Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[MXroute] Spring Promo - $15/year - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[MXroute] Spring Promo - $15/year

Comments

• skxdxskxdx Member

@sh97 said:

@dosai said:
    @jar any chance for $5/year offer?

I remember him saying he's kinda done with it sometime back. I do hope it makes a return, at least for BF23.

This would be one deal i won't even bat an eye, and pull the plug lol! I just need a very small email server to keep my vacant domains working and 5gb is more than enough

• Hands down the best service I've purchased in the past years.
    E-mail deliverability was a pain in the ass before this.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@gshapiro said:
    Is it the first e-mail domain to use with the service

Exactly.

• HotmarerHotmarer Member
    edited March 2023

Expensive, for that price i can eat 10 pizzas

• hochthocht Member

@jar I'm concern about your policy.

Spam found to be intentional will result in us sharing your name, e-mail address, phone number, address, IP address, signup domain, and PayPal email address with FraudRecord.com.

If my account was hacked and the hacker use my account to send spam emails, then my account will be reported?

How do you know for sure it's me and not the hacker? I never send spam email, but if you use my information to report it will cause a lot of trouble for me.

I'm using Sendgrid and Mailgun's services but no one has such nasty terms.

If there is a customer in violation, simply terminate their service. It is too enough.

Thanked by 2darkimmortal jar
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited March 2023

@hocht said:
    @jar I'm concern about your policy.

Spam found to be intentional will result in us sharing your name, e-mail address, phone number, address, IP address, signup domain, and PayPal email address with FraudRecord.com.

If my account was hacked and the hacker use my account to send spam emails, then my account will be reported?

How do you know for sure it's me and not the hacker? I never send spam email, but if you use my information to report it will cause a lot of trouble for me.

I'm using Sendgrid and Mailgun's services but no one has such nasty terms.

If there is a customer in violation, simply terminate their service. It is too enough.

It’s pretty easy to tell intentional vs compromised. I can’t give you a real example, so I’m going to make up one. I’m going to give you an example of two fake emails, from two non customers, and ask you to tell me which one is a spammer and which one is compromised:

[email protected] sends out 4000 emails with the subject “Urgent: verify your coinbase account.” The emails were all sent from 32 different OVH servers. Only 1 of the recipient emails match addresses that the BuyVM WHMCS sent out emails to in the last month. The bounce rate is 25%, the most common reason is “invalid recipient.” One hour prior to this event, Karen received a strange email from a Brazilian shared hosting server with a blank envelope sender.

[email protected] sends out 1000 emails titled “Phil will teach you how to rank #1 on Google” to a list with 50% bounce rate (invalid recipient being the most common error). The emails were sent from the IP that Phil last used to login at accounts.mxroute.com, which is also a residential IP and and a geographical match for his address. There were no unusual inbound emails prior to this event.

Which one of those is compromised, and which one is a spammer? How did you arrive at that conclusion? By the time you answer, you’ll have already lived a moment in my shoes.

Thanked by 1benj0x
  • @jar said: I love you

:D

Thanked by 1jar

@gshapiro said:
    Silly question: What is the hostname entered on the signup used for? Is it the first e-mail domain to use with the service or is it just a unique identifier to use to identify the account?

DirectAdmin requires an initial domain to create an account. It can be fake but if so, make it really fake (ex. placeholderdomain123.pw).

Thanked by 1pepa65
  • ralfralf Member

This post doesn't have enough &

Thanked by 5jar yoursunny bdl kdh pepa65
  • @seikan said:
    This is crazy, I just noticed that I have been using MXRoute since 2014!

I also just noticed, like, just checking out old emails and whatnot and just happened to glance over and see my welcome email from Sept 2015. Whodathunkit! Always been happy. Not coincidently, that was the same year I stopped using webfaction.com (god bless 'em) and moved up to true self-hosting on Linode and DO. Good times.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @BikeHelmet said:

@jar said:

@seikan said:
    This is crazy, I just noticed that I have been using MXRoute since 2014!

Pretty much the beginning. I think it was Dec 2013 the first iteration was launched.

Hehe, how time flies! I still have an invoice from just after then, with a low 3-digit invoice number. Thanks for all the great years of service, Jar! We appreciate your effort and what you've built, more than you'll know!

My first invoice was #9XX. Good memories!

Thanked by 1jar
  • @jar said: [email protected] sends out 4000 emails with the subject “Urgent: verify your coinbase account.”

Thanks, I've closed my buyvm account if karen is getting hacked by empty emails.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @jar will this new api be also available on the storage plans?

Thanked by 1jar
  • emgemg Veteran

$15 is the lowest annual price for an MXroute account that I have seen in a while. If the 25 GB storage limit is sufficient for your needs, I would not wait for a better offer.

Disclaimer: I have no relationship with MXroute, other than as a satisfied customer.

Thanked by 3jar adly coreflux
  • hochthocht Member

@jar said:

It’s pretty easy to tell intentional vs compromised. I can’t give you a real example, so I’m going to make up one. I’m going to give you an example of two fake emails, from two non customers, and ask you to tell me which one is a spammer and which one is compromised:

[email protected] sends out 4000 emails with the subject “Urgent: verify your coinbase account.” The emails were all sent from 32 different OVH servers. Only 1 of the recipient emails match addresses that the BuyVM WHMCS sent out emails to in the last month. The bounce rate is 25%, the most common reason is “invalid recipient.” One hour prior to this event, Karen received a strange email from a Brazilian shared hosting server with a blank envelope sender.

[email protected] sends out 1000 emails titled “Phil will teach you how to rank #1 on Google” to a list with 50% bounce rate (invalid recipient being the most common error). The emails were sent from the IP that Phil last used to login at accounts.mxroute.com, which is also a residential IP and and a geographical match for his address. There were no unusual inbound emails prior to this event.

