Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IncogNET filed an official complaint against HE with the Attorney General of Washington State - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IncogNET filed an official complaint against HE with the Attorney General of Washington State

Comments

• @Arkas said: It's not up to you to be 'open' or closed to these checks.

Quite an ego you got there.

@Arkas said: We do our jobs

Are you being paid to do this "job"?

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member
    edited August 2023

@MannDude said:
    @SirFoxy , is KiwiFarms in the room with you now?

Your affinity for Kiwi Farms is weird, and you shouldn’t be personally angry. Business is business.

The article talks about a recently seized host operating in the same data center Kiwi Farms was just kicked out of, the same day.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2023

@SirFoxy said:

@MannDude said:

Your affinity for Kiwi Farms is weird, and you shouldn’t be personally angry. Business is business.

The article talks about a recently seized host operating in the same Data center Kiwi Farms was just kicked out of, the same day.

My affinity?

*Checks your LEB submissions *

Feel free to tally how many times I've mentioned them in this thread or elsewhere on LET or LEB and compare to your own mentions.

If my submissions are even half of yours, I'll donate an extra $100 to the EFF.

Thanked by 1sillycat
  • SirFoxySirFoxy Member
    edited August 2023

@MannDude said:

@SirFoxy said:

@MannDude said:

The article talks about a recently seized host operating in the same Data center Kiwi Farms was just kicked out of, the same day.

My affinity?

• Checks your LEB submissions *

Feel free to tally how many times I've mentioned them in this thread or elsewhere on LET or LEB and compare to your own mentions.

Two out of over 30 articles on LEB?

https://lowendbox.com/blog/author/sirfoxy/

Why are you sneeding so hard? It’s free speech.

• sillycatsillycat Member
    edited August 2023

@SirFoxy said:

@MannDude said:

@SirFoxy said:

@MannDude said:

My affinity?

sneeding

Since when do you use such offensive terms?

edited August 2023

@SirFoxy said:

@MannDude said:

@SirFoxy said:

@MannDude said:

My affinity?

"LOL why you so obsessed"

-"I'm not, you're the one writing articles about them."

"LOL yeah but just a couple, it's free speech"

I don't know if you were kicked in the head by a horse as a kid or what.

Anyway, the wheels of progress move slowly and we'll see what comes in the next few weeks while we wait for HE to respond. The last update from the EFF yesterday was that they're reaching out to HE as well because, and I quote, "we worry a lot about infrastructure level content interventions"

Thanked by 1sillycat
  • @MannDude said:

@SirFoxy said:

@MannDude said:

@SirFoxy said:

@MannDude said:

My affinity?

Anyway, the wheels of progress move slowly and we'll see what comes in the next few weeks while we wait for HE to respond. The last update from the EFF yesterday was that they're reaching out to HE as well because, and I quote, "we worry a lot about infrastructure level content interventions"

You literally mentioned me on this thread. Do you realize that?

edited August 2023

@SirFoxy said:

@MannDude said:

@SirFoxy said:

@MannDude said:

@SirFoxy said:

@MannDude said:

My affinity?

Yes, of course I realize that. It was like 20 minutes ago. In the event you're new to message forums, you were an active participant in recent discussion. I tagged you in a comment to make a joke at your expense. In case the joke didn't land with you, this can help: https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/is-x-in-the-room-with-us-right-now

• @MannDude said:

@SirFoxy said:

@MannDude said:

@SirFoxy said:

@MannDude said:

@SirFoxy said:

@MannDude said:

My affinity?

Yes, of course I realize that. It was like 20 minutes ago. In the event you're new to message forums, you were an active participant in recent discussion. I tagged you in it to comment to make a joke at your expense. In case the joke didn't land with you, this can help: https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/is-x-in-the-room-with-us-right-now

Please go outside. Thank you.

@SirFoxy said:

@MannDude said:

@SirFoxy said:

@MannDude said:

@SirFoxy said:

@MannDude said:

@SirFoxy said:

@MannDude said:

My affinity?

