Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OFFICIAL R-A-I-N-D-O-G 20K THREAD -- $13.69 per year // GIVEAWAYS! // Once they're gone, that's it.. - Page 22
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OFFICIAL R-A-I-N-D-O-G 20K THREAD -- $13.69 per year // GIVEAWAYS! // Once they're gone, that's it..

Comments

• @szymonp said:

@Don_Keedic said: 95% of the people asking for the port upgrades aren't even eligible lol

90% of the buyers are probably MJJ's hoping for good ping to asia from us-west lol

the route of HE.net is rubbish, so don't expect much :# :D

• Good morning sirs, please MANGILLA-size my port. Order 9025544563

• @hotsnow said:

@szymonp said:

@Don_Keedic said: 95% of the people asking for the port upgrades aren't even eligible lol

90% of the buyers are probably MJJ's hoping for good ping to asia from us-west lol

the route of HE.net is rubbish, so don't expect much :# :D

It seems fine for EU thankfully, 150ms is decent for west coast I think

• Thanked by 1crunchbits
  • Good morning sirs, please MANGILLA-size my port. Order 4461830827

• Looks like my port has been upgraded.

Thanked by 2PieHasBeenEaten bdl
  • crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host
    edited August 2023

@foitin said:
    seems that @crunchbits made several mistakes here.
    a. offer paypal gateway to new users. not hard to imagine dispute shitshow coming.
    b. upgradable port speed. even 250Mbps is like calling for abusers. 1Gbps? shouldve been below 100Mbps and upgradable to behaving old users only.

@bdl said:
    c. allow orders from the Hundred Acre Wood :smile:

That being said, however - seems like @crunchbits is actively using their MANGILLA-sized ban hammer when applicable, and that can only be a good thing.

@alexlu said:

Agreed. The most efficient way to avoid hostloc and nodeseek mjj is not to support PayPal. Otherwise, there will definitely be disputes, 100% @crunchbits

I'm not a huge fan of PayPal's historic policies, in fact we didn't even allow them on our first small/VPS-facing offers here. However, a lot of people (rightfully) use them for protection and I don't blame them. Not too long ago they actually saved us as I think a decent sized 2nd hand hardware retailer here in the US is in the middle of quietly involucrating. After ~50 days of being promised a refund finally had to use the Paypal route.

@Greyhound said:

Should leave the LET username in additional notes, and manually active the service by leaving the order number here for verification.

It'll be something like this. I don't really want to keep a database, so something we can whitelist and forget.

@Don_Keedic said:

@MatthewM said:
    Why have so many people just posted, ignoring what crunchbits, just said?

Flash deals/giveaways are literally just a horde of people parroting whatever they think is going to get them free/cheap stuff. They read the comments on the first page, copy/paste, post. They don't go through the comment section to read anything because they don't care, they've got FOMO and they want stuff.

There's maybe 20-30 core group of people here who seem to post regularly. If you look at the initial post "thanked" count, it's at 173. I've never seen anywhere near that number participate in a regular thread here.

95% of the people asking for the port upgrades aren't even eligible lol

That is part of the fun, besides genuinely recognizing the amount of effort it takes for raindog & the 10k+ crew to get there--many years of contributing and improving--it's also very useful to see exactly how many active accounts and how wide things can go. Kind of like a radionuclide scan but for LET. It helps shape what should be offered here versus targeted at other places to avoid having a lot of effort put in and getting a big whiff on a deal.

We've been pretty strict on the upgrades if the basic rules can't be followed. They'll probably just keep re-posting it thinking we didn't see it, but as long as you followed the steps and/or met the criteria a 1G port can be had.

@szymonp said:

While some of our routes are definitely better optimized for APAC traffic (mainly cogent, and I expect the *TT's when they light the port), they'll be pretty upset when they see these specials are almost certainly going to prefer the AS path with HE. HE indirectly serves as a relatively decent filter in that regard.

