular XKCD comic. (I honestly am a bit ashamed to admit how much I have learned from XKCD.) I'm glad you found us!

And I wonder whether I will start with a better reputation with your Server Auction. When it comes to IP reputation for mail sending, is Hetzner Server Auction better than Hetzner Cloud?

Hmm.. I am going to ask my colleague about that particular questions, since I've never heard it before and I'll get back to you with an answer.

Also, a pity that I arrive at Hetzner too late to obtain an EX-LINE SERVERS when it's free on setup fee. They seem better deals than Server Auction.

For non-auction servers, you can go to our server finder and then check the box on the left hand side that says "Setup: from € 0.00". The servers that have no setup fees can change from month to month, but there is usually at least one. You can also try checking on the Hetzner Discussion Forum to see if anyone is trying to offload a server in the "Marktplatz" (Under "Community") and may be willing to transfer it so you don't have to pay the setup fee. --Katie, Marketing

Any answers about that question?

• mfsmfs Banned, Member

snorlax said: about that question?

She re-addressed that question of yours in a later reply, here

• @Hetzner_OL

All this, and you can cook, too? There's no harm in leftovers- it shows versatility more than thriftiness. But, look where you are.

I'd be happy to get some infamous (in our tiny town) chicken to send over to you, but I don't think it'd be very fresh by the time it got there. Probably freeze-dried before it even got out of the city.

• @Hetzner_OL I am in the "great" state of Michigan. It is not bad, but we have like no tech that's worth a damned.

I hear you I hate throwing out food as well. I don't mind honey/butter on cornbread, but cooking it into it nah not for me. This is the kind of cooking I grew up with and miss a lot sometimes.

Thanked by 2hostdare skorous

@Letzien Aww, that's sweet of you. :) My mom still sends me care packages now and then. Got a box full of Christmas cookies that I'm still working on.

@AuroraZ Yeah, it's crazy how much of our memories/traditions can be tied up with food, and then feelings of homesickness/nostalgia as well.

In many ways, I'm becoming more and more "German". For example, on weeknights, I usually don't cook. I have some raw veggies and fruit, cheese and cold cuts, and a roll or two. It's quick, healthy, and easy. It took me some time to get used to it. So on the weekends when I cook, it feels less like a chore and more like something fun.

There must be some things about Michigan you like... like the cheese...? --Katie, Marketing

Thanked by 1eol
  • @Hetzner_OL said:
    @Letzien Aww, that's sweet of you. :) My mom still sends me care packages now and then. Got a box full of Christmas cookies that I'm still working on.

@AuroraZ Yeah, it's crazy how much of our memories/traditions can be tied up with food, and then feelings of homesickness/nostalgia as well.

In many ways, I'm becoming more and more "German". For example, on weeknights, I usually don't cook. I have some raw veggies and fruit, cheese and cold cuts, and a roll or two. It's quick, healthy, and easy. It took me some time to get used to it. So on the weekends when I cook, it feels less like a chore and more like something fun.

There must be some things about Michigan you like... like the cheese...? --Katie, Marketing

Cheese is Wisconsin hon. They are the cheese heads over there across the lake. Michigan used be the car capital of the U.S., but most have moved out to cheaper places. They have headquarters here, but do not build a lot anymore.

We have great cherries up north in season and peaches grow well near the lake. More and more Pot dispensaries are popping up all the time. Even Motown is dead anymore, so we do not have much to be proud of thanks to a governor we had a bit back and this one thinks water should be flammable or some crap.

Sorry about cheese comment. I really couldn't think of any specific foods that I would associate with Michigan. I never would have thought of cherries or peaches. I'm sorry that Michigan's gone through such a rough time in the last several decades. I always tend to think of Detroit and its problems when I think of the state. I'm guessing from your comment that your town as similar water issues as Flint..? --Katie

• @Hetzner_OL said:
    Sorry about cheese comment. I really couldn't think of any specific foods that I would associate with Michigan. I never would have thought of cherries or peaches. I'm sorry that Michigan's gone through such a rough time in the last several decades. I always tend to think of Detroit and its problems when I think of the state. I'm guessing from your comment that your town as similar water issues as Flint..? --Katie

Nah and you are all good hon. I am just saying Flint and Detroit do not make up this state. They are the ones the newspapers seem to feature though.

See when the automakers moved it effected all of this state not just cities. We are trying to rebuild but it slow and painful for now. They are trying to attract some tech companies and things to rebuild, and are working on compensating for the loss.

The water comment was a dig at our governor lol. We have well water here and it is good water.

I did not mean to make you think you said anything wrong because you have not. I apologize and hope I did not offend you.

@AuroraZ I remember what it's like to live in a state that seems to always be in the news for negative stuff since I've lived in South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida. But I felt ever so slightly better a few weeks ago when I saw this segment on /The Daily Show/.
    If we're being honest, every state has some things they should be really proud of and ashamed of.

Pointing out an error in a super-polite way is not offensive. I think maybe you and some LETers have been a bit careful ever since a certain thread was removed a few weeks ago, but I appreciate the gesture. :)
    --Katie

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @Hetzner_OL said:
    @AuroraZ I remember what it's like to live in a state that seems to always be in the news for negative stuff since I've lived in South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida. But I felt ever so slightly better a few weeks ago when I saw this segment on /The Daily Show/.
    If we're being honest, every state has some things they should be really proud of and ashamed of.

Pointing out an error in a super-polite way is not offensive. I think maybe you and some LETers have been a bit careful ever since a certain thread was removed a few weeks ago, but I appreciate the gesture. :)
    --Katie

I was out line back then, I apologize to you for that. I would blame alcohol in exorbitant amounts, but I still bear the blame.

AuroraZ said: I was out line back then, I apologize to you for that. I would blame alcohol in exorbitant amounts, but I still bear the blame.

Thanks, I appreciate that. :) --Katie

• johnxenspecjohnxenspec Member, Host Rep

Hey Everyone,
    My name's John. I'm a student from Chicago.
    As a kid my parents made me use Vista. A month later their computer was running Ubuntu 10.10.

• johnxenspec said: A month later their computer was running Ubuntu 10.10

Welcome, I like you already!

• ntupntup Member

Hello. My name is Vitalii, and im from Ukraine!

• donlidonli Member

@johnxenspec said:
    Hey Everyone,
    My name's John. I'm a student from Chicago.
    As a kid my parents made me use Vista. A month later their computer was running Ubuntu 10.10.

Did the police ever find their bodies?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Well, at least his parents were merciful enough not to let him play games on Mac.

• donlidonli Member

@ntup said:
    Hello. My name is Vitalii, and im from Ukraine!

Hello Vitalii. Good to hear that there still is a Ukraine.

• johnxenspecjohnxenspec Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2019

@deank said:
    Well, at least his parents were merciful enough not to let him play games on Mac.

I'm glad I didn't play Mac games.

• willKwillK Member

Greetings, fellow LET comrades! This is comrade Will from Soviet China

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @willK said:
    Greetings, fellow LET comrades! This is comrade Will from Soviet China

In Soviet China, hosting companies chargeback you.

• Hello I'm Hassam recently joined...
    I am new to this but I learn fast

• MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

This is shoss.

Always wanted to be on LET and now I am here.

• LET newbie, Unix greybeard, Nerd under the stairs