Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

100TB GVH? You mean 1.66TB - Page 9
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

100TB GVH? You mean 1.66TB

Comments

• chrispchrisp Member
    edited January 2014

@GreenValueHost said:
    All of this has been planned and coordinated for months. We knew what we were going to get out of it. The jackpot is the publicity and the skyrocketing of orders that result from all of this.

Is shovenose a dork trying to use your bandwidth limit in a useless way? Maybe

Are you a nonserious company coordinating a promotion you knew would attract exactly such things and therefore risk the performance of your trusting customers? Absolutely

I don't care if you think that's a DoS, but I blame you for it anyway.."We knew what we were going to get out of it", sorry this is just too ridiculous to argue now that you would allow any legitimate use-case..there is none that would comply with your ToS and CPU usage agreement!

• @shovenose said:
    I purchased one of their 100TB $5/mo VPS...
    All I did was wget cron a speed test file every minute. No resource usage except for bandwidth. My calculation with the size of the file and the time was that it would end up using about 85-90TB by the end of the month. At that time, I would have taken advantage of the 45 day money back guarantee.

>
    >

I might have had issues with @GreenValueHost but this is clearly wrong. You got the vps for malicious purposes ! Despite GreenValueHost's earth-shattering offers all hosts should reserve the right to kick people like you out when you are clearly abusing the resources for the purpose of accomplishing nothingggg!

If you were running a streaming service, website, etc I would have considered this termination a gross violation but frankly you are an abuser by definition and you are not going to get any sympathies here.

Thanked by 1Epidrive
  • I think shoveboy was a total jerk. I would consider this abusing a VPS. It should be clear to everyone that these 100TB are oversold. It is nice to have them, and when you are in need of so much BW it is okay, but you should not abuse it.

I also hate people who abuse promotional systems. It is exactly the same.
    There is somebody, offering something nice, and on the other hand, people abusing it and trying to draw this somebody out.

However, what worries me most is this:

Our hands were tied behind our backs.

Terminating him was our only choice.

So when CC or whoever in the management decides that one of your customers are not worth to be kept, you just terminate them? This is not your choice at all?
    Ugh. So what's your point of being a provider then? I must assume that you have no power about your resources.

• GunterGunter Member
    edited January 2014

Does this seemingly happen every week? is it absolutely necessary?

• VPNVPN Member

GVH need to man up and grow some balls. If I was a provider and I got a notification from another host that one of my IPs was using excessive bandwidth, I'd look into it but at the end of the day anything on the internet is in the public domain and to extent shovetoes is well within his rights to download the file.

The host of the file is responsible for how much bandwidth their files use, so why should shoveblows be held accountable for it. He was given 100TB of bandwidth to use. Nowhere was he told he couldn't use it to download files. In which case if he was, then the 100TB is pointless and a deliberate miss-sold product.

At the worst, shoveblokes should have been contacted first to advise him of the complaint and explain what he was doing was wrong and allow him to cease and desist and allow him to continue using the VPS in a non abusive manner. I italic abusive because I personally think it's reasonable usage. What did GVH expect someone to do with that much bandwidth? It's there to be used.

In theory, if I emailed CC and gave them an IP attached to GVH and said it was downloading my public files that I put on the internet, CC would then null route the IP and put a gun to head of GVH and tell them to suspend the account.

I have nothing against CC (unlike a lot of people on LE* - stop using LE* if you hate CC... but that's for another thread), I just think GVH should of stood up to them and looked into it rather than bowing down to their every command.

Now after all this I need to make clear that I'm not exactly siding with shovewoes. I disagree with his view that he can just get a VPS and then try and claim the money back afterwards. However, that shouldn't be a factor in why GVH terminated him - they didn't know he planned on doing that until he made this thread, at which point they had already suspended the account.

TL;DR - The speedtest script host shouldn't have put the file on the internet if he didn't want it downloaded and GVH should of stood up to CC and not just terminated the account.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • ATHKATHK Member
    edited January 2014

@OkieDokie

No need to be a BEEP! It's @shovenose nothing else nothing more you prick...

This is exactly why they made a thread about name calling...

Mod edit: warning sent for disrespectful behavior.

• @ATHK said:
    OkieDokie

No need to be a fucking disrespectful asshole! It's shovenose nothing else nothing more you prick...

Hypocrisy detected!

• VPNVPN Member

@ATHK said:
    OkieDokie

No need to be a fucking disrespectful asshole! It's shovenose nothing else nothing more you prick...

