Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Datashack is getting some stock back on cheap dedicated servers - Page 18
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Datashack is getting some stock back on cheap dedicated servers

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2012

26mb/s...I don't know. Reboot and try again. Try r/w at 0/100 or 50/50 again. This raid controller defies logic. I'm about out of ideas, you may be a good candidate for a drive replacement.

• @jarland said: 26mb/s...I don't know. Reboot and try again. Try r/w at 0/100 or 50/50 again. This raid controller defies logic. I'm about out of ideas, you may be a good candidate for a drive replacement.

They have done that once already, lost all my data along the way even though it is a RAID 1 LOL...

This is already the third time this week I am installing/building everything from scratch haha

• @yomero said: Well, better than nothing.

I prefer separated drives, and mantain backups manually

Ya, I know RAID 0 would probably give me better I/O, but I never thought RAID 1 would be this bad...hopefully this is at least usable...

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I almost think having them remove the raid controller and going software raid would be more effective. Let's face it, none of us are using these for insanely mission critical work.

• @jarland said: I almost think having them remove the raid controller and going software raid would be more effective. Let's face it, none of us are using these for insanely mission critical work.

Mmm...I think there is some configuration issue there as well, but I am not sure which settings to tweak, and gosh, it took me an hour just to boot up that RAID configuration utility ISO, which is soooo slow...

• earlearl Member
    edited July 2012

@zhuanyi said: and this is after setting the read/write to 100/0

did you also enable write cache?

I also changed the stripe size from 128k to 32k seems to be stable at around 117MB/s I tried 256k and got around 107/MB/s so maybe smaller is faster?

• @earl said: did you also enable write cache?

I am not sure, the ISO lead me to a graphical interface so I just slide the slider to the far right.

@earl said: I also changed the stripe size from 128k to 32k seems to be stable at around 117MB/s I tried 256k and got around 107/MB/s so maybe smaller is faster?

Guess I'll try that as well.

• earlearl Member
    edited July 2012

@zhuanyi said: Guess I'll try that as well.

if you do it will take a bit over an hour for it to rebuild the array.. just a warning!! not sure it's worth it

@zhuanyi said: I am not sure, the ISO lead me to a graphical interface so I just slide the slider to the far right.

you need to look for something like write cache there will be a dropdown box with two option for enable / disable.. I think it's under the heading of "physical drive write cache setting"

but for sure the best setting for cache ratio is 100/0 read/write. I tried 75/25, 0/100 and got about 65MB/s so pretty much doubled the speed..

• @earl said: but for sure the best setting for cache ratio is 100/0 read/write. I tried 75/25, 0/100 and got about 65MB/s so pretty much doubled the speed..

Actually that 26.2 is the speed I got after setting the RAID to 100/0...Are you using RAID 1 as well?

• earlearl Member

I'm using Raid 0

• @earl said: I'm using Raid 0

I see, RAID 0 is fast...and I am actually thinking of reinstalling this server for the 5th time in a week to get RAID 0 as well...when you run Windows, the disk speed is just unbearable slow...

• @earl said: I'm using Raid 0

Would I be able to switch RAID 1 to RAID 0 using the configuration utility ISO?

• earlearl Member

I saw another member got around 80MB/s with just one drive no Raid enabled.. maybe you could try that.. I installed windows XP in vmware and it's pretty quick when I RDP..

• @earl said: I saw another member got around 80MB/s with just one drive no Raid enabled.. maybe you could try that.. I installed windows XP in vmware and it's pretty quick when I RDP..

How many did you run? I had 2 Windows 2008 R2 and 2 Debian boxes running, it was soooo slow

• earlearl Member

1xp, 1Debian, 1Centos..

• dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited July 2012

I get around 72MB/s (typical dd test) and ~1000 IOPS (ioping . -DR) with the deadline IO scheduler and software RAID 1.

• earlearl Member
    edited July 2012

@dmmcintyre3 said: I get around 72MB/s (typical dd test)

yeah that should be about right.. something is wrong if your getting 26.2MB/s

• yomeroyomero Member
    $ ./ioping . -DR
    13355 requests completed in 3000.1 ms, 6563 iops, 25.6 mb/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 0.1/0.2/7.9/0.1 ms

Single disk, 6k iops o_O
    How is that?
    And the same in the other disk.

• @rm_ said: as soon as you approach $50 this comes out http://www.hetzner.de/page_us.htm and absolutely slaughters everything in sight.

the problem is only one IP?

can we order more ips with this deal?

• @ynzheng said: can we order more ips with this deal?

Yeah, with FlexiPack for 15€/mo, then paying for IPs on top of that.

• earlearl Member
    edited July 2012

@ihatetonyy said: Yeah, with FlexiPack for 15€/mo, then paying for IPs on top of that.

That would be an additional $25/month for 6 IP's!!

Thanked by 1yomero
  • yomeroyomero Member

@earl said: That would be an additional $25/month for 6 IP's!!

Plus the KVM over IP if you want...
    Or if you want another disk for raid, add the disk price plus the raid controller...
    ffs...

Thanked by 1earl
  • earlearl Member

Hmm.. $25 for 6 IP's at Hetzner or pay an extra $4 and get a whole server at Datashack!! not sure how often they restock their $29 server, but seems to be a better deal.. and KVM is included FREE!!

• so I have deleted my RAID, and using RAID 0 now with stripe size set to 32kb (I was tempted to go 8kb but I guess I'll be on the safe side first), now I have a 240GB hard drive, Yay!

I am installing Debian and Windows this morning at home (no Esxi access at work unfortunately), I'll report back with the results from DD once I finish the installation process when I get back home tonight.

• earlearl Member

@zhuanyi said: stripe size set to 32kb

I just changed mine to 64k to be honest I don't really notice a difference if your setting is 32k - 128k I think the default 128k is fine.. it took almost two hours changing the strip size from 32k to 64k not sure why..

actually you should have tried the drive without Raid, maybe one of the drive is going bad that's why your results is so low!!

• @earl said: actually you should have tried the drive without Raid, maybe one of the drive is going bad that's why your results is so low!!

I was hoping they have at least 2 good drives for me after they replaced both hard drives :)

• Wolf95Wolf95 Member

With the Dual AMD 2216's, (2x 146GB SAS HDD's in RAID-1) I got the following bench:

CPU model : Dual-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2216 HE
    Number of cores : 4
    CPU frequency : 1000.000 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 3954 MB
    Total amount of swap : 6000 MB
    System uptime : 1 day, 20:35,
    Download speed : (62.2MB/s)
    I/O speed : 61.7MB/s

• going home, time to see how my RAID 0 is doing :)

• It is a sad day in my life...

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 60.0685 s, 17.9 MB/s

With RAID 0 and stripe size to 32kb and Read/Write set to 100/0

• OUCH! Is that consistent or just a fluke?