Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best registrars with a great reputation for freedom of speech - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best registrars with a great reputation for freedom of speech

Comments

• @jlet88 said: culture of respecting freedom of speech

How do you imagine that? Like tutanota did? Or like ddg did with fakes & tons of extremal level of abusing and manipulating information that leads to thousands of deaths and till now a year after - nobody even got any consequences at all. People dead because of that, some procedures frozen, information manipulated and hidden. And at the same time tutanota & duckduckgo = reputable providers.

The same i can tell about Firefox and mozilla itself.
    Another: "freedom for everything good, and against everything evil", did sold for 10+ years all users data to google, and agreed to shrink office & slow-down development and competition in exchange for final check from google in 2021 or 2019 (forgot 400m contract date). Do you know about what this contract is? About selling your private information.

Lets divide your problem a little bit more:

The most basic component of freedom of expression is the right to freedom of speech. Freedom of speech may be exercised in a direct (words) or a symbolic (actions) way. Freedom of speech is recognized as a human right under article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. The right to freedom of speech allows individuals to express themselves without government interference or regulation. The Supreme Court requires the government to provide substantial justification for interference with the right of free speech when it attempts to regulate the content of the speech. Generally, a person cannot be held liable, either criminally or civilly for anything written or spoken about a person or topic, so long as it is truthful or based on an honest opinion and such statements.

So, i can try re-phrase your message:
    "guys, tell me provider where I can violate law, and do awful stuff which will harm other people in the end, but i will not get any problems and consequence's for that. "

Because if you write something like: "X = good, and this X - harm people" - this is not "freedom for speech", this is criminal law. If you write something like: "X good, but you think Y bad, you and me can have different opinions, maybe in result we will have conversation and dialogue where we will find a compromise and solution that will be good for both or how many of us at the same time".

And harmful propaganda: "The earth is flat. Show me proofs that it's not. All maps = flat. Nobody being in space, it's all fiction, just to fool people, and keep control on them".

Do you have a right to have such the latest opinion?
    Of course you do. Do you have right to say that? Yes.
    You can say, write, and do whatever you want. Until one critical moment.
    Until its becomes a problem that harm people by direct or indirect way in medium and long-term period. And not becoming a political topic that affect wide masses and leads to bigger problems and switched perception of reality based on science facts, experiments, and objective reality.

So. If you have an information, verified one, with source, that against government or potentially provoke/trigger government and officials chase you -> thats abuse of your freedoms.

But if you spreading information like: "drinking acid is good idea for kids below 7, because their skin will be much brighter and lighter and very good.", or like it was for example in my country about different groups related to self-harm by unknowing what people doing (mass calls where people did self-harm/self-damage/property-damages because of not knowing what they're doing and because they trusted someone who cheated them, and abused them)).

So why do I write that big wall of text?
    If you doing objective research, investigation, pure objective facts that can be verified with source of information, and so on = this is some kind of journalism and if you because of that got abused by officials/police/government = your rights violated.

If you spreading and changing perception of reality of people and calling black = white, and pink = blue. Or something like that, that directly can't in atomic slice do harm, but in complex actions/organization tasks = can lead to big problems. (like bad quality of fundament when you build a house, only within a time it can fall because of such bad component on what everything else based). If you doing like that and thinking that you're right while others not, and your information affect mostly politics and government and you got shutdown = this is not about freedom of speech, this is about propagandistic work and this is a case for your nation security services to verify you, your income, your relatives and are you associated anyhow with your country enemies. You can be just simple useful idiot, or you can be special agent for doing massive actions and strike two different opinions at the same time to make Chaos in the community. Usually toxic people who affect mood/opinion of others in different communities in the internet - simply ban and restrict access. If you got banned in real life for what you did - do not feel bad about that.

If you doing fakes, manipulations, and post different nonsense related to your opinion, and express your personal vision of reality (subjective) and you think this is how things works and that's how it works only, and there are no any other way around -> you have right for doing that as much as you can. Until -> check paragraph above.

