Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kimsufi.... 4.99 euro dedicated server - Page 77
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Kimsufi.... 4.99 euro dedicated server

Comments

• @edan said:
    Post on their forum is almost useless, so I just try to reinstall and reinstall, show them if its always fail, they must have some kind of monitoring tools and if you stand up they will show you :)

I did that but their system only put me in rescue mode and that was it. :(

• @4n0nx said:
    I did that but their system only put me in rescue mode and that was it. :(

Perhaps I am just lucky :)

• im_jmzim_jmz Member
    edited November 2014

Kinda new around here and I just bought my 2nd Kimsufi. Had one ages ago and accidentally let it expire :/ Opted for the KS-3 but kind of thinking I shoulda went with the KS-2.

Just out of curiosity, what do you guys use your kimsufi for? Seems everyone I know uses it as a seedbox but not much else. Is it unsafe/bad practice to use a seedbox as a server for noncritical sites? Any security risks or such? I was debating the KS2/KS3 and went with the beefier of the two but honestly not sure I'd be able to put that RAM to good use :P

• ovh? I have none.

• @youyu said:
    ovh? I have none.

Thanks for the information!

Thanked by 3netomx hostnoob berkay
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2014

They are probably available more these days.
    Online net offers a worse CPU and worse DDoS protection, but their latest offer was way better overall than KS and SYS in many areas.
    At 3 Eur I was game, with setup fees and the way OVH always treated me, no. I wait to see if online.net does the same but on 2 Eur a month nothing to lose, really.
    If the 2 TB disk becomes the norm, though, then it is really tempting.

• My KS1 is rock solid :-)

16:32:47 up 470 days, 4:57, 1 user, load average: 0.03, 0.05, 0.05

Thanked by 2comXyz im_jmz
  • @Maounique said:
    They are probably available more these days.
    Online net offers a worse CPU and worse DDoS protection, but their latest offer was way better overall than KS and SYS in many areas.
    At 3 Eur I was game, with setup fees and the way OVH always treated me, no. I wait to see if online.net does the same but on 2 Eur a month nothing to lose, really.
    If the 2 TB disk becomes the norm, though, then it is really tempting.

Fear any ddos, they route you through their crap firewall and their crap firewall has packet loss all the time, it takes hours before the routing changes again so a 5min ddos can cause hours of packet loss.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @udk said:
    My KS1 is rock solid :-)

16:32:47 up 470 days, 4:57, 1 user, load average: 0.03, 0.05, 0.05

Did you luck out and get a 2TB?

I'm really curious what people do with theirs for some reason. My primary reason was seedbox/streaming server of some sort. But I've heard one or two people that go all out with web servers, teamspeak, minecraft, etc. Just curious how you put your server to use. I see the phrase "Unused RAM is wasted RAM" and I'm currently wasting a lot.

• I've finally got a KS-1 tonight with a little trick and a good amount of luck apparently.
    As you can see on the main page, they seem to be out of stock.

So I've used this URL: https://www.kimsufi.com/fr/commande/kimsufi.xml?reference=142sk1

Logged with my account and proceeded to the payment through Paypal.
    A few minutes later, my server was ready.

I also got two other invoices, so I guess a bug occurred at some point.

Hope this informations can help some people. :)

Thanked by 3Darwin im_jmz nadz
  • websites / backups / torrents / mumble server (murmur) / ircd - KS1 has eaten up everything I've thrown at it thus far

@im_jmz: only 500GB drive here, but this is from last year before people were getting lucky with bigger drives

• im_jmzim_jmz Member
    edited December 2014

@udk said:
    websites / backups / torrents / mumble server (murmur) / ircd - KS1 has eaten up everything I've thrown at it thus far

im_jmz: only 500GB drive here, but this is from last year before people were getting lucky with bigger drives

Thanks for the info! Is there any security/privacy risk with hosting websites/backups? Are they personal/non-critical websites or business sites? Not trying to be too nosey, just curious. Some people frown on seed boxes or look at it as a criminal endeavor completely and that makes me wonder what others think.

@Pierrick said:
    I've finally got a KS-1 tonight with a little trick and a good amount of luck apparently.

So I've used this URL: https://www.kimsufi.com/fr/commande/kimsufi.xml?reference=142sk1

Um...I just tried that and I do think it worked!

edit: Yup. I'm installing Debian at the moment... thanks Pierrick!!! Nice trick. I was hoping to get lucky on a 1.99 Euro but this is just as good if not better. You rock man.