Real mature. Refer me to the name calling thread and then be heavily rude and disrespectful to me. Well done.

Completely unprovoked as well. Which department do you work in at GVH? I ask because you must surely be referring to my 'disrespect' of GVH and their poor business practices.

I'm a consumer and as such I am open to having my own opinion on how a company conducts business where it may directly or indirectly affect me.

• I wonder which node this happened at. I submitted a ticket a few days ago calling for help because the node's bandwidth was totally occupied by something. I couldn't even do a ping. then I was told by GVH that they just captured an abuser.

• @kyaky said:
    I wonder which node this happened at. I submitted a ticket a few days ago calling for help because the node's bandwidth was totally occupied by something. I couldn't even do a ping. then I was told by GVH that they just captured an abuser.

I'll be honest. We 'capture' 15-20 abusers per day on average.

• You will be kicked out of the community if your attitude is being a dick.
    People will hate you and you will be excommunicated.

• @GreenValueHost said:
    I'll be honest. We 'capture' 15-20 abusers per day on average.

I hope you guys can figure out some ways to prevent similar abuses. I bought the VPS half month ago, I'm still not very confident to store my data into the VPS honestly. Last time I decided to give a try but the network, as I said, was totally jammed. I guess I will leave the VPS idle for a few weeks more to see if things get better. Thank You.

• @shovenose said:
    The only reason I did not use my own servers to run the speedtest is because I do not have a 1Gbps link to any of my servers. If I just ran it of my speedtest server I could have maxed out at 33TB/month to the GVH server which would not have got me anywhere to test the 100TB allotment.

If you had the actual skill or ability to read and understand English you'd see people are saying you DoS'd a speedtest server without any gain or what the speedtest was intended for in the first place.

What you're basically saying now is that you DoS'd someone else because you wouldn't even be able to cope with your very own DoS. People like you shouldn't be running a hosting company.

• texteditor said: no, it really isn't. one thread pulling the same speedtest file in succession? dick move, yes, DoS, no

shove's intentions from the start were to cause the provider problems so they would fail to provide a service.

That's a denial of service attack.
    Not just attacking people with your bandie.

• KupolKupol Member
    edited January 2014

What's up with tx1 @GreenValueHost ? I know I won't get a top-notch service for $5 but I would like to access my server at least. Here is ping from 3 different locations.

Italy
    256 packets transmitted, 87 received, 66% packet loss, time 255088ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 161.865/166.805/176.199/4.033 ms

France
    651 packets transmitted, 274 received, 57% packet loss, time 652840ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 112.972/113.430/119.161/1.156 ms

Slovakia
        Packets: Sent = 338, Received = 252, Lost = 86 (25% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 154ms, Maximum = 287ms, Average = 165ms

• @Kupol please submit a ticket.

The last thread about us got locked and sinked because it was being used as our helpdesk. Let's not let the same thing happen to this thread.

• VPNVPN Member

@duckeeyuck said:
    shove's intentions from the start were to cause the provider problems so they would fail to provide a service.

That's a denial of service attack. Not just attacking people with your bandie.

No, his intentions were to see if GVH would really give him 100TB of bandwidth or if the service was oversold and thus get terminated early for over usage.

I don't believe he had any intention of taking the host down otherwise he would of done more than download a measly file a few hundred times.

With that logic, Mediafire, Rapidshare, 4shared and so on are constantly being 'DoS'd everytime someone downloads something from their servers.

The difference is the host of the file in question doesn't want to take responsibility of the bandwidth for a file HE is hosting and has instead tried and successfully passed the issue on to someone else to be punished for.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • GreenValueHost said: The last thread about us got locked and sinked because it was being used as our helpdesk. Let's not let the same thing happen to this thread.

GreenValueHost said: @SysAdmin - Could you maybe please sink or lock this thread now .. or both? I think this thread as ran it's course.

• raza19 said: You got the vps for malicious purposes

Since when downloading a speed test file is "malicious"?

I agree this is not being "nice" in the Internet world but I think calling it a DOS (especially considering he is NOT downloading consecutively but just once every two minutes) is definitely an exaggeration at least.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Wow, real mature, DDoS my website.

