Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyVM - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyVM

Comments

• laaevlaaev Member

FWIW, This is the host Daniel owns

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1149734

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@vld said: I suggest not deleting this thread, with all the potential evidence Daniel has posted, it could be relevant.

I've never deleted threads anyways, that's pretty silly, that was just to get the point across ;).

Let me just put my 2 cents out here, I thought Daniel was a little more mature than that but he is entitled to do whatever he wants :)

• @taipres said: but this maybe out of my hands now

Actually, it's not. The -only- way they would have any legal standing against him is if you were to also press charges at a local level (an attack of this level doesn't qualify for federal jurisdiction). So your choices are between either wasting months of your own time and expenses for what would amount to a slap on the wrist for Dan, or accepting his apology/letting it go/etc and nothing would happen.

(To make a crude, but accurate, analogy: if you rent a car from Hertz then crash it into someone's house, the -most- Hertz can do to you is charge you for the damages, as per the terms you agreed to upon rental. Ramhost may try to invoice Daniel for 'network damages', but neither they nor their provider have any legal ground to press action on him by themselves).

• ramnetramnet Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2012

@Daniel said: Over a 5min DoS?

Let me rephrase.

Since Hostgator is the victim of your activity, they would be the ones to report it & pursue it. I have sent their abuse team my evidence of your activities to assist them should they wish to proceed.

• @Jacob said: Grabs the popcorn..

Same, this is getting good

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited April 2012

I have to admit myself, I was quite immature launching the little DoS attack against @taipres just to wind him up.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited April 2012

800Mbps for 5Mins, Make him give you a few bucks for the bandwidth. Win, Win.. Everyone is happy?

Like aldryic said it's not worth continuing this..

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • ZettaZetta Member
    edited April 2012

@taipres got a loaded gun now, EVERYONE GET DOWN ON THE FLOOR.

Okay, maybe not...STAY ON THE FLOOR ANYWAY.

Thanked by 1MrAndroid
  • [@Aldryic said]Well, I am enjoying all of the free publicity :3

Unfortunately there is no such thing as bad publicity... For every hate thread there are 400 customers who are willing to try the service just to see if the hate is justified.

• @ramnet said: Since Hostgator is the victim of your activity, they would be the ones to pursue it. I have sent their abuse team my evidence of your activities to assist them should they wish to proceed.

Really hope things work out for you Daniel, you may not like me very much but I don't have anything against you or anyone, and don't want you to get into any serious trouble. Hopefully hostgator won't pursue anything.

edited April 2012

@Jacob said: 800Mbps for 5Mins, Make him give you a few bucks for the bandwidth.

We advertise that we never charge bandwidth overages (we cut people off instead).

Even though he violated my terms, I won't be violating my terms by sending him a bill I advertise that my clients will never see.

We get billed on 95-percetile anyway so it won't cost us anything for what he did.

• JacobJacob Member

@BlueVM And... Then they notice "Out of Stock".

• ZettaZetta Member

Oh no, everyone's going to know about BuyVM now. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• @Jacob said: And... Then they notice "Out of Stock".

They occasionally have stock, there is no way they'd ever be able to meet the demand of the entire industry so I accept that they limit their stock for the benefit and quality of all. Heck we have to do the same thing...

• @Zetta said: Oh no, everyone's going to know about BuyVM now.

Dammit, there goes our hipster status ;;

edited April 2012

@taipres said: Really hope things work out for you Daniel, you may not like me very much but I don't have anything against you or anyone, and don't want you to get into any serious trouble. Hopefully hostgator won't pursue anything.

I wasn't much in favour of you putting words into my mouth, and wasn't exactly the person with the idea to attack your site.

@ramnet said: We advertise that we never charge bandwidth overages (we cut people off instead).

Even though he violated my terms, I won't be violating my terms by sending him a bill I advertise that my clients will never see.

We get billed on 95-percetile anyway so it won't cost us anything for what he did.

I must of only used around 350GB (estimate) max, and I had a solid 500GB left on my account.

• vedranvedran Veteran

whatta ...

• subigosubigo Member
    edited April 2012

This place has officially gone to shit. I don't want to even come here anymore, but it's such a train wreck, I can't look away.

• vldvld Member

@Daniel said: and wasn't exactly the person with the idea to DoS your site (I won't reveal his identity).

Oh, an accomplice! Tell us more.

• @ramnet: Is this really the place to discuss such a topic about a customer?

Just saying, it seems a bit unprofessional to me, for you to point out stuff about a certain customer on a public forum. It should be done in private by email if anything, at least in my opinion.

• laaevlaaev Member

@premiso said: Just saying, it seems a bit unprofessional to me, for you to point out stuff about a certain customer on a public forum. It should be done in private by email if anything, at least in my opinion.

At least now I know not to accept orders from that individual... as well as many other VPS providers who participate in this forum.

edited April 2012

@premiso said: Just saying, it seems a bit unprofessional to me, for you to point out stuff about a certain customer on a public forum. It should be done in private by email if anything, at least in my opinion.

Its in their privacy policy that they do it, so expected.

I feel amazed that I managed to turn this thread completely upside down.

• premisopremiso Member
    edited April 2012

@FTN_Kevin: I would agree with that part, but it seems that too much information is coming out about the sed attack. Granted Daniel is the one who originally mis-posted the screenshot.

And I was pointed to the Privacy Policy of RamHost, and yea. I guess ramnet is in the right so strike my comment from the record!

edited April 2012

@premiso said: Is this really the place to discuss such a topic about a customer? Just saying, it seems a bit unprofessional to me, for you to point out stuff about a certain customer on a public forum. It should be done in private by email if anything, at least in my opinion.

1) Daniel admitted he was our customer when he posted that screenshot of his email, and admitted he did what he did after confronted about it. So I don't see an issue discussing it when Daniel initiated the conversation.

2) "If you violate our Terms of Service then we reserve the right to disclose information about you to whomever we deem appropriate at our sole discretion."

• vedranvedran Veteran

@Daniel said: I have to admit myself, I was quite immature launching the little DoS attack against @taipres just to wind him up.

Yes, it was. But the real question is why you're even having DoS scripts or whatnot on your VPS?

• @premiso said: And I was pointed to the Privacy Policy of RamHost, and yea. I guess ramnet is in the right. But I would still expect some stuff kept private, oh well :)

Although to be fair, all the data they have of myn is under the Data Protection Act 1998.

edited April 2012

@Daniel said: Although to be fair, all the data they have of myn is under the Data Protection Act 1998.

Servers are in the US, and our company is based in the US.

UK/EU data protection laws don't apply in this case.

• @vedran said: Yes, it was. But the real question is why you're even having DoS scripts or whatnot on your VPS?

I have a range of scripts that I mostly just use for testing, the script I used on RamNet was originally used to test something on my home network.

• @ramnet said: Servers are in the US, and our company is based in the US.

UK/EU data protection laws don't apply.

You claimed you were in manchester?

edited April 2012

@Daniel said: You claimed you were in manchester?

Doesn't matter.

Ram Host is a Texas company, Our client database is hosted in Seattle, and you had services with us in Kansas City.

UK data protection rules don't apply. Me being near Manchester UK this spring visiting my family and checking out UK datacenters means nothing.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
This discussion has been closed.