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited December 2014

The KS-2 2TB storage makes for a great-priced, slower-speed 'backup for your backup/NAS vps'. (No RAID array is infallible).

That old backup 'rule of 3' comes to mind : Even backup/storage VPS(es) need an off-site mirror in different datacenter. Different continent? even better! :)

EDIT: Link added http://www.dpbestflow.org/backup/backup-overview

In the end, the pricing for DIY redundant storage comes close to the per-GB price of aws, google cloud storage.(mine's $1.9 cents /GB-month for 'ghetto redundant storage').
    Now, where's that link for Amazon Glacier....

• @Pierrick said:
    I've finally got a KS-1 tonight with a little trick and a good amount of luck apparently.

I always use those link and if available always got n2800 CPU.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @edan said:

I got the n2800 CPU as well. Was hoping for a bigger drive but got the 500GB...oh well!

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited December 2014

im_jmz said: Was hoping for a bigger drive

New KS1 do not get 2TB drives, only KS2 do. So far there's been only one report of getting 2TB on KS1 via replacement of a broken HDD, but that's it.

im_jmz said: Is there any security/privacy risk with hosting websites/backups? Are they personal/non-critical websites or business sites?

Why the heck there should be?

Not trying to be too nosey, just curious. Some people frown on seed boxes or look at it as a criminal endeavor completely

It is not a 'seed box', it's a dedicated server, you can use it for anything you like within the ToS. And hosting websites or backups is definitely in.

Thanked by 2comXyz vimalware
  • im_jmzim_jmz Member
    edited December 2014

@rm_ said:
    Why the heck there should be?

Just wasn't sure with the torrent protocol (for those using it as a seedbox). Opens up a few ports and such right? I might sound like an idiot, sorry for being dense. Guess I'm just paranoid and curious about best practices.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

im_jmz said: Just wasn't sure with the torrent protocol (for those using it as a seedbox). Opens up a few ports and such right?

BT is UDP and does not need to open anything, it works over firewalls because the connection is punched through from inside. If you have a firewall/NAT at home you do not need to forward any port and it still works.
    The peers are read through http then your application connects to them first so the firewall will allow it, even though UDP is connectionless.

Thanked by 1im_jmz
  • anyone have some news update for their 1Gbps network like in RBX5 DC?

• @edan said:

Also got a n2800 with 2GB of RAM and a 500GB HDD.

• It's much better than $1.99 Online.net CPU

• edan said: I always use those link and if available always got n2800 CPU

how to avoid VAT from that link for non-europe?

• Validate your account.

They remove vat after they validate you don't live in any country where vat is charged.

BTW they usually take weeks to validate your account.

• @skizoid said:
    how to avoid VAT from that link for non-europe?

Taken from their forum:

Orders may be subject to manual validation that require that you provide additional documents.
    All documents should be sent as pdf-attachments to [email protected] .
    When sending documents for order validation, it is possible to request VAT removal. Be sure to add VAT removal request in your email. VAT exemption is dependent on eligibility.

http://forum.kimsufi.com/showthread.php?26133-Make-an-order-VAT-Change-Server
  • @Darwin said:
    Validate your account.

They remove vat after they validate you don't live in any country where vat is charged.

BTW they usually take weeks to validate your account.

Mine still stuck in validation. I already validated my OVH account year ago, but Kimsufi, not yet.

• I got mine validated using a little trick.

Open a ticket asking for vat removal, attach your passport/id/utility bill. And say that they have yet to validate your account.

You should get a response in a couple of days, instead of weeks (sending docs by email)

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited December 2014

Seems like DDOS Migration works pretty well, got attacked as OVH says at 17:39 and DDOS Migration stopped at 17:44, As the Graph says it started at 17:36, 17:37 highest Point were it it was detected, 17:39 it got lower, 17:40 went back to normal and that for a Kimsufi.

Thanked by 3vimalware marrco im_jmz
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

You can also still say OVH migrated the bad Traffic. Its nearly the same so who cares.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Infinity580 said: You can also still say OVH migrated the bad Traffic. Its nearly the same so who cares.

Actually it is an IT term. Mitigation and prevention.

Gobbling up the attack or null routing :)

Thanked by 1im_jmz