Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[MXroute] Spring Promo - $15/year - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[MXroute] Spring Promo - $15/year

Comments

• 1293845012938450 Member
    edited April 2023

Is it me or is the messages menu in directadmin been broken for a while now?

Could not read tickets Unable to open ./data/users/user/tickets.list for reading. No such file or directory

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited April 2023

@12938450 said:

Could not read tickets Unable to open ./data/users/user/tickets.list for reading. No such file or directory

This was intentional and the use of that function is not part of the intended user experience. I broke it on that server to fix a bug that generated complaints while the function was never something I intended for users to view in the first place, so win-win.

As long as DirectAdmin is the front end we use, inconsistencies and cosmetic oddities will be a part of the service. It's more in my interest to look ahead to it's replacement than to spend my time running around patching up all of those things, usually only to have to do it again once I'm done. The number of times their updates break my customizations is just way too high.

• yibeiyibei Member

May I know how is the delivery of your mailbox? Especially for China's 163 mailbox and QQ mailbox, will it be sent to spam or normal inbox? What is the ratio of it?

Thanked by 1jar
  • nqservicesnqservices Member
    edited April 2023

Hey @jar , the end of having mxroute hosted on European Datacenter is a certain in a soon future?

I think you were satisfied with Hetzner and OVH.

I would really hope you could reconsider... and continue to have the option on EU Datacenter.

Thanked by 1jar
    edited April 2023

@yibei said:
    May I know how is the delivery of your mailbox? Especially for China's 163 mailbox and QQ mailbox, will it be sent to spam or normal inbox? What is the ratio of it?

I can only tell you with certainty what I do, I cannot accurately measure the result of inbox vs spam folder at all recipient providers (only Microsoft and fastmail, tbh). It has more to do with your domain and content than our service, because I militantly keep our IP reputation at it's best. No other mail provider works as hard as I do to ensure high outbound delivery quality, I'm pretty confident of that. You can read more about the systems here: https://mxroutedocs.com/features/ipreputation/

@nqservices said:
    Hey @jar , the end of having mxroute hosted on European Datacenter is a certain in a soon future?

I think you were satisfied with Hetzner and OVH.

I would really hope you could reconsider... and continue to have the option on EU Datacenter.

I no longer like Hetzner's desktop grade hardware or OVH's rising costs and month+ long BGP tickets.

I try to sell a service and not a location. I'll always do what I think is best for the service, and what that is could change at any time.

• yibeiyibei Member

I just registe a account and it talk me #755170 Fraud Order( I think it is because I use Clash when I online,and it's because China Net) .I am not sure if I could continue order the mail service on this account or I need registe a new account ?

• @jar I got a certificate error on all my email clients today. What happened?

@vitobotta said:
    @jar I got a certificate error on all my email clients today. What happened?

Pixel server? Seems like DirectAdmin didn't follow through with certificate renewal properly. Still not sure why but story of my life, I pay for software to do some things and I still have to do it all myself 😂

• @jar said:

@vitobotta said:
    @jar I got a certificate error on all my email clients today. What happened?

Pixel server? Seems like DirectAdmin didn't follow through with certificate renewal properly. Still not sure why but story of my life, I pay for software to do some things and I still have to do it all myself 😂

Yeah Pixel. Looks good now, thanks

Thanked by 1jar

@vitobotta said: Yeah Pixel. Looks good now, thanks

To hopefully never run into it again, I just ran this fleet wide as well:

root@gw:~# darun bash /usr/local/directadmin/scripts/letsencrypt.sh request_single `hostname -f` 4096

Thanked by 1scooke
    edited April 2023

Bad news:

We're getting rid of Afterlogic: https://blog.mxroute.com/discontinuing-afterlogic/

Good news:

We're going public with the code for the in-house control panel: https://github.com/mxroute/controlpanel

The in-house panel has had several private iterations, none complete. Several more complete than this, but it doesn't matter much now. I learned a hundred ways that I don't want to do things, and I've started redoing it in the way that I've found best fits "me" and my style. Some early notes about that code:

• I don't like the way I'm handling login. I want to use CMD_API_GET_SESSION to verify and then only store session_id in the PHP session data, but I can't get CMD_API_GET_SESSION to work as it claims to (as I understand it from what it claims), so I settled on keeping it simple while I move on and I plan to redo it later in the process.