Which one of those is compromised, and which one is a spammer? How did you arrive at that conclusion? By the time you answer, you’ll have already lived a moment in my shoes.

Thanks for your explaination. Your example is quite easy to know who is spammer. In fact if someone buy your services and share one account for his friend who don't have experience with email. His friend send some email marketing, then the account owner will be reported to FraudRecord instead of his friend, right? I know he would have to bear some of the blame but that punishment was too severe. Are there any convernience ways for them?

I know you're trying to keep a good reputation for your service and your customers. I appreciate that. However I just think that punishment is too heavy and it would be catastrophic if there is a mistake in some cases. It would be great if you adjust this term a bit and try to contact the customer before deciding to impose a penalty on those who are not well-intentioned.

Thanked by 1jar
    edited March 2023

@hocht said:

@jar said:

Thanks for your explaination. Your example is quite easy to know who is spammer. In fact if someone buy your services and share one account for his friend who don't have experience with email. His friend send some email marketing, then the account owner will be reported to FraudRecord instead of his friend, right? I know he would have to bear some of the blame but that punishment was too severe. Are there any convernience ways for them?

I know you're trying to keep a good reputation for your service and your customers. I appreciate that. However I just think that punishment is too heavy and it would be catastrophic if there is a mistake in some cases. It would be great if you adjust this term a bit and try to contact the customer before deciding to impose a penalty on those who are not well-intentioned.

I'm going to say whatever I need to say up front to scare spammers far away. My mission is to do everything possible on my side to help facilitate your outbound emails landing in inboxes at Gmail, Hotmail, etc. To do that, I don't need spammers to think I'm fair and friendly. I need to them to see me as a nuclear power plant that goes off if merely left to it's own devices and not properly controlled. That may sound crazy, but I've got people banging on my door every day with one indirect goal in mind: To destroy everything I've built in a few hours, screwing over all of my customers in the process. I'm either extremely defensive or I'm going to fail. I've made it this far.

So far I think I'm doing a good job, and it is my opinion that anyone not sending unsolicited marketing email has nothing to fear of my behavior.

@vovler said:
    @jar will this new api be also available on the storage plans?

The new control panel will use the DA API and on first release both will be available on all but reseller servers. So you'll still have DA to interface with. I'll hide DA when I add an API translation layer and make sure that the edge cases are taken care of that might drive users back to DA despite having my panel available.

• hochthocht Member

@jar said:
    To do that, I don't need spammers to think I'm fair and friendly. I need to them to see me as a nuclear power plant that goes off if merely left to it's own devices and not properly controlled.

It makes sense.

I'm just curious because it's the first time I've seen this term. But I think profesional spammers will never use real information so they don't care about it. :#

Anyway I think you did well. I will buy one. :)

Thanked by 1jar
  • mustafamw3mustafamw3 Member, Patron Provider

Great services
    Thanks

Thanked by 1jar
  • Awesome offer!

Thanked by 1jar
  • mustafamw3mustafamw3 Member, Patron Provider

Out of curiosity, what with profile picture?

Thanked by 1jar

@mustafamw3 said:
    Out of curiosity, what with profile picture?

That famous moment when Amber Heard's dog stepped on a bee. With an overlay of the flag for the gender I identify as (genderblankie).

• kathirkathir Member
    edited March 2023

@jar When will the new control panel be released ?

Thanked by 1jar

@kathir said:
    @jar When will the new control panel be released ?

If you happen to be on the Arrow server you can use your DirectAdmin credentials here: https://arrow.mxrouting.net/stage1

It's more of a proof of concept for the login system and one API call. The dev version is further along, but that's where I wanted to snapshot it for anyone curious about what I was doing.

I've been hung up on the login system for a really long time. The things I've been trying to do with it make sense, but I've had a lot of trouble getting the end result I desired. I decided to go ahead and store user/pass in server-side session variables temporarily, and move ahead with development, and then circle back to the login system later.

It's a bit tough when you're trying to keep a session open with DA's login system. Like I can open a DA session and pull it's session key to reference the session so I don't have to store credentials even briefly, in any way, but when I try to double confirm the login session by checking the session key against DA's API, DA doesn't seem to want to return the variables it claims to here: https://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=234

Basically I was doing the login, grabbing the session_id, and then turning it back to CMD_API_GET_SESSION (with the visitor's IP) to confirm that the session is valid and the damn thing returns error=1 every time regardless of it all being correct.

So anyway, far more than you asked, but it gives some insight into where I'm at. Which is really all I can say for certain, where I'm at.

Thanked by 3pbx adly omeongth
  • any offers for 50GB?

Thanked by 1jar

@nokstar said:
    any offers for 50GB?

Not at the moment

Still a good few of these in stock. For those who see this: Use promo code LIFE25 for 25% off the lifetime plan. I won’t link it here, but it’s not hard to find.

Thanked by 2Decicus kdh
  • Don_KeedicDon_Keedic Member
    edited March 2023

I didn't even realize what I had bought in 2018 but since then I've come to realize that this service has been the easiest and most guilt free money I spend all year. I had initially bought it just to cut down on the amount of spam I receive in my main inbox but it's came through on some niche cases of troubleshooting IMAP/SMTP (work-related troubleshooting issues) on more than one occasion and being able to depend on email like you'd depend on pinging google.com is a great feeling.

Everyone knows that the only thing worse than having to deal with DNS issues is having to deal with email issues. I've been with MXRoute for going on 5 years now and I can honestly say I don't even know where the "create ticket" button is.

@jar

• Awesome offer, really tempted to get one, just can't find a use for it right now. I'll keep an eye out for MXRoute in the future, the user response looks very positive!

Thanked by 1jar
  • iqbaliqbal Member

love you too!

Thanked by 1jar