@MatthewM said:
    I think its much lower as it took a while for someone to post it to Hostloc. Though, I hope they have researched this and are not going to give crunchbits a bunch of trouble (its ultimately uses HE for most routes and its of cause yearly, meaning IPs getting blocked by the CCP).

No, it was shared to hostloc/others within half an hour of the OP. I'm not against customers from those sites, still the majority are fine and if the services aren't what they need they can simply shoot over a ticket asking for a refund. It's the 10-20% that are belligerent, extremely entitled, or purposely ignoring and breaking all AUP/TOS which seem to make most providers blanket ban them. On a deal like this for $13.69/yr there isn't much wiggle room. Of course, our normal ticket load is quite low and someone genuinely needing help or just curious about services/hardware is welcome to open a ticket. We're not going to discriminate based on dollars, but some understanding between the difference of asking if we can vs demanding us to 'improve China Unicom' route goes a long way.

@szymonp said:
    It seems fine for EU thankfully, 150ms is decent for west coast I think

Yep. Despite some other hangups, HE's domestic (and EU) network/peering really are not bad at all. Specific to our location, HE is useful as the traffic can route east/north without bouncing off Seattle first which makes a big difference on certain North American and European connections. It's specifically China Unicom and another Chinese carrier--some sort of bottleneck wherever HE is handing off/peering with them.

Forgot to add: The idea here is to have some fun, offer up some pretty low priced deals, and make sure we give @raindog308 notification PTSD. I expect things specific to the yearly deals to stabilize further over the coming days as troublemakers are booted.

Thanked by 3Caxen bermudi maverick
  • Is this out of stock now?
    It says -69 available.
    If it's out of stock, is there any chance it would get restocked?

• @crunchbits said: Not too long ago they actually saved us as I think a decent sized 2nd hand hardware retailer here in the US is in the middle of quietly involucrating. After ~50 days of being promised a refund finally had to use the Paypal route.

to be fair a normal chargeback on a credit card would have worked as well

@szymonp said:

@crunchbits said: Not too long ago they actually saved us as I think a decent sized 2nd hand hardware retailer here in the US is in the middle of quietly involucrating. After ~50 days of being promised a refund finally had to use the Paypal route.

to be fair a normal chargeback on a credit card would have worked as well

It would have, but it's a vendor we've done tens of thousands of dollars of business with over the course of almost 2 years. In fact, we normally just ACH/wire (and take the ~5% discount). For whatever reason, this one time I paid with Paypal as the order was a bit smaller and thankfully I did.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

Ahh darn it, I missed out on this!

• @risharde said: Ahh darn it, I missed out on this!

You haven't lost much. The network is totally shit. VPS has the worst uptime I have ever seen for these 2 days.

Thanked by 1crunchbits
  • THANKS @raindog308! HERES TO ANOTHER 20K 🤓

• @Azenot Well you can happily get that refund! Did you ask for one?

• @PieHasBeenEaten said: @Azenot Well you can happily get that refund! Did you ask for one?

No, thanks) I hope you will fix this problem) I was ready for temporary shit for this price.

@Azenot said:

@PieHasBeenEaten said: @Azenot Well you can happily get that refund! Did you ask for one?

No, thanks) I hope you will fix this problem) I was ready for temporary shit for this price.

If it's still continuing, you should open a ticket and have us look into it. Can't fix what we don't know.

The initial surge of orders was frankly too much for back-end and provisioning systems to handle and we ended up with some strange corruption/timeout issues leading into unknown bugs. That is why the second release of stock was tiered. All of the issues have been documented and reported upstream, but there are still a few straggler VMs that we've had to destroy and recreate to fix.

Otherwise, we have no actual network or infrastructure issues (and haven't) minus some abusers causing hiccups local to a hypervisor. If the network is shit because you're trying to send data through the great firewall to China Unicom or wherever, that probably won't be fixed and might as well refund.

Thanked by 3Carlin0 Azenot nick_
  • AzenotAzenot Member
    edited August 2023

@crunchbits said: If it's still continuing, you should open a ticket and have us look into it. Can't fix what we don't know.

