Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Telia kicks out Path due to a mountain of unpaid bills. - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Telia kicks out Path due to a mountain of unpaid bills.

Comments

• @Not_Oles said:
    Just looking at this thread. Who is Amy? Thanks!

Amy is frozen aka Victor.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • I read through this entire thread but still am confused: Are we looking at a potential deadpool or just bad management? (or both?)

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 18

@PineappleM said:
    I read through this entire thread but still am confused: Are we looking at a potential deadpool or just bad management? (or both?)

Bad management and criminals. Nothing new. If a company like them were to be doing critically bad they would simply be bought up by one their large customers or something probably.

• avelineaveline Member, Patron Provider

@nanankcornering said:

@aveline said: Telia / Arelion is also shitty in EU & US and we've been making jokes about it for a few months. US West - East congestion at least once a month, US - EU congestion and EU congestion every week ... E.g. latency between LAX and FRA was around 2000 an hour ago.

Talking about Telia.....

Everyone has problems between Europe and Asia lately, but Arelion has more problems on other paths. For Europe - Asia we got many alerts as PCCW's backbone got overloaded ... we use PCCW Console Connect for OOB access :/.

• @aveline said: Everyone has problems between Europe and Asia lately, but Arelion has more problems on other paths.

I wonder why transits are struggling between EU<->APAC. SMW5/AAE-1 seems fine.

I only know HK<->Tokyo cables are down.

• ehhthingehhthing Member
    edited February 18

@aveline said:

@nanankcornering said:

@aveline said: Telia / Arelion is also shitty in EU & US and we've been making jokes about it for a few months. US West - East congestion at least once a month, US - EU congestion and EU congestion every week ... E.g. latency between LAX and FRA was around 2000 an hour ago.

Talking about Telia.....

Everyone has problems between Europe and Asia lately, but Arelion has more problems on other paths. For Europe - Asia we got many alerts as PCCW's backbone got overloaded ... we use PCCW Console Connect for OOB access :/.

How's RETN doing with their HKG <-> EU route? I haven't personally seen any problems, but I'm a bit curious.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited February 20

Chat between Amy and Marshal after GSK (Currently known as Cosmic Guard) started doing better in the anti-ddos market.

Marshal was supposedly immediately suspicious of everyone because he cant even consider the idea, that others can also have skills to come into his market share and become a competitor.

Thanked by 3kait emgh Shade
  • Stupid question - what chat app is that? Never seen it before.

• LeviLevi Member

Holy shit, that's a quality drama! Can someone tl;dr the whole debacle? Path imploding?

• CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider

@nanankcornering said: Stupid question - what chat app is that? Never seen it before.

>

Signal

• kaitkait Member

@Levi said: Path imploding?

Path = Alright ddos protection
    Path Management = Drug adicts, DDoS Skids, Pedos, Criminals

• LeviLevi Member

@kait said:

@Levi said: Path imploding?

Path = Alright ddos protection
    Path Management = Drug adicts, DDoS Skids, Pedos, Criminals

There is no path without people. Path is people. If they are going down - it is a gg.

• kaitkait Member

@Levi said: There is no path without people. Path is people. If they are going down - it is a gg.

I hope they will go down, all the illegal shit they have done is insane.

They literally DDoS providers that want to leave so they stay. They try to compromise competitors or hosting companies. They default on bills very often.

Thanked by 1siemens
  • Curious what is going on with the LET providers that have been using Path -- have any of them changed their anti-DDoS partners? If so, what are they changing to?

• kaitkait Member

@jlet88 said:
    Curious what is going on with the LET providers that have been using Path -- have any of them changed their anti-DDoS partners? If so, what are they changing to?