• @kyaky said:
    I hope you guys can figure out some ways to prevent similar abuses. I bought the VPS half month ago, I'm still not very confident to store my data into the VPS honestly. Last time I decided to give a try but the network, as I said, was totally jammed. I guess I will leave the VPS idle for a few weeks more to see if things get better. Thank You.

yeah, this was exactly what i'm thinking to do now. Mine was down too, this morning. But still got another one yearly, maybe just need to let them fix this abuse before jump in other offers.

• iSky said: @kyaky said: I hope you guys can figure out some ways to prevent similar abuses. I bought the VPS half month ago, I'm still not very confident to store my data into the VPS honestly. Last time I decided to give a try but the network, as I said, was totally jammed. I guess I will leave the VPS idle for a few weeks more to see if things get better. Thank You.

yeah, this was exactly what i'm thinking to do now. Mine was down too, this morning. But still got another one yearly, maybe just need to let them fix this abuse before jump in other offers.

So you guys are buying 100TB VPS and expect your neighbors not to make use of the 100TB so that the network will speed up? :)

It doesn't matter what is being downloaded by other user on the server, as long as they are selling 100TB VPS you should expect that at least some of your neighbors would be downloading at that rate. And if the network is slow, I think you should tell GVH to upgrade their bandwidth rather than telling your neighbors on the node to stop downloading

Thanked by 2Lee rchurch

Or they could stop using their 100TB to take down my site.

• @shovenose said:
    Or they could stop using their 100TB to take down my site.

And now you're accusing us of DoSing your site? Come on, get real. You've pissed off hundreds of people in the past month.

@GreenValueHost said:
    And now you're accusing us of DoSing your site? Come on, get real. You've pissed off hundreds of people in the past month.

I am not accusing you of anything. I'm simply guessing that there is a large chance whoever took down our site is a customer of yours.

• @shovenose said:
    I am not accusing you of anything. I'm simply guessing that there is a large chance whoever took down our site is a customer of yours.

ColoCrossing would have nulled their IP by now.

• shovenose said: I am not accusing you of anything. I'm simply guessing that there is a large chance whoever took down our site is a customer of yours.

Without IP logs accusations will get you nowhere

• kyakykyaky Member
    edited January 2014

@zhuanyi said:

at what rate? 1G full speed? Can you do this with any other providers? 1000/8=>125mb/s? You would have been banned too if you did that. I just expect a normal use, mate. It's got nothing to do with 100TB or 100000TB. eg. prometeus has 10x1G network redundancy. and uplink is limited to 100M around. I was talking about GVH should have done something. I can't expect my neighbors not to use their VPSes at all. I hope you are not one of theses download abusers.

• kyaky said: at what rate? 1G full speed? Can you do this with any other providers? 1000/8=>125mb/s? You would have been banned too if you did that. I just expect a normal use, mate. It's got nothing to do with 100TB or 100000TB. eg. prometeus has 10x1G network redundancy. and uplink is limited to 100M around. I was talking about GVH should have done something. I can't expect my neighbors not to use their VPSes at all. I hope you are not one of theses download abusers.

1, I would never buy such a VPS because I know how much 100TB would cost and how little sense it would make to have 100TB VPS for $5 (similar to those "unmetered" shared hosting scams except you could restrict what people do in shared hosting)

2, I don't recall Prometeus to sell 100TB VPS at LEB rates (correct me if I am wrong). What I am saying here is this is not a matter of what your neighbours are downloading but rather a provider selling something that they can't really achieve. I see this similar to putting 200 2G VPS plans on a 32GB node and kicking people out for "resource abuse" when they are using the 2GB RAM they are assigned to.

• OMG!!! An attack to US based servers!!! Switch to Defcon 1 now!!! General, send in the drones right away!!!

Looks to me like said party is just another lame host. The customer has the right to use what you've promised them. It is definately not an attack. CC is definately not certified nor elected nor has the right to treat big requests as attacks just because it wants to. Who died and made whom the king? Stop using their action as a valid cause. They can suspect valid actions as DDoS as well, it's you who should decide it's not and talk to them. You dodgy hosts just promise too much and cry abuse when you can't deliver. @GreenValueHost why don't you guys report @shovenose to the authorities then; he's upto mischief; not to mention a federal felony! -- DDOSing and stuff... -- Stop throwing around accusations like that!!! And everyone should carefully read OP, he only used 1,6 Tb! Calling 1,6 Tb DDoS is like calling a grenade a warhead. Isn't 1,6 Tb like 5,5 Mbits? An average proper DDoS attack is like 2,5 gbits!

Thanked by 1Mark_R
This discussion has been closed.