Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best registrars with a great reputation for freedom of speech
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best registrars with a great reputation for freedom of speech

Like with my other thread about the best US-based registrars with really good and fast customer service, separately, I am also looking for the best registrars with a great reputation for freedom of speech.

• Preferably US-based, but does not have to be US-based
  • Track record of resistance to groups who falsely accuse about abuse and political bias
  • Has a solid company culture of respecting freedom of speech
  • Preferably has good customer service
  • No big scandals like Epik, etc...
  • Has Whois privacy, BUT anonymous domain ownership NOT needed (i.e.: Njalla-type service not needed)
  • This is for freedom of speech, NOT about DMCA-ignore - however, they do need to have a very good procedure so they are not trigger-happy about taking down domains falsely accused of DMCA or other similar issues

Comments

• NanjaNanja Member
    edited June 2023

I think Gandi fits all of those, not US though.

• Preferably US-based, but does not have to be US-based

Gandi is French

• Track record of resistance to groups who falsely accuse about abuse and political bias

In 2009, Gandi refused to comply with a French court order to shut down the domain name of WikiLeaks. WikiLeaks is a website that publishes classified information, and the French government was trying to censor it. Gandi argued that the court order violated the right to freedom of speech.

In 2011, Gandi refused to comply with a Turkish court order to shut down the domain name of a website that was critical of the Turkish government. Gandi argued that the court order violated the right to freedom of expression.

In 2014, Gandi refused to comply with a Chinese court order to shut down the domain name of a website that was critical of the Chinese government. Gandi argued that the court order violated the right to freedom of speech.

• Has a solid company culture of respecting freedom of speech

Gandi supports EFF

• Preferably has good customer service

Gandi domain registrar has good support. They offer 24/7 customer support via chat, email, and phone.

• No big scandals like Epik, etc...

No

• Has Whois privacy, BUT anonymous domain ownership NOT needed (i.e.: Njalla-type service not needed)

Gandi does have Whois privacy

• This is for freedom of speech, NOT about DMCA-ignore - however, they do need to have a very good procedure so they are not trigger-happy about taking down domains falsely accused of DMCA or other similar issues

They refuse to comply with government censorship orders.
    They offer free speech protections to their customers.
    They educate the public about the importance of freedom of speech.
    They work with other organizations to defend freedom of speech.

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited June 2023

@Nanja said: Track record of resistance to groups who falsely accuse about abuse and political bias

Not true, they will kick you out for anything that isn't left leaning or far-left.
    They will also accuse of things that never happened just to get you out. They are absolute garbage.

@Nanja said: Gandi is French

Red flag.

Any registar based out of France or Germany claiming to support freedom of speech is lying. Both countries are ruled by communist neo-libs that want to totally exterminate the other political side however they can.
    Both countries are on the verge of collapsing because of their far-left political decisions.
    One call from terrorist org like ADL, and you are flying out in a matter of seconds, no court order needed.

They will happily host Antifa calling for death of their enemies, but if you represent equally extremist views but from the right side - you are out. Flokinet is a good example of that, they are also Germans that claim to offer freedom of speech, but in reality they don't.

Thanked by 2hyperblast jlet88
  • I think crazydomains.com is a good choice
    I've actually experienced problems with political and religious satire
    I think crazydomains handles this issue very well

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • Wait for NameCrane?

• @treesmokah said: They will also accuse of things that never happened just to get you out. They are absolute garbage.

Happened to the Kiwifarms:

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@NewbieInTraining said:
    Wait for NameCrane?

:smile:

Francisco

Thanked by 3kait treesmokah jlet88

He's still at the mercy of whomever he resells.

Francisco

• I see Daily Stormer uses PublicDomainRegistry (PDR) with their domain listed on Wikipedia.
    Don't know if it is a solid choice, the site management is probably expecting to get their domain(s) suspended at some random moment.

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Francisco said: He's still at the mercy of whomever he resells.

For sure but at least you're getting someone you can talk to and has some clue about these topics.

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • @NewbieInTraining said:
    Wait for NameCrane?

guess rocksolid... in 2028?

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

@Francisco said:

He's still at the mercy of whomever he resells.

Francisco

I don't think NameCheap or IBS is known for pulling domains for controversial speech, are they? We've definitely got some domains that'd fall into this category and haven't had any issues from them.

We already disallow and screen for obvious phishing and domains we suspect will be used for abuse.

Either way, will be reselling Namecrane once that's ready.

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • @MannDude said: NameCheap

They are great in terms of free speech, not as good as Epik obviously, but good enough.
    Doxbin use/d them for a long time.

Thanked by 1jlet88
    edited June 2023

@treesmokah said:

@MannDude said: NameCheap

They are great in terms of free speech, not as good as Epik obviously, but good enough.
    Doxbin use/d them for a long time.

Exactly. Now, it's hard telling what their stance would be should some large targeted woke Twitter mob started actively campaigning against them... But we've definitely registered a handful of controversial domains that any major registar could easily have a filter/screen for if they didn't want stuff like that registered.

If you're truly hosting controversial stuff and attract that level of reaction from online basement dwellers, best course of action is to have your eggs in different baskets anyway. Register the .com there, the .net over there, the .cx here, the whatever wherever. Spread that stuff out.

But as we've all observed with KiwiFarms, it doesn't really matter how much you support freedom of speech or how deep your pockets is: Everything available through the internet more or less has an upstream outside of your control that may be more likely to take action, even if unjustified.

Thanked by 1jlet88

@hyperblast said:

@NewbieInTraining said:
    Wait for NameCrane?

guess rocksolid... in 2028?

No no, this year. Promise.