So, based on all information that you wrote in your first post, i think you're looking for something where you can safely violate rights without removing the source of your media. In other words you're or probably already know how you will get traffic, or you will know that soon. Otherwise why need to be protected by human rights, if you will have 0 customers/visitors of your website/blog/platform? Because of what? Who damn cares about another billion + 1 website?

Of course there are also dictatorship countries, where people even minds controlled. Colors that they wear, music that they listen, and so on. But as far as I know - North America & Whole Europe not like that (correct me if i'm wrong, and sorry if not added your country in the list, because i do not know other countries).

So probably start with any provider. And if you will face ANY problem - you will be the first guy who will scream here that your rights violated you kicked out because of your opinion, and right for your opinion, and your information did not harm anybody, but you still got problems.

Thanked by 1Bill_Bones
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

This is a multi cultural International forum. Please take it easy with the remarks...

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • Shot2Shot2 Member

@Arkas said:
    This is a multi cultural International forum. Please take it easy with the remarks...

Isn't the forum hosted in the US though?

• @alt_ said:
    Netim

Any particular evidence to back that up? Not disagreeing, I just don't see them hosting anything particularly "difficult".

@treesmokah said:
    We are the safest country in the Europe.

I'm not trying to start this back up but what country is that? Just wondering. I have no retort or anything pending.

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@Shot2 said: Isn't the forum hosted in the US though?

So? Insulting comment/racist comments will not be tolerated.

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • Shot2Shot2 Member

So much for the world-renowned American right to freedom of opinion and expression :#

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@Shot2 said: So much for the world-renowned American right to freedom of opinion and expression :#

You try saying something Racist in the U.S. and see how well it goes...

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • ahnlakahnlak Member

@Arkas said:

@Shot2 said: Isn't the forum hosted in the US though?

So? Insulting comment/racist comments will not be tolerated.

It's been tolerated pretty well on this thread so far (unless there's a bunch worse that you've hidden, I guess)

• treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited June 2023

I'd give Tucows/Hover a shot, they are being resold by countless anon domain registars claiming to offer freedom of speech and have fairly good track record.

They are Canadians though.

They also openly said they don't give a shit unless you are hosting obviously illegal content(CP, Malware etc) and only react to court orders.

https://web.archive.org/web/20210419095044/https://tucows.com/blog/2017/12/15/why-tucows-doesnt-take-down-domains-for-website-content-issues/

From "exotic" registars;
    https://nicenic.net/ - Chinese, they do not care about absolutely anything, even spamhaus.
    https://www.reg.ru/ - Russian, will be fine unless you talk bad words about russia, so not complete freedom of speech, but depends on hosted content.
    https://eranet.com - Chinese, should not care about anything.

Thanked by 2jlet88 4pple5auc3
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@treesmokah said: I'd give Tucows/Hover a shot

How does Tucows deal with Free speech? They use to suck, but that was over a decade ago. I wonder If I should add them to my list of domains for controversial content.

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited June 2023

@Arkas said:

@treesmokah said: I'd give Tucows/Hover a shot

How does Tucows deal with Free speech? They use to suck, but that was over a decade ago. I wonder If I should add them to my list of domains for controversial content.

Regarding to them, they are not content police as mentioned above.
    So they should be suitable for "controversial" content.
    I'd be interested in giving them a try with fire, their compliance team sadly denied servicing Kiwifarms though.

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • jlet88jlet88 Member

First, thanks again guys for all your comments and feedback! And thanks also for keeping the conversation (mostly) civil! These are really serious topics IMO, and there are understandably a lot of passionate and deeply help opinions about the underlying issues of freedom of speech, and also disagreement about what fully constitutes freedom of speech/expression/press, etc... but I think we all know we won't be able to solve those differences of opinions in a thread like this, especially with assumptions of the motives of other people. But hopefully we can continue to stay on the general topic of registrars with a great reputation for freedom of speech.

