Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ā€ŗ dedipath Closure of Business - Page 13
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

dedipath Closure of Business

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@tdaddysimi said: I figured they could just leave the announcing all alone in its entirety since it was still halfway reachable, but thats beside the point now.

You're assuming they were paid in full here. There's a good chance that they're owed past dues as well and so they might as well pull it to try to recoup. If the range is working, it's because it's still getting announced by Dedipath's routers, not because of anything on IPXO's end.

IPXO will send out C&D's to those upstreams soon to pull those announcements too. If you can get your data, do it now.

The only vendors/people that probably got paid on time are ones that are strict with their billing days and don't give grace periods. Licenses that get automatically suspended, some dedicated server providers if they were just leasing, etc.

Every vendor is now aware that it's very unlikely they're going to see another dime.

I know i'm coming off cold, but i'm hoping people work quickly to get their data/hardware out of there before it ends tied up in a lawsuit from whomever Dedipath was leasing hardware from (datasales, etc).

Don't get me wrong, I feel terrible for all of you, but after the "configuration error" or whatever they claimed back in June, it seems only @EthernetServers & @HostEONS had the spidey sense to get the fuck outta dodge. I know @HostEONs is a fossil in the hosting industry, so hes seen this more times than he can count i'm sure.

Francisco

• crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@Francisco said:

@abrahamj said: LSN is priced higher than DediPath was.

Everyone is, because most don't operate at a loss. I've had wild price match emails come in. People with 20 - 30 IP's for $8/month for instance.

Francisco

Some of the price match quotes have blown me away. I can't even counter-quote, it's just too far off reality. I personally had no idea they were that... aggressively priced.

Says a lot when the people selling a yearly for $8.69 can't price match you.

@crunchbits said: Some of the price match quotes have blown me away. I can't even counter-quote, it's just too far off reality. I personally had no idea they were that... aggressively priced.

You know what the wildest part of what I listed was? Dedipath owns basically no IP space. They have a handful of 4.10 space, that's it. Those IP's were 100% leased.

I think they used to get a ton of IP's from INAP, but once INAP->Evocative, it looks like they renumbered into IPXO space that is billed at fair market rates.

Francisco

• PureVoltagePureVoltage Member, Patron Provider

@Francisco said:

@tdaddysimi said: I figured they could just leave the announcing all alone in its entirety since it was still halfway reachable, but thats beside the point now.

You're assuming they were paid in full here. There's a good chance that they're owed past dues as well and so they might as well pull it to try to recoup. If the range is working, it's because it's still getting announced by Dedipath's routers, not because of anything on IPXO's end.

IPXO will send out C&D's to those upstreams soon to pull those announcements too. If you can get your data, do it now.

The only vendors/people that probably got paid on time are ones that are strict with their billing days and don't give grace periods. Licenses that get automatically suspended, some dedicated server providers if they were just leasing, etc.

Every vendor is now aware that it's very unlikely they're going to see another dime.

I know i'm coming off cold, but i'm hoping people work quickly to get their data/hardware out of there before it ends tied up in a lawsuit from whomever Dedipath was leasing hardware from (datasales, etc).

Don't get me wrong, I feel terrible for all of you, but after the "configuration error" or whatever they claimed back in June, it seems only @EthernetServers & @HostEONS had the spidey sense to get the fuck outta dodge. I know @HostEONs is a fossil in the hosting industry, so hes seen this more times than he can count i'm sure.

Francisco

Yup I think a few of us called it when this happen back then. You don't just break the router in multiple locations and take everything down. This was clearly they most likely owed bills to the data centers for months and they finally cut them off. Causing the outage then finally them shutting down.

My guess is datasales or another company is going to be going after to get the equipment when legal gets involved in this it's going to be a real nightmare.

• dedipath.com completely offline now

• Don't feel for anyone once all the lawyers get involved. Good luck to everyone scrambling to get out before that happens.

• PureVoltagePureVoltage Member, Patron Provider

@crunchbits said:

@Francisco said:

@abrahamj said: LSN is priced higher than DediPath was.

Everyone is, because most don't operate at a loss. I've had wild price match emails come in. People with 20 - 30 IP's for $8/month for instance.

Francisco

Some of the price match quotes have blown me away. I can't even counter-quote, it's just too far off reality. I personally had no idea they were that... aggressively priced.

We seen this with a few of the colocation quotes. Like sure we could maybe match some if we didn't want to profit a penny. Typically providers will give out these killer deals because they either committed to more space than they can take and are bleeding already or they got some stupid deals and then prices went up.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@crunchbits said:

Well, I received one offer that matches the below price.
    Same RAM, but IPv6 only and 60% diks, in Singapore.

@yoursunny said:
    Who can price-match my NVMe2G?

• jfreak53jfreak53 Member, Patron Provider

@crunchbits said:
    aggressively priced.

That needed quotes, I can think of a few better terms for their pricing šŸ˜‚

There is a reason they went out. I'm all for helping, but as Francisco said earlier, I'm not going outta business in 6 months to do it (paraphrased).

Their pricing was brainwashed in some, not all, some instances. And its unrealistic to expect good providers to bend over backwords because X company made some silly mistakes on pricing.

Big question I asked one person who gawked, "do you want us to still be here hosting your data in a year, or do you want to do this all over again a year from now?".

Thanked by 2crunchbits Zurg
    edited September 2023

There we go šŸ˜‚

@jfreak53 said:
    Big question I asked one person who gawked, "do you want us to still be here hosting your data in a year, or do you want to do this all over again a year from now?".

