Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Datashack is getting some stock back on cheap dedicated servers - Page 22
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Datashack is getting some stock back on cheap dedicated servers

Comments

• @zhuanyi said: Oh, I have never seen that kind of situation, guess I am really lucky then.

Takes support a while to fix it. Tons of fun.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

The IP wouldn't even ping when it locked up.

• earlearl Member
    edited July 2012

Yeah I've had that too with iLO.. sometimes the connection times out so you can't even get the login screen.. actually iLO is suppose to be pretty good compared to Dell's Drac, not sure how true that is but I hear Dells remote console is a nightmare compared to HP.

The free Dedi I got from OVH also has KVM.. so far it seems to work a lot better but unfortunately you don't get access to the bios.

• @earl said: actually iLO is suppose to be pretty good compared to Dell's Drac, not sure how true that is but I hear Dells remote console is a nightmare compared to HP.

idk I mean iLO definitely has more functions than Dell's Drac but I've fixed a few problems using the Drac myself.

• earlearl Member

@HalfEatenPie said: idk I mean iLO definitely has more functions than Dell's Drac

So you have a Dell form Datashack as well?

• No its another one of my dedicated servers

Thanked by 1earl

@AsadHaider said: Yeah, there is a special ESXi ISO for HP servers, I've got a HP Proliant at home which I use for ESXI dev.

@zhuanyi Install this: https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=HPVM09

I'm confused. I can't find the actual download there. Five more minutes on HP's website and I'm going to lose my mind.

• @jarland said: I'm confused. I can't find the actual download there. Five more minutes on HP's website and I'm going to lose my mind.

I just downloaded the 2.09 version and extracted it using 7-zip.

Got the .bin file

edited July 2012

@HalfEatenPie said: I just downloaded the 2.09 version and extracted it using 7-zip.

Trying to get the ESXi ISO that is custom for HP. I think I finally found it, and after signing up for the website I get this:

Sorry, we are unable to process your request. Our system is experiencing some difficulties. Please try again later.

I'm on about 26 hours now of trying to successfully install something other than Ubuntu 12.04 on this thing via iLO. Everything hates either the upload while booting or the RAID controller. I finally managed Debian 6, was going to install Proxmox on top of it but it killed the networking and suddenly the system isn't accepting network configuration in a standard Debian fashion, and I see no documentation about the Proxmox kernel altering how the system takes networking config.

Add in a persistent internet outage and 3G overage charges and I'm about to rip my hair out ;)

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited July 2012

People, download the .scexe and do it via your OS, is easier IMHO.

@jarland said: the Proxmox kernel altering how the system takes networking config.

Do you installed the proxmox firmware package? Because without it you don't have LAN.

I just went down the list from the wiki, never installed it on top of squeeze before.

• @jarland said: I'm confused. I can't find the actual download there. Five more minutes on HP's website and I'm going to lose my mind.

Here is the link to the HP Passport page, you need to sign up for a free account:

https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/try.do?productNumber=HPVM09

• ServerSharpServerSharp Member, Host Rep

When DS get some of the specials back in (SAS $35), might ask them if I can change to that package

• @dominicl said: When DS get some of the specials back in (SAS $35), might ask them if I can change to that package

I believe one of the post above said they don't know when it will come back online.

How's your experience with the $49 dedi?

• yomeroyomero Member

@jarland said: I just went down the list from the wiki, never installed it on top of squeeze before.

So, now try to reach from iLO and install it.

I prefer to use windows for this stuff n_n

• ServerSharpServerSharp Member, Host Rep

@zhuanyi said: How's your experience with the $49 dedi?

It seems pretty good although there seems to be an IP routing issue which they can't fix on weekends

@yomero said: So, now try to reach from iLO and install it.

I prefer to use windows for this stuff n_n

What was the name of the firmware package? Yeah I'm using a Windows VPS from VPS6. The gigabit port is making this all a lot easier.

• PatsPats Member

@jarland said: Debian 6, was going to install Proxmox on top of it but it killed the networking

i also had the issue... told support the issue.. and they installed Debian 6 64bit for me....
    after that i topped it with Proxmox :)

• yomeroyomero Member

@jarland said: What was the name of the firmware package?

pve-firmware

The kernel as is, suffers the same problem like the stock debian.

• PatsPats Member

@HalfEatenPie said: he ordered the xeon 50 dollar special

where got this? link?

@yomero said: pve-firmware

Thank you kind sir. Cool system, but by no means normal...

• @Pats said: where got this? link?

Look on their site in the "special" area

• @jarland: You know, CentOS installed beautifully for me..

Also, try the trial iLO serial and mount the ISOs directly from the iLO console. It saves lots of time.

• yomeroyomero Member

@ihatetonyy said: try the trial iLO serial and mount the ISOs directly from the iLO console

I wanted but... when the trial ends? u_u

• AsadAsad Member

@yomero 60 days.

• yomeroyomero Member

@AsadHaider said: 60 days.

I mean, what will I do when the trial ends...

• AsadAsad Member

@yomero The media manager still works after the trail ends right? Just mount stuff that way and use the Java/IE console thingy.

I mount stuff on a gigabit windows vps through rdp, and then access the java console on my pc. Works great.

• @Pats said: where got this? link?

@HalfEatenPie said: Look on their site in the "special" area

This is better than the "special" area plans ,cos it`s 8G MEM

Dual Opteron 2216 (4 cores)
    4 Cores / 4 Threads
    2.4Ghz - 2 Processors
    8GB ECC RAM
    500GB Hard Drive
    10TB Transfer on 1Gbit Port
    Any Linux Distribution
    Free DirectAdmin for Linux
    5 Usable IPv4 IP addresses
    Unmanaged
    Server Grade, HP Hardware

$0 Setup / $49 per month
    $0 Setup / $245 per 6 months
    $0 Setup / $490 per year

http://www.datashack.net/cart/?id=150

• yomeroyomero Member

@ynzheng said: This is better than the "special" area plans ,cos it`s 8G MEM

Well, in some way probably the disk isn't connected to the crappy HP E200 controller, and perform better. Taht is the only difference versus getting the 35 plan plus another HDD and 8GB.

Where do you got this? WHT?

@AsadHaider said: The media manager still works after the trail ends right?

I don't know, I am asking that xD
    So, if I can do it via the IE/Java thing, I don't see the purpose on use the trial key...

• AsadAsad Member

@yomero It should go back to the way it was before, so if you can do it now then it'll work after the trial ends right? :P