Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Datashack is getting some stock back on cheap dedicated servers - Page 8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Datashack is getting some stock back on cheap dedicated servers

Comments

• @HalfEatenPie @jarland: How long did it take to get your servers provisioned?

• Two days.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I'd say about a day and a half if memory serves.

• earlearl Member

4 days now!! they're still working on it..

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

Might get one but do you think it would be a waste only having it for a month?

Seems like they're machines that are anything but new, so I'm guessing paying them $35 for only one month isn't going to upset them. You just might find it fits a use for you.

I wouldn't be able to renew, that's the thing. I would love to test one out though. Anyone know their cancellation policy?

edited July 2012

Meh, wouldn't bother then. If you wanna feel like you're on a powerful dedicated machine for cheap, I highly recommend 64u.com. Oktay is a cool guy.

Not much to be seen from these in a month that you won't from a mid range vps.

Ok. I'll see what happens....

• ztecztec Member

they cant install promox, god damn it.
    What should I do now?:D

From support:

I know Centos 5 and 6, windows server 2003

and 2008, Debian, XenServer, and ProxMox all install correctly. And Debian 6
    will install but needs a firmware upgrade. I'm not sure about Ubuntu but I'd
    imagine it would work.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@ztec request iLO access (I guess it's like VNC to the server, but from the very beginning of the boot-up), then install it yourself? See above what @jarland wrote about it.

• ztecztec Member
    edited July 2012

"I'm sorry but Proxmox is not compatible with the hardware of this server. Please choose a different Operating System."

This is what they tell me. :(

I imagine I'd have problems installing it myself if hardware doesn't allow it.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited July 2012

@rm_ said: @ztec request iLO access (I guess it's like VNC to the server, but from the very beginning of the boot-up), then install it yourself? See above what @jarland wrote about it.

IPMI/iLO is more like KVM but integrated into the hardware and so much better!

• earlearl Member

@ztec said: "I'm sorry but Proxmox is not compatible with the hardware of this server. Please choose a different Operating System."

That's exactly what they told me.. ended up installing vmware

• dantesdantes Member

Hey everybody,

Just a quick question. Why do you need fast HDD? for what kind of use?

@earl ESXi? I kept trying and failing.

@dantes I'm inching into the vps market, the CPU and memory with the SSD would have been a cool promotional one time offering with just a few people on it.

• earlearl Member
    edited July 2012

Not sure what they call the free one now but I think it's "VMware vSphere Hypervisor 5"

It's from this link:
    http://www.vmware.com/go/get-free-esxi

Installed fine on mine..

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

You can always fall back to server 2.0.2 but it sucks without support (EOL).
    Also, vbox :P For just a few friends and all, xen on debian, etc...
    M

• syamansyaman Member

Hrm maybe can also try Virtualizor at $1 per month per VM? First month free

• earlearl Member

Forgot.. I was going to mention for anyone using vmware here is a Thinapped vSphere Client so you don't have to install anything on your computer..

Thinapped vSphere Client

• PatsPats Member

i know they installed Proxmox on their same HP Blade with SATA drive (their previous offer) on s'ones server i know.
    only difference now is SAS drive instead of SATA
    does that mean Proxmox doesn't support SAS? or too many requests to them to handle??

as per wiki you can install proxmox over Debian Lenny (squeeze too)
    http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Lenny

• AsadAsad Member
    edited July 2012

@Pats Pretty sure Proxmox does support SAS drives. Not sure why it wouldn't work with the hardware.

edited July 2012

It seems that most installation issues arise from the operating systems not having the necessary drivers bundled by default. Apparently they have some "different" hardware that I just really don't care enough to read about ;) lol

Another issue is that iLO mounts volumes or images that are local to you and treats them as if they are local to the machine. This can cause problems beyond just a little slow down if your bandwidth isn't high enough, depending on how the installation handles itself. I actually bought a Windows VPS on a 1Gbit just to work with mine (Java was acting up on my Ubuntu desktop VPS), and I still ended up doing netboot Ubuntu ISO because it was the simplest.

• PatsPats Member

@jarland said: I'm inching into the vps market

you're few inches far... time to remove the Affiliate link in sig.? :)

Thanked by 1jar

@Pats said: time to remove the Affiliate link in sig.?

But but...just a few more people and my RamNode can be free :) DO IT!

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Are affiliate links even allowed here? I didn't think they are.

@rm_ said: Are affiliate links even allowed here? I didn't think they are.

Not really rules here for non offer related posts that I'm aware of, but I'd probably be called on it if I were in any way deceptive about it.

• AsadAsad Member
    edited July 2012

@rm_ I don't think we have forum rules do we? Just the offer posting rules. I think the rest is community moderated, I don't see a problem with having affiliate links in sigs.

If people were to make posts on the other hand, with affiliate links to services. That would probably be deleted.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Ha ! I just love my sig ! No problems at all with it :)
    M