Francisco

• emghemgh Member
    edited June 2023

@sillycat said:

@treesmokah said: They will also accuse of things that never happened just to get you out. They are absolute garbage.

Lmao, registrars fault I didn’t backup

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • @emgh said:

@sillycat said:

@treesmokah said: They will also accuse of things that never happened just to get you out. They are absolute garbage.

They could be sued for what they did, that's straight up defamation.

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • emghemgh Member

@treesmokah said:

@emgh said:

@sillycat said:

Everyone can be sued for anything.

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited June 2023

@emgh said:

@treesmokah said:

@emgh said:

@sillycat said:

Of course, but it doesn't mean you gonna win :)
    In Gandi case, they fucked up big time. But what to expect from French company, they are forced by the Govt to destroy freedom of speech while "friendly immigrants" rape women in Paris and aren't prosecuted for it.

Thanked by 2emgh jlet88
  • emghemgh Member

@treesmokah said:

@emgh said:

@treesmokah said:

@emgh said:

@sillycat said:

Of course, but it doesn't mean you gonna win :)
    In Gandi case, they fucked up big time. But what to expect from French company, they are forced by the Govt to destroy freedom of speech while "friendly immigrants" rape women in Paris and aren't prosecuted for it.

Bruh moment

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • emghemgh Member

Hurr durr immigurr

@MannDude said: I don't think NameCheap o

Unless of course you're Russian, and then they'll plan to terminate all of your domains with a few days notice.

Francisco

• emghemgh Member

@Francisco said:

@MannDude said: I don't think NameCheap o

Unless of course you're Russian, and then they'll plan to terminate all of your domains with a few days notice.

Francisco

You don’t hire any immigrants (rapists) right? Asking for a friend

• @Francisco said: Unless of course you're Russian, and then they'll plan to terminate all of your domains with a few days notice.

well, if they register over Incognet, namecheap(nor incognet) will know they are russians :)

Thanked by 1MannDude

@treesmokah said:

@Francisco said: Unless of course you're Russian, and then they'll plan to terminate all of your domains with a few days notice.

well, if they register over Incognet, namecheap(nor incognet) will know they are russians :)

Bingo.

Thanked by 1jlet88
    edited June 2023

@treesmokah said: well, if they register over Incognet, namecheap(nor incognet) will know they are russians

My point is they aren't a neutral registrar and will make choices based on personal/political beliefs. The topic is about freedom of speech registrars.

Internet.bs is likely neutral until they find some old ass complaint then yeet you for 5 days because they have 1 guy that comes in part time on Friday afternoon to process tickets. We had a run in with them multiple times now where someone got comp'd on BuyShared and the abuser was using our whitelabel domain to push their crap. We suspended the user quickly. 6 months later internet.bs suspends the domain for the complaint, not verifying it at all.

Francisco

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • @Francisco said: My point is they aren't a neutral registrar and will make choices based on personal/political beliefs. The topic is about freedom of speech registrars.

I agree.

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • jlet88jlet88 Member

Thanks guys. I've used almost all the ones mentioned, but I'm still figuring out which registrars to put my most sensitive domains in, when push comes to shove. Thanks again for the all the comments and recommendations.

One strategy that makes a lot of sense to me is to spread the domains around as @MannDude suggested, so I'll look at that too.

BTW, like I mentioned, Whois privacy is important, but anonymous domain ownership is not needed. And I respect @MannDude's stance on freedom of speech, but the anonymous domain ownership reselling approach he offers is a different kind of situation. That's a privacy abstraction feature, which is also something important to many people, but not needed in my case. I have no problem with the registrar knowing who I am, I just don't want them to shut down the domain because of mob or political pressure. Which happens way too often!

Now I haven't had a viral situation yet that has awakened a mob that then forces a registrar to bow down to their demands, which is indeed one of the things I'm trying to avoid (among other similar kinds of events). But it's a matter of time. What I'm posting would ( or at least should ) be considered protected speech by the vast majority of freedom-of-speech advocates in the US, but sadly it's also the kind of thing that gets attacked and sometimes successfully squashed by the mob.

And to clarify, none of the content on my domains is illegal, and none of it is hate speech (which is another conversation BTW re: the context of what freedom of speech/press is), but since the mob doesn't care about any kind of sanity sometimes, and most online mobs tend to have a bias in one political direction in the US these days, I've seen enough examples of registrars (and hosting providers, etc.) giving in to pressure that doesn't even make sense with their own TOS/AUP. It's amazing how quickly some providers will wash their hands of their own principles.

Anyway, thanks again, and let me know any other thoughts about this!

And yes, I'm looking forward to @Francisco's NameCrane. It's very sad what happened with Epik, too many problems and incidents to trust them again IMO, most of those problems self-inflicted. We need NameCrane asap, please.

• jlet88jlet88 Member
    edited June 2023

@Francisco said:
    Internet.bs is likely neutral until they find some old ass complaint then yeet you for 5 days because they have 1 guy that comes in part time on Friday afternoon to process tickets. We had a run in with them multiple times now where someone got comp'd on BuyShared and the abuser was using our whitelabel domain to push their crap. We suspended the user quickly. 6 months later internet.bs suspends the domain for the complaint, not verifying it at all.

This is precisely one of my concerns.

@jlet88 said: This is precisely one of my concerns.

Its happened 2 - 3 times and is why we've disabled userdir on (almost?) all shared/reseller nodes. Lots of people use the whitelabel domains, or setup CNAME's to point their own domain to it, so it just ends up with us getting 100's of tickets about it. It's dumb when it would've taken a minute to check.

Francisco

Thanked by 1jlet88