AFAIK no one is changing untill Path kills themselves, but you can switch to, cosmicguard, datapacket (cdn77), Voxility, bytefilter (they are here somewhere)

Or if you have money to burn: Cloudflare (magic transit), G-Core

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • @kait said: AFAIK no one is changing untill Path kills themselves

Seems like that is exactly what they are doing. Maybe it's time for some LET providers to abandon ship before it sinks and causes their own customers headaches that could have been prevented? I know that if I ran a hosting business, I'd already have a transition plan ready to go.

• kaitkait Member

@jlet88 said:

@kait said: AFAIK no one is changing untill Path kills themselves

Seems like that is exactly what they are doing. Maybe it's time for some LET providers to abandon ship before it sinks and causes their own customers headaches that could have been prevented? I know that if I ran a hosting business, I'd already have a transition plan ready to go.

There are providers planning on moving away, but not many and it's a long process. Having a plan is key but we are on LET so I dont expect much.

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • SilverCreekSilverCreek Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 20

@kait said:

@jlet88 said:
    Curious what is going on with the LET providers that have been using Path -- have any of them changed their anti-DDoS partners? If so, what are they changing to?

AFAIK no one is changing untill Path kills themselves, but you can switch to, cosmicguard, datapacket (cdn77), Voxility, bytefilter (they are here somewhere)

Or if you have money to burn: Cloudflare (magic transit), G-Core

Thanks for the mention (operator of bytefilter here) - always happy to chat!

• Cloudflare is maybe the only global alternative to Path. And the prices differences is huge compared to Path. Even Voxility has a small footprint- compared to Path in Asia for example. Or some one else on the market?

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@kenwong said:
    Cloudflare is maybe the only global alternative to Path. And the prices differences is huge compared to Path. Even Voxility has a small footprint- compared to Path in Asia for example. Or some one else on the market?

GlobalSecureLayer (GSL) has been excellent on the networks/locations that I use with them.

Thanked by 1kenwong
  • @kenwong said: Cloudflare is maybe the only global alternative to Path. And the prices differences is huge compared to Path. Even Voxility has a small footprint- compared to Path in Asia for example. Or some one else on the market?

You could say that Cloudflare is a completely different thing than Path.net. Path is focused on protecting game servers and selling servers mostly for gamers, their filters for the web application layer work poorly and I don't think they're out of beta yet. Cloudflare, however, "works great" as application protection, you can register domains there, use the S3 alternative or rewrite traffic request to applications using workers. You will have a hard time hosting a game server on cloudflare. Of course, there is something like Cloudflare Spectrum, but it is a terribly expensive solution.

Cosmic Guard, HyperFilter, PHP-Friends/Avoro, there are many alternatives on the market, but Path.net was the best at mitigating attacks related to game servers. Now, unfortunately, Cosmic Guard is a better solution.

• @kenwong said:
    Cloudflare is maybe the only global alternative to Path. And the prices differences is huge compared to Path. Even Voxility has a small footprint- compared to Path in Asia for example. Or some one else on the market?

Yeah path has a lot more locations than most of its competition, but that's also a big part of why their competition is doing fine while path is entirely penniless. Someone like CDN77 has way more points of presence compared to Path, and pretty OK protection. That's where I see a lot of the Path customers in more edge locations moving to.

Thanked by 1kenwong
  • dataforestdataforest Member, Patron Provider

I think it's time for self-developed dataforest Protection ;)

Thanked by 2kenwong emgh
  • @Hotmarer said:

@kenwong said: Cloudflare is maybe the only global alternative to Path. And the prices differences is huge compared to Path. Even Voxility has a small footprint- compared to Path in Asia for example. Or some one else on the market?

You could say that Cloudflare is a completely different thing than Path.net. Path is focused on protecting game servers and selling servers mostly for gamers, their filters for the web application layer work poorly and I don't think they're out of beta yet. Cloudflare, however, "works great" as application protection, you can register domains there, use the S3 alternative or rewrite traffic request to applications using workers. You will have a hard time hosting a game server on cloudflare. Of course, there is something like Cloudflare Spectrum, but it is a terribly expensive solution.