Yes, of course I realize that. It was like 20 minutes ago. In the event you're new to message forums, you were an active participant in recent discussion. I tagged you in it to comment to make a joke at your expense. In case the joke didn't land with you, this can help: https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/is-x-in-the-room-with-us-right-now

Comical considering I spend about half the daylight hours outside as is. The only thing I love as much or more than privacy and free speech is nature. :)

Thanked by 2sillycat kait
  • @MannDude said:

@SirFoxy said:

@MannDude said:

@SirFoxy said:

@MannDude said:

@SirFoxy said:

@MannDude said:

@SirFoxy said:

@MannDude said:

My affinity?

Comical considering I spend about half the daylight hours outside as is. The only thing I love as much or more than privacy and free speech is nature. :)

Gotta' learn to stop mixing emotions and business.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

Ok, If BOTH of you don't behave, this thread will be closed. You are 2 mature adults acting like kids. You have different points of view, yet there are many things that unite you, one of which is this forum.

• AeroRoutedAeroRouted Member
    edited August 2023

@Arkas said:
    Ok, If BOTH of you don't behave, this thread will be closed. You are 2 mature adults acting like kids. You have different points of view, yet there are many things that unite you, one of which is this forum.

The difference here is that one of the users is apparently a staff writer at lowendbox.com trying to paint a picture that anyone even vaguely related to this issue is evil and "promoting hate", while the other user is trying to run a completely legal "lowendbox" business. One of these things used to be the explicit goal of lowendbox.com and lowendtalk.com, but now the site is rebranding to be the morality police?

A staff writer is directly impacting the businesses on this website and trying to pick winners. How is that not a conflict of interest? How, long term, does that help the site or community? I'm sure in the short term it drives minor traffic and slight ad revenue increases. Can the owner start a Patreon instead if they so desperately need funding that moving to a tabloid format become a logical decision? I will honestly donate if it keeps politics off the site.

• @AeroRouted said:

@Arkas said:

The difference here is that one of the users is apparently a staff writer at lowendbox.com trying to paint a picture that anyone even vaguely related to this issue is evil and "promoting hate", while the other user is trying to run a completely legal "lowendbox" business. One of these things used to be the explicit goal of lowendbox.com and lowendtalk.com, but now the site is rebranding to be the morality police?

A staff writer is directly impacting the businesses on this website and trying to pick winners. How is that not a conflict of interest? How, long term, does that help the site or community? I'm sure in the short term it drives minor traffic and slight ad revenue increases. Can the owner start a Patreon instead if they so desperately need funding that moving to a tabloid format become a logical decision? I will honestly donate if it keeps politics off the site.

Almost all of my articles are opinion based under the "News & Editorial" category.

• @SirFoxy said:

@AeroRouted said:

@Arkas said:

Almost all of my articles are opinion based under the "News & Editorial" category.

You are not a writer for the New York Times and lowendbox.com is not a newspaper that can hide behind a "News & Editorial" hyperlink. By publishing these articles on the front page, lowendbox.com is taking the official stance that if you are even vaguely related to free speech topics, lowendbox.com will be trying to drive traffic and customers away from your service. This is a mind-bogglingly stupid stance to take for a site that solely exists to promote VPS service, but so be it.

If the owner is explicitly trying to rebrand to become yet another 'hot tech opinions' aggregator, fine, but lowendbox.com needs to be more honest about their biased tilt if so. God help you if you anger any of the "writers" and they then use their pulpit to try to destroy your business every week.

• @AeroRouted said:

@SirFoxy said:

@AeroRouted said:

@Arkas said:

You are not a writer for the New York Times and lowendbox.com is not a newspaper that can hide behind a "News & Editorial" hyperlink. By publishing these articles on the front page, lowendbox.com is taking the official stance that if you are even vaguely related to free speech topics, lowendbox.com will be trying to drive traffic and customers away from your service. This is a mind-bogglingly stupid stance to take for a site that solely exists to promote VPS service, but so be it.

If the owner is explicitly trying to rebrand to become yet another 'hot tech opinions' aggregator, fine, but lowendbox.com needs to be more honest about their biased tilt if so. God help you if you anger any of the "writers" and they then use their pulpit to try to destroy your business every week.

