Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Datashack is getting some stock back on cheap dedicated servers - Page 14
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Datashack is getting some stock back on cheap dedicated servers

Comments

• PatsPats Member
    edited July 2012

@ihatetonyy said: change your privs via HPONCFG

can give me the link? ... i'm feeling adventurous :P

• Ordered the AMD FX-4100 for 69USD/month last night, setup for when a woke up in the morning!

So far all seems great.

• earlearl Member
    edited July 2012

@Cameron said: Ordered the AMD FX-4100 for 69USD/month last night, setup for when a woke up in the morning!

So far all seems great.

Do you get KVM access with that?

• @earl said: Do you get KVM access with that?

You have to request temporary KVMoIP.

Thanked by 1earl
  • flyfly Member

if this thread doesn't go to shit i might be interested in getting some datashack lovin

• earlearl Member

@kbar said: if this thread doesn't go to shit i might be interested in getting some datashack lovin

>
    The $35 server is sold out again...

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@yomero said: Btw, any idea what happens if I move from HT1.0 to HT3.0?? And what about the firmware? Is the latest? Is convenient to update? I have this one "1.81 01/15/2010"

I think my eyes skipped over that option, I haven't tried that yet. Latest iLO 2 firmware is 2.09 and for the BIOS it's 2011.05.02. I think that's right, one HP page will tell you an entirely different story than another. It's like GoDaddy and Microsoft teamed up to make a website.

• @jarland said: It's like GoDaddy and Microsoft teamed up to make a website.

lol....

I'm still waiting for mine because they're putting me in a totally new machine.

• flyfly Member

heh. i might spring for a xeon or the phenom then

• I just got mine back. Time to go test it and re-set it up!

• @kbar said: heh. i might spring for a xeon or the phenom then

If you want the Dual Opteron, they may have more again in a day or two as they did last time.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

@ihatetonyy said: @kbar said: heh. i might spring for a xeon or the phenom then

If you want the Dual Opteron, they may have more again in a day or two as they did last time.

Doubt that, Emailed them and got this reply :P

"At the moment we are not taking orders on the Dual Opteron 2216, and I do not know when we start again. I'm sorry for any inconvenience."

• flyfly Member

so they give you kvm over ip for free?

@kbar The blades all have iLO cards in them with their own network connection and IP.

• Is the iLO remote console shared? I tried to login to it this morning and was told the remote console is being used although I am the only one having access to it and I am pretty sure that is the only place I logged in.

@zhuanyi My understanding is the card is in each system individually. I've not even seen that error when logged on from two machines, except if I tried to open the remote console from both.

• @jarland said: My understanding is the card is in each system individually. I've not even seen that error when logged on from two machines, except if I tried to open the remote console from both.

Mmmm....me having bad luck? LOL

Maybe they're working on your system, do you have any open tickets?

• @jarland said: Maybe they're working on your system, do you have any open tickets?

Oh...that's why, they are rebuilding the RAID for me...

• Hi there guys!

I am thinking about getting a dedicated server on Datashack, more specifically the AMD Phenom II x4 840, with an extra 500GB drive to make a RAID1. I will be running a pretty heavy dynamic website (lots of background work), hence the dedicated server. So I have no plans to install a virtualization environment on it, I'll go with a minimal Ubuntu 12.04.

I should say that I am from Brazil and the huge majority of my website's audience is also from Brazil, so lag is not an issue right now. I've read the whole thread and the support from Datashack seems pretty solid, and having iLO promptly setup is a huge bonus.

I am also considering the EX4 from Hetzner, which is a beast (although built with desktop hardware): i7-2600, 2x3TB SATA with RAID1 software and 16GB of RAM. I am used to managing servers and I sincerely don't need any managed service, but some Hetzner customers report a terrible service from the german folks.

The Datashack setup costs $59/mo and the Hetzner one $49/mo.
    What do you guys think? Do you have any other suggestions?

• yomeroyomero Member

@arturhoo said: What do you guys think? Do you have any other suggestions?

If location isn't an issue, go for the i7

@jarland
    So, you have updated all this stuff? Bios, Storage firmware (maybe disks firmware), ilo firmware? What are your thoughts? it's worth it?

Thanked by 1arturhoo

@yomero I'm not sure there has been much immediate value, other than gaining additional control of the system settings.

• yomeroyomero Member

@jarland said: I'm not sure there has been much immediate value, other than gaining additional control of the system settings.

So, didn't translated in better performance...

• @arturhoo said: Hetzner

They're in europe. You're going to get more lag using that than the Datashack one.

Thanked by 1arturhoo

@yomero Well gaining the control to force it to high performance on the CPU got me around an issue where each core wouldn't go above 1Ghz.

• yomeroyomero Member

@jarland said: Well gaining the control to force it to high performance on the CPU got me around an issue where each core wouldn't go above 1Ghz.

Ouch xD
    Well, apparently I didn't had that issue o_O

• @jarland said: @yomero Well gaining the control to force it to high performance on the CPU got me around an issue where each core wouldn't go above 1Ghz.

[root@vz1 ~]# cat /proc/cpuinfo|grep MHz
    cpu MHz         : 1000.000

(Started something to use some CPU in another ssh session)

[root@vz1 ~]# cat /proc/cpuinfo|grep MHz
    cpu MHz         : 2600.000
    Thanked by 1yomero
  • PatsPats Member
    edited July 2012

argh... long struggle to install Proxmox .iso via iLO and i'm now middle of nowhere...

it Rebooted after install and now Remote Console hangs after showing..
    Attempting Boot From Hard Drive (C:)

anyone else tried installing Proxmox ?

@dmmcintyre3 Yeah mine wasn't clocking up when faced with intensive tasks. Perhaps a failure of Ubuntu or my firmware. Still, not a fan of power saving modes any more than Mac memory management. Always claims it'll handle business when more is needed, but in practice gives varying results.