Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

100TB GVH? You mean 1.66TB
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

100TB GVH? You mean 1.66TB

shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
edited January 2014 in Providers

GVH is back with their fake legalese and lies and false advertising.

I purchased one of their 100TB $5/mo VPS...
All I did was wget cron a speed test file every minute. No resource usage except for bandwidth. My calculation with the size of the file and the time was that it would end up using about 85-90TB by the end of the month. At that time, I would have taken advantage of the 45 day money back guarantee.

Any way, at a few days (1.66TB of usage) my VPS just stops working. It's apparently online but it had no network connectivity.

Support gives me the run around but the VPS works again. At their request, I reinstalled the VPS with a new copy of CentOS 6 x64, my operating system of choice.

That was last night. I ran out of time to finish it up so this morning I SSH in and start running sudo yum update. Halfway through that, it dies. I reply again to the ticket asking what is going on.

Apparently yum update is a denial of service attack? I contact them several more times explaining that I am denial-of-servicing anybody and simply attempting to use the allocated resources I paid for in a non-abusive, honest manner.

Now I get this in my email.
_"Michael,

This is a notification to inform you that your VPS has been terminated as you are in violation of our Terms of Service.

We strictly do not allow clients to utilize our services for the purposes of sending denial of service attacks. Not only is this against our Terms of Service, sending DoS attacks is illegal in the United States. Under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, denial of service attacks are considered a federal crime and may be punished with several years of inprisonment. Due to your actions, you are no longer welcome as a client of GreenValueHost and will be reported to the appropriate authorities for your deliberate violation and internet crime.

Regards,

GreenValueHost
"_

I'll be contacting PayPal shortly for a dispute. Even if I don't get my $5 back (I don't care) the more complaints against PayPal they have the better.

TL;DR: GVH lies about how much resources you get and invents creative terms of service violations.

Thanked by 3Mark_R TarZZ92 nocom

Comments

• Are you kidding me?

"All I did was wget cron a speed test file every minute."

This qualifies as a Denial of Service attack. COLOCROSSING NULLED YOUR VPS IP ADDRESS. We had absolutely nothing to do with it. COLOCROSSING NULLED YOU.

• You attempted to bash us with this same crap on Vpsboard and you got hammered for it, and now you're trying on LET. What you did was considered a Denial of Service attack.

ColoCrossing, and not us, noticed your attack and immediately had your IP address nullrouted. ColoCrossing, and not us, requested for us to remove you from the network. You can take this up with @jbiloh and @SysAdmin

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

So? this review isn't going anywhere.

• Facepalm.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • LeeLee Veteran

Lol, Shovenose that was hardly a good plan to use up bandwidth.

Thanked by 1Pwner
  • @shovenose said:
    So? this review isn't going anywhere.

Although I hate to admit it, what you orchestrated was a denial of service attack and was a deliberate misuse of resources. Any provider would have shown you the door. There are far more creative ways of trying to use your 100TB B/W allowance!

• Shovenose how do you manage to make yourself look like this all of the time? Do you do it on purpose?

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • @shovenose how stupid are you? Pretty stupid I think after reading this thread.
    Are you abusing other hosts like you abused this host?

My calculation with the size of the file and the time was that it would end up using about 85-90TB by the end of the month. At that time, I would have taken advantage of the 45 day money back guarantee.

What? Abuse the host for one month, then ask for your money back? Why??
    Hope you get blacklisted everywhere for this.

Thanked by 1DestroyeRCo
  • darkshiredarkshire Member
    edited January 2014

Thanked by 2ihatetonyy Pwner
  • nunimnunim Member
    edited January 2014

@shovenose said:
    ... All I did was wget cron a speed test file every minute. No resource usage except for bandwidth. My calculation with the size of the file and the time was that it would end up using about 85-90TB by the end of the month....

Did you own the machine hosting the SpeedTest file?

• NoermanNoerman Member
    edited January 2014

@shovenose If I do what you do on @GreenValueHost VPS on your ShoveHost VPS, would I will be terminated too?

