Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CentrioHost won't reissue an SSL certificate - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CentrioHost won't reissue an SSL certificate

Comments

• StevenNStevenN Member, Host Rep

@Gien said:
    yeah wildcard comes to arround 110 something. Still thats 22$ a year for wildcard.. not the cheapest option (with promo's) but atm i dont know anyone selling it cheaper...

We provide free Wildcard Alpha SSL's with all our VPS.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    mpkossen got to be time to ban CentrioHost this time?

I knew what you're going to say before I actually read it.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@Rockster said:

haha, yeah I have been saying it a lot I suppose, I just don't like this one because he has used and abused LEB/T for a classic bait and switch, and I am getting tired of his childish name calling.

• GienGien Member
    edited January 2014

VMbox said: We provide free Wildcard Alpha SSL's with all our VPS.

Thats a really nice offer, but i didnt take vps + sslcert into this :P
    But im guessing you aint selling 20$/year vps's ;)

Yes we do, contact me if you're interested. :)

• AnthonySmith said: @mpkossen got to be time to ban CentrioHost this time?

Don't think that's gonna happen...http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/437604/#Comment_437604

VMbox said: We provide free Wildcard Alpha SSL's with all our VPS.

Is that through SingleHop?

@zhuanyi said:

Yes they're from SingleHop.

• GienGien Member
    edited January 2014

VMbox said: Yes we do, contact me if you're interested. :)

Lol, nice ad :D but thanks, im suffering from too many leb's already :D

But getting a little off topic..

On centrio's previous post thats now not more then a " . " he said, he wont offer ssl here

i guess thats not anymore, as he did, and thats why we are here now

• For SSL certs I have been buying through a local company called Servertastic. They have been 100% reliable and SSL certs were $10/shot

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • @MarkTurner said:
    For SSL certs I have been buying through a local company called Servertastic. They have been 100% reliable and SSL certs were $10/shot

What about WildCard? In Servertastic is too expensive.

• $139 is cheap for wildcard SSL - these people treat you like a customer not like a criminal so pay the money and feel good about it!

• GoGetSSL is my provider of choice when it comes to certificates.

• You may try with ssl2buy if you need a wildcard cert - they currently sell AlphaSSL Wildcards for $49/yr.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited January 2014

MarkTurner said: $139 is cheap for wildcard SSL - these people treat you like a customer not like a criminal so pay the money and feel good about it!

Namecheap: $95/yr
    https://www.namecheap.com/ssl-certificates/comodo/positivessl-wildcard-certificate.aspx

GoGetSSL: $81.25/yr
    https://www.gogetssl.com/wildcard-ssl-certificates/comodo-essentialssl-wildcard/

I've heard only good things about GoGetSSL, but I'd personally pay the slight premium for Namecheap since they're a major company with great customer service.

• @MarkTurner said:
    $139 is cheap for wildcard SSL - these people treat you like a customer not like a criminal so pay the money and feel good about it!

I'm a reseller there and I think I pay $9/cert. Awesome company with superb support. Andy is a great guy.

• @mpkossen - Exactly my experience! Even getting certificates reissued, lost some enrollment links - always professional

• Dylan said: I've heard only good things about GoGetSSL, but I'd personally pay the slight premium for Namecheap since they're a major company with great customer service.

GoGetSSL is pretty good, I've used them for some non-wildcards in the past. It's pretty hard to screw up SSL unless you're Centrio? :o

Thanked by 1MCHPhil
  • https://www.startssl.com/ has unlimited wildcard certifcates for $60 a year. You only pay for what it cost them to live and process your identity. Something like 98% acceptance. Free subdomain certificates as well. I use them on my mail servers and one domain websites.

Thanked by 1raza19
  • mpkossen said: I'm a reseller there and I think I pay $9/cert. Awesome company with superb support. Andy is a great guy.

love to see some decent wildcard cert offers..

You dont get the major players that match leb offers, GlobalSign, Thawte, Comodo, Verisign, etc... Or for that matter even come close to a reasonable price..

