Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

dedipath Closure of Business - Page 17
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

dedipath Closure of Business

1111213141517»

Comments

• A little OT but how do you motivate buying colo?

For some reason, I want to, but I have a hard time justifying paying for hardware only to increase my monthy costs and get worse network (mostly bandwidth) compared to just renting a dedi

Thanked by 1sebkehl
  • AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2023

@emgh said:
    A little OT but how do you motivate buying colo?

For some reason, I want to, but I have a hard time justifying paying for hardware only to increase my monthy costs and get worse network (mostly bandwidth) compared to just renting a dedi

It's not worth it for most people, especially if you have an older server. 1U colocation is typically a bit expensive because it requires a lot of management (i.e. racking, deracking, fees, network setup, etc), so it's not worth it for a lot of providers. 1U colocation will start to make sense with more expensive hardware, like maybe EPYC or 7950X, but even then renting is still typically more worth it. One big advantage is that you'll have a lot of flexibility over the server configuration itself, like drives, CPU, RAM, etc.

If you have a full rack or similar and a bunch of servers to colocate, that's where it starts to make the most sense.

Thanked by 2maverick emgh
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@emgh said: For some reason, I want to, but I have a hard time justifying paying for hardware only to increase my monthy costs and get worse network (mostly bandwidth) compared to just renting a dedi

Colo doesn't really work for a single node unless you have some high priced features in the unit.

Once you get to 10 - 15 nodes in 1 location then colo starts to work.

Francisco

• @emgh said:

Colo is plenty worth for powerful and relatively old hardware, eg. 2680v4 servers, with a sizeable amount of RAM.

Thanked by 2emgh Zurg
  • emghemgh Member
    edited September 2023

very helpful!

Yeah, I can see how it makes sense at higher volumes

I guess it takes even more volume to me living in Sweden to be worth it, here, I can only choose between a few small and expensive DC’s (or ship the servers and pay for remote hands)

The latency for my use-case isn’t very important, so I have no problem renting in Amsterdam, Frankfurt, wherever really - so there’s so much more competition in that regard

Thanked by 1Val
  • LeifurGunnarssonLeifurGunnarsson Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2023

@emgh said:
    very helpful!

I guess it takes even more volume to me living in Sweden to be worth it, here, I can only choose between a few small and expensive DC’s (or ship the servers and pay for remote hands)

The latency for my use-case isn’t very important, so I have no problem renting in Amsterdam, Frankfurt, wherever really - so there’s so much more competition in that regard

Try talking to these guys if you want to reduce shipping costs - https://swehosting.se/. They said they're able to do affordable stuff in Sweden.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

For me it made sense even for 1U as I used to live in the same town. Of course, over time it grew to 4U, but the costs per unit were the same, I was going over there, racking my server, etc.
    When you have to ship all over the world, though, that is a completely different thing and I don't think it is worth it for less than 1 rack. Once you have your own rack and a wholesale deal with COGENT, for example, where BW is spread over multiple locations, then you have some freedom to organize stuff in such a way that you would start to have some economies of scale.

Leasing begins to be worth it as well as the insurance that comes with it.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • PureVoltagePureVoltage Member, Patron Provider

@emgh said:

Profits from colocation are far less than dedicated servers which is why bandwidth is typically a lot cheaper / more given on dedicated servers.

1U / 2U can be profitable depending on the market and your system being used. However, it really starts to make sense when you scale up to a full rack or more and even then depending on things it's not always cheaper either.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @LeifurGunnarsson said:

@emgh said:
    very helpful!

Try talking to these guys if you want to reduce shipping costs - https://swehosting.se/. They said they're able to do affordable stuff in Sweden.

Don’t wanna expose him or anything, but I host stuff for a small but growing startup with an increasing revenue, and so it’s not a small personal project or anything

Their revenue is very low and he’s not 18 so we couldn’t even sign a contract

So in all honesty, could be great, think ther with Obe, but sadly not really fitting

• @PureVoltage said:

@emgh said:

Profits from colocation are far less than dedicated servers which is why bandwidth is typically a lot cheaper / more given on dedicated servers.

Yes, here in Sweden at least colo is honestly not that expensive, until you look at the bandwidth, that’s where it gets very expensive, very quick

And internet here isn’t even expensive to buy generally, not even enterprise internet (100 Gbit from Bahnhof starts at 1 642 EUR), but on colo extremely little is included (either low speeds or low allocation) and overages are very expensive

Bahnhof includes 1 Mbit…

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@emgh said: Bahnhof includes 1 Mbit…

LOL :D

Thanked by 1emgh
  • georgedatacentergeorgedatacenter Member, Patron Provider

flexential seems to have already disconnected everything

Thanked by 1zdgood
  • @ehhthing said: Nice to know that y'all have been marking the emails from Quadranet as spam.

>
    maybe fake domain? i receive one from dedipath.cn xD

• LeifurGunnarssonLeifurGunnarsson Member, Host Rep

@emgh said:

@LeifurGunnarsson said:

@emgh said:
    very helpful!

Don’t wanna expose him or anything, but I host stuff for a small but growing startup with an increasing revenue, and so it’s not a small personal project or anything

So in all honesty, could be great, think ther with Obe, but sadly not really fitting

Woah, didn't know that sorry.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @LeifurGunnarsson said:

@emgh said:

@LeifurGunnarsson said:

@emgh said:
    very helpful!

Woah, didn't know that sorry.

Haha no worries❤️