• I may not have thought about every security angle yet with even the code I have, but I continue to go over it with additional thoughts. I welcome any feedback on that.

• This code will not have admin or root access, and at present is not accessible on an MXroute server. It will be designed to always function as the web server user, and only with user supplied login credentials. The goal is to reduce potential attack surfaces and hopefully make even a complete intrusion relatively worthless.

• If the DA API is insufficient for a particular task, I will create private code that functions as listeners to receive requests to perform those tasks, at the desired permission level. Those will be locked down by key, firewall, and they will be heavily filtered on both ends (leaning more toward breaking user input than allowing any code injection, all that jazz). This is how I plan to handle that while keeping the control panel code public.

• There are zero intentional design elements in this code beyond what was necessary to make it functional for testing. I'll probably use one of those "admin panel templates" floating around to jump start the design when the time comes, no need to reinvent the wheel there.

Go ahead and poke fun at me for the code, it's a start and we'll get there. Be thankful I didn't publish my previous iterations.

• Bad Maxmind blocked me :'( Ticket #411453

• ChrisCantwellChrisCantwell Member
    edited April 2023

If I might offer some constructive criticism...

I stumbled across your offer at a time I had need for an SMTP host. The entire subnet of my main webhost ended up on one dubious blacklist that accepts payment for delisting, and this caused Microsoft to bounce all my emails. I have zero other problems and my 3k+ sub newsletter is not spam.

I have a couple of VPSs I bought from listings here and when I checked to see if they were clean, found them listed too.

Looking for a clean network, I saw your offer, and was dismayed to find my requirement wouldn't fall within the spec offered. Specifically that I'd need to send more than 300 emails per hour.

But, given your business name, I thought it worth going over to your site to see if there was some other offer that might meet my requirement, and what I discovered was a site with no clear path to finding the terms of service, acceptable use policy, privacy policy, or even much clarity as to what was being sold.

I'm reasonably confident this is costing you more than a few sales.

• Hi @jar

I am wondering how to get true alias accounts running in MXRoute. Says, emails sent to Administrator@ should arrive at Admin@. I got forwarding running but there are still emails in the Administrator account. Periodically logging in to erase emails would be annoying.

• skorousskorous Member

@ChrisCantwell said:

I stumbled across your offer at a time I had need for an SMTP host. The entire subnet of my main webhost ended up on one dubious blacklist that accepts payment for delisting, and this caused Microsoft to bounce all my emails. I have zero other problems and my 3k+ sub newsletter is not spam.

I have a couple of VPSs I bought from listings here and when I checked to see if they were clean, found them listed too.

Looking for a clean network, I saw your offer, and was dismayed to find my requirement wouldn't fall within the spec offered. Specifically that I'd need to send more than 300 emails per hour.

But, given your business name, I thought it worth going over to your site to see if there was some other offer that might meet my requirement, and what I discovered was a site with no clear path to finding the terms of service, acceptable use policy, privacy policy, or even much clarity as to what was being sold.

Just guessing but Policy at the bottom of the page?

@hades_corps said:
    Hi @jar

I am wondering how to get true alias accounts running in MXRoute. Says, emails sent to Administrator@ should arrive at Admin@. I got forwarding running but there are still emails in the Administrator account. Periodically logging in to erase emails would be annoying.

Just create a forwarder but not a matching email account. Forwarder + account means store and forward, just a forwarder means just forward.

• emgemg Veteran

@jar said:

Just create a forwarder but not a matching email account. Forwarder + account means store and forward, just a forwarder means just forward.