Considering Joshua Moon contacted the help desk yesterday using the exact same wordage you’re using, it would not surprise me one bit to find out you’re Josh on a brand new burner account.

You’re free to read whatever articles you’d like. I posted an article about a Polish host being seized by the FBI. How is a host not related to hosting?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited August 2023

@SirFoxy said:

@AeroRouted said:

@Arkas said:

Even when the farmers brigade here it's less problematic than similar behavior from their apparent main detractors, so the article took the right direction for it's intent: to draw in traffic.

I wouldn't have written it that way because I value my commitment to free speech more highly than I value traffic, but that's a personal choice. But I also wouldn't write a positive article about a complete asshole with a secret fetish that exposes itself in the creepiest of ways over and over again.

But that's not much to do with this thread I suppose, sorry!

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited August 2023

I don't like or care for kiwifarms.

I don't like or care for lowendbox and the articles on it (sorry for those who spend time contributing, it doesn't bring me any value).

The recent articles there are strongly opinionated and it changes the dynamic of what was historic to LEB. Which is just changing in a different way and should be recognized as such. People will complain about not liking it. Others will praise it. Basically, either sides shouldn't really take it too seriously unless you have actual skin in the game.

SirFoxy's writing isn't really for me (sorry bud. Not trying to dogpile. The super opinionated pieces are a major turnoff for me. But I've given a few of your articles a read and know it's not for me and kept my mouth shut until now). But that doesn't mean he isn't trying and putting something out there. Stronger language results in stronger results (most of the time) especially since we're in a corner of the world that's very opinionated. As much as I'd like to say I don't give a shit about kiwifarms I also recognize that there are those who support it and have a different perspective or idea of what it represents.

Basically, this isn't related to anything in this thread but yall are a bunch of idiots getting sweaty over this lol. LEB is just another website that's taking a different direction. Free speech doesn't mean dick here because this is a private blog. If you have a problem with the content just stop reading. If enough of you stop reading then maybe the site will change again or it'll just be broadcasting to the abyss. If you can do it better then start your own blog.

Yall put too much emphasis on a stupid website. Just like how there will always be a LEB/LET after you leave, if you don't like it then throw your own hat into the ring and see what goes. SirFoxy's at least putting himself out there.

• @HalfEatenPie said:

I don't like or care for lowendbox and the articles on it (sorry for those who spend time contributing, it doesn't bring me any value).

The recent articles there are strongly opinionated and it changes the dynamic of what was historic to LEB. Which is just changing in a different way and should be recognized as such. People will complain about not liking it. Others will praise it. Basically, either sides shouldn't really take it too seriously unless you have actual skin in the game.

SirFoxy's writing isn't really for me (sorry bud. Not trying to dogpile. The super opinionated pieces are a major turnoff for me. But I've given a few of your articles a read and know it's not for me and kept my mouth shut until now). But that doesn't mean he isn't trying and putting something out there. Stronger language results in stronger results (most of the time) especially since we're in a corner of the world that's very opinionated. As much as I'd like to say I don't give a shit about kiwifarms I also recognize that there are those who support it and have a different perspective or idea of what it represents.

Basically, this isn't related to anything in this thread but yall are a bunch of idiots getting sweaty over this lol. LEB is just another website that's taking a different direction. Free speech doesn't mean dick here because this is a private blog. If you have a problem with the content just stop reading. If enough of you stop reading then maybe the site will change again or it'll just be broadcasting to the abyss. If you can do it better then start your own blog.

Yall put too much emphasis on a stupid website. Just like how there will always be a LEB/LET after you leave, if you don't like it then throw your own hat into the ring and see what goes. SirFoxy's at least putting himself out there.

Fair point, for the business side of things I was hired 4 months ago:

Thanked by 1jar
  • Interesting. I didn't realize you were just a professional agitator and propagandizer. I at least admire your willingness to admit that.

As the only thing that matters to lowendbox.com anymore is apparently impressions at any cost, I'll help out by never visiting again. Good luck.

