Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

100TB GVH? You mean 1.66TB - Page 8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

100TB GVH? You mean 1.66TB

Comments

• shovenose said: the difference between every minute and every other minute is minute in this situation

21914.55 times vs 43829.1 times, I don't think that difference is 'minute'.

• shovenose said: Oh, minor detail - I did actually ask them if this was alright when I first got the server. I don't remember word for word what I asked, and I can't log in to see it now, but here's proof they said it was OK:

that justifies it. now i agree with you

• MunMun Member

@shovenose

Did you ask the provider of the speedtest file if you could?

Whom / what is the link to the file?

Mun

• gkzgkz Member

Anyone having grandfathered Digital Ocean account? It comes with unmetered bandwidth, so it should not having an effect to DO and GVH, right?

• darkshiredarkshire Member
    edited January 2014

who cares about a link to the speedtest file, WE WANT TO SEE this complaint that was supposedly sent to CC for alleged ddos.
    im beginning to think @shovenose has a solid case here.

jbibloh, chime in.

• gkz said: Anyone having grandfathered Digital Ocean account? It comes with unmetered bandwidth, so it should not having an effect to DO and GVH, right?

as far as i know, its not real unmetered.

Thanked by 1gkz
  • shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2014

The company hosting the speedtest file has a 10 cent piece as the second piece of their name. That should be more than enough to identify them.

edited January 2014

@shovenose said:
    The company hosting the speedtest file has a 10 cent piece as the second piece of their name. That should be more than enough to identify them.

O__o

VPSDime

• MunMun Member

Hostdime??

• @shovenose said:
    The company hosting the speedtest file has a 10 cent piece as the second piece of their name, and they have an ugly website. And they like to email spam me. That should be more than enough to identify them.

VPSDime...? How do they have an ugly website? It's quite appealing to me at least.

• @shovenose
    no need to be cryptic about it.
    help us help you.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

HostDime :)

Thanked by 1darkshire
  • MunMun Member
    edited January 2014

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited January 2014

There is a huge logical fallacy here, and I suspect someone is being a liar. Why?

Lets say I am the host that was having the file downloaded over and over again from, now why the heck would I not simply place an iptables rule on the server blocking his ip, or even in a worst case scenario on the router to block him from downloading if I really cared about the usage? Heck, he was only connecting once ever minute, its not like he was sending 2000pps or even from multiple ips. My guess is ColoCrossing saw the large amount of continuous bandwidth usage and alerted GVH to have it cease as it was using a bunch of bandwidth over a short period. I have no doubt that they may have called it a DDOS in their report to GVH, however, I HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt there was an abuse report put in from the download location. it just doesn't make any logical sense. If they did, then the admin where the speedtest file is located is pretty freaking stupid, seriously and I hope you would provide us a excerpt from it to prove it really happened.

TL; DR:

I would bet dollars to donuts that there was no outside abuse report ever made and that this was simply ColoCrossing's monitoring system noticing the continuous use of large volumes of bandwidth from a single ip address over a extended period of time.

So @GreenValueHost shut up already. You keep bringing this lameness onto your self, seriously. I also highly doubt you will ever let anyone get anywhere close to 100TB and you are the stupid one to even propose that offer.

P.S. I am not condoning what @shovenose did by any means, its a completely stupid waste of money, time and resources. However, @GreenValueHost is just as moronic for making the offer to begin with and promoting this type of behavior.

(And I am not calling him a moron I am stating his actions were moronic and it is the correct use of the term @mpkossen)

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• shovenose said: I think I said "every two minutes" or something like that... because I assumed the 2GB file would take more than a minute to download

I Think GVH told that they actually received complaint from the host of that file, because you are NOT abusing GVH's resource which they've committed to you. Rather you were abusing the host from where you were downloading the file.

Anyway, I am in GVH's side this time. As you sow, so shall you reap.

• TheLinuxBug said: (And I am not calling him a moron I am stating his actions were moronic and it is the correct use of the term @mpkossen)

i dont find this offensive. i'll let @Spirit and @mpkossen decide

edited January 2014

@jcaleb said:
    i dont find this offensive. i'll let Spirit and mpkossen decide

Ugh, let this go guys thus is not important nor what this thread is about.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

@TheLinuxBug although it's not the most likely, I don't think it's unreasonable that the host would have an automatic monitoring system in place so that if a user continuously runs the speed test and looks like a bot then they block the user AND also automatically email abuse based on IP address.

