Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

100TB GVH? You mean 1.66TB - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

100TB GVH? You mean 1.66TB

Comments

• @jcaleb said:
    yes, but be prepared of trolls.

The trolls skyrocket our Alexa rank and I know exactly how to combat trolls, so no problem there. ;)

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • @GreenValueHost said:
    Alexa rank

No truer hallmark of success, some say*

Thanked by 1Spencer
  • rchurch said: I can't see what @shovenose has done wrong.

Ask the owner of the speed test who likely reported this to CC.

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited January 2014

@Mark_R said:
    Probably, but it still is not a real DoS attack.

DoS does not necessarily equal "attack".

DoS = Denial of Service.

Whether malicious or not, denial of service has the same effect . . . denial of service. Nobody in their right mind is going to say, well we're out of service (or worried about it), but it's not an "attack", so I guess we'll do nothing.

• @Jack said:
    Cachefly wouldn't of reported it surely?

No idea, but given that CC hasn't popped into this thread to clear themselves from being thrown under the bus - I would hope that what GVH is saying is accurate, someone reported it.

• SysAdminSysAdmin Member
    edited January 2014

@Jack said:
    Hi Jon/Alex

Hi Jack

• Which one?

• Clear ourselves from what? I haven't read this whole thread and I don't really have the time to go through it all. Give me the TLDR

• @SysAdmin said:
    Clear ourselves from what? I haven't read this whole thread and I don't really have the time to go through it all. Give me the TLDR

TL;DR Shovenose wanted to use 100tb and then request a refund. He cronjob'd a wget every minute to download a speedtest file he hosted. His host send CC a DoS notification which got forwarded to GVH. GVH terminated his server. He came here, and said GVH "only allows 1.6TB" then it got into a discussion of whether or not this is actually a DoS.

• @SysAdmin said:
    Clear ourselves from what? I haven't read this whole thread and I don't really have the time to go through it all. Give me the TLDR

@shovenose set up a cron job on his VPS with us to wget a 2gb speed test file every minute. You guys nullrouted his IP and informed HVH with a notice that said shovenose was sending DoS attacks, and then immediately after, George from HVH informed us, and then we had him terminated, and this is where this thread appeared

• MunMun Member

GVH kicked out shovenose for abusing his VPS and downloading a speedtest over and over again, supposedly CC sent a DOS alert to GVH. They want a confirmation

• Are we forgetting something significant here? Does it takes days for a provider to notice a DOS attack? How can a DOS attack take days to be noticed? The downloads had been going for days.

The proper term in this case is abuse not DOS, after all the Service as in Denial Of Service was still available. At no point did the third party maintain that the test file was not available to others.

If it was truly a DOS said third party would simply have blocked the IP address and said DOS attack would have been over.

Conclusion: There was no DOS complaint.

Thanked by 2Mark_R chrisp
  • I wouldn't be surprised if we did null route the IP if hes abusing on the network, that's the sort of action anyone would take.

• darkshiredarkshire Member
    edited January 2014

share the complaint with us here, lets see it

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • I'd consider wgetting a 2 GB file every minute resource abuse, since his intent wasn't to take down a remote server. If it wasn't piped out to /dev/null, it'd be writing a 2 GB file every minute as well on the hard disk.

• Why can't we all just play nice?

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@SysAdmin said:
    Why can't we all just play nice?

What's your keyboard shortcut for that phrase?

• @jarland said:
    What's your keyboard shortcut for that phrase?

ctrl+shift+F3

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited January 2014

rchurch said: I can't see what @shovenose has done wrong.

Well, from my reading of this saga, what he did wrong was target only one remote speedtest file. The abuse was logged at the remote target, not at @shovenose's vps.

If he'd compiled a list of 1,000 different speedtest files, and scripted his testing to cycle through them, then there probably wouldn't be an issue :)

• @SysAdmin - Could you maybe please sink or lock this thread now .. or both? I think this thread as ran it's course.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2014

@sleddog said:
    If he'd compiled a list of 1,000 different speedtest files, and scripted his testing to cycle through them, then there probably wouldn't be an issue :)

I'm not exactly calling the shots anymore on these things but under me it would be. You know you didn't pay for a dedicated port and you're told it's there for you any time you need it, so use it anytime you need it. You can't justify "I wanted to see how long you would let me use it" as a good reason for being greedy. Probably wouldn't be something I'd catch in that case but if I did I'd be pissed.

Intent means everything, some things have a clear intent.

• @GreenValueHost I ought to lodge a DoS complaint against you as you are denying me service. Thats right. I am accusing you of DoS because the 250Gb promised me is not available in my account. df -h is giving me crazy results all the time.

The server is dead idle so is certainly down to no fault on my part.

Thanked by 2DeletedUser Mark_R
  • @shovenose
    is it ok with you that GVH share the complaint here on this thread ?

• @darkshire said:
    shovenose
    is it ok with you that GVH share the complaint here on this thread ?

We don't have it.

• @rchurch said:
    GreenValueHost I ought to lodge a DoS complaint against you as you are denying me service. Thats right. I am accusing you of DoS because the 250Gb promised me is not available in my account. df -h is giving me crazy results all the time.

As the server is idle I won't be bothering you for the time being, but if and when I actually need the space I will put in a technical support query.

• 100tb for $5 means I will get bad neighbors such as shovenose

Thanked by 2Epidrive dedicados
  • @jcaleb said:
    100tb for $5 means I will get bad neighbors such as shovenose

lol, too true.

• @jcaleb said:
    100tb for $5 means I will get bad neighbors such as shovenose

shovenose's activity shouldn't affect my disk space, only my network speeds.

Thanked by 1gkz
  • @rchurch said:
    GreenValueHost I ought to lodge a DoS complaint against you as you are denying me service. Thats right. I am accusing you of DoS because the 250Gb promised me is not available in my account. df -h is giving me crazy results all the time.

mine looks fine
    df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/simfs 250G 111G 140G 45% /
    none 2.0G 4.0K 2.0G 1% /dev
    none 2.0G 0 2.0G 0% /dev/shm

• rchurch said: shovenose's activity shouldn't affect my disk space, only my network speeds.

yes, different topic. but who wants bad neighbors.

This discussion has been closed.