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • @AeroRouted said:
    Interesting. I didn't realize you were just a professional agitator and propagandizer. I at least admire your willingness to admit that.

As the only thing that matters to lowendbox.com anymore is apparently impressions at any cost, I'll help out by never visiting again. Good luck.

The wordage you’re using here tells me you were never a LEB/LET regular, but rather a Kiwi Farms regular.

Plus, I mean, the fact you joined LET today.

Thanked by 3jar Arkas emgh
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

It is against the rules to use alt accounts in general, and especially by a banned member. @AeroRouted , you are out.

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited August 2023

@SirFoxy said:

@HalfEatenPie said:

Yeah and you're not wrong. If your priority is just to drive traffic and readership numbers then you've done it. Not only have you done it but you've done a VERY good job at driving traffic in general so props to you for that. But like I said, it's not something I'm interested in and has put me off. But for others they might enjoy this.

The reason why I said LEB is changing is because the topics that are published have changed. What was originally technical articles focused on expanding the knowledge and squeezing the value of virtual servers (aka, a low end box) with relevant offer posts has changed to just more offer threads to more and more (to now where I'd categorize it as very) opinionated articles about drama and basically trying to bring on interviews with folks who have colorful past with this community.

This drives engagement and readership sure because drama is entertainment. But that also means LEB has shifted its role (in my eyes) from a technical source where nerds and geeks can expand their knowledge to something equivalent to TMZ for hosting. It is what it is but hey, the website needs to survive.

I'm just expressing that it's not something I quite fancy. But people change and websites change so... whatever.

Thanked by 2SirFoxy crunchbits
  • SirFoxySirFoxy Member
    edited August 2023

@HalfEatenPie said:

@SirFoxy said:

@HalfEatenPie said:

Yeah and you're not wrong. If your priority is just to drive traffic and readership numbers then you've done it. Not only have you done it but you've done a VERY good job at driving traffic in general so props to you for that. But like I said, it's not something I'm interested in and has put me off. But for others they might enjoy this.

The reason why I said LEB is changing is because the topics that are published have changed. What was originally technical articles focused on expanding the knowledge and squeezing the value of virtual servers (aka, a low end box) with relevant offer posts has changed to just more offer threads to more and more (to now where I'd categorize it as very) opinionated articles about drama and basically trying to bring on interviews with folks who have colorful past with this community.

This drives engagement and readership sure because drama is entertainment. But that also means LEB has shifted its role (in my eyes) from a technical source where nerds and geeks can expand their knowledge to something equivalent to TMZ for hosting. It is what it is but hey, the website needs to survive.

I'm just expressing that it's not something I quite fancy. But people change and websites change so... whatever.

Fair. It’s a bit of both, you can still find more technical articles on there.

If anyone outside of here looked at LEB, they would still consider most of the topics technical in nature, too. Maybe less than in the past though, sure.

But yeah, most of mine are story driven, not technical driven, because I’m casting a wider net to bring a broader audience to LEB/LET and it results in higher engagement.

Over the last couple of months traffic is up from leaning on more story driven content, so, it works.

More traffic to LEB means more traffic to LET which means more revenue generated for the providers here. Plus, LET is still a great resource for intelligent and technical user created content.

You can then harness that attention and do things like promote the @crunchbits “raindog308 20k” offer and direct it back into the community.

I also did this for @Calin @jar @MrRadic and @FlorinMarian.

I have no personal vendetta against Kiwi Farms lol. It’s just a highly engaging topic with an interesting story people (in this audience) are attracted to.

• crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

Really well said in both posts.

@SirFoxy said:

I heavily considered not renewing our provider tag for the reasons @HalfEatenPie had laid out. However, that would have been an emotional rather than logical/transactional decision at this point. It's just not my cup of tea with regards to the topics covered lately and the direction it appears to be moving (TMZ-ification) versus more of the 'nerdy' technical source stuff. Still, you do write well @SirFoxy and the traffic stats are clearly improving from what you share. Quite impressive, actually. I don't want to have anything I say misconstrued as a slight against you or the hard work done (and I don't personally think you ever took it as such).

I also am not naive enough to think what I want to read is what the majority wants, and LEB/LET is a business with bills to pay. Absolutely makes sense, service provider or LEB: nobody wants to stagnate.

Now, is that traffic going to be quality traffic that will actually matter to provider tags and/or will it remain on the site when the flavor-of-the-month drama ends? We'll see ;)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@AeroRouted said: the identity politics ring

I don't think you're using that term correctly. Wikipedia: "Identity politics is politics based on a particular identity, such as race, nationality, religion, gender, sexual orientation, social background, social class."

@neckbreaker said: I have no idea why @jbiloh allows it. But seems like money is more important than ANY morals.

I'm not sure what's immoral about having an opinion.

@AeroRouted said: You are not a writer for the New York Times and lowendbox.com is not a newspaper that can hide behind a "News & Editorial" hyperlink. By publishing these articles on the front page, lowendbox.com is taking the official stance

No we're not.

BTW, Joshua Moon rejected an interview offer.

But if anyone wants to write a piece defending KF, defending hosting KF, or something like that, ticket in and I'll take a look.

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • @crunchbits said:

Really well said in both posts.

@SirFoxy said:

I heavily considered not renewing our provider tag for the reasons @HalfEatenPie had laid out. However, that would have been an emotional rather than logical/transactional decision at this point. It's just not my cup of tea with regards to the topics covered lately and the direction it appears to be moving (TMZ-ification) versus more of the 'nerdy' technical source stuff. Still, you do write well @SirFoxy and the traffic stats are clearly improving from what you share. Quite impressive, actually. I don't want to have anything I say misconstrued as a slight against you or the hard work done (and I don't personally think you ever took it as such).

I also am not naive enough to think what I want to read is what the majority wants, and LEB/LET is a business with bills to pay. Absolutely makes sense, service provider or LEB: nobody wants to stagnate.

Now, is that traffic going to be quality traffic that will actually matter to provider tags and/or will it remain on the site when the flavor-of-the-month drama ends? We'll see ;)

Thanks! I think you’re an intelligent business owner and you’ll continue to grow Crunchbits to new heights.

I think the biggest thing to consider is this is very much a B2C marketplace that allows that wider net to be cast. As you saw with your most recent sale there’s definitely a very large, targeted, and profitable audience for hosting providers here.

Plus, there’s always room for change, nothing is static. There could be more technical articles.

If I was writing for a B2B SaaS that pursues clients like Microsoft, the copy would be different. I simply write what the audience engages best with.

I can assure you the LowEndDrama never ends and the LowEndUniverse will continue to provide entertainment for as long as it exists :smile:

• Yeah well the true conversion (or rationale for hosting companies to pay for patron provider status) is based on the quality of traffic and the conversion of that traffic to paying customers.

E.g., interesting technical articles might pique someone's interest in "Hey I want to run this." -> I need a server -> Crunchbits offer on the front page -> Conversion.

It's why I sometimes check /r/selfhosted sometimes. Or even github explore. It's what I think would be interesting for LEB to look into, like the awesome-selfhost list.

Thanked by 2SirFoxy RIYAD
  • SirFoxySirFoxy Member
    edited August 2023

@HalfEatenPie said:
    Yeah well the true conversion (or rationale for hosting companies to pay for patron provider status) is based on the quality of traffic and the conversion of that traffic to paying customers.

E.g., interesting technical articles might pique someone's interest in "Hey I want to run this." -> I need a server -> Crunchbits offer on the front page -> Conversion.

It's why I sometimes check /r/selfhosted sometimes. Or even github explore. It's what I think would be interesting for LEB to look into, like the awesome-selfhost list.

Yeah, I get you. I don’t think you could obtain more profitable (converting) traffic and advertising anywhere else in the B2C hosting space for $200 per year, though.

On FBA or Adwords, you could easily be looking at $200 for the same amount of traffic one thread here provides in a week.

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
  • sillycatsillycat Member
    edited August 2023

And now, returning to the subject, according to Josh, Hurricane Electric responded to the complaint.

Thanked by 2kait jar
This discussion has been closed.