• @perennate okay, I will stipulate to that IF he show us the abuse report. You can redact the pertinent information as needed as long as it shows the ip address and their request to have it stopped. I believe he already stated it was HostDime above so that part can likely be left in. I just really don't think this "abuse report" exists.

Cheers!

• skybucks100skybucks100 Member
    edited January 2014

I was reading through GVH TOS and I saw:

Citizens of these following countries are not allowed to order our services: Iran, North Korea, Cuba, Sudan, Syria.

Did Kim Jong-un order a 100tb plan too?

Stupid jokes aside, I didn't find anything. Although in their "Pro Customer" email they said:

3) Our cron interval restrictions (5 minutes) have been repealed.

So unless he started this thing before Jan 8th, he's in the clear on cron jobs.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

That screenshot of shovenose proves nothing. Wget a 2kb file every minute and what a 100mb file every minute is a lot of difference.

Thanked by 2dhamaniasad ironhide
  • @netomx said:
    That screenshot of shovenose proves nothing. Wget a 2kb file every minute and what a 100mb file every minute is a lot of difference.

GVH didn't say otherwise if he didn't specify a size.

• I think we now need to wait for a confirmation that HostDime actually send an abuse mail. If they did GVH is in the right, if they didn't shovenose is.

However i'd like to say that i find @GreenValueHost's attitude in this thread towards CC disturbing. As a provider he has the full responsibility for his operation. He is responsible for his clients towards CC and he is responsible for CC towards his clients.

Things like:

We had absolutely nothing to do with it. COLOCROSSING NULLED YOU.

-

ColoCrossing, and not us, requested for us to remove you from the network. You can take this up with @jbiloh and @SysAdmin

-

you can't just say all those people with years of experience in this industry are wrong.

-

ColoCrossing AND the owner of the server he was downloading the file from constantly considered it a DoS attack and demanded for him to be terminated.

-

Our hands were tied behind our backs.

-

Terminating him was our only choice.

-

ColoCrossing and the server owners in which he downloaded the file from considered it a DoS and wanted him terminated immediately.

-

In all honesty, I do not know why you guys are hammering us for what we did. We had absolutely no authority in the situation. ColoCrossing called the shots.

-

They are interpreting the 'definition' of DoS to us

-

You guys nullrouted his IP

make it seem like GVH is a small child that is not ready to take responsibility.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

What a thread, interesting read. I'm not part of the abuse inbox so I don't have a copy of the complaint to offer but here's what I'll add:

1. A 1 gbit spike inbound wouldn't have been enough for us to take action or show up on our monitors. We have tens of thousands of gigabit switch ports, so 1gbit inbound spikes happen literally every second.

2. We have a number of abuse templates. Had our NOC thought the traffic was an inbound DDOS attack they would have used a different template (not the one that was posted here from the ticket we opened). The template that was used is selected when we are notified of a problem by a 3rd party.

Either way, from my comfortable bed at home, that's what I can offer. :)

Oh and for the record, ColoCrossing makes money when customers use lots of bandwidth, so the suggestion that we demanded a customer not offer 100 tb plans makes just about zero sense. Perhaps GVH received some advice from his supplier, HVH, I don't know. If he did, then good, because no one should be selling 100 tb for $5 unless they want to eat rice and live on the street.

• jbiloh said: If he did, then good, because no one should be selling 100 tb for $5 unless they want to eat rice and live on the street.

Either that or they think they can make a profit on such service. That's the ultimate reason for every offer seen.

• @shovenose said:
    lol

LOL? Grow up, Michael :-)

@SysAdmin said:
    ctrl+shift+F3

Why can't we all just play nice?

Whoa, it worked!

@rchurch said:
    GreenValueHost I ought to lodge a DoS complaint against you as you are denying me service. Thats right. I am accusing you of DoS because the 250Gb promised me is not available in my account. df -h is giving me crazy results all the time.

The server is dead idle so is certainly down to no fault on my part.

Alright, we got your point now. If you have an issue with GVH, use their ticket system!

TheLinuxBug said: (And I am not calling him a moron I am stating his actions were moronic and it is the correct use of the term @mpkossen)

I know. It's fine :-)

• Should we close the thread?

• @jcaleb said:
    Should we close the thread?

Why can't we all just play nice? ;)

• jcaleb said: Should we close the thread?

No we are still waiting for the most important piece of information:

gsrdgrdghd said: I think we now need to wait for a confirmation that HostDime actually send an abuse mail. If they did GVH is in the right, if they didn't shovenose is.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

This discussion has been closed.