@Arkas said:

Thanks for that, @Arkas, the moderators here have a tough job, and I appreciate how well this LET community works, considering the huge range of perspectives and life experiences that people have here. I mean it when I say that I appreciate this forum, the people here, and broad diversity of opinions. I may not agree with a lot of points of view, but I try to respect the fact that a lot of people here may not agree with my own point of view too.

On a personal note, assumptions about what someone else thinks or believes are at the root of most disagreements IMO, and my personal hope is always that we can try to assume the best of people, and not jump down their throats, since we honestly don't know each other's lives and what any of us has really been through. So even with the disagreements here I'm amazed that this community still finds common ground, which deserves kudos to the LET community as a whole, and to the moderators too IMO.

We're on page 3, maybe this is as far as it can go, but I think there's still more useful and relevant info that people might want to share.

Cheers and thanks again to all the folks sharing info.

I will try out some of the registrars I haven't used before, and do some more testing and research! Good comments here, again, very much appreciated.

Thanked by 2SirFoxy Arkas
  • jlet88jlet88 Member

FYI - as a follow-up to my question about NFS or 1984 as a potential registrar for freedom of speech (since no one had more info handy), I did a little more research and found out that neither NFS or 1984 is ICANN accredited at this point. NFS doesn't have plans to become accredited according to their FAQ. But 1984 might have plans to do so, not sure.

Furthermore, NFS uses PDR (Public Domain Registry). And PDR is fully-owned by EIG (Endurance International Group), for those who care to know.

And 1984 apparently uses ResellerClub.

What's interesting to me about these two providers is that ResellerClub's governing jurisdiction is US-Massachusetts, but if you live in India, your jurisdiction is India.

Surprisingly or not surprisingly, PDR's governing jurisdiction is also US-Massachusetts, but if you live in India, your jurisdiction just so happens to be... guess what... India.

And you'd be correct if you deduced ResellerClub is also owned by EIG.

So in other words, NFS and 1984 basically use EIG.

So now, I'm curious what people's experience is with PDR/ResellerClub/EIG?

From what I can tell, both NFS and 1984 appear to have good relationships with them, and seem to trust them enough to use their services.

Worth further discussion IMO. Any thoughts?

• @treesmokah said:
    I'd give Tucows/Hover a shot, they are being resold by countless anon domain registars claiming to offer freedom of speech and have fairly good track record.

They are Canadians though.

They also openly said they don't give a shit unless you are hosting obviously illegal content(CP, Malware etc) and only react to court orders.

https://web.archive.org/web/20210419095044/https://tucows.com/blog/2017/12/15/why-tucows-doesnt-take-down-domains-for-website-content-issues/

From "exotic" registars;
    https://nicenic.net/ - Chinese, they do not care about absolutely anything, even spamhaus.
    https://www.reg.ru/ - Russian, will be fine unless you talk bad words about russia, so not complete freedom of speech, but depends on hosted content.
    https://eranet.com - Chinese, should not care about anything.

I'm pretty sure Eranet (Hong Kong/China) and some Russian registrars killed off KiwiFarms and DailyStormer. I believe they both only did so after getting contacted though by their own governments. So even Russia and China will sometimes give in to the mob even if the site isn't relevant to their country. Granted, lots of pharma, phishing, piracy, spam, and other similar domains seem to be relatively bulletproof in those places.

Unfortunately EPIK was one of the few refuges left for many free speech websites and now that company looks to be going under and losing their accreditation due to horrible mismanagement of customer funds.

Iceland registrars are pretty bulletproof for whistle blower and left leaning politics, but due to their country's laws about hate speech, they still aren't great for all free speech issues.

I think people need to wait for Fran to launch his or hope someone on LET becomes rich enough to get some FU money and make their own.

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • sandozsandoz Veteran

EasyDNS. < This is enough to say everything. Is not cheap.