Other than my main website and the Seafile server, I'll gladly take an unsustainable deal because most of my applications are fully redundant that I can easily redeploy to another unsustainable deal.

Thanked by 1PineappleM

@yoursunny said:

@jfreak53 said:

Other than my main website and the Seafile server, I'll gladly take an unsustainable deal because most of my applications are fully redundant that I can easily redeploy to another unsustainable deal.

To each his own I guess šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø I've been in business for 22 years and that's not how I do any deal for my own sanity. To each his own I guess.

• crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@jfreak53 said:

@yoursunny said:

@jfreak53 said:

To each his own I guess šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø I've been in business for 22 years and that's not how I do any deal for my own sanity. To each his own I guess.

Don't let him fool you, he only pays in videos of no-handed pushups.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Francisco said: You can't announce less than a /28 over BGP.

Yet...

Thanked by 1Francisco

@Maounique said:

Yet...

Oh it's coming, it's coming.... Not sure if it'll be /28's, but /27's at least.

Francisco

• EntityHostingEntityHosting Member
    edited September 2023

Sucks to see this happen. I kind of liked Dedipath :neutral:

While I cannot help with hosting services, I might be be able to help with claiming physical equipment out of their Vegas location. Please msg me, I might be able to spare a weekend to help since it's not too far out from me.

-Alex C

@Maounique said:

Yet...

I'm building new IXP.
    You can announce IPv4 /32 and IPv6 /128 only.
    Other prefix sizes are filtered.
    Routing table size be like ā€¦

Thanked by 2Francisco fart
    edited September 2023

@Francisco said: Oh it's coming, it's coming.... Not sure if it'll be /28's, but /27's at least.

I wonder which routing table would end up bigger, v4 or v6.

• @PureVoltage said: Typically providers will give out these killer deals because they either committed to more space than they can take

Dallas suite was empty just two months ago. I think I know why and rumor has it that provider is on the downhill too.

@Maounique said:

@Francisco said: Oh it's coming, it's coming.... Not sure if it'll be /28's, but /27's at least.

I wonder which routing table would end up bigger, v4 or v6.

Would be a pretty nerdy thread if @jbiloh @raindog308 etc want to split this off.

v6 has the potential if you get a lot of /48 ranges announced, but most places announce their supernet. BuyVM has a single /29 and that covers all of our DC's and then some. Many other DC's run a single /32 or even just single /48's.

Francisco

Thanked by 2yoursunny fart
    edited September 2023

@Francisco said: Would be a pretty nerdy thread if @jbiloh @raindog308 etc want to split this off.

Why the fuck are we here for if not for that :P

@Francisco said: v6 has the potential if you get a lot of /48 ranges announced, but most places announce their supernet. BuyVM has a single /29 and that covers all of our DC's and then some.

I would bet on the v4 as the fragmentation increases and the further split of /24s would certainly kick the process into a higher gear.
    As v6 is still unallocated (and would probably be so for the next 100 years or more), fragmentation is unlikely to occur at the same pace, it is like an old HDD, the fuller that it is the more fragmented that the stored data becomes.

@Francisco said: Many other DC's run a single /32 or even just single /48's.

I think Serverius runs on a /64 since they can't afford to route our v6 though a full /64 but only through an /127 creating issues with our newest routers which insist on a /64 (and rightly so).

P.S. I vote for the split, it has nothing to do with the demise of Dedipath.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@yoursunny said:
    Well, I received one offer that matches the below price.
    Same RAM, but IPv6 only and 60% diks, in Singapore.

Now where's the link?

edited September 2023

@yoursunny said: but IPv6 only

Real men tunnel everything at least for the sake of isolating and encrypting if no other reason is at hand.

@FAT32 said: Now where's the link?

Sharing is caring.

• I'm curious about how many providers will follow the same path as Dedipath before the year ends.

By the way, that recent 100-year plan from WordPress seems quite unusual to me: "One payment. A hundred years of legacy. $38,000."

Thanked by 1fart
  • cyxapukcyxapuk Member, Host Rep

@axman said:
    I've partially lost LA - same as reported at above, IPXO addresses. The LVNET ones are still going.

LVNET ips (which are almost 1/3) will go down on Monday

• @crunchbits said:

@jfreak53 said:

@yoursunny said:

@jfreak53 said:

Don't let him fool you, he only pays in videos of no-handed pushups.

Polyester pants are tough.

• @chihcherng said:
    I'm curious about how many providers will follow the same path as Dedipath before the year ends.

My guess is that the smaller providers that hosted with Dedipath will follow soon. They have to find new hosting that will most likely be a lot more expensive than Dedipath was and the outage causes existing customers to leave. A perfect storm.

The bigger ones on par with Dedipath just lost a price pressing competitor, so they will be just fine. They will probably gain a few new customers from the Dedipath refugees.

Thanked by 1crunchbits
  • conceptconcept Member
    edited September 2023

I wonder if someone else can match this. Also looking for NY location
    Intel Xeon E5-2630L
    4GB RAM
    250GB HDD
    4 Cores
    1Gbps Unmetered Bandwidth (333TB)
    10Tbps DDoS Protection
    1 x IPV4

• HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

Anybody got success with getting access to their gear with Evocative yet ?

• jizbeljizbel Member, Patron Provider

Hi, if anyone need dedicated servers or VPS either at Kansas City or San Francisco, feel free to reach out to us(https://f4.fo/). Iā€™m also based out of the Bay Area if you need help with migration.

Thanked by 1yoursunny