Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Datashack is getting some stock back on cheap dedicated servers - Page 11
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Datashack is getting some stock back on cheap dedicated servers

Comments

• PatsPats Member

@MrLadoodle said: I don't see how this is a benefit, its personal choice.

actually mix of benefit & personal choice:

• when clients demand/prefer hosting in US, then its benefit.
    • i heard some kimsufi boxes were cancelled abruptly as the owner's address was not in France/germany etc. & replies to tickets were in French. (personal choice )

That said what are the prices of upgrades in kimsufi? 2nd Hard Disk, extra IPs ?

• syamansyaman Member

I guess for some of us that impacts network connectivity rather significanty. OVH is almost 100ms more than most US locations from Asia

• @Pats said: - when clients demand/prefer hosting in US, then its benefit.

Yes but like MrLadoodle said, it is personal choice (therefore not a benefit)

@Pats said: - i heard some kimsufi boxes were cancelled abruptly as the owner's address was not in France/germany etc. & replies to tickets were in French. (personal choice )

I've talked with support numerous times and they've checked my information (telling me about the US address and whatnot) multiple times and yet I still haven't received any complaints about it (or getting service cut off).

@Pats said: That said what are the prices of upgrades in kimsufi? 2nd Hard Disk, extra IPs ?

This I'd actually like to know :P

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited July 2012

@syaman said: OVH is almost 100ms more than most US locations from Asia

Where are ya? I'm in Korea and yeah this seems to be true.

Edit: sorry I should have edited that into my previous comment

• PatsPats Member
    edited July 2012

@HalfEatenPie said: Yes but like MrLadoodle said, it is personal choice (therefore not a benefit)

when its Personal choice of the clients.. it becomes Benefit/No Choice for me...

• earlearl Member
    edited July 2012

@komo said: what do you say ...

german kimsufi (isgenug.de) Q6600 4x 2.40 GHz 1TB for $33,5 vs. datashack 35$?
    which do you like more and why?

I like datashack cause I can actually order it.. Does isgenug.de allow international orders?

edited July 2012

@Pats said: when its Personal choice of the clients.. it becomes Benefit/No Choice for me...

Well if personal choice == benefit for you then ok :P I just see it differently

@earl: once you order it just change it to ovh.ie

Thanked by 1earl
  • PatsPats Member

@HalfEatenPie said: Well if personal choice == benefit for you then ok :P I just see it differently

actually 'No Choice' for me is more appropriate as i 'may' benefit more personally if on kimsufi :)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Boy this got boring fast.

• @jarland said: Boy this got boring fast.

Thanked by 1jar

Trying to upgrade the firmware on mine right now. I mean I can't think of a good reason to roll with 2008 firmware, especially if I'm having trouble installing whatever the heck I want. Wish me luck.

• @jarland: what firmware

iLO

• ztecztec Member

@komo said: what do you say ...

german kimsufi (isgenug.de) Q6600 4x 2.40 GHz 1TB for $33,5 vs. datashack 35$?
    which do you like more and why?
    german kimsufi: http://www.isgenug.de/hot_deals/index.xml

I got them both, still cant decide which to take. Although the kimsufi one outperforms the datashack one, but no cheap directadmin though - Adding 11,50 to the order would make a difference.

• earlearl Member

@ztec said: Although the kimsufi one outperforms the datashack

in what way?

• ztecztec Member

HD is faster somehow, ping is better for me - although the servers would be for web-development so ping wouldn't really matter. It can actually handle proxmox and 1TB is hell of a lot more than almost 150gb. The control panel also makes a difference to me, since datashack has none.

Thanked by 1earl
  • earlearl Member

@ztec said: since datashack has none

Datashack has iLO.. but yeah would be nice to have a panel to reload the os

• earlearl Member

@HalfEatenPie said: once you order it just change it to ovh.ie

so you would order from this link?
    https://www.ovh.ie/order/kimsufi.cgi?hard=922sk1

Also I noticed you said you were in Korea did you sign up with a us address? did they ask for ID?

Upgraded firmware for iLO and the server, swapped to RAID0 and boosted I/O to around 120mb/s. Rolling the dice for a drive failure but meh, nothing important is going down on this machine.

• earlearl Member
    edited July 2012

@jarland said: swapped to RAID0

Mine is on Raid 0, and on a Debian VM I got around 65.4 MB/s..

Also cause the Array Accelerator Battery Charge Low error I don't think the cache for the Raid is enabled so if power cuts out unexpectedly were are SOL

From HP:

POST Error: 1794-Drive Array - Array Accelerator Battery Charge Low... ...Array Accelerator is temporarily disabled. Array Accelerator will be re-enabled when battery reaches full charge.
    Possible Cause: The battery charge is below 75 percent. Posted writes are disabled.
    Action: Replace the array accelerator board if the batteries do not recharge within 36 powered-on hours.

@earl said: Mine is on Raid 0, and on a Debian VM I got around 65.4 MB/s..

Definitely something wrong there. That's the performance of one of those drives.

edited July 2012

@earl said: Also I noticed you said you were in Korea did you sign up with a us address? did they ask for ID?

Yeah I had to get my account "verified" by presenting ID and a proof of a bill that had that address. It wasn't too hard.

Also @jarland, you should totally get on IRC :P

Thanked by 1earl
    edited July 2012

@earl said: POST Error: 1794-Drive Array - Array Accelerator Battery Charge Low... ...Array Accelerator is temporarily disabled. Array Accelerator will be re-enabled when battery reaches full charge.

Possible Cause: The battery charge is below 75 percent. Posted writes are disabled.
    Action: Replace the array accelerator board if the batteries do not recharge within 36 powered-on hours.

Yeah that makes sense. I upgraded firmware and got the error again so regardless of the possibility of false reports, it looks like we should get these batteries replaced.

Edit: Actually scratch that, mine hasn't given that error again. So mine probably was a false report, yours probably isn't.

• earlearl Member

@jarland said: That's the performance of one of those drives.

Well it must be Raid 0 cause it's showing 268.50 GB.. can't do a dd test on the esxi shell
    not too fond of vmware really wish it had proxmox!!

@HalfEatenPie said: by presenting ID and a proof of a bill

Don't mind sending them a copy of a bill, just not too fond of sending them a passport or drivers license for ID if that's what they want..

@earl Lucky you got ESXi to install. The error I'm getting while trying to install is due to network not loading it to the machine fast enough, but I'm sending it from VPS6 and I can't think of a faster line to burst anywhere.

• earlearl Member

@jarland said: it looks like we should get these batteries replaced.

I doubt they will considering what we pay.. the electric bill alone for these blades is around $10/month, then they have to pay rent and staff so I doubt it's in the budget for a $40 server

• earlearl Member

@jarland said: @earl Lucky you got ESXi to install.

Just ask the tech to install it for you.. give them a link to the iso.. or give them the login to your vmware account so they can downoad it from there. I got esxi 5 installed and working

edited July 2012

@earl said: I doubt they will considering what we pay.. the electric bill alone for these blades is around $10/month, then they have to pay rent and staff so I doubt it's in the budget for a $40 server

I mean they had the choice to do a software raid, they opted to use the hardware, surely they'll want to know.

I also just boosted the cores from 1Ghz to the 2.6Ghz they're supposed to clock at. Screw power saving modes. DataShack is going to hate me, but I was wondering why this thing was crawling.

• earlearl Member

@jarland said: they opted to use the hardware, surely they'll want to know.

that's true..

• rolz14rolz14 Member

@jarland Did you do the firmware upgrade yourself? I didn't get admin access to iLo, only user access