Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Datashack is getting some stock back on cheap dedicated servers - Page 21
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Datashack is getting some stock back on cheap dedicated servers

Comments

• yomeroyomero Member

@dominicl said: Who thinks I should get the Phenom deal @ $49 tomorrow?

I like it, but maybe the single disk isn't what you want.

• ServerSharpServerSharp Member, Host Rep

@yomero said: I like it, but maybe the single disk isn't what you want.

Single disk doesn't bother me.

• PatsPats Member

@yomero said: Yes, I had 2009 and 2007 in the backup. The upgrade moved me to 2011(2010?) primary and 2009 to the backup

i did that ROMPAQ again... now its A13 05/02/2011; backup system ROM: 05/02/2011
    :)

• ztecztec Member
    edited July 2012

Getting around 70MB/s - very nice for the price.
    (connection speed)

• yomeroyomero Member

@Pats said: i did that ROMPAQ again... now its A13 05/02/2011; backup system ROM: 05/02/2011

:)

Which I don't like.
    If for some reason the new bios is buggy or sth, we can try to boot in the 2009 one... well.

Meh...
    Ordered one to see what these guys are really like. Now to wait a few days...

well I got a stupid link saying that my order is being processed. interesting..

• PatsPats Member

@yomero said: If for some reason the new bios is buggy or sth

so far its good, don't see noticeable difference from previous bios...
    hope it stays like this.. otherwise have to get old rum.paq

• wahyanwahyan Member

@dominicl said: Ordered one

which model are you ordering?

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited July 2012

@wahyan: he ordered the xeon 50 dollar special

@wahyan said: which model are you ordering?

Phenom special

Am I just lucky?

root@debian:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync; unlink test
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 8.96902 s, 120 MB/s

• not bad.

• earlearl Member
    edited July 2012

@dominicl said: Am I just lucky?

Pretty good for just one drive..

I signed up for the trial OVH dedi, I was reluctant at first cause it's only for a month but was really curious about their control panel, I get 2x 1TB in Raid 1 @ around 150 MB/s.. wish I could change to Raid 0 but there does not seems to be the option in the manager.

Could always ask them if it's possible to change it, but their support isn't fantastic!

• earlearl Member

@dominicl said: Could always ask them if it's possible to change it

Yeah not going to bother with support.. I did try software raid 0 in Debian but my results were horrible.. under 40MB/s must have done something wrong

edited July 2012

@earl said: Yeah not going to bother with support.

Support is hit or miss. I got a great guy the first time, I exchanged probably like 50 e-mails with him (he took care of every single problem I had), and then the new guy I have isn't responding, is being difficult to communicate with, isn't answering all my questions, etc.

• rds100rds100 Member

If you have so many questions that you need to exchange 50 emails with the support, you are either doing something wrong or not using the right service for you.

edited July 2012

@rds100 said: If you have so many questions that you need to exchange 50 emails with the support, you are either doing something wrong or not using the right service for you.

Ok not actually 50 but 37. First couple was about raid and OS (Hey we have your hard drive added, what raid do you want?. I want Raid 1. Ok putting it in now, what OS do you want on it? etc.) , and then setting up iLO. Then, it turns out idling with iLO up "locking" it up and they had to fix that. Then switching out hard drives to newer ones (for better I/O), then they ended up switching me to a totally new box (with reinstalling iLO e-mails). Then thanking them for their help.

that was basically what all 37 e-mails were. I don't see that as unreasonable.

• earlearl Member

@HalfEatenPie

Actually I meant I was not going to bother asking support from OVH cause after all it's a free dedi, so I'm not going to bother them regarding the Raid 0. My dedi with Datashack is working fine no issues at all..

• @earl: Oh my bad yeah... I hear ya

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Damn, that ILO is working really shitty on my side. How do you even enter the RAID setup?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Alex_LiquidHost said: Damn, that ILO is working really shitty on my side. How do you even enter the RAID setup?

On reboot press F8 when it gives you the option to. It'll give you an F8 option to configure two different things if I recall, wait until after it says something about the RAID controller.

• yomeroyomero Member

The ilo thing is a little crappy. Continuosly locks and works slowly. Yesterday I was playing with my bridges and get locked :P Then the ilo didn't worked :S
    So, I used SSH to login and reset it...

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@yomero said: So, I used SSH to login and reset it...

Lucky. Mine locked up yesterday right after reconfiguring the RAID, then it took them about 5 hours to reset it. Not too bad I guess, considering I didn't call it an emergency and it certainly wasn't. Next week it may be ;)

• What do you mean by locked up? Do you have the admin rights? You should set it in the iLO2 settings when you boot up the system....

@jarland said: Mine locked up yesterday right after reconfiguring the RAID,

• @zhuanyi said: You should set it in the iLO2 settings when you boot up the system....

He means iLO. And you can't access iLO once it locks up. The techs told me its if you leave it idle for a while.

• @HalfEatenPie said: He means iLO. And you can't access iLO once it locks up. The techs told me its if you leave it idle for a while.

What exactly is the "locked up"? Type in password for too many times or the iLO is used by another user?

If iLO is used by another user, you can always use "acquire" to get it back right?

edited July 2012

@zhuanyi said: What exactly is the "locked up"?

it stops responding.

Locked up.

You try to get into iLO screen and nothing shows up (just the "cannot be connected" page). Its not about another user using your account or your previous session being still regarded "active".

• @HalfEatenPie said: it stops responding.

Oh, I have never seen that kind of situation, guess I am really lucky then.