Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

100TB GVH? You mean 1.66TB - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

100TB GVH? You mean 1.66TB

Comments

• And we have immediate Black Lotus backup protection in case we need it so we have nothing to worry about.

• @Virtovo said:
    To be fair. That's nothing.

Better than claims of up to 100Gbps which some claim. I doubt any of Mark's shells will be any good as they are generally compromised shared webservers with high load anyway.

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited January 2014

Is GVH asking to be ddossed?

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • jnguyenjnguyen Member
    edited January 2014

@W1V_Lee said:
    Don't waste your incomparable analogies on me.

1) The analogy that I have made makes perfect sense.

2) And you are in no way bias based on your general disliking of unlimited hosting providers and ColoCrossing, right?

• :) the man spent his 5 bucks to try his genius test :)
    and finally he want to take his $5 again !!
    I think you have to pay also to the (speed test file)'s provider who lose some of their bandwidth in your genius test
    you R so funny

• @gsrdgrdghd said:
    Is GVH asking to be ddossed?

The DDOSers might even be able to negotiate a free iPad.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @GreenValueHost said:
    So you mean that people under 21 in the United States shouldn't be punished for drinking alcohol underage because they were "baited" to do it because of all the social pressure and advertising by beer companies? That's not an excuse.

You have got to be the worst analogy maker of all time.

See if you can shoehorn 'tax evasion', 'arson', or 'kidnapping' into your next one, please

• jnguyenjnguyen Member
    edited January 2014

No we're not asking to be DoSed, not at all. I'm just asking since he owns a botnet and seems to have an issue with temper, it's likely that it's going to happen. God forbid it does though.

• StevenNStevenN Member, Host Rep

@GreenValueHost said:
    So you mean that people under 21 in the United States shouldn't be punished for drinking alcohol underage because they were "baited" to do it because of all the social pressure and advertising by beer companies? That's not an excuse.

That's two really bad analogies in one thread now.

• Fact of the matter is, downloading a file is in no way an DDoS. Downloading a file repetitively is not a DDoS.
    Although if OP was a bit smarter woulda made a bash script to get a few different files continuously. Say... I3d telia2 ovh (as off top of my head they have some nice hefty 10gb files)
    But... All I'm saying by my post before is I guarantee that you guys will suspend my account before I get near 100TB.
    And just for notation. One of my servers have 500gbit DDoS protection (just saying since it's gonna become a wank contest here)

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

lol

• @AutoSnipe said:
    Fact of the matter is, downloading a file is in no way an DDoS. Downloading a file repetitively is not a DDoS.
    Although if OP was a bit smarter woulda made a bash script to get a few different files continuously. Say... I3d telia2 ovh (as off top of my head they have some nice hefty 10gb files)
    But... All I'm saying by my post before is I guarantee that you guys will suspend my account before I get near 100TB.
    And just for notation. One of my servers have 500gbit DDoS protection (just saying since it's gonna become a wank contest here)

By definition, it is technically considered a DoS. I've already said above what matters and what does not matter about this issue. ColoCrossing and the server owners in which he downloaded the file from considered it a DoS and wanted him terminated immediately.

And if you want to utilize our VPS services for legitimate purposes and consume your full bandwidth allocation, have at it. There's an iPad Air just waiting for someone to claim.

• @VMbox said:

3, it's been compared to 'stealing a penny' and 'shooting a person to try out your gun' as well

• LeeLee Veteran

GreenValueHost said: And you are in no way bias based on your general disliking of unlimited hosting providers and ColoCrossing, right?

Where did you deduce that from? I have nothing against unlimited providers, take a look at the WHT annual debate thread over the past few years, there you will find me all in favor and being very vocal about allowing them on WHT which they now are.

Neither do I have anything against CC personally, I don't agree with the back room manner in which they deal with some situations. Just because I don't personally deal with them does not mean I have no connection to them and therefore first hand experience.

• @GreenValueHost said:
    No we're not asking to be DoSed, not at all. I'm just asking since he owns a botnet and seems to have an issue with temper, it's likely that it's going to happen. God forbid it does though.

Honestly, anyone can say they have a "botnet", sure doesn't mean it is true.

Also, did you ever mention what host it was that was the target of test file downloading? Or maybe @shovenose would be so kind. I don't really intend to take any side here, I am just interested in what host it was.

• I made a spelling mistake in one of my previous posts.. fixed..

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/450562/#Comment_450562

my primary language is not english, my apologies.