Thanked by 24pple5auc3 jlet88
  • emghemgh Member

@sandoz said:

Why would you pay not cheap for DNS?

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • 4pple5auc34pple5auc3 Member
    edited June 2023

@sandoz said:

They keep thepiratebay.org domain going. Great company, but I'd just be a little worried about their hand being forced due to their Canadian jurisdiction and some of the terrible laws being introduced there.
    Bill C-11
    Bill C-36
    Bill C-18
    https://easydns.com/blog/2023/01/27/canadas-bill-c-26-yet-another-government-power-grab/

Thanked by 2jlet88 let_rocks
  • jlet88jlet88 Member

@4pple5auc3 said:
    I think people need to wait for Fran to launch his or hope someone on LET becomes rich enough to get some FU money and make their own.

I agree that @Francisco will most likely have a great service... he's got a solid reputation for freedom of speech in the hosting community, as most of us already know. But some people need registrars today... not when Fran wraps up development and launches at some unknown future date.

And also keep in mind that Fran is subject to Canadian laws -- assuming NameCrane will be set up in Canada -- so he'll have some of the same pressures that other Canadian registrars have. But yes, I agree that Fran is likely to be a very good bet, and I will join others in the long line of people that want NameCrane to launch ASAP.

BTW, even if NameCrane becomes the holy grail of registrars, I personally agree that people should not put all their eggs in one basket, as @MannDude suggested in this thread, so I think we need more than one good registrar.

Anyway, the info in this thread is useful, I appreciate it, and I hope for more helpful info if anyone has some more to offer!

• @Francisco is your company registered in Canada or Wyoming? What jurisdiction do you fall under?

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • jlet88jlet88 Member

@emgh said:

@sandoz said:

If it offers the features/services/protections/reputation/track record that you want.

The race to the the bottom of the price wars has many casualties, and it often starts with big companies not caring so much about a troublesome little freedom of speech domain that creates nothing but headaches for them with zero profit margin... so there is often very little incentive to defend freedom of speech when push comes to shove.

I don't mind paying more for my critical domains, if it means I actually get more protection. I'm not talking about the facade of protection or some good marketing speech about freedom of speech. But if a registrar has a real, clear track record of freedom of speech with real credibility, I'll happily pay more. It's just tricky to find out the best ones...

• jlet88jlet88 Member

@4pple5auc3 said:
    @Francisco is your company registered in Canada or Wyoming? What jurisdiction do you fall under?

I'd like to know too, but AFAIK, payments go to Victoria, BC, Canada.

• emghemgh Member

@jlet88 said:

@emgh said:

@sandoz said:

If it offers the features/services/protections/reputation/track record that you want.

The race to the the bottom of the price wars has many casualties, and it often starts with big companies not caring so much about a troublesome little freedom of speech domain that creates nothing but headaches for them with zero profit margin... so there is often very little incentive to defend freedom of speech when push comes to shove.

I don't mind paying more for my critical domains, if it means I actually get more protection. I'm not talking about the facade of protection or some good marketing speech about freedom of speech. But if a registrar has a real, clear track record of freedom of speech with real credibility, I'll happily pay more. It's just tricky to find out the best ones...

If you’re not Kiwi, Cloudflare has outstanding performance and festures and are very solid.

$0

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • emghemgh Member

@jlet88 said:

@4pple5auc3 said:
    @Francisco is your company registered in Canada or Wyoming? What jurisdiction do you fall under?

I'd like to know too, but AFAIK, payments go to Victoria, BC, Canada.

99 % sure it’s Canada

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2023

Namecrane is operating out of Wyoming from the get go. You can check the Wyoming business registrations and see we registered it a couple years ago. It's still active/in good standing.

Frantech itself won't have any shares/ownership/etc in Namecrane, it'll just resell it.

EDIT - clarity.