Cosmic Guard, HyperFilter, PHP-Friends/Avoro, there are many alternatives on the market, but Path.net was the best at mitigating attacks related to game servers. Now, unfortunately, Cosmic Guard is a better solution.

Cosmic Guard looks great. But https://www.peeringdb.com/net/21075 they have basically until now a very small footprint. Outside EU / US no chance for proper connection. And even within EU / US only a few POPs to Connect. Yes I know the tunnel stuff - but thats .... I know it's not easy to build out POPs quick. But thats what needed.

Cloudflare Magic Transit is an option but yes it's expensive compared to Path.

In the end I don't see Path going down yet. But maybe I am too optimistic. Let's see what the next weeks - months will happen.

• @fluffernutter said:

@kenwong said:

Yeah path has a lot more locations than most of its competition, but that's also a big part of why their competition is doing fine while path is entirely penniless. Someone like CDN77 has way more points of presence compared to Path, and pretty OK protection. That's where I see a lot of the Path customers in more edge locations moving to.

DataCamp isn't really providing it as a service or? I think you still need to use their bare metal servers or at least their transit? Not 100% sure about it. I am not pro or against Path. Just like we can Connect at many POPs. Voxility second best option there. Hope Cosmic can expand their network. But we never put all eggs into one basked. In the end I think there is not the one fits all best solution.

• @kenwong said: In the end I don't see Path going down yet.

It's interesting to read any optimism at all for a company with leadership/executives/staff that appear to behave the way they do, based on the info presented. I'd already be on my way outta there, but hats off to you for your optimism. Maybe they will turn it around. But human nature being what it is, there's a pretty good chance they won't turn it around. I hope you're right, and good on you, you have more faith in them than I do.

• @jlet88 said:

@kenwong said: In the end I don't see Path going down yet.

It's interesting to read any optimism at all for a company with leadership/executives/staff that appear to behave the way they do, based on the info presented. I'd already be on my way outta there, but hats off to you for your optimism. Maybe they will turn it around. But human nature being what it is, there's a pretty good chance they won't turn it around. I hope you're right, and good on you, you have more faith in them than I do.

I couldn't say anything negative about them. They are super quick on support, sales and even the CEO answers in seconds. Yes sometimes a bit chaotic. But yes I am an optimist :smile: But as mentioned before we never put anything in one nest. So even if they are going down. We have Voxility and others already connected.

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • stefemanstefeman Member
    edited February 20

@jlet88 said:

I actually agree with him. They have too good product in unique market niche to just crumble even with all this drama and mismanagement. Legal stuff takes time to settle and unpaid invoices are not really a problem as long as they keep jumping datacenters and paying some of the fees.

Many of their customers are basically married to them at this point even if they are annoyed about it.

I like drama, but the above needs to be said as im a realist in the end.

Thanked by 2kenwong jlet88
  • dataforestdataforest Member, Patron Provider

@kenwong said:

@jlet88 said:

I couldn't say anything negative about them. They are super quick on support, sales and even the CEO answers in seconds. Yes sometimes a bit chaotic. But yes I am an optimist :smile: But as mentioned before we never put anything in one nest. So even if they are going down. We have Voxility and others already connected.

Funny, we had exactly the opposite. Lots of chaos, slow response times, bitchy employees and ultimately no solutions to acute problems.

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • @kenwong said:

@fluffernutter said:

@kenwong said:

DataCamp isn't really providing it as a service or? I think you still need to use their bare metal servers or at least their transit? Not 100% sure about it. I am not pro or against Path. Just like we can Connect at many POPs. Voxility second best option there. Hope Cosmic can expand their network. But we never put all eggs into one basked. In the end I think there is not the one fits all best solution.

HI,

This is Ren with Cosmic, where would you like to see us next? Please list in order of preference.

Thanked by 2emgh ChrisMiller
This discussion has been closed.