I have been doing the same thing for a long time. I create unique forwarders for each company, website, etc. When spam comes, I can guess who leaked the email address.

-> If you do what I do, consider creating two levels of indirection.

Individual email forwarders point to a common email forwarder that you do not disclose to anyone. The common forwarder points to a real email account. That way, if the real email account goes away or must be changed, you won't have to change all the regular forwarders, only the one common forwarder.

• Can I migrate old email in mxroute? Its easy?

• scookescooke Member

@ChrisCantwell said:

Easily found at the bottom under Policy. Where most other similar services put their links. Easy.

• @jar said:

I see! Thanks.

@emg said:

I have been doing the same thing for a long time. I create unique forwarders for each company, website, etc. When spam comes, I can guess who leaked the email address.

-> If you do what I do, consider creating two levels of indirection.

Individual email forwarders point to a common email forwarder that you do not disclose to anyone. The common forwarder points to a real email account. That way, if the real email account goes away or must be changed, you won't have to change all the regular forwarders, only the one common forwarder.

Why not just use a catch-all email address? I gave each company an email that does not exist and set non-existent mail forward to sort of "postmaster" email. It wouldn't require individual forwarding.

@chiccorosso said:
    Can I migrate old email in mxroute? Its easy?

There's IMAPSync feature where you can download old mails to a new account.

• Finally set up sfp, dmarc, ptr and a whole bunch of other letters of the alphabet(some emails reach gmail inbox yay......). migration is a pain. still might consider mxroute though

• emgemg Veteran
    edited May 2023

@hades_corps said: Why not just use a catch-all email address? I gave each company an email that does not exist and set non-existent mail forward to sort of "postmaster" email. It wouldn't require individual forwarding.

That would work. The advantage is that you can create valid, working email addresses on the fly, at a store, at an event, or anywhere, without the need to access your computer or other device.

Unfortunately, the disadvantages outweigh the advantages, in my opinion. You could be effectively locked into receiving all non-existent email addresses at that domain forever, unless you manually create forwarders later and turn the "forward all" feature off.

You could lose all record of which email addresses you have given out. The situation might become confusing for email address consistency issues. For example, typo'd email addresses would get through anyway. People who work together with you may become confused about which of your email addresses is the "correct one".

The worst part of it all is that you would get all the bot-generated and guessed email address spam that is directed at your domain. No thank you!

All-in-all, I would prefer to continue dropping email for non-existent email addresses, but the idea was creative!

Thanked by 1jar
  • What did you guys change in roundcube?
    Have you made changes open source?

Thanked by 1jar
  • nameinnamein Member

Well done! After extensive real user testing, are there any plans to provide access to webmail.example.com for this interface? Or will this interface simply replace the original RoundCube interface?

Thanked by 1jar
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Had to s/spam/Spam.

It's not OCD, I swear.

Thanked by 1jar

@treesmokah said:

What did you guys change in roundcube?
    Have you made changes open source?

This is the meat of the addition: https://github.com/mxroute/mxlookup

@namein said:

Well done! After extensive real user testing, are there any plans to provide access to webmail.example.com for this interface? Or will this interface simply replace the original RoundCube interface?

I'm on the fence. I'm not sure the plugin/theme license provider would take well to it.

Thanked by 1namein
  • @jar said:

@12938450 said:

This was intentional and the use of that function is not part of the intended user experience. I broke it on that server to fix a bug that generated complaints while the function was never something I intended for users to view in the first place, so win-win.

As long as DirectAdmin is the front end we use, inconsistencies and cosmetic oddities will be a part of the service. It's more in my interest to look ahead to it's replacement than to spend my time running around patching up all of those things, usually only to have to do it again once I'm done. The number of times their updates break my customizations is just way too high.

Squelch error with ?

touch ./data/users/user/tickets.list

Thanked by 1jar

@TimboJones said:

@jar said:

@12938450 said:

Squelch error with ?

touch ./data/users/user/tickets.list

I'd have to make it immutable and that would expand the problem. The data that it populated with was the problem.