Francisco

Thanked by 2jlet88 let_rocks
  • jlet88jlet88 Member

@emgh said:

@jlet88 said:

@emgh said:

@sandoz said:

If you’re not Kiwi, Cloudflare has outstanding performance and festures and are very solid.

$0

I'm not Kiwi, but I'm not a fan of Cloudflare. They've been good to some sites, and not so good to others. I don't like their inconsistency, and they have caved in enough times to pressure IMO that I would prefer not to touch them ever again (although in all honesty I may actually still have a couple of domains left with them... thanks for reminding me to go check and pull them out!). Also, you are locked into their DNS if you use their registrar services.

But Cloudflare might be perfect for someone else, so I definitely appreciate that it's mentioned.

• jlet88jlet88 Member

@Francisco said:
    Namecrane is operating out of Wyoming from the get go. You can check the Wyoming business registrations and see we registered it a couple years ago. It's still active/in good standing.

Frantech itself won't have any shares/ownership/etc in Namecrane, it'll just resell it.

EDIT - clarity.

Francisco

Excellent! Thank you. One more point for Namecrane.

BTW, I can't recall if you have recently mentioned a rough launch timeframe? Anything more you can share?

@jlet88 said: BTW, I can't recall if you have recently mentioned a rough launch timeframe? Anything more you can share?

Paper work with ICANN was officially sent as of mid march. They were paid their application fee a couple days later. They said its around ~4 months or so turn around, so we're mid way through.

For the absolute immediate we'll likely just use Logicbox's registrar API to provision. This will still be under our registrar branding/direct, it's just we use them to register. This'll allow us to sell domains immediately. We eat a small fee on each domain, but that'll just be something we absorb for the time being.

I'll then start working on our own integrations with the registrars. The initial system will just be WHMCS w/ our integrations/changes, but in time we'll build the "Stallion of Domains" I guess.

Francisco

Thanked by 2jlet88 JasonM
  • jlet88jlet88 Member

@Francisco said:

@jlet88 said: BTW, I can't recall if you have recently mentioned a rough launch timeframe? Anything more you can share?

Paper work with ICANN was officially sent as of mid march. They were paid their application fee a couple days later. They said its around ~4 months or so turn around, so we're mid way through.

For the absolute immediate we'll likely just use Logicbox's registrar API to provision. This will still be under our registrar branding/direct, it's just we use them to register. This'll allow us to sell domains immediately. We eat a small fee on each domain, but that'll just be something we absorb for the time being.

I'll then start working on our own integrations with the registrars. The initial system will just be WHMCS w/ our integrations/changes, but in time we'll build the "Stallion of Domains" I guess.

Francisco

Thanks, @Francisco, appreciate the update! Best of luck with a speedy approval and smooth launch! I, like many others here, will be signing up for sure.

@jlet88 said: Thanks, @Francisco, appreciate the update! Best of luck with a speedy approval and smooth launch! I, like many others here, will be signing up for sure.

:) We've had many excited people, and many people wanting to resell.

I hope it's a success! If not, well, at least I'll remember to renew my own domains.

Francisco

Thanked by 1jlet88
  • jlet88jlet88 Member

@Francisco said:

@jlet88 said: Thanks, @Francisco, appreciate the update! Best of luck with a speedy approval and smooth launch! I, like many others here, will be signing up for sure.

:) We've had many excited people, and many people wanting to resell.

I hope it's a success! If not, well, at least I'll remember to renew my own domains.

Francisco

If you cultivate the same kind of reputation you have for freedom of speech that you have with your hosting services, then it will be a success. There is a market niche for freedom of speech and privacy providers out there as you know, and given the volatile and often crazy nature of what's going on out there, this market segment is eagerly seeking reputable, reliable solutions. Not to mention a growing call for an "alternative economy" by some in the US. Add good service on top of all that, it's a no brainer. I'm surprised some other providers haven't jumped on this niche yet, so my guess is you'll do very well with it indeed. Best of luck.