• raza19raza19 Veteran
    edited January 2014

@Silvenga said:
    https://www.startssl.com/ has unlimited wildcard certifcates for $60 a year. You only pay for what it cost them to live and process your identity. Something like 98% acceptance. Free subdomain certificates as well. I use them on my mail servers and one domain websites.

oh wow, if we all pitch in our experiences, I am sure some great offer wud pop up. I like to think there must be a similar offer available at the moment like the danish... we just dont know about it yet. I am regretting not having taken it when it was available.......

• Gien said: You dont get the major players that match leb offers, GlobalSign, Thawte, Comodo, Verisign, etc... Or for that matter even come close to a reasonable price..

Of course not, that is how their resellers make money.

• @nunim its more that there A-brands and you pay big bucks for those, most of them have less expensive B-brands, globalsign has alphassl other have them too..

But still love to see a thawte wildcard cert (possible with EV) for less then 200 bucks

• @Gien said:
    nunim its more that there A-brands and you pay big bucks for those, most of them have less expensive B-brands, globalsign has alphassl other have them too..

It's not only a matter of having a brand name. The certs also differ in the encryption and liability/warranty level.

• I never understood these liability / warranty levels? So what exactly do they guarantee? That the NSA won't get a copy of the cert? I kind of doubt this...

• Well, the big difference, I believe, is that Globalsign provides huge discounts through its premium resellers for its AlphaSSL products. As @skagerrak mentioned, the level of warranty is rather low with AlphaSSL, so if that is kinda important to you (like, warranty in case the CA gets stolen), you better look for something like Thawte. In terms of security I disagree - AlphaSSL certificates can be 1024, 2048 or 4096 bits, just like it is the case with other more expensive products. The actual encryption method is a server-client dependent parameter; the certificate brand has plays no role here.

• GienGien Member
    edited January 2014

me personally, i dont care about the warranty levels, and im not woring about nsa (if they want they can) but allot of people on the web are still not that smart, and green just makes a better impression.. its just a color... but then again, those A brands, its just a name

• ChumbiChumbi Member
    edited January 2014

@rds100 said:
    I never understood these liability / warranty levels? So what exactly do they guarantee?

It's more about warranty for mis-issued certificates and stolen CA certs.

• skagerrakskagerrak Member
    edited January 2014

@rds100 said:
    I never understood these liability / warranty levels? So what exactly do they guarantee? That the NSA won't get a copy of the cert? I kind of doubt this...

TBH, IMHO the whole point of a few "chosen" companies selling certificates at their discretion because they urged the browser-coders to take money and only accept their certificate as trusted is very questionable.

Originally, the idea behind the warranty-level is AFAIK that the selling company is liable up to that amount if a third party has losses/damages because the certificate/it's algorithm didn't proof to be secure enough to protect the communication or the root cert was lost/compromised. Yet, ofc the buyer needs to file proof. ;-)

• @Gien said:
    me personally, i dont care about the warranty levels, and im not woring about nsa (if they want they can) but allot of people on the web are still not that smart, and green just makes a better impression.. its just a color... but then again, those A brands, its just a name

It's not about A or B brands... it's the type of validation that was required to issue the certificate. All those cheap certificates are domain validated certificates. It doesn't say anything about the owner of the domain or the certificate. If you need to achieve a higher level of trust, you can have the issuer of the certificate validate your personal and/or your company identity. It means more work for the issuers, also a higher level of "risk" for them since they vouch with their warranty that this identity is true. And that's why those certificates are more expensive. You can read more about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_Validation_Certificate

There may also be slight differences in how clients deal with different types of certificates. For example, Chrome browser, by default, only checks the revocation status of extended validation certificates on-the-fly; it doesn't do that with domain validated certificates.

• I still don't understand the warranty. When can this warranty be claimed?
    You say of the CA is stolen. If the CA is stolen, do you think they would have enough money to pay $10k or $100k or whatever to each one of the millions users who purchased certificates from that company?