Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Path.net Drama 2.0 - 5 or more Exchanges suspend them for unpaid bills. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Path.net Drama 2.0 - 5 or more Exchanges suspend them for unpaid bills.

Comments

• @PHP_Friends: if you no longer support Path, you might want to remove the option "PATH.NET - DDoS-Mitigation + DDoS-Manager" from your dedicated servers.

• dataforestdataforest Member, Patron Provider

@lukast__ said:
    @PHP_Friends: if you no longer support Path, you might want to remove the option "PATH.NET - DDoS-Mitigation + DDoS-Manager" from your dedicated servers.

yea, we are working on a new site for php-friends.de

• @PHP_Friends said: yea, we are working on a new site for php-friends.de

Hopefully soon also with the new servers :smiley:

Thanked by 1dataforest
  • proofofsteakproofofsteak Member
    edited March 14

Who are Path.net, what do (did?) they do, and what are the implications of these suspensions on the rest of the internet?

• It's going to be interesting reading about this once the dust settles. Where did they go wrong? Was it bad management, bad money management, bad investments?

• kaitkait Member

@HiveDCNick said: Was it bad management, bad money management, bad investments?

First 2 as highlighted in the first discussion linked in the OP.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • DataWagonDataWagon Member, Patron Provider

@kait said:

@PHP_Friends said: I would consider alternatives

I would love (and plan) on getting the basics setup, but its mega hard to setup something good. But I will let you know when I have something basic working.

If you're interested in collaborating, we have our own in house DPDK eBPF filtering system thats pretty robust. We've built it out over the years but don't have a ton of bandwidth capacity for it to be super useful for any large(er) attacks.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • burgerburger Member

@PHP_Friends said:

@kait said:

I would love (and plan) on getting the basics setup, but its mega hard to setup something good. But I will let you know when I have something basic working.

We already have our own eBPF XDP solution active :)

On what services is that solution active?

@burger said:

@PHP_Friends said:

@kait said:

we can offer it for dedicated servers only right now

• burgerburger Member

@PHP_Friends said:

@burger said:

@PHP_Friends said:

@kait said:

Fair enough. Is there any ETA for VPS/Rootservers because I wouldn't mind switching from my PATH host back to german quality hosting.

@burger said:

@PHP_Friends said:

@burger said:

@PHP_Friends said:

@kait said:

Fair enough. Is there any ETA for VPS/Rootservers because I wouldn't mind switching from my PATH host back to german quality hosting.

write me please :)

• burgerburger Member

@PHP_Friends said:

@burger said:

@PHP_Friends said:

@burger said:

@PHP_Friends said:

@kait said:

write me please :)

Kinda new to LowEndTalk I have no clue where I can message someone tbh

• jh_aurologicjh_aurologic Member, Patron Provider

@DataWagon said:

@kait said:

If you're interested in collaborating, we have our own in house DPDK eBPF filtering system thats pretty robust. We've built it out over the years but don't have a ton of bandwidth capacity for it to be super useful for any large(er) attacks.

DPDK and eBPF, how does that work?

• @burger said: Kinda new to LowEndTalk I have no clue where I can message someone tbh

Either click on the username and then on "Message", or in this case you could (I think) also contact them at [email protected].

• burgerburger Member

@lukast__ said:

@burger said: Kinda new to LowEndTalk I have no clue where I can message someone tbh

Either click on the username and then on "Message", or in this case you could (I think) also contact them at [email protected].

Thanks

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited March 15
  • @LeeField please kindly update Path's peeringdb to latest & active IXes only

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@DataWagon said:

@kait said:

Send me some details, sounds cool.

• @rabiex47 said:
    @LeeField please kindly update Path's peeringdb to latest & active IXes only

Lee = Zigi

Not sure if he still works in path.net, but certainly not after posting that stuff on the first page xD

Thanked by 1sasslik
    edited March 15

@jh_aurologic said:

@jbiloh said:

DPDK is used to process / forward the traffic. Rules are modular and can be written in eBPF or C (for more advanced rules) with PPS thresholds. When a PPS threshold for a certain rule is hit, it activates and traffic matching the rule will be blocked, until it falls below the threshold (when the attack subsides). We were able to hit full line rate on 80Gbps on a single E3-1240 v3 when we stress tested it a while back.

Thanked by 2maverick 0xbkt

@DataWagon said:

@jh_aurologic said:

@jbiloh said:

DPDK is used to process / forward the traffic. Rules are modular and can be written in eBPF or C (for more advanced rules) with PPS thresholds. When a PPS threshold for a certain rule is hit, it activates and traffic matching the rule will be blocked, until it falls below the threshold (when the attack subsides). We were able to hit full line rate on 80Gbps on a single E3-1240 v3 when we stress tested it a while back.

Sounds finicky to deal with, we do it with maps programmed through userspace Go based controlplane, logic being applied on demand - 400G per filter on Ryzen Threadripper 32-Core or some EPYC 🔥

@jh_aurologic said:

@DataWagon said:

@jh_aurologic said:

@jbiloh said:

Sounds finicky to deal with, we do it with maps programmed through userspace Go based controlplane, logic being applied on demand - 400G per filter on Ryzen Threadripper 32-Core or some EPYC 🔥

Works fine for us, we've been running on this same box for years with no issues. The ruleset we have blocks 95% of attacks we see, and we just add rules as needed for more niche stuff. If we had more capacity we'd definitely upgrade the hardware.

Is your system not 'rule' based? Most attacks are blocked by our rules that just do generic checks for 'improper' traffic.

Thanked by 10xbkt

@DataWagon said:
    Is your system not 'rule' based? Most attacks are blocked by our rules that just do generic checks for 'improper' traffic.

We do a mix of static logic matches combined with deep packet inspection and challenge response, customers can create rules (flexrules) through customer area, which are then spread across currently eleven global filters using an event based design. Means under a second for click on the frontend to rule deployment. In our case, customers can basically define any kind of a rule, matching source-ip-address space, prefix-lists, geoip details and things like payload at a certain byte offset, while applying various action methods such as whitelist with ratelimit, whitelist with ratelimit per client and so on - I think it's kinda complex what we run nowadays :)

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

@jh_aurologic said:

@DataWagon said:

@jh_aurologic said:

@jbiloh said:

I don't think there's any one right way to do it.

• MoopahMoopah Member

@MrRadic said:

@jh_aurologic said:

@DataWagon said:

@jh_aurologic said:

@jbiloh said:

Null route = DDOS problem solved :D

• matey0matey0 Member

@Moopah said:

@MrRadic said:

@jh_aurologic said:

@DataWagon said:

@jh_aurologic said:

@jbiloh said:

Solves the attacker's problem and creates a new one for the customer

@MrRadic said:

Writing filters manually sounds definitively wrong nowadays.

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

@jh_aurologic said:

@MrRadic said:

Without a doubt, but without doing a deep dive, this is all just assumptions.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

@jh_aurologic said:

@MrRadic said:

Relying on defining filters is definatively wrong. Writing filters to deal with 90% of the stuff out there generated by basic scripts? Sure go nuts.

Thanked by 1jh_aurologic
  • CybrCybr Member

@Moopah said:

Assisting the attacker by taking down the services they are attacking entirely is essentially just amplifying their attack, since they're targeting specific services not a data center. It's understandable that hosts need to protect their network and prevent attacks from impacting unrelated customers if they have no actual mitigation capabilities, but you can't call it a solution.