Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Datashack is getting some stock back on cheap dedicated servers - Page 19
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Datashack is getting some stock back on cheap dedicated servers

Comments

• TazTaz Member

Loooioooooooool

• TaylorTaylor Member

So from this thread it looks like its much better value to just get a vps :P

• Or you can get shared hosting and you don't even have to know Linux :)

The whole purpose of getting this dedi is to torture myself in a sense I guess :) And in the process of torturing, hopefully I learn something along the way, just like when I got my first VPS from HostRail long time ago :)

@Taylor said: So from this thread it looks like its much better value to just get a vps :P

• yomeroyomero Member

@zhuanyi said: It is a sad day in my life...

Well, then I moved to single drives :D

• @Taylor said: So from this thread it looks like its much better value to just get a vps

It's great if you need to do CPU or disk intensive stuff on the cheap without enraging any providers in the process.. though one may need to tweak the disks a bit to behave.

And 10TB on Gbit isn't bad either.

• @yomero said: Well, then I moved to single drives :D

How did you do that? Tell them to physically remove your RAID card?

• dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 22.5186 s, 47.7 MB/s

RAID 1 with Proxmox installed, default settings...I am not sure if VMWare is actually doing something nasty...

• TazTaz Member

What is your chunk size?

• I don't know, I can't find the chunck size option in the array configuration for RAID 1, only in RAID 0

• Anyways, here is another test after changing the options to 100/0 for READ/Write:

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 17.0814 s, 62.9 MB/s

I am happy now I guess, Proxmox is the way to go!

• yomeroyomero Member

@zhuanyi said: How did you do that? Tell them to physically remove your RAID card?

No
    F8 on the boot. Destroy the logical drive, and create two logical drives, one for each disk :P

• @yomero said: F8 on the boot. Destroy the logical drive, and create two logical drives, one for each disk :P

Ha, I always got to the iLO control panel every time I hit F8 at boot, but I realized that I just had to wait until the RAID thing comes up at boot and hit F8.

I guess you chose RAID 0 for each one of those logical drives? Which does not really make sense, but I guess that means no RAID?

• AsadAsad Member

So.. what can I do with this server? :P I've been too busy the last week to do anything with it.

• wahyanwahyan Member

May I know if the server is on 1Gbit Port or 100 Mbps for the 10TB ?? Thanks

• earlearl Member

@wahyan said: May I know if the server is on 1Gbit Port or 100 Mbps for the 10TB ?? Thanks

Cachefly is around 65MB/s so about 520 Mbps..

• yomeroyomero Member

@zhuanyi said: I guess you chose RAID 0 for each one of those logical drives? Which does not really make sense, but I guess that means no RAID?

Yeah... a one drive raid 0.... o_O

• @yomero said: Yeah... a one drive raid 0.... o_O

But when you install Proxmox, did you just install it on one drive or you installed it on both?

• PatsPats Member
    edited July 2012

had read s'where... for u guys to up the purrrformance.. :)

Use readahead to populate the kernel disk cache (increase boot speed)

# apt-get install readahead
    # touch /.readahead_collect
    # reboot

• @wahyan said: May I know if the server is on 1Gbit Port or 100 Mbps for the 10TB ??

I asked for an upgrade to 1Gbps before they provisioned the server.

• wahyanwahyan Member

@ihatetonyy said: asked for an upgrade

need additional fee or free?

• yomeroyomero Member

@zhuanyi said: But when you install Proxmox, did you just install it on one drive or you installed it on both?

o_O!?
    Of course just one.

Then you can assign custom folders for... isos, vzdumps, images, backups, etc.

• @yomero said: Then you can assign custom folders for... isos, vzdumps, images, backups, etc.

Ohh...didn't know you can do that. I will give it a shot when I am home :)

• PatsPats Member

@wahyan said: need additional fee or free?

should be $50/mo - Bandwidth 100Mbit Unmetered $50.00

• earlearl Member
    edited July 2012

Just installed proxmox in vmware.. work's pretty good!! Tried this with virtualbox but could not get it to install..

From a Debian OVZ in Proxmox:

dd if=/dev/zero of=iotest bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync && rm -fr iotest
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 12.5537 s, 85.5 MB/s

• JacobJacob Member

I don't recommend using DataShack at all anymore, I have lost all faith in them, Russ Roberts changed 2 hard drives at a time in one of our nodes RAID 10 Array's, Causing a RAID crash and for a kernel panic.

The only real techs are Bob and Adam, The fact that they also are providing minimalistic support and I have to open a ticket to get a reply to my existing ticket, This is not acceptable.

I had it good for to long.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@Jacob said: I don't recommend using DataShack at all anymore, I have lost all faith in them, Russ Roberts changed 2 hard drives at a time in one of our nodes RAID 10 Array's, Causing a RAID crash and for a kernel panic.

The only real techs are Bob and Adam, The fact that they also are providing minimalistic support and I have to open a ticket to get a reply to my existing ticket, This is not acceptable.

I had it good for to long.

Well, for the 45$ I am paying them, I got responses in less than2 hours for everything and after they could not get a good IO speed they offered me full refund 2 times.. I did not take it, though. Time to log in and configure it myself properly.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • earlearl Member
    edited July 2012

The only bad thing about Datashack that I can think of was the 4 day setup time, other than that they've been awesome.. I've only put in one support ticket regarding not being able to connect to iLO but it was answered/resolved in less than 10 min..

What I like most about them is that they don't nickel and dime you to death.. they pretty much give you everything for free, like dedicated KVM access!! who else does this for $40/month!!

• yomeroyomero Member

@earl said: I've only put in one support ticket regarding not being able to connect to iLO but it was answered/resolved in less than 10 min..

This.

And I put another one because I did a mistake on my build :P

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@earl said: The only bad thing about Datashack that I can think of was the 4 day setup time, other than that they've been awesome.. I've only put in one support ticket regarding not being able to connect to iLO but it was answered/resolved in less than 10 min..

What I like most about them is that they don't nickel and dime you to death.. they pretty much give you everything for free, like dedicated KVM access!! who else does this for $40/month!!

Talk for yourself, it took like 10-12 hours over here :)

Thanked by 1earl
  • @wahyan: Free. Just asked if it was possible for Gbit port with same or smaller alloc, and they said Sure.