I thought it was a global problem. I will open a ticket shortly.

@crunchbits said: If the network is shit because you're trying to send data through the great firewall to China Unicom or wherever, that probably won't be fixed and might as well refund.

No, I'm from East Europe.

My uptime statistic from HetrixTools

@Azenot said:

@crunchbits said: If it's still continuing, you should open a ticket and have us look into it. Can't fix what we don't know.

I thought it was a global problem. I will open a ticket shortly.

@crunchbits said: If the network is shit because you're trying to send data through the great firewall to China Unicom or wherever, that probably won't be fixed and might as well refund.

No, I'm from East Europe.

My uptime statistic from HetrixTools

Definitely open a ticket then. No outages, but you might be one of the VMs that is affected and needs to be recreated.

Thanked by 1Azenot
  • tuctuc Member

THANKS @raindog308! HERES TO ANOTHER 20K 🤓

• AzenotAzenot Member
    edited August 2023

@crunchbits said: Definitely open a ticket then. No outages, but you might be one of the VMs that is affected and needs to be recreated.

Thanks for the quick help with the network issue! Eric helped me solve this problem. My apologies for the message about the shit network.

Thanked by 1crunchbits

@Azenot said:

@crunchbits said: Definitely open a ticket then. No outages, but you might be one of the VMs that is affected and needs to be recreated.

Thanks for the quick help with the network issue! Eric helped me solve this problem. My apologies for the message about the shit network.

Well, to be fair what you were experiencing was shit. :)

Thanked by 1Azenot
  • C'mon guys, I also have some networking issues, clean Debian 12 install, it just randomly dissapears from network. If it's a known thing, share the knowledge here, spare yourself from many tickets. :)

I'm not in a hurry, I intend to play with the VPS later this week, too busy right know with other stuff. And wouldn't want to overload your ticket queue at the moment anyway...

@maverick said:
    C'mon guys, I also have some networking issues, clean Debian 12 install, it just randomly dissapears from network. If it's a known thing, share the knowledge here, spare yourself from many tickets. :)

I'm not in a hurry, I intend to play with the VPS later this week, too busy right know with other stuff. And wouldn't want to overload your ticket queue at the moment anyway...

It's not a known thing. It's a newly found bug that affects a peculiar range of machines from when I first opened the floodgates. It's all theoretical at the moment, but the working theory is we inadvertently found a choke-point in the provisioning process which corrupted/partially corrupted qcow2 images and makes libvirt or qemu become unresponsive for bursts and affects multiple VMs on the same host. On our side, everything looks fine: hypervisor is good, network is good, your VMs are reporting as 'running'.

Don't worry about overloading ticket queue. It's there to be used. Right now the queue is 0 with everything responded or in-progress. Better to open it and give us time to work on it just in case.

Thanked by 2maverick bdl

• @crunchbits said: Don't worry about overloading ticket queue. It's there to be used. Right now the queue is 0 with everything responded or in-progress. Better to open it and give us time to work on it just in case.

OK, boss, if you say so...

Then I'll immediately report you another billing related bug (which might cost you money).

And tend to this networking issue in the next few days, when I find some time. I'll try to debug that alone first, always a chance to learn something new, and open another ticket only if I fail. :smile:

• @alexlu said:

seems that @crunchbits made several mistakes here.
    a. offer paypal gateway to new users. not hard to imagine dispute shitshow coming.
    b. upgradable port speed. even 250Mbps is like calling for abusers. 1Gbps? shouldve been below 100Mbps and upgradable to behaving old users only.

Agreed. The most efficient way to avoid hostloc and nodeseek mjj is not to support PayPal. Otherwise, there will definitely be disputes, 100% @crunchbits

But most people have credit cards, and it shouldn't be mjj that needs to be stopped but people who abuse vps

• @crunchbits how about holding a separate buyers-only raffle for doubling the disk space? :smiley: