Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

60$/yr VPS Storage KVM/4.5 TB Storage/1 GB DDr4/1core/Ignore DMCA/1x IPv4/Crypto or PP/Only 72 STOCK - Page 8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

60$/yr VPS Storage KVM/4.5 TB Storage/1 GB DDr4/1core/Ignore DMCA/1x IPv4/Crypto or PP/Only 72 STOCK

Comments

• iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran
    edited August 2023

@kuticon said:
    Anyone see an extremely slow disk I/O right now or it's just me? the /storage partition is slow to the point I cannot complete any basic tasks now. I've tried to run some benchmarks to get the numbers but all failed to run. @Calin

I tried to do a ls in a folder on /storage with 3 or 4 files in and it took around 45 seconds.

• @kuticon said:
    Anyone see an extremely slow disk I/O right now or it's just me? the /storage partition is slow to the point I cannot complete any basic tasks now. I've tried to run some benchmarks to get the numbers but all failed to run. @Calin

same here.
    /storage partition is barely usable.
    Just writing a simple text file on it, took almost 1 minute.

• fabwafabwa Member
    edited August 2023

Same here.. benchmark tests won't even start & node was rebooted automatically

• CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider

Hello , today we fixed problem about I/O , lot of people make transfer files and ARC it's on full load , for fix problem only need make a ram memory upgrade

Regards

• RapToNRapToN Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2023

@Calin said:
    Hello , today we fixed problem about I/O , lot of people make transfer files and ARC it's on full load , for fix problem only need make a ram memory upgrade

Regards

Shouldn't you install enough RAM before commissioning?
    Or is the problem only that too little ARC was assigned?

I am partly not sure how exactly your statements are to be understood.

@RapToN said: Shouldn't you install enough RAM before commissioning?

>

I had installed default 256 GB ram, but after I enabled dedup in ZFS Config,ram consumption almost doubled

Regards

• fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):

Block Size 4k (IOPS) 64k (IOPS)
    Read 1.00 KB/s (0) 1.27 MB/s (19)
    Write 1.00 KB/s (0) 1.36 MB/s (21)
    Total 2.00 KB/s (0) 2.64 MB/s (40)
    Block Size 512k (IOPS) 1m (IOPS)
    ------ --- ---- ---- ----
    Read 6.14 MB/s (11) 809.00 KB/s (0)
    Write 6.92 MB/s (13) 871.00 KB/s (0)
    Total 13.06 MB/s (24) 1.68 MB/s (0)

Geekbench 6 test failed. Run manually to determine cause.

YABS completed in 59 min 55 sec

• RapToNRapToN Member, Host Rep

@Calin said:

@RapToN said: Shouldn't you install enough RAM before commissioning?

>

I had installed default 256 GB ram, but after I enabled dedup in ZFS Config,ram consumption almost doubled

Regards

I would advise you not to test such customizations on systems with customers, even if this causes some costs.

Even at your prices, I can't understand how anyone should really use your service if there are always such extreme problems (and this has been going on for a long time now).

@RapToN said: I would advise you not to test such customizations on systems with customers, even if this causes some costs.

>

I tested dedup on a test node, everything works perfectly and HDDs no longer disconnect from raid, so I moved this configuration to production nodes

The only thing that still needs to be done is upgrade to RAM

Regards

• @Calin said:

@RapToN said: I would advise you not to test such customizations on systems with customers, even if this causes some costs.

>

I tested dedup on a test node, everything works perfectly and HDDs no longer disconnect from raid, so I moved this configuration to production nodes

Regards

Whats the ETA?

@fabwa said: Whats the ETA?

>

We try in next 2 hours finish this process

Regards

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

I just copied a 13 MB file to the "big disk". It took almost two and a half minutes that is, the speed was solidly below 100 KB/s.

@Calin I didn't buy a ticket for an adventure trip but for a storage VPS!
    I'm increasingly under the impression that you got it the wrong way around. First a reasonable provider gets their act together and their node working properly and tested. Only then they start sales!

Thanked by 2RapToN msallak1
  • @Calin said:

>

Regards

What's the ETA on the RAM upgrades?

• Exactly my point, we where expecting a solid system to store backups etc not a server that is slow and offline most of the time.

Why use ZFS if you have little experience with it...

• my whole vps is barely usable right now.
    Was expecting some issues, but not that much troubles, honeslty

• vaviloffvaviloff Member
    edited August 2023

@jsg said: I didn't buy a ticket for an adventure trip but for a storage VPS!

Certainly not to gloat, but weren't the price and... provider's background indicative of at least some adventure ahead?

Thanked by 1niknar1900

@wii747 said: Why use ZFS if you have little experience with it...

>
    We know this and from next week we will have a new employee who will take care of the ZFS side , Because remote work is not the best solution, there will be someone who will work physically , for test HDDs , ZFS configurations , recommendations etc...Because we plan to rely heavily on these storage offerings and build more PBs in future , At least until we put the servers on colocation it will be a full-time physical employee

Regards,
    Calin

Thanked by 2wii747 ps20090
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@vaviloff said:

Certainly not to gloat, but weren't the price and... provider's background indicative of at least some adventure ahead?

Agreed, but (a) the pricing made it seem highly likely that many LETters would buy anyway, and (b) I, possibly, even likely wrongly assumed that @Calin had learned his lesson after his past, uhm, not exactly smooth sailing.

• @vaviloff said:

Certainly not to gloat, but weren't the price and... provider's background were indicative of at least some adventure ahead?

I agree, I purchased the VPS with reasonable expectations with possibly:

• 1-2 data loss events a year
    • 75% uptime
    • Possibly the VPS completely disappearing randomly from my account

I did not expect anything more and set my expectations reasonably and jumped into an exciting adventure!

@jsg
    A bumpy ride is more exciting than a smooth sailing :smile:

Thanked by 1Kris
  • @Calin said:

@wii747 said: Why use ZFS if you have little experience with it...

>
    We know this and from next week we will have a new employee who will take care of the ZFS side , Because remote work is not the best solution, there will be someone who will work physically , for test HDDs , ZFS configurations , recommendations etc...Because we plan to rely heavily on these storage offerings and build more PBs in future , At least until we put the servers on colocation it will be a full-time physical employee

Regards,
    Calin

• Guys order the cheapest storage on the internet and complain about quality :D Hang in there @Calin but keep us posted..

• 521,699,328 5% 30.47kB/s 80:55:43 :#

• avg-cpu: %user %nice %system %iowait %steal %idle
    0.00 0.00 0.13 74.84 0.13 24.91

:s

Hello @nullptr it's possible give us more screenshots about ? That it s very wired , the main node CPU it s maximum 20% usage and I/O it's 16%

https://uptime.ihostart.com/report/uptime/e91598904c79c0f4ac6b5c2a2851e715/

Any other people have this problems?

@nullptr possible share htop and iotop screenshots

• nullptrnullptr Member
    edited August 2023

I can't even run htop in tmux. Otherwise, it will freeze. And my VPS got reboot automatically about one hour ago, don't know why.

When I found things are going wrong and htop will freeze. I ran iostat, and then reboot. Now I completely lost access after rebooting it 10 minutes ago.

Update: :'( 20 minutes after rebooting, SSH port is still closed. Can't access.

• @Calin any update on the ram upgrade? i have disk io of 100kb/s (without network)

• lxrlxr Member

I've rebooted mine too and the VPS doesn't respond to ping.
    (fstab OK, VPS has already been rebooted)

Just before there are IO waits

• To properly deduplicate 0.5 PB of data, you'd need many TB of RAM, something like 10 TB, or even more to account for various other ZFS caching, which is quite required for good performance. With way less RAM installed than what is required, you're now probably deduplicating through disk (instead in RAM) which is what brought disk performance to a crawl. It's a miracle it works at all!

To make matters worse, once you turn ZFS deduplication on, I think it's not possible to turn it (completely) off anymore, because on-disk format has changed, and deduplication tables are required to access data.

Which is basically a reminder to everybody that this experiment on production service will probably end very badly (unless some TB of RAM can be obtained and installed quickly?). Have your backups ready.

Thanked by 2lorian RapToN
  • and1and1 Member

Unfortunately I did a reset, now it is not booting up anymore, console will not run. I was even not able to mount the /storage partition before my reset.