• jnguyenjnguyen Member
    edited January 2014

@rethinkvps said:
    Shovenose how do you manage to make yourself look like this all of the time? Do you do it on purpose?

I think he's getting paid to do this on purpose for our entertainment.

and what do ya know .. @shovenose changed this to offers so it would get sunk and he wouldn't be embarrassed as bad :/

Thanked by 2lukesUbuntu Epidrive
  • GreenValueHost said: I think he's getting paid to do this on purpose for our entertainment.

He's doing a pretty good job at it haha

@Noerman said:
    shovenose If I do what you on GreenValueHost VPS on your ShoveHost VPS, would I will be terminated too?

If you purcahse a ShoveHost VPS and use a script to use up the full bandwidth allotment in a non-abusive manner and in a way that complies with our service, no, there is no problem.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • I would have terminated you too. Also, "you may be eligible to a refund within 45 days" doesn't mean what you think it means.

• MunMun Member
    edited January 2014

@shovenose said:
    If you purcahse a ShoveHost VPS and use a script to use up the full bandwidth allotment in a non-abusive manner and in a way that complies with our service, no, there is no problem.

You are an [Some %$&/#%& content removed. S.], a disgrace to this community. You do absolutely no good for the world, and frankly I am glad I never have purchased a service from you. You know full well what you did was a DOS attack. You are just playing stupid.

Mun

I full well know what a DOS attack this and this was not such a thing. It's a SPEED TEST FILE !

• shovenose said: It's a SPEED TEST FILE !

Who hosted it? Link it please.

• @shovenose said:
    I full well know what a DOS attack this and this was not such a thing. It's a SPEED TEST FILE !

No you do not. What you did was considered a DoS attack. You just can't say all of these people here, all of the people on VPSB, and all of the people at ColoCrossing that told you it was a DoS attack.. you can't just say all those people with years of experience in this industry are wrong.

• shovenose said: So? this review isn't going anywhere.

Any special reason why is "review" posted in "Offers" section?
    All this seems like a failed attempt to get community approval with taking advantage over recent GVH situation at board. If I would be you I would just ask if thread can be closed and forgotten as soon as possible.

• MunMun Member
    edited January 2014

Though it may not be considered a full on "DOS" it is still using a service (the speed test) abusively and in a way not intended. BTW this still can be considered a "DOS", it would be like me downloading every file from your server over and over again for the pure purpose of eating through your resources.

In any case it wasn't nice, kind, thoughtful, or in anything legitimate. I in many ways hope you get a $200 or more fee slapped to you.

• akzakz Member

just when you think LET is getting quiet, BAM.

• MunMun Member

@spirit, may I request that all shovenose offer posting be removed, I thought I saw one a few days ago, and as we can all clearly see, he is not grown up enough to actually run a company.

Mun

Thanked by 1marrco
  • VirtovoVirtovo Member
    edited January 2014

@shovenose said:

If it was a public speed test file then yes it was potentially an attempted DoS

• fapvpsfapvps Member
    edited January 2014

The speedtest file provider probably reported this as DOS attack. It is most likely against their AUP/TOS unless you used your own server to serve up the file. Even you actually own the server performing such an act is in bad taste.

The only reason I did not use my own servers to run the speedtest is because I do not have a 1Gbps link to any of my servers. If I just ran it of my speedtest server I could have maxed out at 33TB/month to the GVH server which would not have got me anywhere to test the 100TB allotment.

• @shovenose said:
    The only reason I did not use my own servers to run the speedtest is because I do not have a 1Gbps link to any of my servers. If I just ran it of my speedtest server I could have maxed out at 33TB/month to the GVH server which would not have got me anywhere to test the 100TB allotment.

So that justifies you breaking a federal law? I don't think that would fly in court.

Oh and I think I read "Offers" as "Other" I was in a hurry. Could an admin please move it to the proper place? Thanks!

edited January 2014

@GreenValueHost said:
    So that justifies you breaking a federal law? I don't think that would fly in court.

I did not break any laws. I simply tried to use the resources that I paid you for.

This discussion has been closed.