Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best registrars with a great reputation for freedom of speech - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best registrars with a great reputation for freedom of speech

1235»

Comments

• @hyperblast said:

@treesmokah said:

@paco said: I'm parking at nja.la

I do not recommend.
    Especially for parking, as you leave the domain completely in their hands, they own it on paper and can legally run away with it.

And considering that they've done it in the past, maybe not the best idea.

nja.la is just as unadvisable as floki.net

Because of the left leaning bias?

• @SirFoxy said:

@hyperblast said:

@treesmokah said:

I do not recommend.
    Especially for parking, as you leave the domain completely in their hands, they own it on paper and can legally run away with it.

because of the dream wedding!

• @hyperblast said:

@SirFoxy said:

@hyperblast said:

@treesmokah said:

I do not recommend.

because of the dream wedding!

Try some:

https://www.leafly.com/strains/wedding-cake

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@MannDude said: Very few domain registrars are actually ICANN accredited.

I was curious about this the other night so I ran through the IANA list of registrars and it really is true. Of the ~2600 still accredited, at least half, maybe more, are just domain drop catchers. Then there's a ton of reg's that just have it for their own personal stuff.

I'd be surprised if there's 1000 accredited reg's around.

Francisco

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • emghemgh Member
    edited June 2023

@Francisco said:

I was curious about this the other night so I ran through the IANA list of registrars and it really is true. Of the ~2600 still accredited, at least half, maybe more, are just domain drop catchers. Then there's a ton of reg's that just have it for their own personal stuff.

Francisco

In Sweden at least, there's nearly more of these "protect your big corps trademark across the world" registrars compared to actual personal client facing registrars.

Markmonitor
    Nameshield
    CSC Corporate Domains
    dotkeeper

so many more, never ending list really

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • SirFoxySirFoxy Member
    edited June 2023

@Francisco said:

Francisco

If a domain register paid its fines and followed the law (per the books), would ICANN ever pressure a register/host/business to take down anything?

• emghemgh Member

@SirFoxy said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

If a domain register paid its fines and followed the law (per the books), would ICANN ever pressure a register/host/business to take down anything?

From my understanding, ICANN takes their own decisions according to their terms based on court orders etc.

So if a domain is in violation of something, and it has been decided in court that the domain needs to be terminated/whatever, I'd doubt ICANN would need the registrar for anything?

But I could be very wrong.

• @emgh said:

@SirFoxy said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

From my understanding, ICANN takes their own decisions according to their terms based on court orders etc.

So if a domain is in violation of something, and it has been decided in court that the domain needs to be terminated/whatever, I'd doubt ICANN would need the registrar for anything?

But I could be very wrong.

I'm a bit curious on the hierarchy / authority of things.

The first thing I think of when I think of "free speech host" is who is above them and how much control they'd really even have when it came to keeping things online.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@SirFoxy said: If a domain register paid its fines and followed the law (per the books), would ICANN ever pressure a register/host/business to take down anything?

That's not a job ICANN wants to get into. So long as you're abiding by the rules of the TLD, and you handle your fees and obligations, then so be it.

@emgh said: So if a domain is in violation of something, and it has been decided in court that the domain needs to be terminated/whatever, I'd doubt ICANN would need the registrar for anything?

The case isn't taken to ICANN in that case, it's sent to the registry. Whenever the feds shut down Nike shoe domains, it's aimed at Versign/etc.

Francisco

• jlet88jlet88 Member

@MannDude said:

@jlet88 said:

@jlet88 said:
    Anyone have experience with Internet.bs?

Apologies, I forgot Fran already commented on Internet.bs - the scenario he mentioned a few pages back is a concern of mine. I think I'll avoid Internet.bs.

Shit happens. Many companies have slipped up in the past. I'd still recommend IBS, even if one company had an issue with them some time ago. Not sure if they have a history of issues like Fran experienced, but i'd still consider them an option.

Fair enough. Will put them back on my list for now and do a little more digging about them. It's interesting that both you and Orange use them. I will look more into their owner, CentralNic.

And yes, I do agree that many companies that are otherwise pretty decent, sometimes slip up on occasion. I agree it's a matter of what their overall track record or pattern is. No one is perfect. But some are definitely better than others.