• 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited January 2014

@GreenValueHost said:
    Mark_R - Just a little while ago you didn't know how server name indication worked and now you're here pretending to be an expert on server administration telling a lot of people here with years and years of experience that they're wrong.

Wow dude, you're an [Offensive content removed. S.]. Good job breaking client privacy (thumbs up).

IMHO, GVH, you're digging a nice hole for yourself here. If people are defending you, don't go around doing this as a host. Do you understand the concequences of doing so?

I know you're 17, but please, don't let your ego/attitude go into this.

• provider should not post negative review of another provider.

in my mind, no leb host can say we offer 100tb bw and actually allow it in real use. there will always be a lot of limitations somewhere.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2014

wow such thread, much disagree.

I only have a few things to say,

1 ) it is not strictly a DOS as it was not denying anything really as in full cut off, but I do accept that DOS is probably the closest match and if the source complained then there you go it should be stopped.

2) speedtest files are speedtest files, they are not put up for you to simply use to consume bandwidth, one of the recent offers I put in to LEB I declined to provide such files as the last time I did someone set off 3 VPS's downloading them 24x7.

It is an attack of sorts, it hits the link and drains an unnatural amount of bandwidth, ensuring that any potential customers get poorer speeds than they would have and potentially losing business for the source.

I raised abuse reports about these and they were taken care of, so yeah not full on DOS attack but for sure it is an attack of sorts, if GVH got a complaint and then you continued doing this then of course you will get terminated.

3) I would say unless I missed something GVH should have sent forward the original abuse report at the same time or very soon after suspending your VPS/ shutting down your network access.

4) giving 100TB for $5 is beyond ridiculous even as an add-on for a dedicated server never mind a VPS.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • @0xdragon - I would appreciate if you not resort to libel.

Mark is not our client. I pulled information from threads that he publicly posted on this forum. You can view the threads he posted in his client profile.

• In all honesty, I do not know why you guys are hammering us for what we did. We had absolutely no authority in the situation. ColoCrossing called the shots.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@GreenValueHost said:
    In all honesty, I do not know why you guys are hammering us for what we did. We had absolutely no authority in the situation. ColoCrossing called the shots.

You realize just about everyone agreed with you right.

Thanked by 2Mark_R Epidrive
  • 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited January 2014

@GreenValueHost said:
    0xdragon - I would appreciate if you not resort to libel.

I can use fancy words like that too! Join the club :)

Mark is not our client. I pulled information from threads that he publicly posted on this forum. You can view the threads he posted in his client profile.

Yes, and this helps you how?

Not at all. Exactly.

Everyone is agreeing with you here. Just don't try and make it harder for yourself by winning every battle, because you can't.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @GreenValueHost said:
    In all honesty, I do not know why you guys are hammering us for what we did. We had absolutely no authority in the situation. ColoCrossing called the shots.

I think you'll find most people are agreeing with you on this one.

Thanked by 1Epidrive
  • jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited January 2014

GreenValueHost said: In all honesty, I do not know why you guys are hammering us for what we did. We had absolutely no authority in the situation. ColoCrossing called the shots.

when someone signs up with you, its between your customer and you. not between your customer and your DC.

Thanked by 2Mark_R Lee
  • @jcaleb said:
    when someone signs up with you, its between your customer and you. not between your customer and your DC.

Yes I understand this. He signed up and agreed to our Terms of Service, correct? Our ToS states that users may not send outbound DoS attacks of any kind and may be terminated for doing such, and that we reserve the right to interpret our ToS. And we have a similar agreement with our upstream -- They are interpreting the 'definition' of DoS to us, and thus we are interpreting the 'definition' of DoS to our end client.

@jarland @Virtovo - Yes, I understand and I'm truly grateful for this. I'm referring to the minority that are still arguing against what most people including myself have presented.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@GreenValueHost said:

Yeah I totally agree with what you did, I would have done the same except the client would have got a copy of the report so he knows what not to do again.

I still stand by my 4th point above though :)

• giving 100TB for $5 is a critic magnet

• jnguyenjnguyen Member
    edited January 2014

@jcaleb said:
    giving 100TB for $5 is a critic magnet

It's also a publicity magnet, and we've set aside a large amount of money to be potentially spent on bandwidth overages. This publicity is better than advertising on Google Adwords. :)

All of this has been planned and coordinated for months. We knew what we were going to get out of it. The jackpot is the publicity and the skyrocketing of orders that result from all of this.

• yes, but be prepared of trolls.

This discussion has been closed.